Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sunleader

My reasons why this Game will never Succeed....

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Flinch said:

Eve will never have the one thing that NA has; it will never have fun combat encounters

Yet only around 500 players find it fun including me, out of 130-150k sold copies. 

UI, tutorial is not enough to keep players, though they are musts. 

We need meaningful content, more security for newbies, high risk high reward system. There is no need to discover anything, the wheel has already been invented long time ago. 

For me ships are not content, and OP DLC ships definitly not. We have enough ships, we need content first, when we have players base DEVS can release more ships. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100 hours of NA being an average...

That's fairly more than many put in Fallout 4, Elite Dangerous, EFTarkov, etc.

If you check data, a very little %% of players in any game will go over 100 - 250 hours.

Let alone 4000 ! 5000 ! 8000 !!!!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

100 hours of NA being an average...

That's fairly more than many put in Fallout 4, Elite Dangerous, EFTarkov, etc.

If you check data, a very little %% of players in any game will go over 100 - 250 hours.

Let alone 4000 ! 5000 ! 8000 !!!!!!!! 

TBH you should do the comparison with MMOs: how many hours/year may have an EVE online player?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet it is the same, for every 100k subscriptions you'll have 1% with over 100 hours.

Given they work in the baseline of million, 10k with over 100 hours which can be verified in various stats sites.

Roughly 2.5k keep ( paying it !) playing it religiously.

Not that different from NA.

( i did test it before launch for 6 months , thinking it would become the new "Elite" - quickly understood it wouldn't and never ever played it after it went live. just a curiosity )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I bet it is the same, for every 100k subscriptions you'll have 1% with over 100 hours.

Given they work in the baseline of million, 10k with over 100 hours which can be verified in various stats sites.

Roughly 2.5k keep ( paying it !) playing it religiously.

Not that different from NA.

( i did test it before launch for 6 months , thinking it would become the new "Elite" - quickly understood it wouldn't and never ever played it after it went live. just a curiosity )

 

There's just one difference between EVE and Naval Action, but it's essential to explain the different population: in Naval Action you have just two well developed and deep features  (PVP combat and RVR) so either you have constant fun in one of them or you end up quitting the game, in EVE you have at least 50 different well developed and deep activities to choose from, so it's much easier to find things that are fun for you and also to switch from time to time from one to another to ease the boredom.

Edited by victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I guess :) different games for different minds. Glad we have choices.

Though "ease the boredom" is not a selling factor on my book.

Give me NA anyday, sail, spot horizon, attack, fight, sink. Get another ship, go out again.

We make it more complicated than it really is :) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Flinch said:

Eve has the economy, it has the players, it has PVE that has not been changed in a decade (litterally the same missions). 

Eve will never have the one thing that NA has; it will never have fun combat encounters. I'll take PB's over fleet engagements every day of the week. Hours upon hours of being an F1 monkey is nothing compared to sailing in battle in NA.

Eve has meaningful gameplay, because it has a working concept and thoughtful, working mechanics. 

Why is nobody understanding this? People dont play these MMOs just for fun combat, but to make progress and to achieve something in the game. You simply cant do this in NA. Player statistics and NA legends (cancelled?!) should prove that NA just as a meaningless combat arena isnt working. How obvious do things need to become?! 

Just take the economic aspect. Eve has an insane amount of professions/skills/careers. You have the freedom to do whatever you want, and it always will be meaningful and demanded by other players. NA has exactly one profession, and this one profession is absolutely meaningless. Since people can farm and trade labour, a single person could in theory supply the whole server with everything, while everyone else just grinds. Eve wouldnt even laugh about this, so ridiculously bad is this game design.

And it would be easy to improve. Trading, resource production, material crafting, low mid and high tier shipbuilder, upgrade crafting that also can be divided. Possibilities are there. But devs have this "the game needs to work for a single player" mentality, what is simply nonsesense. Then further you can base conquest/politics on e.g. gold and silver, strategically located, needed e.g. to craft the best upgrades, or maybe to allow you to craft 3/5 ships without RNG, just make it important without making it restricting. In addition, vary the production efficiency for different goods in different locations, to also make trading meaningful. Thats a concept that can work.

