Game-Labs Forum

Mukremin's CSA Legendary Campaign

Mukremin

Also... 2nd Corp 2 Division only brings one brigade to the battle. So take that into account as well.

I just won with 17,000 losses out of 43,500 men, but I had 2nd Brigade at full strength. I think I know how to win this one, the question is can I do it with 10,000 casualties... :o

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LAVA said:

Also... 2nd Corp 2 Division only brings one brigade to the battle. So take that into account as well.

I just won with 17,000 losses out of 43,500 men, but I had 2nd Brigade at full strength. I think I know how to win this one, the question is can I do it with 10,000 casualties... :o

how did you approach it? 17.000 is too high, we might not be able to recover from such losses with still plenty of big battles ahead.

Not sure where this suggestion falls within your personal rulesets for the campaign, so disregard if it bends them to much.

This idea is based on a previous explanation by Lava that he always tries to expand his army to field as many brigades as allowed by a battle. If you expanded your amount of units for this battle to fill slots that effectively aren't used, those units could be disbanded. You're probably facing several thousand more troops than you would if the day1 and day2 slot counts were actually accurate to what will be on the field.

alright, i have abandoned another battle of Stones River. I started good, i routed and killed like 40.000 Union troops on the first day alone. I forgot this was a multi day battle so i attacked and captured both points with heavy losses. I clicked on finish thinking i had won but it started the second day, i had lost all my captured ground and i had to start all over again with my forces dropped to 34.000 and the Union at 30.000... i said fuck it, i hate this thing when it brings you back to a start point despite taking the objectives.

I have lost motivation to fight this battle over and over again. Unless i find a good tactic to win this i might consider stopping an end to the Legendary CSA campaign.
History guys approach is good, but he faces less troops and less big sized brigades. He faces 1500- brigades while i face 2500+ brigades.

After the first time clicking finish screwed me I have taken to making a save before I try to end a multiday battle early :(

Do you think any of the tactics you've tried before would work with a bit more luck or slightly better execution? 

Are you in a position where you could take the draw?

I can't try for a few days, but it you want to post the save I'd be interested in banging my head against the puzzle for a bit.

Edited by pandakraut

1 minute ago, pandakraut said:

After the first time clicking finish screwed me I have taken to making a save before I try to end a multiday battle early :(

Do you think any of the tactics you've tried before would work with a bit more luck or slightly better execution? 

Are you in a position where you could take the draw?

so there is no way to win the battle of Stones River on day one even if you capture all the objectives? Or did i had to wait the timer to tick of ( contested ) and then press finish? If so i have fucked myself over lol.

I think the approach i took could work, it just needs a lot of micromanagement.

I took all my forces and deployed them in the South-East. I left the northern woods in the beginning phase alone, i focused on the southern Union forces. I surrounded them, distracted them and struck hard. Took 4 supply trains.

I annihilated all the cavalry on the top left corner, i cornered and hunted them down with 2 brigades and 4 skirmisher units. I guess i took most of the casualties in taking over the spot just below the main objectives. It was heavily massed with Union brigades, but i still fought them and eventually beat them out of the woods with heavy casualties. I then attacked the main objectives and took them, pressed finish and tada it went to day 2.

You can win on day1. Definitely have to wait for the contested timers to resolve though. I want to say that sometimes you have to let the end of day timer run out, but I don't think that is required here.

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pandakraut said:

You can win on day1. Definitely have to wait for the contested timers to resolve though. I want to say that sometimes you have to let the end of day timer run out, but I don't think that is required here.

so had i waited i would have won on day 1? Damn.. oh well, i still had like 20.000 losses which is too high for my taste.

Oke i won, i went the same way as LAVA and History Guy went and it worked. I did lost 13.000 men but happy to take it because my army still is 50.000+ so i can continue the campaign. Video will be up soon, Blackwater is next!

Very nice battles!

Really aggressive at Stones River... thought you were going to cut them off for a bit... almost. But very well played.

I'll probably use your tactic at Blackwater Heights. Nice use of artillery

Am surprised you didn't bring at least one piece of artillery to Rio Hill, but the Cavalry... yep!

Awesome, mate!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LAVA said:

Very nice battles!

Really aggressive at Stones River... thought you were going to cut them off for a bit... almost. But very well played.

