Game-Labs Forum
Gregory Rainsborough

Yearly/six month map wipe

I would not be opposed to a “major hurricane wiping out the vast majority of buildings and vessels” every so often. 

Purely randomly generated, of course. 

Its actually a great way to insert into the game what people in that area of earth deal with on a annual basis:  Will my home/business survive another hurricane season?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I would not be opposed to a “major hurricane wiping out the vast majority of buildings and vessels” every so often. 

Its actually a great way to insert into the game what people in that area of earth deal with on a annual basis:  Will my home/business survive another hurricane season?

If Florida got hit by a hurricane, it wouldn't mean that Russia is free to invade. 

28 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Sure getting your prized 5-5 endymion with naval clock on it wiped out at no fault of your own sounds like an excellent mechanic. /sarcasm

Seasons idea was under consideration some time ago

• Each season will have a map and player wipe
  • Each season will have a random selection of ships (so you might never see first rates in the Autumn 2018 Season)
  • Each season will give a unique special reward that could be used the next season
  • Each season will have randomized resources across the map
  • Player will be able to select a small set of items he will be using next season

The problem with seasons is that players coming in the end of the season will have no chance to influence the map (some might argue that this is happening now anyway as new players meet geared veterans)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, admin said:

• Each season will have a map and server wipe
  • Each season will have a random selection of ships (so you might never see first rates in the Autumn 2018 Season)
  • Each season will give a unique special reward that could be used the next season
  • Player will be able to select a small set of items he will be using next season

The problem with seasons is that players coming in the end of the season will have no chance to influence the map (some might argue that this is happening now anyway as new players meet geared veterans)

Dont like. This one firmly needs to stay an 'idea' and never a 'feature.'

Im okay with wiping the map and drastically changing BR ratings on ports each time so that smaller nations have a better chance at some ports. But Im not cool with a full wipe.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, admin said:

you better make conquest a lot more interesting if you expect people to go take all those worthless ports every 6months...…. and what the heck are you going to do about peoples warehouses now that  we have all moved from capitals. 

Edited by King of Crowns
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, admin said:

I think it is worth consideration but be careful. Length of season and how long it takes to (I hate the word but) grind, is super crucial and random is dangerous, it needs to be balanced in some way. 

Also how do the dlc ships fit into this.  Redeemable hers and requins off the bat will be silly op.  Even if you wipe xp.  

Edited by beagleplease

2 minutes ago, beagleplease said:

I think it is worth consideration but be careful. Length of season and how long it takes to (I hate the word but) grind, is super crucial and random is dangerous, it needs to be balanced in some way. 

BTW.. just to be clear
we do not plan to change the way OW works at this stage. 

• Like 3

Just now, admin said:

BTW.. just to be clear
we do not plan to change the way OW works at this stage. 

I know you are working on the Ui and then hopefully boarding? 

I'd put sorting out ow and roe 3rd in my list personally. 

15 minutes ago, admin said:

please dont ever do this to naval action

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

The map should be wiped every six months or year. Fresh start for everyone would be nice and it gives the newer guys a chance to get ports and inactive ones to die.

why, this would make the game very boring and pointless.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Sure getting your prized 5-5 endymion with naval clock on it wiped out at no fault of your own sounds like an excellent mechanic. /sarcasm

OMG!!  Muh pixels!!!   God forbid I have to replace them!!   

(Where did my fainting couch go again?!...)

31 minutes ago, admin said:

The last line says it all...  new players have ZERO chance against vets. 

I personally don’t really mind either way.  But it’s funny to see how some people always talk about the need to “protect new players” and then get the vapors at the thought that something that actually PERIODICALLY AND RANDOMLY levels the playing field. 

3 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

OMG!!  Muh pixels!!!   God forbid I have to replace them!!   

(Where did my fainting couch go again?!...)

You're a casual, not much committed to playing or attached to your pixel boats that are dirt cheap. Think of players that invest hundreds of hours working towards some goals or ships trying to achieve something and... it gets wiped :) Go ahead, make fun of them, those silly players crying about losing pixels muahahah.

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

The last line says it all...  new players have ZERO chance against vets. 

I personally don’t really mind either way.  But it’s funny to see how some people always talk about the need to “protect new players” and then get the vapors at the thought that something that actually PERIODICALLY AND RANDOMLY levels the playing field. 

Okay lets say theres a wipe tomorrow. The first first rate is getting built by a vet because they can accumulate the nessecary wealth and victory marks way faster than a newbie or casual.

In fact a wipe will help vets more as they will dominate the early PBs and acquire the first victory marks required for a first rate fleet. At which point their power will snowball as the 1st rate fleet rolls multiple ports unopposed.

And pvp isnt decided by upgrades so the edge goes to the vet who knows how to sail.

49 minutes ago, admin said:

Just No.

27 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

You're a casual, not much committed to playing or attached to your pixel boats that are dirt cheap. Think of players that invest hundreds of hours working towards some goals or ships trying to achieve something and... it gets wiped :) Go ahead, make fun of them, those silly players crying about losing pixels muahahah.

Sure, lets assume that's the case...  Isn't that what you "hardcore vets" claim that we need to help foster, the "casuals" who can only afford "dirt cheap boats"?  

Again, I don't really care.  I just get a kick out of players who SAY one thing and ACT another way...

And honestly, ANYONE who really gets upset over pixels should maybe step away from the PC for a month or two...

Edited by Vernon Merrill

3 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Sure, lets assume that's the case...  Isn't that what you "hardcore vets" claim that we need to help foster, the "casuals" who can only afford "dirt cheap boats"?  

Again, I don't really care.  I just get a kick out of players who SAY one thing and ACT another way...

That's not my style of saying stuff. The Devs make this game more and more gear-based. Do I mind it? Not really, I can acquire all of the stuff. Is it good for the new players? Probably not. Blame the devs, before the wipe gear was much more balanced. All of the new gear stuff was their own creation and idea, never discussed with the community. 

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 2

No to regular or seasonal map wipes. If one is needed before release okay.

Im fine with a map wipe,wich will eventually be needed anyway, since some nations are gonnan be one ported..

But im not fine with a full wipe, grinding gold and all that stuff every time over and over again..no way..

1 hour ago, admin said:

Please no!

Consider the casual player who plays a couple hours, on a few days per week. It takes many months  to build up a healthy stock of ships and stuff.  How much can a player do in a hundred hours, especially at an unhurried pace and taking time to savour sailing.

Wiping has a much different effect on someone who plays casually than on those who play very often.

For me, frequent wipes would be annoying, and would reduce the game to sailing without purpose.  Currently I can look forward to slowly building wealth.  Frequent wipes would create an atmosphere of a race.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 3