Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Banished Privateer

Bermuda Map

I'm 100% sure that's now how Bermuda island looks like in-game:

image.png.7666284adc2b259ddda3bc8b758c80f4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I've noticed some minor changes to islands and shallows on the new map, the question is: have there been any changes to OW terrain, shallows and land? 

Edited by Banished Privateer

7 hours ago, Captain A D Jones said:

Bermuda looks nothing like they show, been there a few times. St George has a very narrow inlet.

Bermuda map 1797

• Like 1

We are talking about game, not real life Bermuda look on the map. If you wanna talk about realistic map, you need to correct the majority of it.

Map used to be much more accurate, now it includes many mistakes. Is it a planned feature for bigger immersion? 

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Bermuda map 1797

We going off of real life map now? Better remove all the mountains in Florida. Oh and all the mountains on the northern coast of Cuba. And the mountains in the Bahamas. Don’t forget the mountains in the Antilles aswell. Or Jamaica. Seriously, nothing is actually accurate. Lol

• Like 2

Seriously though, have any of you actually been to Nassau? It is not a mountain. It’s a giant flat piece of land. I can sit on one end of the island and see a redlight flashing 3 miles away.

As close to reality 1700's as the technology allows. Why not ?

The more complexity the better.

Bathymetry would be the next leap in pair with variable wind :) 

Don't like it ? Don't sail it.

6 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

>in-game land & terrain is not realistic

>map is more accurate to real life than game

spock phone | THERE IS NO LOGIC HERE | image tagged in spock phone | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

I think we're going the wrong way, but good to see ROVERs have a good mood like always. Just waiting for some jokes or trolling from z4ys :) 

• Like 2

Don't post if you don't want feedback.

Also the layout of the island seems good.

Is the shallows area the issue ?

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Don't post if you don't want feedback.

Also the layout of the island seems good.

Is the shallows area the issue ?

It's not feedback topic, it's a support topic, ok? I'm reporting an error in the game and waiting for the Devs to make a statement if map mistakes are "intentional for better immersion and realism" or not. Before the OW UI update, map was much more accurate. The "shallow" area on the map is solid land in the game. I hope that makes you understand the situation better, maybe you've never roved through the Bermuda area.

35 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

As close to reality 1700's as the technology allows. Why not ?

The more complexity the better.

Bathymetry would be the next leap in pair with variable wind :) 

I just want it to be exactly how the game looks in game not realistic. I really don’t care for what the map looked like in 1700s. This game is in 2018, I’d rather it look like the land created by the devs, not by the earth :P

3 hours ago, RaimundoJoe said:

Ok then, sorry!

No reason to be sorry.  :)

Mapping at the time was an art as much as a science.  Perfectly and accurately mapping a landmass took a lot of effort and was often restricted to very small areas, such as harbors - there just wasn't a reason to map an entire coastline.  Looking at maps from the period, you can see a huge variation in how the different islands and even Florida were depicted, with all manner of mistakes and problems.  The NA map isn't meant to be a perfect representation of the NA world - it's meant to have all the charms and mistakes that would have been prevalent in a map at that time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

No reason to be sorry.  :)

Mapping at the time was an art as much as a science.  Perfectly and accurately mapping a landmass took a lot of effort and was often restricted to very small areas, such as harbors - there just wasn't a reason to map an entire coastline.  Looking at maps from the period, you can see a huge variation in how the different islands and even Florida were depicted, with all manner of mistakes and problems.  The NA map isn't meant to be a perfect representation of the NA world - it's meant to have all the charms and mistakes that would have been prevalent in a map at that time.

this is a game, I don't want inaccuracies, I want to know where I am.

If the game shows me a place where I should be or where I can see something, and then it's not what is in the game or the map is wrong...I'm sorry but that would need to be fixed up in a game. historical documentary? sure. Recounting history and showing what maps looked like back then? sure.

but a game? this just frustrates players when the game is not giving them the correct and accurate information.

• Like 1

If the player spotted map mistakes, a player should be able to make corrections to the map, that's what realism and logic say. There is no logical reason to be stuck with inaccurate maps from the 1700s during 1820s times.

I remember when the map had such mistakes like Barataria entrance bay fully covered with land on the map, while in reality there was open sea, no land masses around. Devs corrected that mistake after some time of course and that was logical move/step.

• Like 3

Agreed. Inaccuracies in the map without an ability to fix it by the player (update the charts, etc.) are just annoying and fake "content."  I'd urge the dev's to fix it before it becomes just one more reason for players to gripe. The Somerset nonsense was silly and a huge point of contention for a reason.  Unless the inaccuracies are a political statement on climate change, lol, then I might be able to get behind it. ;) 

Actually, it may be an opportunity for some real content as well: You could use a stylized, inaccurate, "Here be dragons," kind of map upon initially starting out, with the actual, updated map being "charted" as a player sails the OW, with xp being granted as more of the map is updated with actual coast lines, mapping of shallows, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Actually, it may be an opportunity for some real content as well: You could use a stylized, inaccurate, "Here be dragons," kind of map upon initially starting out, with the actual, updated map being "charted" as a player sails the OW, with xp being granted as more of the map is updated with actual coast lines, mapping of shallows, etc.

^ That would be welcomed by me and that's how it works in many games, with some addition of "fog of war"

• Like 2