Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sunleader

My reasons why this Game will never Succeed....

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

newly released on steam and games tend to loose 90% of playerbase after 2-3 weeks. Its rare for games not to. Devs dont market and that also is a BIG issue. Most entertainment products have 50% of the budget for marketing. 

You were talking about interest. People giving it a try seem interested in the genre and age of sail. Why they dont stay is another question. Returning of players after the wipe last year to the level of 2016 also shows that the interest is there.

Dont just generalize everything. Could be, could not be, neglectable. Analyse the game unbiasedly and you will figure out that there are issues. NA also didnt loose 90%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fargo said:

You were talking about interest. People giving it a try seem interested in the genre and age of sail. Why they dont stay is another question. Returning of players after the wipe last year to the level of 2016 also shows that the interest is there.

Dont just generalize everything. Could be, could not be, neglectable. Analyse the game unbiasedly and you will figure out that there are issues. NA also didnt loose 90%. 

that is not true at all. There are plenty of games people buy on sale and play once. I have a library full of games I have never played or only played 1 hour. Not because they are bad games or I dislike them. Its just how steam works. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

that is not true at all. There are plenty of games people buy on sale and play once. I have a library full of games I have never played or only played 1 hour. Not because they are bad games or I dislike them. Its just how steam works. 

Just that the first sale was relatively late.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

...There are plenty of games people buy on sale and play once. I have a library full of games I have never played or only played 1 hour...

Hmm, many of us are guilty of that I suspect.  During last week's sale I bought 6 or 7 games.  I've only played two of them (so far anyway).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Just that the first sale was relatively late.

sale or release most people waste to much money on games they never play

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

Hmm, many of us are guilty of that I suspect.  During last week's sale I bought 6 or 7 games.  I've only played two of them (so far anyway).

why do you think sales exist? They sell people stuff they wont play. They know 50% of players do it so free cash

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would feel far more willing to continue financial support by buying DLCs and possible Kickstarter campaigns if I knew what Devs envisioned the completed game would look like. I’m not particularly interested in funding more ships, prettier graphics, more refined sailing/combat models. I would be more than willing to pay to get a well rounded game. Yes, this is another call for content: a reason for the battles. It is fun to shoot but it needs to matter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Farrago said:

I personally would feel far more willing to continue financial support by buying DLCs and possible Kickstarter campaigns if I knew what Devs envisioned the completed game would look like. I’m not particularly interested in funding more ships, prettier graphics, more refined sailing/combat models. I would be more than willing to pay to get a well rounded game. Yes, this is another call for content: a reason for the battles. It is fun to shoot but it needs to matter.

thing is that games dont matter man. player created content is the way to do it but with so many safezones there is no reason for coast guards like there used to be. op Chain ganking, reinforcements and many other things are just destroying content we could have created. If there were no ai reinforcements and the battles in safezones stayed open for 15 min for the defender only things would improve a bit. Roe in pvp zones is bad for the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly the reinforcement zones are now ineffective so it doesn't matter much.  They never bothered me much and being a trader more of high end goods I didn't get much safety anyway since I was mostly outside of them.  However, I'd be just fine with eliminating them altogether if there was a way to stop newb ganking.

If ooooonly there was a way to eliminate tagging of lower ranks.....

Seems pretty easy coding to me.  But what do I know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Farrago said:

I personally would feel far more willing to continue financial support by buying DLCs and possible Kickstarter campaigns if I knew what Devs envisioned the completed game would look like. I’m not particularly interested in funding more ships, prettier graphics, more refined sailing/combat models. I would be more than willing to pay to get a well rounded game. Yes, this is another call for content: a reason for the battles. It is fun to shoot but it needs to matter.

I've been tempted to buy the DLC but as I mentioned in another thread I don't have faith in the future of the game. From just from a content standpoint and if the game will survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

thing is that games dont matter man. player created content is the way to do it but with so many safezones there is no reason for coast guards like there used to be. op Chain ganking, reinforcements and many other things are just destroying content we could have created. If there were no ai reinforcements and the battles in safezones stayed open for 15 min for the defender only things would improve a bit. Roe in pvp zones is bad for the game. 

I get what you’re saying. Those “restrictions” reduce content for you.

PVP zones are just plain broken. Maybe someday we won’t even need them but in the meantime, they drastically need changing.

As for reinforcement zones, my opinion is they should not even exist BUT the capital zone should be a bit bigger and totally PVP free. Missions taken at your nations capital should spawn inside that zone and only give modest rewards: the kind of rewards that help new players. But to obtain wealth and fame, one should have to leave that capital area.

But you seem to be saying that if all the restrictions were lifted, players will create the content. Yes, they could then create their simple battles wherever they desire but I’m talking about something more complicated. Let’s say your clan wishes to take the south shore of Haiti. Blockading it should matter. As it is, if you blockade me in port, I can just teleport and play somewhere else. The ports have no needs. Denying them trade or military reinforcements does not matter. Imagine if your port needed a certain amount of food supplies each week or it would weaken. Imagine if muskets, iron, gunpowder and cannons were not supplied to a port the forts would disappear. Imagine if supplying these things would allow you to strengthen a port. What if a port did not receive a certain luxury good, morale for that nation fell within a certain distance of the port.

