Game-Labs Forum
Wind

Name 5 things you would like to see in NA

3 hours ago, Captiva said:

I recently proposed a question to Ink, asking if deep water port battles needed two BR numbers instead of one.

The first BR number would apply to 1st and 2nd rates; with the goal being to limit their numbers in a port battle to no more than three to six ships, depending on the BR number.

The second BR number would apply to 3rd rates and below. These would make up the majority of ships in the port battle, somewhere between ten to twenty, depending on the BR number.

I though of this idea after looking at fleet composition in historical naval battles. It seemed that most of the time there were only three to six 1st rates. The majority were 3rd rates along with a few lower rated ships.

This would probably be a nightmare for those of you who organize port battles.

Yah that is why I stated do a cap limit.  Only 4th rates and below, only 3rd rates and below or something that could be more historical about the draft of the ships that could get into that ports habours/regions or something.  Just mainly so it's not the same meta over and over of the biggest ships you can find.  I would love to see a 15 vs 15 battle that was only 4th rates or 3rd rates.  That would be more of an easy way to control the mix of the fleet.  Also would love if some ports that had islands and such around had a cap circle that was truely in shallow while the others might be deep water, so you have to bring small ships or a mixture to control circles and such.

One way they can do this is split the port battles into three groups.  Shallow water, normal and Deep water.  Deep water are any thing goes from 1st rates to 6th.   Normal is restricted to say 3rd/4th rates to 6th rates.  Than of course shallows would restricted to shallow water ships only.

1 hour ago, Mrgoldstein said:

Its frustrating indeed i cam fight a guy for over an hour do yons of damage in the end he escapes...0 reward...i get ganked 0 do lot of damage but sink..0 reward..this needs fixing who cares about a few farming gold new players need rewards so theyll stay

0 is not entirely correct. One still gets xp. and not few, even for a non sinky (just a little hint to grind ship slots in pvp).

But I agree, gold reward according to damage is needed. No pvp marks though, if enemy isn't sunk.

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Also would love if some ports that had islands and such around had a cap circle that was truely in shallow while the others might be deep water, so you have to bring small ships or a mixture to control circles and such.

I like your idea of having one or more circles that can only be capped by shallow draft ships while at the same time having the other circle or circles being deep water ships.   

Only 4th rates and below, only 3rd rates and below or something that could be more historical about the draft of the ships that could get into that ports habours/regions or something.  Just mainly so it's not the same meta over and over of the biggest ships you can find.

Just to clarify my initial idea, this applies to deep water port battles only. There would be two BR numbers that would have to be filled by both the attacker and the defender, not just one.

The first number would apply to 1st and 2nd rates only. This number would be such that there could only be a maximum of three to six 1st and/or 2nd rates, depending on the BR. Then the second BR number would be to fill out the rest of the port battle fleet. This number would be for 3rd rates and below.

For example, after fulfilling the two BR for a specific port battle the final fleet composition could be: four 1st rates, with the rest being a mix of twenty 3rd rates and below.

This eliminates the "all 1st rates or nothing" meta and would better reflect the historical composition of large fleets.

I would think that tactical options would increase also. After a line pass or two the group could split up into squadrons; each squadron having a 1st or 2nd rate supported by four or five 3rd and/or 4th rates. Or, the 1st and 2nd rates could stay united while the 3rd rates and below battle the perimeter or center.

Implementing BR for port battles was a good, first step in trying to add ship diversity to port battles. Like you, I'm hoping that it can still be improved upon.   

Edited by Captiva

32 minutes ago, Captiva said:

I like your idea of having one or more circles that can only be capped by shallow draft ships while at the same time having the other circle or circles being deep water ships.   

Just to clarify my initial idea, this applies to deep water port battles only. There would be two BR numbers that would have to be filled by both the attacker and the defender, not just one.

The first number would apply to 1st and 2nd rates only. This number would be such that there could only be a maximum of three to six 1st and/or 2nd rates, depending on the BR. Then the second BR number would be to fill out the rest of the port battle fleet. This number would be for 3rd rates and below.

