Game-Labs Forum

Name 5 things you would like to see in NA

Wind

4 hours ago, Marcus Corvus said:

You want PvP marks from combat with my trade ship?  Fine. You ought to have to sail it to port to claim them.

Did you watch "Master and Commander"? You didn't have to sail all the way to port to claim a prize, you could man the ship and send it back. Requiring a captain to only board the ship, then to sail with it back to harbour is just an unnecesary chore.

4 hours ago, Marcus Corvus said:

I've been playing the Caribbean server since February.  From this merchant's point of view, most of what I am seeing in this pure PvP game appears to be currently about whacking traders and inexperienced players off the mouth of the Charleston harbor.

That's your real issue. You don't fix it by making PvP so painful due to chores that noone wants to do this. You fix this by eg. preventing ANY fights in protected zones, fixing PvP zones, adding raid mechanics, and in the proces redirecting all the PvP players to PvP zones and dynamically generated raid zones, or PB's.

Noone wants to be ganked by 10 vs 1 inexperienced players. It's just right now the only content you can easily get.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Wind said:

As I said in a pvp only world only wolfs remain and they will exterminate any newcomers. Game design, not a players fault.  

It's usually that inexperienced players exterminate wolves. It's definitely the case in KPR, Gustavia and MT. In those three you will most likely sink, taking a few players with you. Maybe in some areas it's different.

The difference is that experienced player after sinking will buy a new ship, equip it with cheap upgrades and sail out again. A newb will complain that he should have won (cause he had a numerical advantage), accuse experienced player of using magical cheats (such devious things as mods, angling, cooperating, using wind) and rage-quit the game.

3 hours ago, vazco said:

Did you watch "Master and Commander"? You didn't have to sail all the way to port to claim a prize, you could man the ship and send it back. Requiring a captain to only board the ship, then to sail with it back to harbour is just an unnecesary chore.

I am reading the series.  One way or another the captured ship gets sent to port.  And the raider gets to crew it.  It costs something.

Right now the merchant eats all the costs for a prize you get to swallow whole without any further effort.  No reduction in crew. And no further risk.  Combat has zero upside for the merchant.  And apparently zero downside for the raider.

No wonder we are PvP targets.

There is no sense in which this can be considered balanced.  But maybe that sort of balance is impossible and I am playing the wrong game.

Edited by Marcus Corvus

I would like to see improvements to open world sailing.

1) Compass, timepiece, pendant, sextant and chip log on toggled keybindings

2) Ability to control ship while using camera view, so we can sail ships from the deck view.

3) Option to remove port text titles.

4) OW ship markings to identify ship's nationality with UI turned off. 

5) Non-combat instances to allow players to trade or interact with fleet ships.

Although it is impossible, (or just that the Devs are opposed),  I would love to see:

1) Whaling

2) OW ship damage from collisions with other ships and shorelines

3) instance storms with ship/sail/mast damage.

4) Exploration to discover and extract resources outside of ports.

5) Wind and current drift.

Edited by Macjimm
spelingk
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 11:23 PM, Sir Texas Sir said:

1. Proper Safe Zones around capitals, they should not have a dead zones from the capital to get into the reinforcement (I mean Gank) Zones.  This area should be proper safe zones to let the casuals do missions and level up if they want.  They still can be ganked in the reinforcement zones if folks want, but no nation should be camping a capital killing every one and ruining the game for those that don't think that is fun.  Yes the players can just go else where.....like to another game, than you will have nothing to kill at all cause apparently our PvPers refuse to fight each other.  I'll add also while in the safe zones or even reinforcement zones make what Harts said AI are aggressive. I know folks don't want to fight AI battle,s well than go to the PvP zone not camping capitals where most players want to just level and do econ or even trade.  If you don't want the aggressive AI than hunt out side the zones.

