Game-Labs Forum
Sir John

Discussion: Should clans be able to customize forts in their ports?

Opinions  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this?

• Yea
    • Nay
    • I might consider this if there were changes to the proposal

Hello, all

I have been wondering recently about this question... could the devs successfully implement customizable forts?  At the moment I cannot see a way, so I put this question to you all and hope you discuss with me.

Perhaps one way this system might work would be in the capacity of the port management screen.  There might be an additional section dedicated to port defenses, where one is brought to a map of the port.  

1126531543_ScreenShot2018-07-08at1_49_19PM.png.ab52deae428ec553311cccb997788314.png

Here, the captain can click on forts within the port and build them, destroy them, or perhaps even move them.  There could also be a system of upgrading... cannon size, heated shot?  Having forts in a port would increase upkeep for the ports, as would upgrades.  I would also hope for a clan conquest competition, to drive conquest and defense.  

Working into the new DLC, could we also see forts flying special flags?  

This all adds to customization, making ports really feel as if they are one's own.  At the moment rvr feels quite impersonal, ports hold little to no significance if not for their resources.  Perhaps this could change that, allow for more strategic ports and more dynamic defenses and defensive strategy that works with fort placement.  

These are barely thought out ideas, I simply want to ask the community their opinions on all this.  

Thank you for reading, happy sailing, 

Sir John

Edited by Sir John
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sir John said:

Hello, all

I have been wondering recently about this question... could the devs successfully implement customizable forts?  At the moment I cannot see a way, so I put this question to you all and hope you discuss with me.

Perhaps one way this system might work would be in the capacity of the port management screen.  There might be an additional section dedicated to port defenses, where one is brought to a map of the port.  

1126531543_ScreenShot2018-07-08at1_49_19PM.png.ab52deae428ec553311cccb997788314.png

Here, the captain can click on forts within the port and build them, destroy them, or perhaps even move them.  There could also be a system of upgrading... cannon size, heated shot?  Having forts in a port would increase upkeep for the ports, as would upgrades.  I would also hope for a clan conquest competition, to drive conquest and defense.  

This all adds to customization, making ports really feel as if they are one's own.  At the moment rvr feels quite impersonal, ports hold little to no significance if not for their resources.  Perhaps this could change that, allow for more strategic ports and more dynamic defenses and defensive strategy that works with fort placement.  

These are barely thought out ideas, I simply want to ask the community their opinions on all this.  

Sir John

Of course, why not.

In EVE, crafting a Titan takes a long time, everyone is busy, and has something to do. This kind of content is needed in NA, definitely.

• Like 2

The question would be, why not?

An interesting thing to invest some time. It could require resources like iron, oak, stone to place or improve the forts.

Also it would open new tactics for the clans owning the port.

• Like 5

Maybe someday. We can always hope.

Along with customizing forts and zones, I always thought it would be cool if player defenders could actually man the fort and control the gunnery. You’d need some new graphics/animations but the mechanics could be the same as a ship’s gunnery.

• Like 2

Another addition could be that if a fort is destroyed during a port battle it must be repaired (gold, oak, iron, stone etc) in order to function in the next port battle. 

• Like 4

I don't give a crap about the forts, but if I'm playing a fee and tax's I need to get something better than what we get now.  We should be able to set the BR we want for a port (within a range) and be able to control the contracts set in that port.  Maybe allow them to boost the forts/towers or you get more with a timer fee than you would normally without?

I think it would be interesting if port BR was based off the amount of tax the port made. So more important ports will naturally have larger battles then less important ports.

• Like 2

Premium forts should require supply and logistics.  These forts could provide extra defense.  Equipping and maintaining a strong fortification should make a port less vulnerable.  But the infrastructure must be dynamic and need upkeep.  With a powerful premium  port, a steady stream of men, repairs, shot and other logistics should be needed to keep it functioning more effectively than a basic port.  A basic port would be simple and could be retained with the current taxes 

Edited by Macjimm
spellingk
  • Like 1

I think being able to decide fort locations is a big enough buff. We dont need stronger forts..I wouldn't mind clans needing to build the forts at significant cost/resources.

• Like 1

I'd like to see some option where a clan can add more forts that members have to supply materials for.  1 Square fort = 50k stone   or something like that.  Clan has to contribute it and then pay extra maintenance. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Christendom said:

I'd like to see some option where a clan can add more forts that members have to supply materials for.  1 Square fort = 50k stone   or something like that.  Clan has to contribute it and then pay extra maintenance. 

agreed. maybe a resource maintenance fee that comes out of the warehouse....or maybe not.

But customization of ports the clan owns and its defenses would be a nice addition.

It could of course create better defenses....but you would also have to be mindful that it would give more points for it being destroyed when a mortar brig ends up killing it. Something to think about I suppose.

Good morning all,

I also have no idea how this would be implemented but it would certainly improve game play. Make the game world more realistic and dynamic.

I also think that clans should be able to have clan docks (separate from personal ones already in game) where they can dock their clan ships. These should show up in game as extra docks like the one that already shows at a port. They should be attackable and if attacked and destroyed the ship docked therein is destroyed with it. (Gives a reason to defend them.) 

Fair sailing and have a great day.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, Sir John said:

Hello, all

Sir John

1 -  Do you think it was a custom for the nation who conquers a new port to destroy the fort and build a new one in another place, or move a fort to another place?

2 - Do you understand that forts have a fix position in game and what you are asking is to the devs waste precious time to develop a new game mechanic just so you feel more at home when fighting a port battle? 

john - " Hey buddy do you see that fort ? It was build by me.  How beautiful it is don't you think?"

Dave - " Are you paying attention to the fort or the enemy fleet charging us?"

I just think there is more important things to do.