For example, after fulfilling the two BR for a specific port battle the final fleet composition could be: four 1st rates, with the rest being a mix of twenty 3rd rates and below.

This eliminates the "all 1st rates or nothing" meta and would better reflect the historical composition of large fleets.

I would think that tactical options would increase also. After a line pass or two the group could split up into squadrons; each squadron having a 1st or 2nd rate supported by four or five 3rd and/or 4th rates. Or, the 1st and 2nd rates could stay united while the 3rd rates and below battle the perimeter or center.

Implementing BR for port battles was a good, first step in trying to add ship diversity to port battles. Like you, I'm hoping that it can still be improved upon.   

It is easier to achieve that if first rates BR increases or get their stats nerfed just a bit so second rates and third rates can do something against them. 

• Like 1

5. Diplomacy between Nations, a leader elected by popular demand (voted by the community to each nation) or an NPC. The nation being able to offer alliances, go to war, be neutral; A newspaper available in-game with global news. The newspaper would be a way to understand what's going on in the world.

4. Customizable ships; able to name your own ship, ship color (trim, hull, bottom, sails).

3. Career, I guess. Start from the bottom until you reach the last rank in the hierarchy. Once you become an officer of your own Nation, your actions would impact your career. If you attack civilian ships, merchant ships, you would become a pirate and therefore, be exiled from your Nation and hunted down by it's Navy.

2. Nation pointless attacks on other nation NPC's would be considered an act of war amonst them. Hence the 5° idea of diplomacy between nations. If your nation is not at war against anyone, why would it be ok to attack them without consequences? It also gives us a purpose to look forward too, be a part of something bigger than just clans and selfish or even pointless battles anyway. An announcement from the king, saying our nation is at war against Spain/Russia/Netherlands/USA, etc, would be a really nice touch to the world we play in.

If the king is just simply an NPC, the diplomacy system would work like Pirates of the Burning Sea does. You're a part of a Nation, the more you attack other nations ships, the more hated you'll be towards that Nation, putting yourself in hostile situations once you get close enough to a Capital, city belonging to that nation.

1. A Reputation system. The more achievements you achieve, success, the more heroic and patriotic you'll be towards your nation. The more fearsome and violent you become, the more NPCs and other nation players will fear you aswell. A line between positive and negative, from -1 to -100 to 1 and 100. Become well known in the newspaper as people will most likely be talking about  your doings in the world.

I know everything sounds like PVE contents, but let's face it, this game can be more than just a naval combat game. You guys once were called a naval combat game, but the moment you guys presented us, players, with open world, quests, crafting, economy and other possibilities, you guys became an open world game, and that gents, needs content, background, lore, fun and more. 

The reason why players don't hold on to this game it's because they come here looking for something deeper than PVP. There will be PVP, always will, but it shouldn't be the focus on this game. I've seen a lot of topics around PVPers and PVEers trying to figure it out a way to put an end to the losses on our player base, but it's mainly because there's nothing to hold on to other than PVPing, and that's not something to look forward to. Not everyone in this game wants to battle every single time they jump into the game, some of those players want to sail merchant ships, make a buck, craft, build, exchange, sell, some of them wants to go on missions, battle fleets, sink some ships, other players wants to go on a treasure hunt, hunt down treasure ships and plunder, but others wants to serve the navy, become officers, start from the bottom and reach the top, people want content to base their playstyle around it.

Anyway, that's my opinion and point of view, I won't argue if someone sees it different than I do, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and here is an idea for PVPvE. There's a thing called PVP flag, once you activate it, you can battle whoever you want, as long as they also have the PVP flag enabled. If a player doesn't want to PVP, he'll be able to play the game without frustration.

Edited by Corsário Português
  • Like 2

People are using macros and apps and weights on their keyboards to defeat the auto log off when afk fishing. If fishing rewards such as sealed bottles are to continue (no Indiaman fisherman after fish) can you stop the auto log-off if fishing is in progress or at least make it an option for the player. It's not as though the server is under heavy player resource demand is it. If not, could you stop the book rewards in sealed bottles as it is not fair on the non-tech savvy.   

