Game-Labs Forum

Fix infinite chain on fleet ships, it is bullshit

11 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

As the title says

I agree, I've noticed an increase in players using fleetships for chaining - it's becoming a problem... And before somebody brings it up:

FAQ:

Does it affect me in battle and makes it harder for me to win? Yes...?

Is that why I want it fixed..? Yes...?

Why? Because if it affects me it likely affects other players as well...

• Like 3

Just now, DesMoines said:

#IWantKillAllNoobWithMyAgamemmnonFull15knots...if they stop chains on Fleet...stop Speed buff of heavy ship like Bello and your agammenon XD

#Iwon'tfightunlessIhavea1v5advantageovermyopponent... You guys just chased me with a 15kn Bellona and a Le Requin that goes 15kn DOWN-wind whilst keeping me tagged with swivels at 500 meters+

You're not much better yourself

Just now, DesMoines said:

stop cry

Right back at ya..

13 hours ago, DesMoines said:

#IWantLieAndIEnterInBattleWithDanishAgainstFrench..... you were FAIR??? LOL stop lie as usual

There were 7 of you chasing TWO Danish ships so don't give us that crap, that's why we joined to help the Danes. It is the same story with you lot every time. And it is exactly that kinda shit that is ruining the game, you can't get a decent battle unless you sail around in a 5 ship+ fleet. It's not even in just french waters either, even in Swedish waters we've had your lot keeping us tagged a max range while a dozen more ships sailed up from Fort Royal

Edited by NethrosDefectus

4 minutes ago, admin said:

well the only fast solution would be to remove the demast command from NPC fleets. Other solutions will delay the port UI. 

What about making all ship like trader so AI shoots random chain and ball till there is time available to work on better solutions?

Edited by z4ys

22 minutes ago, admin said:

well the only fast solution would be to remove the demast command from NPC fleets. Other solutions will delay the port UI. 

This would work as a temporary measure, and I don't think I am the only one who would welcome this while a more long term solution is worked on. I think the important point here is that yes, players should be allowed to take fleet ships if they want but those ships should be subject to the same limitations as players. 

19 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

With all my respects, the current unbalance due to le requin, the bad shape of rvr (due to alts, no rewards, taxes), the ganking even in an event though as a arena (patrol zones) is making much more damage than the lack of a port UI (specially when the ow ui still requires some tweaks)

I doubt that unlimited chain on NPC ships is related in any way to the shape of RVR, or taxes or ganking or le requin. 
Before le requin you could have used 4 free captured 5th rates in a fleet the same way. It is just once some players started to use this successfully (found new meta of investing all perks into fleet control) - everyone started using this successfully. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, admin said:

As long as you recognise that there's an issue it's fine - you have a list of priorities and I myself believe that the Port UI will bring (and keep) more players in-game than an 'infinite chain'-fix will.

But I do tend to agree with @Intrepido and @NethrosDefectus, a UI will only get you so far...

We need balancing in all areas rather than "patchy" solutions -  The game is really not enjoyable in its current state, the community is way too small and it's getting toxic. We fight the same people again and again + It's almost impossible to play the game without having a 1-2 hour "forum/chat fight" where people attack eachother for petty reasons.. eg.: "you're a noob for using a 15kn Aggy so my 14.8kn Bellona can't catch you..."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Percival Merewether said:

As long as you recognise that there's an issue it's fine - you have a list of priorities and I myself believe that the Port UI will bring (and keep) more players in-game than an 'infinite chain'-fix will.

But I do tend to agree with @Intrepido and @NethrosDefectus, a UI will only get you so far...

We need balancing in all areas rather than "patchy" solutions -  The game is really not enjoyable in its current state, the community is way too small and it's getting toxic. We fight the same people again and again + It's almost impossible to play the game without having a 1-2 hour "forum/chat fight" where people attack eachother for petty reasons.. eg.: "you're a noob for using a 15kn Aggy so my 14.8kn Bellona can't catch you..."

Three words for the only solution that actually works for keeping up the playerbase of every MMO that has been on the road for some time

1) ADD

2) NEW

3) CONTENT

Everything else - in particular the usual "tweaks" of this or that game mechanic or another quality of life feature just disappearing from the game -  would be a waste of time/words/resources.

Edited by victor

Unlike in the past battles are now either constant retags on OW (I've run out of chain, might as well let them go and tag them on OW again) or dragged out affairs with constant repairing and only just keeping up but because of their constant repairs their sails are down. There is no demand for limited chain (sure, some people chained too much but oh well, some people grape too much, are we going to limit that as well), I don't see why it simply cannot be reversed and chain be unlimited as in the past. That would remove the perceived need for AI fleets to accompany people.

