Game-Labs Forum

Yearly/six month map wipe

9 minutes ago, admin said:

Seasons idea was under consideration some time ago

• Each season will have a map and server wipe
  • Each season will have a random selection of ships (so you might never see first rates in the Autumn 2018 Season)
  • Each season will give a unique special reward that could be used the next season
  • Each season will have randomized resources across the map
  • Player will be able to select a small set of items he will be using next season

The problem with seasons is that players coming in the end of the season will have no chance to influence the map (some might argue that this is happening now anyway as new players meet geared veterans)

I think it is worth consideration but be careful. Length of season and how long it takes to (I hate the word but) grind, is super crucial and random is dangerous, it needs to be balanced in some way. 

Also how do the dlc ships fit into this.  Redeemable hers and requins off the bat will be silly op.  Even if you wipe xp.  

Edited by beagleplease

2 minutes ago, beagleplease said:

I think it is worth consideration but be careful. Length of season and how long it takes to (I hate the word but) grind, is super crucial and random is dangerous, it needs to be balanced in some way. 

BTW.. just to be clear
we do not plan to change the way OW works at this stage. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Sure getting your prized 5-5 endymion with naval clock on it wiped out at no fault of your own sounds like an excellent mechanic. /sarcasm

OMG!!  Muh pixels!!!   God forbid I have to replace them!!   

(Where did my fainting couch go again?!...)

31 minutes ago, admin said:

• Each season will have a map and player wipe
  • Each season will have a random selection of ships (so you might never see first rates in the Autumn 2018 Season)
  • Each season will give a unique special reward that could be used the next season
  • Player will be able to select a small set of items he will be using next season

The problem with seasons is that players coming in the end of the season will have no chance to influence the map (some might argue that this is happening now anyway as new players meet geared veterans)

The last line says it all...  new players have ZERO chance against vets. 

I personally don’t really mind either way.  But it’s funny to see how some people always talk about the need to “protect new players” and then get the vapors at the thought that something that actually PERIODICALLY AND RANDOMLY levels the playing field. 

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

The last line says it all...  new players have ZERO chance against vets. 

I personally don’t really mind either way.  But it’s funny to see how some people always talk about the need to “protect new players” and then get the vapors at the thought that something that actually PERIODICALLY AND RANDOMLY levels the playing field. 

Okay lets say theres a wipe tomorrow. The first first rate is getting built by a vet because they can accumulate the nessecary wealth and victory marks way faster than a newbie or casual.

In fact a wipe will help vets more as they will dominate the early PBs and acquire the first victory marks required for a first rate fleet. At which point their power will snowball as the 1st rate fleet rolls multiple ports unopposed.

And pvp isnt decided by upgrades so the edge goes to the vet who knows how to sail.

27 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

You're a casual, not much committed to playing or attached to your pixel boats that are dirt cheap. Think of players that invest hundreds of hours working towards some goals or ships trying to achieve something and... it gets wiped :) Go ahead, make fun of them, those silly players crying about losing pixels muahahah.

Sure, lets assume that's the case...  Isn't that what you "hardcore vets" claim that we need to help foster, the "casuals" who can only afford "dirt cheap boats"?  

Again, I don't really care.  I just get a kick out of players who SAY one thing and ACT another way...

And honestly, ANYONE who really gets upset over pixels should maybe step away from the PC for a month or two...

Edited by Vernon Merrill

1 hour ago, admin said:

Please no!

Consider the casual player who plays a couple hours, on a few days per week. It takes many months  to build up a healthy stock of ships and stuff.  How much can a player do in a hundred hours, especially at an unhurried pace and taking time to savour sailing.

Wiping has a much different effect on someone who plays casually than on those who play very often.

For me, frequent wipes would be annoying, and would reduce the game to sailing without purpose.  Currently I can look forward to slowly building wealth.  Frequent wipes would create an atmosphere of a race.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Admin has said this isn't a casual game

I surely hope it not to be a casual combat nor casual mmo, but having space for casual age of sail hardcore combat wargame simulation of life in the age of sail in the caribbean. So many tests should show the way of what is casual and what's not.