2.  Cut the nations down in number.  Drop the Prussians, Russians, and Poland and give that mechanics to the Pirates. Turn Mort into a Neutral town for all to use not just pirates.  Like the old Pitt's town was but it's the same for all nations.  That will make this area  a big melting pot and prob hot 24/7 PvP zone.   Pirates will be extreme hard core mode and can live out of freetowns and FFA ports or the Neutral for all zone at risk of course.  This will give Pirates some what more of a Pirate feel.  Also there zone around Mort are all FFA battles so that they stay open and any one can join, but there is no Green on Green, any one can kill any one while in those battles in that zone.  Again this is to make it the hot 24/7 PvP zone for the server.  Your board and want PvP than you go to the Mort zone and just pop out and fight folks.  Hell you can even fight your own nation if you want.  This will give us a place for all the PvPers that want instant battles all the time.  If no one goes in there it's not our fault the zone was provided for you.   

3.  I would love to see more missions/achievements.  Even if it's just kill so many players you get this reward, go to so many ports and you get a reward, give folks something to do other than trade, gank and craft.

4.  Revamp the perks system so that combat perks are tied into your combat rank and crafting perks or tied to your Crafting level.  Right now there is nothing special about crafting other than maybe some reduction in labor hours.  

5.  More control over a port by clans that own it.  They get a little of the rare goods drop in a port bank that the clan can do what ever they want.  Allow them to limit the port trade (not normal friendly clan list) with options:  Open to Nation (all clans in nation can use).  Open to Friendly Trade clans (works same way as PB's but it's trade clans so you can keep the same list).  Open to all (this is set by opening the port to all).

I want to add one more....>FIX PORTS BR LIMITS<  We have way to many ports that are like 2500-5000 BR limit in deep waters. Meaning you can only get 5-10 ships in them.  I'm fine with the BR limit if there was other restrictions like no SOL's, but most of the ports are at those ranges which means elite small teams can control a port easly as long as there screeners get them in and take it from say a large clan or nation.  Which means you have to mainly depend on your screeners to win a port battle more than your PB team.  I know the days of the old 25 vs 25 man port battles seems to be over other than a few ports, but it would be nice if we can actually field a larger team in a port we own cause we have a larger number players than a small clan/nation.  Why am I force to only pick 5-7 guys to defend a port when it's owned by my clan and we can field 10-15 players in it?  I know a lot of guys got turned off from RvR when there is no longer big battles over ports.  Well unless it's OW battles.  That is prob one of the many reasons you hardly see PB's any more other than I'll use it....US coast lines.   Our ports are getting flipped not for the PB but for the OW big fights cause folks want the big fights.   I mean it's okay to have some with small restrictions on BR, but it seems like just about the majority of the Deep Water ports on the Map is in that range and that is a bit to small for if the server ever gets a bigger population.  There is a problem when you can have 50 ships out side but you can only get 5-7 guys inside.  Either make some of the limited to 4th rates and below to get more ships in and away from a 1st rate Meta or bring up the BR in more ports.  Right now the only way to get 15+ port battles for the most part is to do shallows.  It takes to long to flip high BR ports in deep water and you get hit to hard with the Player Agro if any one dies it sets you back a full battle or two just from loosing a ship or two.

13 hours ago, vazco said:

It's usually that inexperienced players exterminate wolves. It's definitely the case in KPR, Gustavia and MT. In those three you will most likely sink, taking a few players with you. Maybe in some areas it's different.

The difference is that experienced player after sinking will buy a new ship, equip it with cheap upgrades and sail out again. A newb will complain that he should have won (cause he had a numerical advantage), accuse experienced player of using magical cheats (such devious things as mods, angling, cooperating, using wind) and rage-quit the game.

And the result is an empty server. Preaching about newbies' moaning - even if it could be right (and I'm not so sure about it, since PVP players share their fair part of whining, at least on this forum) - is anyway an idle exercise.

Point is that If newbies/casual keep quitting the game soon after having joined it, the game sooner o later will die. And that's the reason why the game must provide features that make them stay. Plain and simple.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

after the UI;

there is a need a need to compete 

nice trailers 

more environmental beauty upgrades

nice chores 

beautiful trees

bigger harbors

different building styles

more flags

the ability to go ashore the ability to walk to the admiralty and get robed by drunken sailors

and a need to explore the map (for the greed) and see other worlds for the beauty 

Edited by Thonys

6 hours ago, victor said:

And that's the reason why the game must provide features that make them stay. Plain and simple.