I'll probably use your tactic at Blackwater Heights. Nice use of artillery

Am surprised you didn't bring at least one piece of artillery to Rio Hill, but the Cavalry... yep!

Awesome, mate!

Thank you mate, despite the aggressive approach i suffered less casualties. I was afraid i had like 20.000.

Was a bit lucky there at Blackwater, the skirmishers and cavalry decided to charge me over the bridge. So i charged them because the unit holding the bridge redoubt was routed. :D
So i took the chance.

You will need all the infantry you can get at the start of the battle at Rio. I saw History Guy used cavalry to destroy the artillery. A perfect decision.

Playing Chansellorsville now, at day 2 and i already have lost 7000 men. Now on to the final assault, if i can keep my losses at 4000 max i will be happy to take the victory but i am afraid the frontal assault will cost me more than 7000.

At the gates of Gettysburg now, i have an army of 63.000 and face a Union army of 50.000?? Not sure if this is real? Do they count all the troops or will the reinforcements be added later on?

Anyway, here is Salem Church and Brandy Station. I failed to record Chancellorsville ( day 1 victory ).

8 minutes ago, Mukremin said:

At the gates of Gettysburg now, i have an army of 63.000 and face a Union army of 50.000?? Not sure if this is real? Do they count all the troops or will the reinforcements be added later on?

That's just the size on day 1

4 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

That's just the size on day 1

Oh my God... Guess i will go for the total destruction of the Union troops at day 1. And go for the hilltop on day 2. Problem is dividing my 63.000 troops into 3 corps.

Total size if you played all 3 days is probably in the 100-120k range. The union forces are usually spread out enough that you don't come close to facing that total force though. Day 1 and Day 2 wins will avoid a lot of it. I usually just pick off what I can on day 1 and walk all the way south around big round top on day 2 so my third corps is usually just whatever spare units are left over as they barely participate in the battle.

It's a bit of a shame the map doesn't fully open up earlier, would make the battle much more interesting.

22 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Total size if you played all 3 days is probably in the 100-120k range. The union forces are usually spread out enough that you don't come close to facing that total force though. Day 1 and Day 2 wins will avoid a lot of it. I usually just pick off what I can on day 1 and walk all the way south around big round top on day 2 so my third corps is usually just whatever spare units are left over as they barely participate in the battle.

It's a bit of a shame the map doesn't fully open up earlier, would make the battle much more interesting.

So i was thinking of course i use my strongest corps on the centre of day 1 attack, a weaker 3rd corps that will come from the north. A stronger second corps will be used day 2 to take and hold big round top. Is that true? What other forces from the first and third corps can i use on day 2? Or is it just core 2 which did not see any action on day 1?

For day 2, the first phases that attack the round tops you only get your 2nd corps. 1st and 3rd corps will only see action on day2 if you let the phases progress to culp's hill and beyond. This also means that you can shuffle units between corps if you need to.

14 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

For day 2, the first phases that attack the round tops you only get your 2nd corps. 1st and 3rd corps will only see action on day2 if you let the phases progress to culp's hill and beyond. This also means that you can shuffle units between corps if you need to.

i saw in videos that on each day you only use up to the third division for each corps so it is wise not to deploy men in the 4th division?

Oke, i am not planning to let the phase progress to Culp's Hill. So i have 2 corps day one, and one corps day two.

3 minutes ago, Mukremin said:

i saw in videos that on each day you only use up to the third division for each corps so it is wise not to deploy men in the 4th division?

This may be accurate, it's been long enough since I played it that I don't recall for sure and I wouldn't be able to confirm until late tonight or tomorrow.

Well i have won the battle of Gettysburg twice in a row, i took the objectives day 1 and took and hold Little Round Top. Twice i went with this tactic, but my casualties were pretty high. So i decided to go with the History Guy, wait till the end at day one and attack from all sides including the reinforcements. And skip Little Round Top, but take the cemetery the day after.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:13 AM, Mukremin said:

You will need all the infantry you can get at the start of the battle at Rio. I saw History Guy used cavalry to destroy the artillery. A perfect decision.

The only difference I'd recommend with Rio Hill is that you can give up the flag. I move all my troops into one of the nearby lines of trees(different sets have different advantages) and fight from there instead of using the worse cover and crappy fortifications around the flag.