Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Cheung Po Tsai

Blame devs for everything

Recommended Posts

I've seen alot talk during my time here that I see on every mmo game that I have tried. Always the same blaming devs for everything, every player that decides to leave the game it's the devs fault.

Lack of content, game not be newbie friendly enough bla bla.

 

But what about you?, yes you?. You who play the game every single day, you the veteran, you the pro. 

You who make global channels a place where a new player might spend 5 minutes then realise this community ain't for him/her.?.

You who check pvp leaderboard every 5 minutes and after every kill, get your team of other vets ready and hit the usual farming area (u.s coast, Port Royal, MT) sink some noobs and then be toxic over global again when they come in numbers.

 

You who needs to broadcast every single pvp experience that makes you frustated by hanging your opponent out in global, usually along with some screen shots to really show the rest of the community how awsome you are, or how bad your opponent is.

 

You who make global chat pvp battleground because you fail in the open sea.

 

What are You doing to keep the player population we got?. 

 

The ones who are most toxic to the game are not seldom the ones that play it the most, which is abit odd.

 

 

Not asking people to hold noob's hand and guide them through the game

Not asking people to be kind and let opponent ship go because opponent crying

 

I never do

 

I can name 2 people who quit the game because of the community, and if I can name 2 then someone else can probably name 20. How many quit because of community?, who knows.

Not sure I want to know.

 

Keep blaming the devs for everything or look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you are doing to keep this game going.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

How many quit because of community?

If players quit because of what happens in global chat WoT would have no players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jodgi said:

If players quit because of what happens in global chat WoT would have no players.

in WoT nobody seeks help in chat in NA player do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH in steam reviews also the harsher reviews admit that the community is rather helpful with noobs. Actually - at least in my faction (spain) - newbies are helped big time by veterans.

If you consider this community toxic ... well ... avoid any other MMO sanbox/pvp oriented game (in particular get along with EVE online, which is a cesspit of elitists, trolls and scammers, yet it keeps quite e lively and healthy population).

For the rest, as far as the lack of content ... how can you blame players?

And not mentioning that the "gank anyone anywhere" attitude of PVP players is a direct consequence of PVP mark system and of the low population of the server.

 

 

Edited by victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of PVE content is a fact.

That kind of content is the one casual playerbase consumes. No pve, no sheeps, no wolfs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Liang.

I understand in part what you want to say. Being a multiplayer game the naval enters all kinds of people and ages. There are real gentlemen and people of good in all nations and authentic rascals who only seek their space of fame at the expense of ridicule and disparage the companions of the game. That's your fun and not the boats. It is the world in which we live.

They may have had some impact on the abandonment of the game of some captains, but I think it is minimal, certainly insignificant. People leave the game because it seems too hardcore, for lack of content, because it has burned playing thousands of hours, for news like the one I read a moment ago if they have delayed another 3 weeks the patch we expect so much. And that can not be attributed to toxic players.


We distribute the blame among all, draw the best conclusions and together we try to build Naval Action, the game of our lives.


Greetings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the players job to maintain the game. Its the devs obligation to protect players from themselves, as been quoted many times, players given the option/ability will optimize the fun out of any game. Whether it be cheats, exploits, playing meta, or playing dirty or cheesy. We play the game presented to us. We don't hold ourselves to a moral obligation to play the game a certain way. We do what we can to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

I've seen alot talk during my time here that I see on every mmo game that I have tried. Always the same blaming devs for everything, every player that decides to leave the game it's the devs fault.

Lack of content, game not be newbie friendly enough bla bla.

 

But what about you?, yes you?. You who play the game every single day, you the veteran, you the pro. 

You who make global channels a place where a new player might spend 5 minutes then realise this community ain't for him/her.?.

You who check pvp leaderboard every 5 minutes and after every kill, get your team of other vets ready and hit the usual farming area (u.s coast, Port Royal, MT) sink some noobs and then be toxic over global again when they come in numbers.

 

You who needs to broadcast every single pvp experience that makes you frustated by hanging your opponent out in global, usually along with some screen shots to really show the rest of the community how awsome you are, or how bad your opponent is.

 

You who make global chat pvp battleground because you fail in the open sea.

 

What are You doing to keep the player population we got?. 

 

The ones who are most toxic to the game are not seldom the ones that play it the most, which is abit odd.

 

 

Not asking people to hold noob's hand and guide them through the game

Not asking people to be kind and let opponent ship go because opponent crying

 

I never do

 

I can name 2 people who quit the game because of the community, and if I can name 2 then someone else can probably name 20. How many quit because of community?, who knows.

Not sure I want to know.

 

Keep blaming the devs for everything or look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you are doing to keep this game going.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What is your point?

Those who play the game can not be chosen.

Those who MAKE/DEVELOPE the game are responsible if the game has 300 players online in prime time, when basic things which are needed for a good mixture between PVE/PVP/RVR , are not in game.

So something is wrong, yes. And i am not developing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, victor said:

And not mentioning that the "gank anyone anywhere" attitude of PVP players is a direct consequence of PVP mark system and of the low population of the server.