Buster (fishin' and sh!t)

1) Defensive patrol missions (ie patrol capital waters, get points for sinking enemies) then get rid of green zones

2) Blockade running missions

3) Exploration missions

4) collections to trade for customizations

5) get rid of upgrades or revert to when there were only a few.  As a casual player, I don’t even try to PVP anymore, and that’s sad bc that is what brought me to NA. 

6) Bring back outlaw battles

7) Raids for pirates to get resources, no pirate conquest. 

Sorry for for not limiting it to 5 😕

1. Me as moderator. 

2. More P2W stuff 

3. More mods

4. Less than 12 min countdown for repairs

5. Anything that makes the game more arcade like temporary turbo speed boosts and focus mode to slow time down 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

1. Me as moderator. 

2. More P2W stuff 

3. More mods

4. Less than 12 min countdown for repairs

5. Anything that makes the game more arcade like temporary turbo speed boosts and focus mode to slow time down 

Your begging to become a moderator now? Its unbecoming Sir. :)

Buster (penny for the guy?)

Edited by Busterbloodvessel

1.) Dynamic and binding Diplomacy

2.) Crew management with related ups and downs in quality

3.) Individualized ships, later upgrading by skilled shipwrights over the original number of upgrade slots

4.) mutually agreed PvP on PvE server

5.) no Pirate nation, but special Pirate content (mercenary contract system, secret hideouts, raiding towns, no SOLs).

--

Excuse me if I don't elaborate on these, but I have done so in suggestions and hate to repeat myself. It has all been presented already.

Just one thing for me really - I want to be able to log on and have engaging fights throughout my time online without the need to grind ranks, ship slots, mods etc.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

Just one thing for me really - I want to be able to log on and have engaging fights throughout my time online without the need to grind ranks, ship slots, mods etc.

Than why are you playing a sandbox mmo?  Sounds like you want WOWs and even they have to grind ships unless you skip with a premium.

28 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Than why are you playing a sandbox mmo?  Sounds like you want WOWs and even they have to grind ships unless you skip with a premium.

To crush you...

• Like 2

1. Naval Bases - shipyards by Admiralty ( no more player shipyards ) located in Region Capital IF region is 100% controlled. ( Capital is always a Naval Base )

• a - shallow naval bases build 7 - 6 rates
  • b - deep water naval bases build 5 - 4 rates ( and 7 - 6 rates )
  • c - Capital naval bases & Special historical naval bases build 1 - 3 rates ( and all others )

2. Either full safety or no safety in Reinforcement Zones ( the 10 minutes entry is a no go )

3. Crafting/Resources production depot ( quantity waiting to be harvested ) halved.

4. Multi warehouse slots items - volume vs mass - same volume of wool has less mass than iron ingots. Or, alternatively, dynamic stacks by mass.

5. Port Battles control point circles to shrink as well during the course of battle.

1 Storm battles

2 more outpost slots

3 More Dutch ship but also traders, small and big like the East indiaman Pieter Paulus (1800) 68 gun or a simpel 4 gun Hoeker

4 Rework of the hostility missions

5 Give merchantmen in PB also a job like be a landing ship to trie to conquer the Fortresses like in the war of Jenkins Ear for example instead of full warships

1. Changed RoE for patrolzones (stop the ganking, make at least joining the high BR side impossible)

2. Changed RoE for reinforcementzones (make them 100% save but less profitable or denie PvP marks for kills inside)

3. No OP DLC ships

4. A nice new boardinggame

5. Slow implementation of mechanics (between 0 and 100 there should be a scale with steps)

• Like 3

Maybe like me he bought the game when it was a lobby and skill based game? I don't mind the direction the game is taking but na has lost its original spirit imo. That is hardcore pvp

2 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

Maybe like me he bought the game when it was a lobby and skill based game? I don't mind the direction the game is taking but na has lost its original spirit imo. That is hardcore pvp

He hasn't been on the game that long since sea trials so it's not that and I don't know where you get this game was every a hardcore PvP.......hardcore game maybe but not once they said PvP only game in anything about it being sold.   That is why I think it's so funny when you guys keep thinking the server is PvP only and that folks that want PvE should go to the PvE only server.  PvE is part of the game, so live with it or go play something else. I hear there was a NA:L....oh wait it bombed didn't it?  I actually kinda wish they had made a PvP-Only server....I bet that thing would be deader than the PvE servers..lobby games are a dime dozen and come and go, NA is not a lobby game and it wouldn't lasted this long if it had been.

