Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action ports need a complete rework.

I mentioned this already a few times. Naval Action is a beautiful game, but there are few things that make it ugly. 

1. Ports

2. Vegetation 

3. Textures

Ports

First of all ship docks even in Nation capitals are wrong. Large trading hubs had the best infrastructure and had docks build of stone with cranes and warehouses in front and as you went down the main road you would end up in the town where civilian houses stood. This was a proper design of any 18 century dock. 

In NA ships can't even enter dock, they automatically end up in shallows. This leaves ships with no room to park. It says deep port, but docks sit half buried in shallows. This must be fixed by removing shallows from under the docks.

Naval Action should have 3 types of ports. Capitals, Larger and Small Villages (Including Shallow)

Village/Shallow port example

UUZnXM0.jpg

Here is a clear example of how they should look. Each could easily be customized based on nation. Notice how spread out the houses are around the port, variety, vegetation here and there and stationary ships! these can be Sitting NPCs that bring life to any large port.

Vegetation

As mentioned before use more rock and less trees. Use more sand textures. Use one massive model to represent trees and use a sharp repetitive texture. 

Example:

One model that covers the whole island with variable texture. (You will save tons of space!) Model high details close to players eye and less away from it. 

latest?cb=20120325220323

cancun-1.jpg

Texture

Naval Action textures. Example all land uses ultra low textures. Problem all land does not need to use texture. If you would modeled one solid forest shape and texture it, anything under it no longer needs textures. 

Items that require high texture

-Sand

-Underwater Reefs/Corals

-Shallows

-Rocks

-Front trees and vegetation

-Town houses and forts

-Seashores 

Naval Action uses low texture on all land, uses ultra textures on some rocks around forts, uses low textures on ports and vegetation even on max video setting. 

@admin you made a great looking game , but got lazy in these areas. Please fix them before release and game will shine. In a game where word 'realistic' is used you must be a perfectionist to it's visual look. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 1

I'd prefer if we focused on quests, storylines or some sort of achievement line (aka stuff to do) to keep people engaged for more than 2 weeks after patches drop.  Graphically the game isn't perfect, but it's definitely not one of it's flaws.

Content Content Content Please!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I'd prefer if we focused on quests, storylines or some sort of achievement line (aka stuff to do) to keep people engaged for more than 2 weeks after patches drop.  Graphically the game isn't perfect, but it's definitely not one of it's flaws.

Content Content Content Please!

quests is another story. They need to fix OS world before release. It's all over the place. Quests require a dedicated writer and a programmer which they do not have, so I do not think it will ever happen. 

Edited by Wind

22 minutes ago, Davos Seaworth said:

Graphically the game holds up pretty damn well for its age. The game has more pressing matters at hand than enviromental graphics.

BS, visual look is always a priority in any game that strive to sell well. 

31 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I agree.

Image result for jenga

Picture reminds me something... can't tell what it is :) no foundation support, missing pieces all over the place and too much still remain untouched in the place where it matters the most. 2 bricks on the bottom hold the whole structure! That is a risky game you got there. 

Edited by Wind

27 minutes ago, Wind said:

BS to your BS. There have been games that have sold very well and are absolute not notch graphically. Minecraft, Terria, Crusader Kings II, Rise of Nations, Eve, Mount & Blade, etc. I really could go on to prove my point. Games that have done very successful based upon their CONTENT supporting @Christendom statement and not based upon their subpar graphics of their day and still hold through test of time in sales.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wind said:

Picture reminds me something... can't tell what it is :) no foundation support, missing pieces all over the place and too much still remain untouched in the place where it matters the most. 2 bricks on the bottom hold the whole structure! That is a risky game you got there. 

A great game that sells millions can be done with square blocks.

3 examples

- Lego

- Jenga

- Minecraft

I can present more case studies, including a horrible design that sells a lot - Uno.

Do we need practical design that works or epic eye candy that works ?

40 minutes ago, Wind said:

Compare how many players play minecraft to NA and you have the answer to the question are visual looks a priority in any game.

6 minutes ago, Davos Seaworth said:

BS to your BS. There have been games that have sold very well and are absolute not notch graphically. Minecraft, Terria, Crusader Kings II, Rise of Nations, Eve, Mount & Blade, etc. I really could go on to prove my point. Games that have done very successful based upon their CONTENT supporting @Christendom statement and not based upon their subpar graphics of their day and still hold through test of time in sales.

They all pay attention to details, so BS back to you. lol. Bro I have another thread about storyline you can provide ideas there. Here we talk about NA that is not polished and has graphics in some places worse than those games in 2008. All these are suggestions to make NA a better looking game. Your opinions do not change my opinions, but they are taken into consideration and for future use. 

So, discussing storyline in 'improve graphics' thread tells it's storyline about those who post. 

Edited by Wind

14 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Compare how many players play minecraft to NA and you have the answer to the question are visual looks a priority in any game.

Minecraft is child market, brilliant one too. NA is adult mostly market. Comparing 2 is like comparing an egg and a watermelon. Since NA uses 'realistic' words in their advertisement history accurate and correct Visual look is very important. Deep water docks that sit in shallows is LoL, an not able to sail into the docks questions realistic features from the start (looking at the Capital)... 

NA needs to polish all these things and I am here to point at them. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 1

Whether or not this should be priority is debatable but I would rather have a polished OW with improved, more detailed & diverse ports and even better visuals than more ships ( unless the new ship brings something unique like the Xebec ). Balancing existing ships > more ships. Still waiting for the moon on night sky too...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

Whether or not this should be priority is debatable but I would rather have a polished OW with improved, more detailed & diverse ports and even better visuals than more ships ( unless the new ship brings something unique like the Xebec ). Balancing existing ships > more ships. Still waiting for the moon on night sky too...

after all we will be spending all our time in that environment. Ships are ships, but sailing in a low texture ugly world is a big NO> 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

A great game that sells millions can be done with square blocks.

3 examples

- Lego

- Jenga

- Minecraft

I can present more case studies, including a horrible design that sells a lot - Uno.

Do we need practical design that works or epic eye candy that works ?

I haven't payed a dollar for any 3 listed. As I said a whole different market (children). If I wanted to try now, I can't because they look like $*hit and I am very picky what I play. I respect detail oriented people and games. I've read NA articles and discussion and this game is designed by people who dream of sailing ships and age of sails. You get my point? So, attention to details should be a top notch in our case. ex. If I am passionate about my job I provide the best possible product and always improve. Releasing product as it is today is just bad imho and I hope they do something about it. All these posts are just friendly pointers that could help you guys. 

Edited by Wind

1 hour ago, Davos Seaworth said:

Graphically the game holds up pretty damn well for its age. The game has more pressing matters at hand than enviromental graphics.

It does look great, but some in some areas they said whatever let's go to the next one...

24 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Minecraft improved graphics and engines dozens of times during the development :) Textures having higher and higher quality, better animations, etc. That example was a miss.

Minecraft was being used in this pointless discussion as an example like the other games mentioned, of a game that is not visually appealing yet still sells very well based upon content. I assume you would rather see like any of the sensible part of the community more content towards pvp, pve, crafting, and trading. Not to mention a completed UI.

Edited by Davos Seaworth

1 hour ago, Wind said:

I haven't payed a dollar for any 3 listed. As I said a whole different market (children). If I wanted to try now, I can't because they look like $*hit and I am very picky what I play. I respect detail oriented people and games. I've read NA articles and discussion and this game is designed by people who dream of sailing ships and age of sails. You get my point? So, attention to details should be a top notch in our case. ex. If I am passionate about my job I provide the best possible product and always improve. Releasing product as it is today is just bad imho and I hope they do something about it. All these posts are just friendly pointers that could help you guys. 

I am too. :) Are the towns above ships ? Do ships need even more ? What hardware can run the extra resources in OW ?

Seen this same discussion elsewhere - "planes are beutifully crafted but the wagons and the cows in the fields are very boxy..."

Beautiful eye candy MUST backup functionality, hence the examples I gave. Also stop dismissing those games as for children, ... please. It buys nothing in your favor.

Interesting thread.  This game might get boring for players who enjoy detailed strategy or complex simulators, I see no reason why kids would not enjoy it ... for a while.

I have never played minecraft but the images that I have seen are nowhere close to the graphics of NA. 

Having more interesting ports would be cool, but I would be happy if I could just turn off the names that float in the air over them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I would be happy if I could just turn off the names that float in the air over them.

aye :) 

actually i am happy with the graphics and just wish for more code breakthroughs.

next logical step would be variable wind :) ( to add to leeway, land in battles,... you know the good sim stuff )

( and more beautiful eye candy if artists budget allows )

17 hours ago, Hethwill said:

I am too. :) Are the towns above ships ? Do ships need even more ? What hardware can run the extra resources in OW ?

Seen this same discussion elsewhere - "planes are beutifully crafted but the wagons and the cows in the fields are very boxy..."

Beautiful eye candy MUST backup functionality, hence the examples I gave. Also stop dismissing those games as for children, ... please. It buys nothing in your favor.

It's all about set quality standards. NA seems to have it all over the place. 

-OS must have same textures for LOW, Better Textures for MED, and Ultra textures for HIGH video settings. 

In Any other MMO you increase video quality and textures for all objects in the world increase as well. 

Instead, we get low textures for all objects on high settings, while forts are high textures all the time. Compare fort texture to town textures to land textures. 0 standard. 

That is why I am writing this here. You can defend this as much as you like , but it looks ugly and not professional. I can go on an on about problems I find on daily basis, I simply know NA has no resources to deal with them and leave them hanging. Maybe one day, right?

Edited by Wind