I guess we agree. Fix patrol zone roe and disable any fights in protected zone afterwards. Right? :)

• Like 2

On 6/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Banished Privateer said:

I fight best players in the game but in the same time I fight everyone, including newbies and rookies. If I was supposed to skip all less-experienced players battles, I would cut probably more than 80% of content for myself... Dueling is now much harder due to lack of a duel room. We have such stopping factors like outposts, tows, meeting points etc. 

I am not suggesting that you skip them.  Nor am I casting aspersions on what any particular player does or does not do.  As a merchant I run OW risks and expect to be chased and caught now and then. 

All I am doing is describing what the overkill looks like from the receiving end.  I might suggest that you all as a class of players consider a bit of restraint.

What happens when you succeed in driving that 80% of your content from the game?

Edited by Marcus Corvus

4 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I got sank more than 1000 times and nothing else drove me out of the game than bad development and terrible Dev decisions or long waiting times for patches. 

No one likes losing, but if a players quits after losing, that's their choice. You can use 50k gold worth ships for PvP and learn how to fight without big losses. I recently bought a Mahogany-Crew Space Frigate with mediums for like 100k gold, got 6-7 kills using it and then captured Teak-WO Very Fast Trinc with good mods so I switched the ships and continued. It was a 1v1 fights in most cases. No one needs 5m worth ships to PvP, especially when you learn. Players think that they lose because opponents have better mods or books...

PvP can be very cheap and risk-free. Players use expensive stuff and ragequit after losing it... 

Ragequit... 

People play games because they enjoy them.  Not so they can get the crap kicked out of them whenever they log on.  At some point the experience ceases to be fun.

I am not talking about losing 1v1 fights.  I am talking about getting clobbered repeatedly at long odds.  I am not suggesting that is something you do as we haven't encountered each other, however.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:05 AM, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'm fine with the BR limit if there was other restrictions like no SOL's

I recently proposed a question to Ink, asking if deep water port battles needed two BR numbers instead of one.

The first BR number would apply to 1st and 2nd rates; with the goal being to limit their numbers in a port battle to no more than three to six ships, depending on the BR number.

The second BR number would apply to 3rd rates and below. These would make up the majority of ships in the port battle, somewhere between ten to twenty, depending on the BR number.

I though of this idea after looking at fleet composition in historical naval battles. It seemed that most of the time there were only three to six 1st rates. The majority were 3rd rates along with a few lower rated ships.

This would probably be a nightmare for those of you who organize port battles.

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I got sank more than 1000 times and nothing else drove me out of the game than bad development and terrible Dev decisions or long waiting times for patches. 

No one likes losing, but if a players quits after losing, that's their choice. You can use 50k gold worth ships for PvP and learn how to fight without big losses. ...

PvP can be very cheap and risk-free. Players use expensive stuff and ragequit after losing it... 

Your thinking is upside down here.  It's not that people lose stuff and it's potentially a small amount, it's the fact that they are not winning, just as Marcus Corvus implies above.  People don't log onto a game and stay and keep playing it over and over, in order to lose stuff.  They want to win!  Everyone likes to win, not lose and especially lose consistently.  Don't quote the git gud crap either because we know that some people have time to do that and others don't, or will never be good perhaps because they're older or maybe just less talented even with practice (let's be frank, I'm in there somewhere).

Here's what I'm saying......do you know the reason I like to play CS:GO, even though I can never be one of the best?  It's because when I get shot and killed, the message comes up on the screen that says something like this: "You got killed.  You won +$2400".  Bonus!  I didn't actually lose anything, I actually won something for dying.  And that in a nutshell is what NA is missing.  If your ship gets lost you should get bonus and in fact be in a better position than you were before you lost the ship.  Then you won't be losing players who get farmed, or players who can't compete.  Think about it and you will see 1 very good reason why that game is so successful with repeating players and NA currently is not.

6 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I always liked the gold rewards for damage, but @admin is against it... Farming and such.

I think it's unfortunate because that would spark people's continued play in NA IMO.  If you beat me in a battle you should get more, no question.  But I don't wanna be beaten down continually, I will just quit (cuz it's no fun).