#bringbackunlimitedchain

Please either go the full way and limit repairs and ammunition or unlimited repairs and ammunition. Limited chain is just encouraging people to run away!!!

49 minutes ago, victor said:

Three words for the only solution that actually works for keeping up the playerbase of every MMO that has been on the road for some time

1) ADD

2) NEW

3) CONTENT

Everything else - in particular the usual "tweaks" of this or that game mechanic or another quality of life feature just disappearing from the game -  would be a waste of time/words/resources.

Define "content"

Everyone says they want more content but very few say what it is that they actually want. There is surprisingly little you can do with the limitations of an age of sail game and people's desire for the "get quick rich" schemes.

42 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I like it as it is. People were "encouraged" to run away with infinite chain and now, nothing has changed besides some people run out of chain faster and later they can't  run away from you :) I have nothing against limiting grape, same as chain - 4 broadsides.

Limit chain, that's absolutely fine. In fact limit everything besides regular ball. If it was up to me then you'd have to replenish ammo in the same way you do with crew. BUT all ships, be it player or AI must be subject to the same limitations.

1 hour ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Limit chain, that's absolutely fine. In fact limit everything besides regular ball. If it was up to me then you'd have to replenish ammo in the same way you do with crew. BUT all ships, be it player or AI must be subject to the same limitations.

Ai cant aim shots well and cant decide when to do it. Thus if we spend a week adding ai chain shot limitation it will basically mean we removed it because i will just waste during those 2 attempts.
So the easy quick fix would be just to remove the demast button. 

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Ai cant aim shots well and cant decide when to do it. Thus if we spend a week adding ai chain shot limitation it will basically mean we removed it because i will just waste during those 2 attempts.

Don't do it.  Some players have found a way to counter the super modded PVP hunter.  More power to them for having a good deterrent.  If a lone ship attacks a fleet, he should face some disadvantages.

9 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Don't do it.  Some players have found a way to counter the super modded PVP hunter.  More power to them for having a good deterrent.  If a lone ship attacks a fleet, he should face some disadvantages.

The problem isn't when you use it to counter a "super-modded PvP hunter" - the problem is when the "super-modded PvP hunter" brings a fleet-ships for chaining.

It's being used actively for hunting, not defence. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Percival Merewether said:

The problem isn't when you use it to counter a "super-modded PvP hunter" - the problem is when the "super-modded PvP hunter" brings a fleet-ships for chaining.

It's being used actively for hunting, not defence. 

I see.  I'm still hesitant to advise taking something out of gameplay.  I've only ever used fleet for trade.  What if we used the Patrol zone mechanic where fleet ships do not appear in the battle instance.  

7 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

I see.  I'm still hesitant to advise taking something out of gameplay.  I've only ever used fleet for trade.  What if we used the Patrol zone mechanic where fleet ships do not appear in the battle instance.  

limiting AI chain as suggested by @NethrosDefectus would be the best approach, a more drastic step could be disabling AI fleets for attackers

1 hour ago, admin said:

No. Ai fleet should stay the same...even add grape shot button!

Fleets make rank mean something. I fleet 3 endys with my main endy... When I hunt I don't fear the gank squads as much....they may take a fleet (none have ever capped one yet only sunk them) but I escape almost always

If mods applied to fleet actions they would be even more valuable prize to cap.

Fleets slow and sometimes stop the predictable outcome of a solo sailor encountering ganksquads

Edited by Sea Fox

1 hour ago, admin said:

What I"m not getting is when did this suddenly become a problem. Half the time I see AI in a battle it gets sunk cause it's a small ship in the middle of big ships.  Or it's so much in the way it's a pain.  Never seen folks chain some one to death with an AI, so this must be something new with some folks testing.  Personally I hate the demast option cause half the time my AI is shooting nothing but ball and missing almost all it's shots and not hitting mast (slight damage to sails).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

What I"m not getting is when did this suddenly become a problem. Half the time I see AI in a battle it gets sunk cause it's a small ship in the middle of big ships.  Or it's so much in the way it's a pain.  Never seen folks chain some one to death with an AI, so this must be something new with some folks testing.  Personally I hate the demast option cause half the time my AI is shooting nothing but ball and missing almost all it's shots and not hitting mast (slight damage to sails).

Ai fleets are strictly for for defense. They are too dumb to help in attacks

1 minute ago, Sea Fox said:

Ai fleets are strictly for for defense. They are too dumb to help in attacks

Hay now every once in a while they have a spark of brilliance and help actually win a fight....we use to have an on going joke back on GLOBAL when I was Pirate, that the AI was just slightly better than the US nation players...with that there are honestly some players in game actually worse than AI...lol