I realize this may not be the game you want. You may not want to have to mess with crafting, trade, economy, and port management (or maybe you do). But my theory is that without these things to attract and keep a wider audience, this game is destined to dwindle on the vine.

Regards  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hethwill said:

There's opinions, there's facts and then there's lies. Title slightly changed to correct form.

 

Any Statement by anyone is an Opinion.

This should go without saying and does not require a mention in title. After all my Opinion is that this Game cannot Succeed due to that reason. This requires no doubled mention of me having the opinion that I have the opinion that this is why the Game cant Succeed.

 

Albeit you feeling so pressured that you had to edit the title is a statement in itself.

You losing your cool and abusing your moderation powers to change/censor the statement made there is good evidence of you knowing that its the truth.

If it had been just an opinion in your eyes or even a lie, like you try to imply, you would have kept your cool and just left it there saying *ah just another know it all nub* but you didnt. You felt so much discomfort abd pressure from this statement there that you changed content of another user without even marking that properly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 I've played another game for over 10 years that involves a real cash economy (Project entropia now Entropia universe), and every year people have said the same about that game year on year. However people still spend insane amounts of money there such as 7k USD for a gun, 20k USD for a land area etc and it has grown from 1 planet to 6 along with a moon and asteroid (which neverdie bought for 100,000 USD and sold years later for a cool $1 million . People say it's a scam but i've managed to withdraw $$ year on year and make my way there, as always those who lose or get bored badmouth the devs/game etc.

 Now comparing NA with EU is not a true match, however the same is true about doombringers and end of the world mentality.  Also same is true about the reviews on steam where people have played over 1000 hours or more yet give a shitty review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

Fucking pieces of shit those guys are. Never do they consider that it might be the 2000 hours that is making them sick of the game. Some people expect a magic patch but at the end of the day it will always be ships shooting a ships and the wind. 

In EVE there are spaceships shooting at spaceships, and there is space. And it is never boring, now guess why.

Almost 40 000 players online at prime time, NA has 450. Go figure.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rediii said:

Gamelabs needed another thread why NA is not successfull and how to make it a success. I'm proud 

Over and over again, till they recognise the issues...

If they don`t , au revoir NA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fenris said:

In EVE there are spaceships shooting at spaceships, and there is space. And it is never boring, now guess why.

Almost 40 000 players online at prime time, NA has 450. Go figure.

 

love the comparison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Fargo said:

You were talking about interest. People giving it a try seem interested in the genre and age of sail. Why they dont stay is another question. Returning of players after the wipe last year to the level of 2016 also shows that the interest is there.

Dont just generalize everything. Could be, could not be, neglectable. Analyse the game unbiasedly and you will figure out that there are issues. NA also didnt loose 90%. 

This would be me. Part of probably several various "whys."

Last winter I stumbled into this age of sail game that looked a good deal more sophisticated than Sid Meyer's Pirates and didn't contain magic and sparkles.  I was intrigued.  What hooked me was the player economy that appeared to be part of that.

Except that, hundreds of hours in, I am finding sectors of that economy which are unplayable without buying additional copies of the game to run alts.  And no articulated direction for addressing the structural elements that contribute to that.  There are players carping in another thread about P2W.  Guess what folks, as far as the economy is concerned, it is already here.  It just happens to be a bad blend.  The OP in that thread @Jean Ribault is exactly right.  The Devs need to pick a model and make that work.

And now a DLC is added that partially levels the advantage an alt provides, but also has the potential to completely break the contract markets if it sells well.

I'm done until after the crafting and economy reworks.  I'll probably get back in sometime in August after the dust has had a chance to settle.  

After that, well, we will see.

Edited by Marcus Corvus
clarification
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

love the comparison

Well you should... That is why comparing those 2 games...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Well you should... That is why comparing those 2 games...

then why not compare it with gtav? 90 million sales 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

then why not compare it with gtav? 90 million sales 

Not comparing sale numbers.

Comparing EVE with NA on purpose, because they are very similar to each other. But NA has no clue how to keep players in game, EVE has.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fenris said:

Not comparing sale numbers.

Comparing EVE with NA on purpose, because they are very similar to each other. But NA has no clue how to keep players in game, EVE has.

what? Both are mmos? Thats all they have in common.  You cannot compare age of sail with space games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

what? Both are mmos? Thats all they have in common.  You cannot compare age of sail with space games. 

Like i said, you can play only PVE in EVE, you will never get bored. You can not do the same in NA. That is a huge difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey OP, I like the game! that's what's missing from your rant.

Successes can also be measure by “Likes”! not necessary always measured by volumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fenris said:

Like i said, you can play only PVE in EVE, you will never get bored. You can not do the same in NA. That is a huge difference.

Eve has the economy, it has the players, it has PVE that has not been changed in a decade (litterally the same missions). 

Eve will never have the one thing that NA has; it will never have fun combat encounters. I'll take PB's over fleet engagements every day of the week. Hours upon hours of being an F1 monkey is nothing compared to sailing in battle in NA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×