Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
melarky

Managing the Gundecks

Recommended Posts

I still consider myself a relative newb compared to most of you but I'm getting there. Sailing medium size ships now, but I found the Wappen a few days ago and couldn't resist. Never had a ship with 3 gun decks before. The top one seems kinda useless for most combat scenarios - maybe for line fighting or broadsiding another Wappen . The balls fired from the 3rd deck fly over your head rather than under your feet. I've had difficulty making them useful in a fight.

But that brings up a more general question - I know the F1 - F4 keys can disable various gundecks. I'm wondering how many of you actually go to the trouble of using them regularly? Seems like a nice idea but in the heat of battle there are other keys I am more worried about. Is that a skill I need to worry about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managing the gundecks is a important skill, esp. when you run carronades on the top deck or if you fight at distance and you know that your topdeck cannons will not penetrate the amour of the enemy ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use them in every single fight, you will get a feel for when your guns will and wont pen. So like the wappen if your running 9 pnd guns thoughs will not pen at range so I would disable them to save crew to reload other guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah , but when you shoot a broadside with a great angle and great distance you cause more damage to your enemy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CaptainSparckles said:

Yeah , but when you shoot a broadside with a great angle and great distance you cause more damage to your enemy .

Is of course completely opposite :)

Anyway, disabling your gun decks when you're too far or when enemy is angling is used often. It's not a critical skill (eg. knowing when to angle and when NOT to shoot is more important), but it's a bit useful. 

Edited by vazco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish that rolling front fire would work properly with poop deck guns. Ex: Wappen and Hercules will have top deck (rear of ship) selected for spacebar instead of the cannon at the front of the ship. It messes with my aiming so i usually turn the poop deck cannons off and fire them separately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am quite often switching decks on and off.

You have to think about the target you are engaging as well as the second target that will be in range in 10 seconds. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the time. If a certain deck is not penning you waste crew reloading if you are using both sides. If you are only using 1 side of your ship like in a line fight I fire the penetrating decks into hull and the smaller balls into sail. It's minor damage but damage. The only tip I can recommend that many youtubers do wrong is how they manage f5/stop reloading a side. Don't do that. If you fire both sides and need to reload the left side faster. Double tap f5 on the right. This way crew loads the left first and any spare crew will start loading the right. People that keep f5 on tend to forget it alot and crew is always way more important on guns since yard speed is rarely makes or breaks a battle. I control all of my gunnery keys and yards with guns keys on my mouse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 11:56 PM, melarky said:

AN interesting note here. Aster are you saying when a deck is disabled the other guns reload faster?

No. If a gun is loading its loading. Nothing in battle will increase the reload speed. If a gun doesn't have the crew it won't load at all. This is what aster means. He fire 2 sides from Wappen. If he wastes a non penetrating deck of 9s the crew will waste time loading them. Keep in mind that upper decks have a reload priority so now you might not have the crew to load all the 24s. It all depends on the ship too. 2nd rates have more than enough crew so you can waste smaller calibers if you like. 

Edited by HachiRoku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 11:59 PM, Capn Rocko said:

I just wish that rolling front fire would work properly with poop deck guns. Ex: Wappen and Hercules will have top deck (rear of ship) selected for spacebar instead of the cannon at the front of the ship. It messes with my aiming so i usually turn the poop deck cannons off and fire them separately. 

I used to hate that but one day I just said fuck it and I got used to it. On the aggys that was. Never forget even 1 gun over a 1 hour fight might make a difference. Never give up free dps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 12:30 PM, HachiRoku said:

No. If a gun is loading its loading. Nothing in battle will increase the reload speed. If a gun doesn't have the crew it won't load at all. This is what aster means. He fire 2 sides from Wappen. If he wastes a non penetrating deck of 9s the crew will waste time loading them. Keep in mind that upper decks have a reload priority so now you might not have the crew to load all the 24s. It all depends on the ship too. 2nd rates have more than enough crew so you can waste smaller calibers if you like. 

Why would the upper decks have priority? I would have thought it was the reverse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Why would the upper decks have priority? I would have thought it was the reverse?

I guess, because it is programmed that way. If there is a logical reason I don't know it. However, as Hatchi stated: When the guns are not fully crewed the upper decks start reloading before the lower decks do. That's where switching of the reloading of an entire broadside (F5, double tap or toggle, whichever way you use it) comes in handy. It ensures is most cases that the gun-complement of your crew will be full, so that all guns can be reloaded simultaneously.
The effect is a faster reloadtime by virtue of immediately starting the reloading instead of having to wait for other guns to be finished. The reload time of the gun itself is not affected in any way. And yes: If you use F5 do NOT forget to turn it back on. Missing a perfect sinking opportunity just because your guns are empty really sucks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

I guess, because it is programmed that way. If there is a logical reason I don't know it. However, as Hatchi stated: When the guns are not fully crewed the upper decks start reloading before the lower decks do. That's where switching of the reloading of an entire broadside (F5, double tap or toggle, whichever way you use it) comes in handy. It ensures is most cases that the gun-complement of your crew will be full, so that all guns can be reloaded simultaneously.
The effect is a faster reloadtime by virtue of immediately starting the reloading instead of having to wait for other guns to be finished. The reload time of the gun itself is not affected in any way. And yes: If you use F5 do NOT forget to turn it back on. Missing a perfect sinking opportunity just because your guns are empty really sucks...

Dps wise it's better for tops to load I guess considering you load way more smaller guns with a certain amount of crew. Damage between calibers is not that much if you know what I mean. If the guns cannot pen its a shame. I wish we had more options here. F6-f10 are still not assigned right? We could have more options there because I love total control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jerome said:

Why would the upper decks have priority? I would have thought it was the reverse?

small guns have higher dps ... and carronades have the highest dps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×