Game-Labs Forum

Yearly/six month map wipe

there needs to be some kind of award though for being the first, but also some award for most developed so not everyone will join the same nation, but i agree it would be good with "seasons" like there is in Diablo, Dota and other games

3 hours ago, Flinch said:

Theres nothing to work towards if everything gets wiped all the time.

No one is working for anything right now cause once you have it you keep it and others send alts to take it goods out of it.  Other games do wipes or resets every so often and it works fine. Don't want to loose your port than cap it back asap at the reset or don't put your stuff in ports that will reset.  6 months is a very very long time.  I would actually go as far as we could test every three months, but I do think that is to short.  We have folks that have ports no one has attacked since the wipe land grab so it's kinda pointless if no one attack  I also think we should go back to regional ownerships instead of ports and we should drop a few of the nations as we have way to many nations and not enough players.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

I'll use GB as an example.

Some clans own ports but they're no longer active which means we can't get in, defend them but they generate enough money to sustain themselves.

New clans cannot hope to own a port unless they get other clans to help them and no-one does because no-one wants to help give a small clan a port. Clans own ports, not the nation so why should I help someone capture a port if they might the next day switch nations and take the port with them.

I'm not talking about a total reset, I'm talking about all the ports going neutral as they once were. Hell, the only reason the Danes have Misteriosa is because one of those clans that died had opened it up to pay for it and then they became inactive, the Danes moved in and the port dropped when the money ran out. They then flipped it and bang, GB loses a crucial port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Then it is better to ask for a port transfer between clans. Far more interesting and open new possibilities in rvr.

We need both, port transfers don't help  you if the clan goes dead/inactive.  Or a prime example was Turtle Cay this morning went Neutral.  The clan leader is terminally ill right now and the clan is going through some hard times cause the clan warehouse was in St Mary's.  While they have diplomats they hadn't been able to get to the port to add more money to the clan warehouse and it ran out.   They could of traded this port to another clan until the leader gets back or they get the clan warehouse moved and situated.  Luckly some one pointed it out and I was able to muster up some guys to flip it back to US this morning.   We lost a lot of our ports the last few months cause of dropped ports from inactive clans or clans that moved.

3 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We need both, port transfers don't help  you if the clan goes dead/inactive.  Or a prime example was Turtle Cay this morning went Neutral.  The clan leader is terminally ill right now and the clan is going through some hard times cause the clan warehouse was in St Mary's.  While they have diplomats they hadn't been able to get to the port to add more money to the clan warehouse and it ran out.   They could of traded this port to another clan until the leader gets back or they get the clan warehouse moved and situated.  Luckly some one pointed it out and I was able to muster up some guys to flip it back to US this morning.   We lost a lot of our ports the last few months cause of dropped ports from inactive clans or clans that moved.

Surely @Inkcould help out with this one time move. Just out of respect for the Clan Leader. I wouldn't object and am sure other players or even @admin

may agree.

Norfolk.

@Gregory Rainsborough

Sorry your OP... This was a partial wipe last June. Although needed it really put a heavy grind on an awful lot of players.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/20652-the-junkie-his-dealer…/

“Not sure if it is good for the game. Months go fast in a slow game as NA.”

I agree with @Intrepido here. The move from Global to EU and then the closing of NA-Legends even though I totally agree with both left me in a shattered place.

What about a Total Wipe at the end of August 2018, with a second full wipe on August 2019 for the Game Launch...?

The difference now in grind as totally changed. Why? We have an end goal insight. That’s the key, without a (fairly firm) focused date all it is... is total grind.

Norfolk.

I am against map wipes. The winners keep winning and make sure they make more friends to win. The losers lose, they then either join the winning side or stop playing.

In Naval Action's current "meta" if you will, I believe a "map-wipe" would fail. I have seen conquest systems work in other games though....I just don't think you could do the same in this game.

Take what we had previously where you had to be the top 3 nations in conquest in order to even think about getting victory marks. What ended up happening was that if you weren't in "good graces" with the top 3 nations, you got nothing and when you attempted to other throw one of them, they would ally with the other ones to make sure they kept their position. The top 3 nations were literally "unbeatable" in the sense that all the other nations combined did not have the military might to knock one of them down.

When the Russian nation was able to gain the 3rd places, you had the entire server except Spain decide to topple Russia back down. The only reason Russia was able to get to the 3rd place were because of the dedication of players to get there, and the help of the Spanish nation to supply Marks at certain times. if Russia did not gain favor with Spain, they never would have gotten near the 3rd place position. I fear that would just happen again. I would much prefer to see a fleshed out proposal of a system before agreeing to a map wipe than just "we should have it because it's needed."

until then, no, no map-wipes.

• Like 3

In lieu of a map wipe, I would not be opposed to a system wherein a conquering clan gets a time limit to hold the port, for example 3 weeks, followed by a week cooldown for re-establishing themselves in that port.  Gives a chance for other clans to step in.  They can then take it back by force, encouraging more rvr.  To me that's a win-win for everyone.

Edited by Jean Ribault

26 minutes ago, Borch said:

I dont think that seasons is a good game mechanic (especially this game). Its like artificiall content that in fact is not a content at all, only same things you did 6 month ago. Better to develop more and real game activities.

Well actually it can be used to create a cycle of varied gameplay.   Early game is a mix of light ship battles and a rush to lineships, in a well balanced way this can make all ships in the game useful rather than just sols.  Then you get you're mid game which is a war of attrition with sols until eventually you hit late game where one or two nations have come out of it with a first rate zerg. 

Varied gameplay is good but implementation is hard.  Making this actually work is a nightmare, the losing nations may just quit until reset unless you come up with some reason for them to stay. 

I would not be opposed to a “major hurricane wiping out the vast majority of buildings and vessels” every so often. 

Purely randomly generated, of course. 

Its actually a great way to insert into the game what people in that area of earth deal with on a annual basis:  Will my home/business survive another hurricane season?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I would not be opposed to a “major hurricane wiping out the vast majority of buildings and vessels” every so often. 

Its actually a great way to insert into the game what people in that area of earth deal with on a annual basis:  Will my home/business survive another hurricane season?

If Florida got hit by a hurricane, it wouldn't mean that Russia is free to invade. 

28 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Sure getting your prized 5-5 endymion with naval clock on it wiped out at no fault of your own sounds like an excellent mechanic. /sarcasm

Seasons idea was under consideration some time ago

• Each season will have a map and player wipe
  • Each season will have a random selection of ships (so you might never see first rates in the Autumn 2018 Season)
  • Each season will give a unique special reward that could be used the next season
  • Each season will have randomized resources across the map
  • Player will be able to select a small set of items he will be using next season

The problem with seasons is that players coming in the end of the season will have no chance to influence the map (some might argue that this is happening now anyway as new players meet geared veterans)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, admin said:

• Each season will have a map and server wipe
  • Each season will have a random selection of ships (so you might never see first rates in the Autumn 2018 Season)
  • Each season will give a unique special reward that could be used the next season
  • Player will be able to select a small set of items he will be using next season

The problem with seasons is that players coming in the end of the season will have no chance to influence the map (some might argue that this is happening now anyway as new players meet geared veterans)

Dont like. This one firmly needs to stay an 'idea' and never a 'feature.'

Im okay with wiping the map and drastically changing BR ratings on ports each time so that smaller nations have a better chance at some ports. But Im not cool with a full wipe.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

• Each season will have a map and server wipe

you better make conquest a lot more interesting if you expect people to go take all those worthless ports every 6months...…. and what the heck are you going to do about peoples warehouses now that  we have all moved from capitals. 

Edited by King of Crowns
  • Like 1