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

58 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

He hasn't been on the game that long since sea trials so it's not that and I don't know where you get this game was every a hardcore PvP.......hardcore game maybe but not once they said PvP only game in anything about it being sold.   That is why I think it's so funny when you guys keep thinking the server is PvP only and that folks that want PvE should go to the PvE only server.  PvE is part of the game, so live with it or go play something else. I hear there was a NA:L....oh wait it bombed didn't it?  I actually kinda wish they had made a PvP-Only server....I bet that thing would be deader than the PvE servers..lobby games are a dime dozen and come and go, NA is not a lobby game and it wouldn't lasted this long if it had been.

Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

Except there is nothing 'hardcore, realistic' about reinforcementzones, capitalzones and positional reinforcements. They are in contrast magic elements that should not be there. The xebec is not realistic in the carribean either - would've been great for the mediterreanean but hardly for the carribean.

EDIT: My five:

1) PvP on the PvP server - hardcore and realistic. This means no 5/5 ships that are impossible to balance with 3/5 ships - let the battles be down to crafting choices and skill.

2) PvP EU and PvP US servers - game broke with the merge and there is either no RvR of any meaning or RvR with meaning but no mechanic to allow for a global server. Timers has returned the same issue as we had before the introduction of the nightflips and we're still no closer to a solution.

3) Crafting overhaul - no 5/5 ships, but let the crafter specialize in a shiptype/trim type or similar.

4) Econ overhaul - I made 40 million on the first couple of days back in the game. Should really not be that easy and it's not enough to simply remove a few zeroes the effect would still be the same. A dynamic economy please.

5) No traders tool, no magical assistance - you want to know good trade lanes? - Go find them, explore and the information will have a value of its own.

Edited by Lars Kjaer

2 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Neither fleets of 25 1st rates, nor making port in every port with said 1st rates. Nor build 1st rates in all except 3 naval bases, etc etc etc 

Agreed - introduce upkeep to limit the amount and use of 1st/2nd rates.

9 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Neither fleets of 25 1st rates, nor making port in every port with said 1st rates. Nor build 1st rates in all except 3 naval bases, etc etc etc 

RVR don't see first rate much in pb these days. Dynamic BR fixed that. I am now looking for a say monthly update on dynamic BR.

Waiting for buc 700BR and 3rd 420BR. Heavy frigate will soon make their entrance as fleet core built.

Edited by RKY
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

Agreed - introduce upkeep to limit the amount and use of 1st/2nd rates.

:D 

... read again... 25 1st rates !?... never !...building them everywhere ?...naw

Upkeep won't divert away from the...arhem... magic elements that would never be there ;) 

Reckon even I have to make concessions, and whether the xebecs and pollacas, pinks, luggers and whatever, were 2 or 3 masts in the caribbean, truth is that they were there, from the Horn to New England.

Let's call historical accuracy by its name in all levels if we must and not only when it suits me - which it does actually, roughly 600 ships registered at any given time, as sailing at the high point of the age of sail, in the West indies as ocean going and majority weren't even frigates and ships of the line.

Anyway, i did have to defend one of the most interesting rig implementations of late, a full lateen rig. Maybe it opens way to see a El Gamo sized xebec in the future.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

NA is not a lobby game and it wouldn't lasted this long if it had been.

do you have any factual proof other than assumptions to support anything you said there? Just because you think so doesn't make it true. A lobby based game with 50 people online would be more pvp than 500 people(possibly 20% alts) sailing around in open sea. 1 of the many reasons legends failed btw is because matchmaking didn't work. People looking for battles on the same ts would be stuck waiting.