Game-Labs Forum

Flags Flags Flags

Hey Captains. 

Soon players will be able to purchase a DLC which will let them use a different but of course historical main battle ensign.

You can make a difference.
We need your suggestions on the following flags.

• Main Battle Flags/Ensigns  (definitily will be added within 2 months)
  • Top mast rectangular ensigns (which most often copy the main battle ensign) (tentative)

Examples for USA could be

United States

Main battle flags

rnH7ash.png

Y6KO2Z0.png

Perfect flag to for Jamaica hunting
d5ar7Xu.png

For mast Ensigns

Come and get it (and of course dont give the ship banners)

f7kHOvJ.jpg

We of course have the flags ideas together already for main nations, but maybe we missed something. 

Best suggestions will just consists of pictures and minimal text.

Something like that

• Nation name
  • Picture or link to picture (or drawing)
  • explanation why should this flag be considered.

Happy 4th of July

old picture from 2014
4PUzl7K.jpg

• Like 21

Flag of the Holy Roman Empire which i solely propose for historical reasons (it existed until 1806 so it fits the timeframe):

Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_ha

I know, i know, it should actually be a prussian flag... pls dont torture me like that and make it swedish or for everyone ^_^

• Like 3

us~prvt.gif

One of several privateer ensigns during the american revolutionary war, more varied and valuable examples can be found here: http://www.loeser.us/flags/revolution.html

I would like to see more rare privateer ensigns, trade companies and the like in addition to the main flags of the various countries.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 5

Both flags can be used for a Portuguese roleplay.

This one being used since 1707 so pretty much covers the entire period until 1830 and being the Absolutist flag during the civil war.

500px-Flag_of_Portugal_%281707%29.svg.png

The Jack for the Absolutists could also make use of red rim

500px-Portuguese_Naval_Jack_1828.svg.png

Liberal cause - very much end of the Naval Action period

500px-Flag_Portugal_sea_%281830%29.svg.png

There's a listed blue rimmed jack for naval pilots during the Liberal Wars ( civil war )  but it conflicts with with eht Absolutist jack as both sides used them.

You can see the flags being used in the following paintings

BatalhaCaboS.Vicente.jpg

a%2Bsquadron%2Bof%2BPortuguese%2Bfrigates%2Bcommanded%2Bby%2BBritish%2BAdmiral%2BNapier%2Bon%2Bbehalf%2Bof%2Bthe%2BQueen%2BMaria.jpg

It is of note that the Liberal cause still used the Kingdom colours, full white field, but under the Liberal cause standard. The picture below shows it very well.

The one above is a detail of the painting about the Battle of Cape S. Vincent. The one below it is battle in the Tagus river.

• Like 3

My suggestions:

Some Greek flags that could be used as pirate flags or mast pennants:

Some drawings and paintings picturing Greek ships using some of the flags below:

Laskarina Bouboulina's flag:

ÎÏοÏέλεÏμα εικÏÎ½Î±Ï Î³Î¹Î± Ïημαια bouboulina

R5hfnAo.jpg

Andreas Miaoulis' flag:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Miaoulis

ÎÏοÏέλεÏμα εικÏÎ½Î±Ï Î³Î¹Î± Ïημαια μιαοÏλη

The flag of the island of Psarahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psara

Flag of Psara.svg

%CF%83%CE%B7%CE%BC%CE%B1%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CF%88%CE%B1%CF%81%CF%8E%CE%BD.jpg

The flag of the island of Kastelorizo:

Flag of Kastellorizo.svg

The flag of the island of Hydrahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(island)

Flag of Hydra

The flag of the island of Spetses:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spetses

531px-1821_Flag_of_Spetses.svg.png

Edited by Sella22

1 hour ago, Vile Executioner said:

@admin thank you so much! I literally just made a post this morning as suggestion for the US battle flag!

172978E9-FD58-4FCA-8BA1-4AEDE3FAC9D6.jpeg

Old USS INDEPENDENCE (CV 62) I was on her when this pic was taken.  We where the first combatant ship to get the honor in ages.  It's normally some tender or something that has the oldest active duty ship in the Navy.

• Like 2

Some more pirate but Barbary flags

flags_of_barbary_pirates_by_saracennegat

If I ever returned pirate I would remake the "Salee Rovers" Which I think is the Flag of Commander above too.

naval_flags_sale.jpg

Barbarossa's Flag

85-23-38t.jpg

Problem with a lot of the Barbary flags is they are 1600 which was the age of Piracy time.  I would say we should keep the flags to a certain time line too.  Though a little out of it one way or the other wouldn't hurt to much I think.