PvE or PvP doesnt matter if you make it work. But there is a simple reason NA needs to be PvP focussed. Its just so much less work to give players the tools to generate their own content, compared with doing basically the same stuff (and most likely worse) with AI. AI cant even control large ships properly, how do people seriously expect complex PvE content from a small dev team? PvE content can always be added later without problems. But NA needs a working core game at release.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Give me NA anyday, sail, spot horizon, attack, fight, sink. Get another ship, go out again.

The Problem here is you are a experienced player for you it is easy, now we have the problem that a new player needs to discover this and that is not given. Most player will quit before it, even player that played for longer do this. And from Enthusiast like you the game can not survive since it is a age of sail game, eve in comparison is a sifi game and sifi is for the majority a lot more sexy then wooden ships with sails. 

What NA misses like the post above me pointed out is a complex economy and things you can do without high loss risk to hook player and make them stay and then they will test PVP and enjoy this part to.

Also i think threads like this with reasons why the game is bad and cant survive do not help without ideas what to change to make it more fun. Brainstorming-Threads would be much more useful, some of the ideas may be stupid for one person but inspire other ideas that are better and shouldnt be judged there.

Edited by Lonar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon we make it more complicated than it is due to our own wishful thinking.

- Grab ship, sail out, fight.

Player is a "navy" on its own. Player and his clan are a "nation" on its own.

Cannot get more simple than that.

We want it more complex or more simple ?

We want more PvE or more PvP ?

We, the people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We want PVE to get PVP, we want it simple to become complex. Basically we need a better learning or beginner curve. I personally think it is to steep at some point a easy fun entrance and after you had your fun there you discover complexity.

I would even go so far to think about fishing missions where you learn sailing into fishing circles and follow them and so on and from there you earn a bigger trader or something and go further. 

Edited by Lonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fenris said:

In EVE there are spaceships shooting at spaceships, and there is space. And it is never boring, now guess why.

Almost 40 000 players online at prime time, NA has 450. Go figure.

 

Star Wars vs. Master and Commander.  Which has been more popular?

Now re-examine your numbers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, Jean Ribault said:

Honestly the reinforcement zones are now ineffective so it doesn't matter much.  They never bothered me much and being a trader more of high end goods I didn't get much safety anyway since I was mostly outside of them.  However, I'd be just fine with eliminating them altogether if there was a way to stop newb ganking.

If ooooonly there was a way to eliminate tagging of lower ranks.....

Seems pretty easy coding to me.  But what do I know.

I would have thought that even easier coding would be....    no PVP marks for killing a ship in the green zone.  That would pretty much solve all the issues in one go with a micro coding change of the if else variety.    It would then severely limit ganking as there wouold be no point apart from just being a true griefing excersise.  would make the green zones truly a (mostly) protected area and drive true PVP combat into OW where people claim they want it to be.

 

After that you can work on things like econonmy etc to turn this from an MO into something that gets close to an MMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, "we" want Operational level working - meaning the road to PvP to be paved with decision making, logistics and choices.

Better learning ? Don't understand exactly.

Better beginner curve is not hard, but combat is the same for all. Though more information is needed at start. Please feedback on the Tutorial feedback threads :) 

Combat can be complex. As an example and small sample, 6 players did complete the tutorial Final Exam in 6 different ways. Meaning it is not a puzzle to break with 1 solution.

There's a lot of factors that do not see a common support by the community though, one of them being "more PvE needed".

I keep my own view in the open - less mmo, more simulator/wargame.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lonar said:

We want PVE to get PVP, we want it simple to become complex. Basically we need a better learning or beginner curve. I personally think it is to steep at some point a easy fun entrance and after you had your fun there you discover complexity.

I would even go so far to think about fishing missions where you learn sailing into fishing circles and follow them and so on and from there you earn a bigger trader or something and go further. 

NA changed a lot of its target grps during the development. The learning curve fits to any sim game. But gameplay (pvp marks + ship notes + instant ship redeems + patrol area ... )of NA changed to an arena game. So point -  click -  kill and this crowd cant handle the complex legacy parts of the remaining sim features.

NA has to figure out what it want to be to completely satisfy 1 target grp. Or keep being mixed and appeal only partial to different target grps and creat headache for each grp.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I reckon we make it more complicated than it is due to our own wishful thinking.

- Grab ship, sail out, fight.

Player is a "navy" on its own. Player and his clan are a "nation" on its own.

Cannot get more simple than that.

We want it more complex or more simple ?

We want more PvE or more PvP ?

We, the people.