People did that before EA release (Look up old join timer topics). Going to Jamaica to pick on brits in capital waters was one of the first things that happened in OW. PvP marks most likely has contributed to a measurable shift towards sinking ships instead of capture, but any other correlation is based on faith or opinion based inductive reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jodgi said:

People did that before EA release (Look up old join timer topics). Going to Jamaica to pick on brits in capital waters was one of the first things that happened in OW. PvP marks most likely has contributed to a measurable shift towards sinking ships instead of capture, but any other correlation is based on faith or opinion based inductive reasoning.

Or on direct experience, since before PVP marks PVP players did more often leave alone traders and lower level ships, now the rule is "everything gives marks, so I attack everything"

Edited by victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, victor said:

so I attack everything"

I haven't experienced anything that wasn't this, since before EA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, victor said:

Or on direct experience, since before PVP marks PVP players did more often leave alone traders and lower level ships, now the rule is "everything gives marks, so I attack everything"

Before pvp marks I captured everything and almost never sunk the enemy then i sold the ship at my capital. Now i get instant reward that nobody can take away aka pvp marks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Christendom said:

We can’t make bored players stick around

If they are bored with community yes we can.

 

But as someone already metioned the impact of people leaving because of community is low I understand that. And I can't force people not to behave like a 12 year old on chat of course, ...

 

Devs are responsible for their game, and for the content that is pretty obvious. However it's the players that are in control of the chat channels. Not the devs. And if it's anything we can affect it's the way players experience the game community.

Devs cannot affect that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

If they are bored with community yes we can.

 

But as someone already metioned the impact of people leaving because of community is low I understand that. And I can't force people not to behave like a 12 year old on chat of course, ...

 

Devs are responsible for their game, and for the content that is pretty obvious. However it's the players that are in control of the chat channels. Not the devs. And if it's anything we can affect it's the way players experience the game community.

Devs cannot affect that.

 

Lol :)

You can always turn GLOBAL off, like many do.

I still don`t get your point...

What is this all about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Lol :)

You can always turn GLOBAL off, like many do.

I still don`t get your point...

What is this all about?

So that is your solution for new players or other players that are trying to interact on chat?, turn off global.

You don't get my point... not sure what I can do about that. Everybody else seems to understand what I am writing perfectly.

Or did you skip the original post?.

Edited by Liang Dao Ming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH your original post was not structured well.  🙄  But I read it 3 times and finally got what you're trying to say, I think.  But in the long run, I think your assumption is wrong.  All those Steam reviews blaming devs aren't blaming them for the chat toxicity or bragging publicly to tear others down.  That's an entirely different subject, and as you point out, it isn't prevalent in NA.  Most of the NA community is not that toxic, but IMO since the community right now is a small one, actions like that get focused on.  If there were 5000 players in this game then the few toxic folks would get buried in that.  Just my opinion though.

And actually I agree with your premise that those kinds of things are a detraction form the game, however I don't think that's why players are leaving the game and blaming devs.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a complex issue.. The community as a whole I think is pretty strong and certainly less toxic than any other online game I've played, and that with only a minute fraction of the moderation that other games receive. I think this is a result of this game being so slow and of a genre that it appeals to a much different (read: older/mature) kind of gamer.

But it also severely suffers from a lack of content and a development/user relationship that has been super rocky over the years. There's no denying that we all play a part in that, since that's what we signed up for in an Early Access game. We are party to the ups and downs of the game, its development, and its community as it hopefully moves from Early Access closer to release.

But your sentiment is shared. I think for as much as we want to bitch (many times with legitimate cause) about development practices, we also bear some burden for holding up our end. And I think there are a lot of us vets that do try to represent new players and their experience and build the community as much as can be done for a game so long in EA, so it's not quite so black and white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

What are You doing to keep the player population we got?

Me? Read what others write, otherwise stop being a  freaking snowflake. It is NOT my job to KEEP population online. If the game is boring, which is the current state of NA, people will leave.

And i can`t do anything about it.

Just now, Liang Dao Ming said:

So that is your solution for new players or other players that are trying to interact on chat?, turn off global.

Again, read what others respond. If you don`t like a "discussion" or trolling in GLOBAL, turn it off. HELP chat is for new players, not GLOBAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Me? Read what others write, otherwise stop being a  freaking snowflake. It is NOT my job to KEEP population online. If the game is boring, which is the current state of NA, people will leave.

And i can`t do anything about it.

Again, read what others respond. If you don`t like a "discussion" or trolling in GLOBAL, turn it off. HELP chat is for new players, not GLOBAL.

You are right you don't what I am writing.

Not going to bother replying to something I have never claimed.

 

 

Edited by Liang Dao Ming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Christendom said:

We can’t make bored players stick around

Question is why they got bored so quickly? If I throw a party I make sure party lasts and people don't get bored. You know what I mean? 

Edited by Wind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wind said:

Question is why they got bored so quickly? 

Bored players leave because lack of content/steep learning curve maybe. Too big gap to be competitive in pvp, I don't know.

But I'm not talkinga about bored players tho, someone else who "inserted" that and it kinda got stuck in the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×