26 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Admin has said this isn't a casual game

Depending on your taste, the game is not causal.  I will leave classifying the game to the expert testers.  But depending on the pace it can be enjoyed by a casual player.  I only play the game for a few hours per week.  I'm a casual player, and I can't afford to spend 7-10 hrs in a session or play every day.  Currently the game play is comfortable, and I have built a healthy business of trading.

Think of  building a model that requires hundred of hours of effort.  The crafter could spend only a couple hours per week and create a wonderful ship in a few years.   But if the creation has to be completed in a few months; the project becomes hurried.   The relaxed  pleasure of building a model is reduced to a competition. 

• Like 3

So many times I have heard players say that they "will stop playing until after wipe", and I totally get this. As soon as there is a wipe announcement hanging over the game all the stuff you have gathered, all the ships, the ports, the time and effort you have invested is just declared worthless in X amount of days. So from my point of view the idea to have a wipe happening regularly in a game that is extremely time consuming is game wreaking!
Many of us are in clans, that can start from scratch and make 1. rates after just a few days, BUT NOT ALL PLAYERS ARE IN ORGANIZED CLANS! They need weeks and even mouths to get ship production back up.  

Gathering resources is just a form of grind, taking empty ports in the beginning after wipe is just a pain. So if this is a desperate attempt to satisfy some need for endgame content just say your "done", delete you character and make a new one. There is no need to hold a gun pointed at the rest of the community.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, admin said:

That alone is not a bad idea imo. Just to stir things up once in a while, would be good for RvR at least xD 

Well perfect.  We just finally put to bed the entire "we need to help noobs and casuals" argument....

So lets get rid of fake features like "reinforcement zones" and go hardcore...   

Rare woods and patch 10.x were my favorites, actually.

5 hours ago, admin said:

Over all that sounds more like something for NA:L but those two lines wouldn't mind if we had a port wipe every 6 months (you still keep all your stuff).  Though to work it needs to be something like POTBS where it's either a set time or when some one hits so much victory points.

1 hour ago, Coraline Vodka said:

You're def in the minorityand steam charts prove avg players hated it

The average player is a fool. Patch 10 was glory. It had some problems but the meta was on point.
Now people run around with a billion gold, 5/5 super ships and enough PVP marks to supply their entire nation with bellonas 3x over per person.
Patch 10 was the realest version of NA we've had and will probably ever see until this new economy drops and we go back to that dank realism.

• Like 3

I wish the Devs had tried something less severe than Patch 10 but along the same lines.

We went from having too much money (and goods) prior to 10 to almost zero money supply, no capturable ships, no tows or teleports, expensive — rare coal? — crafted cannons and repairs, odd grinding requirements, etc. The game became difficult (or drudgery) almost to the point of being no fun for all but the most well organized clans or players with multiple alts. It seems like every quality of life feature disappeared. So we lost folks. But rather than fine tuning, the money spigot was simply turned back on.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 6:54 PM, Gregory Rainsborough said:

The map should be wiped every six months or year. Fresh start for everyone would be nice and it gives the newer guys a chance to get ports and inactive ones to die.

OMG 

Do you like Pve or so you need for every european british Clan a stupid Port Timer? (11-14)

I don't RVR because "no teamspeak" and other reasons. I do follow it. And just from an outside opinion instead of a map reset why not have, say 1-3 HOT SPOTS? Like the cartegena tar port.

Consider an announcement in the email to all players.... "Rumors of major copper viens discovered in xxxxx port". That port is now VERY valuable....after 3 months or so have it moved to another random port.... change cartegena caulk to something else and move it around the board every couple months.

This would shake things up. Also the season times for this would have to be random and unknown

8 hours ago, Sea Fox said:

I don't RVR because "no teamspeak" and other reasons. I do follow it. And just from an outside opinion instead of a map reset why not have, say 1-3 HOT SPOTS? Like the cartegena tar port.

Consider an announcement in the email to all players.... "Rumors of major copper viens discovered in xxxxx port". That port is now VERY valuable....after 3 months or so have it moved to another random port.... change cartegena caulk to something else and move it around the board every couple months.

This would shake things up. Also the season times for this would have to be random and unknown

I remember this was suggested in the past and personally I feel this would be a lot more enjoyable.

Previous "useless ports" could become incredibly valuable for a short period of time. But I don't think we will get that either...