My 5 things are

1) I would like to have a more realistic economy that you can build ships on without big strange items that are there just to name item x

2) I want repair kits and rum to make more sense

3) I want to see the luck taken out of crafting

4) I want PVE to get more interesting content

5) I also really would like to have better rewards for PVP

A big bonus would be have to have more ships and customise options too

Edited by Angelo Morosini

3 hours ago, Captiva said:

I recently proposed a question to Ink, asking if deep water port battles needed two BR numbers instead of one.

The first BR number would apply to 1st and 2nd rates; with the goal being to limit their numbers in a port battle to no more than three to six ships, depending on the BR number.

The second BR number would apply to 3rd rates and below. These would make up the majority of ships in the port battle, somewhere between ten to twenty, depending on the BR number.

I though of this idea after looking at fleet composition in historical naval battles. It seemed that most of the time there were only three to six 1st rates. The majority were 3rd rates along with a few lower rated ships.

This would probably be a nightmare for those of you who organize port battles.

Yah that is why I stated do a cap limit.  Only 4th rates and below, only 3rd rates and below or something that could be more historical about the draft of the ships that could get into that ports habours/regions or something.  Just mainly so it's not the same meta over and over of the biggest ships you can find.  I would love to see a 15 vs 15 battle that was only 4th rates or 3rd rates.  That would be more of an easy way to control the mix of the fleet.  Also would love if some ports that had islands and such around had a cap circle that was truely in shallow while the others might be deep water, so you have to bring small ships or a mixture to control circles and such.

One way they can do this is split the port battles into three groups.  Shallow water, normal and Deep water.  Deep water are any thing goes from 1st rates to 6th.   Normal is restricted to say 3rd/4th rates to 6th rates.  Than of course shallows would restricted to shallow water ships only.

1 hour ago, Mrgoldstein said:

Its frustrating indeed i cam fight a guy for over an hour do yons of damage in the end he escapes...0 reward...i get ganked 0 do lot of damage but sink..0 reward..this needs fixing who cares about a few farming gold new players need rewards so theyll stay

0 is not entirely correct. One still gets xp. and not few, even for a non sinky (just a little hint to grind ship slots in pvp).

But I agree, gold reward according to damage is needed. No pvp marks though, if enemy isn't sunk.

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Also would love if some ports that had islands and such around had a cap circle that was truely in shallow while the others might be deep water, so you have to bring small ships or a mixture to control circles and such.

I like your idea of having one or more circles that can only be capped by shallow draft ships while at the same time having the other circle or circles being deep water ships.   

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Only 4th rates and below, only 3rd rates and below or something that could be more historical about the draft of the ships that could get into that ports habours/regions or something.  Just mainly so it's not the same meta over and over of the biggest ships you can find.

Just to clarify my initial idea, this applies to deep water port battles only. There would be two BR numbers that would have to be filled by both the attacker and the defender, not just one.

The first number would apply to 1st and 2nd rates only. This number would be such that there could only be a maximum of three to six 1st and/or 2nd rates, depending on the BR. Then the second BR number would be to fill out the rest of the port battle fleet. This number would be for 3rd rates and below.

For example, after fulfilling the two BR for a specific port battle the final fleet composition could be: four 1st rates, with the rest being a mix of twenty 3rd rates and below.

This eliminates the "all 1st rates or nothing" meta and would better reflect the historical composition of large fleets.

I would think that tactical options would increase also. After a line pass or two the group could split up into squadrons; each squadron having a 1st or 2nd rate supported by four or five 3rd and/or 4th rates. Or, the 1st and 2nd rates could stay united while the 3rd rates and below battle the perimeter or center.

Implementing BR for port battles was a good, first step in trying to add ship diversity to port battles. Like you, I'm hoping that it can still be improved upon.   

Edited by Captiva

5. Diplomacy between Nations, a leader elected by popular demand (voted by the community to each nation) or an NPC. The nation being able to offer alliances, go to war, be neutral; A newspaper available in-game with global news. The newspaper would be a way to understand what's going on in the world.

4. Customizable ships; able to name your own ship, ship color (trim, hull, bottom, sails).

3. Career, I guess. Start from the bottom until you reach the last rank in the hierarchy. Once you become an officer of your own Nation, your actions would impact your career. If you attack civilian ships, merchant ships, you would become a pirate and therefore, be exiled from your Nation and hunted down by it's Navy.