We want just change dev and stop lie communication… Patch never in time…..Detail patch never respected…. stop that...and after you can come blablabla big boss padawan XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

There's a lot of factors that do not see a common support by the community though, one of them being "more PvE needed".

Learning curve well after the tutorial you have hearded about all the stuff you need to know but you are really bad at doing it, so we need something to train people more before they suffer, and we need to reward them so they dont feel bad if they fuck it up, at the moment you can loose at least feeled everything (thats btw. a fact why i still believe durability was a good idea). But i dont have a good idea for it to be honest. 

Why i think more PVE, is because PVE generates PVP. It creates new player for example and when they feel comfortable they go to PVP without getting forced to do it. But because they want and are interested in the crazy rewards or something. 

Edited by Lonar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Oh my...

DesMoines...

- click sail, click attack, have fun.

That's blablablabla enough for you master Jedi ?

or too complex ?

You explained it..."click sail, click attack"....

No fun in that in long terms.

Simply boring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fenris said:

You explained it..."click sail, click attack"....

No fun in that in long terms.

Simply boring.

Fair and honest :)

Not necessarily true for everyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Oh my...

DesMoines...

- click sail, click attack, have fun.

That's blablablabla enough for you master Jedi ?

or too complex ?

we can t click attack...where are players??? you can say me GOD....of my … ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DesMoines said:

we can t click attack...where are players??? you can say me GOD....of my … ;)

Yep, combatnews is bugged. No pvp happens anywhere.

Oh... wait... maybe it does happen 😮 just maybe not when we want it 😮

"I love PvP when I want to PvP not when you want to PvP" ?

I think this might be more true than not for many of us 🤔

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

Yep, combatnews is bugged. No pvp happens anywhere.

Oh... wait... maybe it does happen 😮 just maybe not when we want it 😮

"I love PvP when I want to PvP not when you want to PvP" ?

I think this might be more true than not for many of us 🤔

 

not me who say that...but communitie…. where are all players of the beginning??? How many post you have on this subject??? How many players leave because Gams Labs take us for Goat????? Not me who say that….number don t lie….not like you and Gams Labs ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I love PvP when I want to PvP not when you want to PvP" 

This is actually a really deciding factor for fun we want at least the illusion of having control.

Edited by Lonar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Flinch said:

Eve will never have the one thing that NA has; it will never have fun combat encounters. I'll take PB's over fleet engagements every day of the week. Hours upon hours of being an F1 monkey is nothing compared to sailing in battle in NA.

Eve has the equivalent of Port Battles, and has meaningful and fun combat encounters daily.   Taking a star system or a wormhole in Eve is the same as a port battle in Eve and moves all the resources of that are to the group that controls it so they can use it in their production or sell it to others to make a profit from the resources in that system.    Holding a system allows you the access to not only that systems resources in space but also the resources from any planetary bodies in those systems.

Oh and working up a fleet incursion(port battle) with upto 5000 ships a side is a damn sight more fun that having to go through the artificial methodology of attacking a port in NA and building up aggro then using a few ships to fight a baby battle that gains you nothing but a cost to maintain.

PS  the fight for B-R5RB ( a port battle in effect ) had 7,500  players all fighting over a period of 21 hours with a max of 3000 all fighting simultaneously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Eve has the equivalent of Port Battles, and has meaningful and fun combat encounters daily.   Taking a star system or a wormhole in Eve is the same as a port battle in Eve and moves all the resources of that are to the group that controls it so they can use it in their production or sell it to others to make a profit from the resources in that system.    Holding a system allows you the access to not only that systems resources in space but also the resources from any planetary bodies in those systems.

Oh and working up a fleet incursion(port battle) with upto 5000 ships a side is a damn sight more fun that having to go through the artificial methodology of attacking a port in NA and building up aggro then using a few ships to fight a baby battle that gains you nothing but a cost to maintain.

PS  the fight for B-R5RB ( a port battle in effect ) had 7,500  players all fighting over a period of 21 hours with a max of 3000 all fighting simultaneously.

Two things. One, pos shooting is way worse than grinding hostility and they are basically the same.

Battles like B-R happen almost never and they take 21 hours because of time dialation, realistically the game chugs at 2% of real time in those battles to keep the server alive. The full battle is only about an hour stretched into a full day.

Its fun to say 'I was there'. But it wasnt that fun to actually be there. SOURCE: I was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×