• Like 1

The dutch used hundreds of flags and therefore a very difficult nation 

also a VERY  interesting article about the blood flags used by pirates and barbary pirates late in time (a must read)

https://buccaneersreef.com/category/forum/sea-paintings/ 

LINK TO OTHER FLAGS http://fotw.fivestarflags.com/nl-indco.html#ro

but in general:

first state flag 

nl_sg.gif

old-voc-sailing-ship-halve-maen-at-the-r

ufe09-14a.jpg

the "Halve Maen" belonged to the Dutch East India Company (he was supposed to find a new route to East India), and his flag would have been a Dutch one. I've attached a picture of what historians think his ship might have looked like.
Jeroen van Leeuwen, 5 August 2010

wic.gif images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVDEHXxdisYwdS5eP2q-7

prinsenvlagmaritiemdigitaal.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVC0bZHrLynnzgOkfN6xz 

CSI1822.jpg on the state jachts

450px-Statenvlag.svg.png dutch republic flag

900px-Flag_of_the_Dutch_East_India_Compa voc

1726vlag1796.jpgbataaf

se republic era

L5rimBE.jpgFLAG NR 70 THE RED BLOOD FLAG (war flag)

AND NR 73 AND NR 79

LINK TO OTHER FLAGS http://fotw.fivestarflags.com/nl-indco.html#ro

Battle flags :

(see also the link in the https://buccaneersreef.com/category/forum/sea-paintings/ )

Edam-shipbuilder-copy.png

the blood flag at the back (look also at the 5 th ship from the left  a yellow flag with a red lion and sword )

nl_sg.gif

old-voc-sailing-ship-halve-maen-at-the-r

738px-Bloedvlag.png

DutchvsBarbary.jpg

800px-Bloedvlag.svg_.png

Yes ...this is DUTCH

all about the flag you need to know

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Problem with a lot of the Barbary flags is they are 1600

Last record of Barbary pirate being in combat with the RN is from 1850. So they were in place already way well before NA scope start ( 1670's - 1700 ) and fairly beyond (1820's ).

Barbary states - morocco, algiers, tunis, etc, were fairly distinct with a fairly unique pack of flags.

71hEwRXUG0L._SL1075_.jpg

some paintings

barbary.jpg

• Like 3

I have a huge panel of flags from the 1756 year. I wanted to take a picture of every flag but I have no time to do it now because of the exams, but I founded it in web. It is in spanish language. All courtesy to the Naval Museum of Madrid, Spain.

Resultado de imagen de 1756  banderas museo naval

• Like 6

On 7/4/2018 at 5:25 PM, Sella22 said:

Also i believe that the Venetian war flag is different than the one you guys have. @Fluffy Fishy is the expert on this

The war flag depicts the lion holding a sword. Something like this.

ÎÏοÏέλεÏμα εικÏÎ½Î±Ï Î³Î¹Î± venetian war flag

Compared to this:

ÎÏοÏέλεÏμα εικÏÎ½Î±Ï Î³Î¹Î± venetian war flag

The Venetian flag has many different aspects, all encompassing various stances and things that the lion is holding, the main 3 are the cross, the book and the sword, whilst its also quite common to see the Lion of St Mark holding a city too. The battle flag of Venice holds the sword, but when fighting pirates there is often the sword and the crucifix, while traders tend to use the book and the sword, meaning they can fight but they come to learn and trade. There is also significance to how the book is held, if the book is open the flag means its open to influence and discussion, where as if the book is closed and the lion is standing on it the flag means Venice is showing authority. The 6 tails to the flag are also significant, they represent the 6 original districts of Venice, Cannaregio, Castello, Dorsoduro, San Marco, San Polo and Santa Croce. There are a lot of combinations of many little betweens the different but the main 3 are:

150X75CM-Venice-flag-600x315.jpg

51Wu9Z5PczL.jpg

unknown.png?width=677&height=450

I will try and find some more useful pictures when I have a bit more time, but I hope you are doing the artwork yourselves as best you can, creating your own artistic resources the majority of the Venetian flags online look a bit derpy, If you aren't please use the two above rather than that weird cgi style one it looks weird and out of place, especially in an age of sail game. Also please if you are going to model it let the tails flap properly, they look incredible.

bandiera-della-citt%C3%A0-di-venezia-792

Some Other Examples:

319881_3828329597422_1382660099_n-1.jpg

bandiera-contarina.jpg

12004143_493879197439905_644387930510513

Here is a nice link showing some more flags of the republic:
http://www.bandieredeipopoli.com/veneto.htm

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

Current one but in red:

PWWqOaa.png

For the definition "flying the Red" 

Among pirates, flying a red flag signaled "no quarter" to any ship’s crew that resisted, but guaranteed the safety of all aboard if the ship surrendered without a fight. Some pirates in the 18th century have flown red variations of the traditional pirate flag, the Jolly Roger.

Среди пиратов, летающих красный флаг сигнализируется  "No Quarter " на любой экипаж судна, которые сопротивлялись, но гарантировали безопасность всех на борту судна, если судно сдался без боя. Некоторые пираты в XVIII веке летали красными вариациями традиционного пиратского флага, весёлого Роджера.

Picture1.jpg

Personally Pirates should have a choice Between Black and Red background regardless of picture.

Edited by Bloody Hound
  • Like 3