2. Nation pointless attacks on other nation NPC's would be considered an act of war amonst them. Hence the 5° idea of diplomacy between nations. If your nation is not at war against anyone, why would it be ok to attack them without consequences? It also gives us a purpose to look forward too, be a part of something bigger than just clans and selfish or even pointless battles anyway. An announcement from the king, saying our nation is at war against Spain/Russia/Netherlands/USA, etc, would be a really nice touch to the world we play in.

If the king is just simply an NPC, the diplomacy system would work like Pirates of the Burning Sea does. You're a part of a Nation, the more you attack other nations ships, the more hated you'll be towards that Nation, putting yourself in hostile situations once you get close enough to a Capital, city belonging to that nation.

1. A Reputation system. The more achievements you achieve, success, the more heroic and patriotic you'll be towards your nation. The more fearsome and violent you become, the more NPCs and other nation players will fear you aswell. A line between positive and negative, from -1 to -100 to 1 and 100. Become well known in the newspaper as people will most likely be talking about  your doings in the world.

I know everything sounds like PVE contents, but let's face it, this game can be more than just a naval combat game. You guys once were called a naval combat game, but the moment you guys presented us, players, with open world, quests, crafting, economy and other possibilities, you guys became an open world game, and that gents, needs content, background, lore, fun and more. 

The reason why players don't hold on to this game it's because they come here looking for something deeper than PVP. There will be PVP, always will, but it shouldn't be the focus on this game. I've seen a lot of topics around PVPers and PVEers trying to figure it out a way to put an end to the losses on our player base, but it's mainly because there's nothing to hold on to other than PVPing, and that's not something to look forward to. Not everyone in this game wants to battle every single time they jump into the game, some of those players want to sail merchant ships, make a buck, craft, build, exchange, sell, some of them wants to go on missions, battle fleets, sink some ships, other players wants to go on a treasure hunt, hunt down treasure ships and plunder, but others wants to serve the navy, become officers, start from the bottom and reach the top, people want content to base their playstyle around it.

Anyway, that's my opinion and point of view, I won't argue if someone sees it different than I do, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and here is an idea for PVPvE. There's a thing called PVP flag, once you activate it, you can battle whoever you want, as long as they also have the PVP flag enabled. If a player doesn't want to PVP, he'll be able to play the game without frustration.

Edited by Corsário Português
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

People are using macros and apps and weights on their keyboards to defeat the auto log off when afk fishing. If fishing rewards such as sealed bottles are to continue (no Indiaman fisherman after fish) can you stop the auto log-off if fishing is in progress or at least make it an option for the player. It's not as though the server is under heavy player resource demand is it. If not, could you stop the book rewards in sealed bottles as it is not fair on the non-tech savvy.   

Buster (fishin' and sh!t)

1) Defensive patrol missions (ie patrol capital waters, get points for sinking enemies) then get rid of green zones

2) Blockade running missions

3) Exploration missions

4) collections to trade for customizations

5) get rid of upgrades or revert to when there were only a few.  As a casual player, I don’t even try to PVP anymore, and that’s sad bc that is what brought me to NA. 

6) Bring back outlaw battles

7) Raids for pirates to get resources, no pirate conquest. 

Sorry for for not limiting it to 5 😕

44 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

1. Me as moderator. 

2. More P2W stuff 

3. More mods

4. Less than 12 min countdown for repairs

5. Anything that makes the game more arcade like temporary turbo speed boosts and focus mode to slow time down 

Your begging to become a moderator now? Its unbecoming Sir. :)

Buster (penny for the guy?)

Edited by Busterbloodvessel

1.) Dynamic and binding Diplomacy

2.) Crew management with related ups and downs in quality

3.) Individualized ships, later upgrading by skilled shipwrights over the original number of upgrade slots

4.) mutually agreed PvP on PvE server

5.) no Pirate nation, but special Pirate content (mercenary contract system, secret hideouts, raiding towns, no SOLs).

--

Excuse me if I don't elaborate on these, but I have done so in suggestions and hate to repeat myself. It has all been presented already.