Game-Labs Forum
admin

Open world UI feedback (2018)

FPS/Ping/Online should be moved somewhere else. It gets in the way of the chat box.

----------------------------------

Many images are not Centered, Please fix. Center text first, then center image based on text center. 

VAjBlbi.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How it should look

EVC6NcD.jpg

Also, why water is green? Make it light blue. Darker closer to the hull and lighter away from it. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Macjimm said:

True, but it has a certain appeal, and it is easy to understand.

My first motorcycle had a little sign on the carb that read "This side up and close fuel cock when lay down bike".  Grammar bad but crystal clear meaning.

Product quality dictates sales. 

54 minutes ago, Wind said:

Product quality dictates sales. 

Absolutely.  It would be an improvement to correct grammar.  I was digressing and making an idle comment.  Off topic, I suppose.

• When you spot a ship/fleet/battle at sea in the Open world and then click on it, you then have to mouse over the box that appears in the top right of your screen to get further information on the target. Can this be made an option in settings to be a "toggle on/off" so if i click on a target i get all the info straight away without having to hover my mouse over the panel.

• Would also make sense that when i click on a player at sea who is in my clan it tells me the exact ship they are sailing. Would also make sense for this to be true for players of the same nation. (Experienced seamen could tell the ship just by the cut of it's sails while it was still just on the horizon). Not knowing at a glance what your close ally is sailing, who you have sailed with many times just seems wrong to me. 

• Ability to scale the new UI "tabs" (hold/fleet) not only bigger than their default (as already exists) but also smaller would be nice.  Also would be good if possible, to be able to make the player/fleet/battle info panel that appears in top right of screen when you select them in open world smaller.

• The new map, (much better looking than the old) has too similar colours for neutral and free towns and makes it hard to tell the difference.
  • The port icons are also very opaque/washed out (especially when zoomed out). Making them hard to see. Pirate/Prussian ports being the worst affected.

2 hours ago, Chug said:

Not knowing at a glance what your close ally is sailing, who you have sailed with many times just seems wrong to me. 

Why is the ship type for NPCs displayed but others are not?  Especially friendly ships.  Seems gamey.

I like the open world UI. Good job overall. Just 2 comments:

The windows are just too large and cover too much of the screen. I think these small adjustments could help a lot:

• Font size could be 2pt smaller
  • Reduze padding (white space) in tables and boxes by 50%

And please replace the compass:

• Style should fit to the rest of the UI. It seems a little out of place...
  • Background should be semi-transparent for better contrast.
  • In real life sailing, the wind indicator tip (arrow tip) always points into the direction where the wind is coming from, not the other way round. Would be great if you could implement this in the options so that the user can turn around the wind direction. 

The little ship painting that pops up when you click on a ship is pretty, but it's useless taking up too much area for no purpose.

Best option is actually make it a painting of the ship that is tagged. This will help us all learn ship identification. Otherwise, might as well get rid of it.

I agree with some others who suggested the map could gain detail as you explore around an area. Or perhaps extra detailed charts should be a DLC? I would love to see detailed charts and some mapping/charting/navigation tools appropriate to the era come in to the game.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 6:21 PM, Banished Privateer said:

image.png.26d78336ec901e93729bec80a2546f68.png

Just to be clear.  The ordinal indicators in English are unique for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  The th indicator is used for all the other numbers. 

Edited by Greysteak
removed extra space in 1st and plural "other"
  • Like 1

Ok ok.  It's not that simple.  Those "unique" ordinal indicators are used whenever the least digit is 1, 2, or 3 except for eleventh, twelfth, and thirteenth.  

Edited by Greysteak
last to least

Reposting for @vazco:

There are two things missing in a new fleet interface:

• names of upgrades and knowledge skills mounted on a given ship (there's only an information of how manu upgrades are there)
  • BR of your ship

First one is more important, second one was a nice addition.

Also:

• on map double-click could always show protractor, without a need to press a button. There's also no reason to hide it.
  • when searching a port on the edge of the map, map could be zoomed more, or centered on the city. Second option would require also drawing edges of the map (eg. an old game "Imperial glory" does this beautifully, however in a semi-3d)
Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 2

After fishing is automatically stopped because its overloaded, the fishing is deactivated but the icon shows it like its still active.

fishing.PNG.14dac0a4439fd51b1b76f9f9d579d3e0.PNG

• Like 1

20180712135724_1.thumb.jpg.05cd8c3980f2694a58c098598471dd3f.jpg

I know a bug for bug is obvious but wouldnt mind the flying dutchman for more age of sail feeling^^

Not a bug.. but possibly an unintended design flaw:

On the ship repair screen, you can press "A" and "D" to move the crew slider. This is annoying when leaving a battle and needing to repair crew/armour/sail damage quickly while running away from revenge fleets. Once I leave battle, I usually have to turn my ship with the "A" and "D" keys and if i am using the "A" key, to turn left, then I am lowering my crew slider at the same time. Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying.