Game-Labs Forum
melarky

Combat - Whats happening here

9 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

My Oberon class submarine.

smkscope.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

Stop calling them boats!  They're ships!

Technically at that time only vessel with three square rigged masts qualified as ships. :P (See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-rigged_ship) Brigs and the like were mostly called cruisers, iirc.

1 hour ago, Tom Farseer said:

Technically at that time only vessel with three square rigged masts qualified as ships. :P (See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-rigged_ship) Brigs and the like were mostly called cruisers, iirc.

And BOATS(!!) are what is carried on those ships, brigs, cruisers, barques, cutters, etc......(unless its a sub...)

3 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

.....(unless its a sub...)

Damnit, I was going to keep the smartassery contest going with that one :D

• Like 1

Carronade vs hull

long gun vs hull

9 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

Stop calling them boats!  They're ships!  Now I need to hunt you to extinction :)

I believe anything 2 masted can be considered a boat. Brigs, snows, Nuefy - mostly what I sail and what I attack - all 2 masted.;)

9 hours ago, Lieste said:

This is the whole point and purpose of double shot IRL.

A gun, being a long ordnance fired with a large charge to shot ratio has a significantly supersonic initial velocity.
The excessive speed is lost over relatively short distances (supersonic drag is much higher than subsonic for most of the common gun calibres (very small guns, firing grape being the primary exception, where there is little reduction in drag coefficient with lower speeds).

The gun is approximately 'ideal' at 700 yds against a target similar to the firing weapon's platform, with 'open' holing and shattering of the interior planking and inside this range the shot leaves holes so closed that it is not possible to introduce a finger - reducing the charge, doubling the shot are both used to moderate velocity, bringing the 'ideal' range down to as close as yardarm to yardarm.

When doubling the shot, the recoil is also increased and becomes dangerous, so it is commonly used in conjuction with a reduction in charge to control the excess recoil. This is not a "problem" though as the desire is to produce a wide spread of velocity from 'full charge, single shot' for use at longest ranges, to 'half charge, double shot' to use at the shortest.

Double shot, with the second reduce fired from a gun is almost identical in performance to the standard single shot fired from a carronade of the same calibre, with two balls discharged instead of 1.

Makes me wonder if I would be more effective with a broadside from say 40-50 ft away vs firing while rubbing sides with the enemy boat/ship/floaty thing.

10 hours ago, melarky said:

floaty thing

Ah, Imma use this term from now on. KISS.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:14 AM, Devantejah said:

Do you have your mouse pointer on the little window to your upper right with the attack button? I've found I can't control the ship if that is the case.

I tried this out and it seems to be correct. When you start your tag by pressing the "Attack" if your mouse pointer remains over the "Attack" button you have no control of your ship and will keep sailing in the direction you were going till the counter runs out and you enter the battle instance or you overshoot and are outside the tag circle and the tag fails.

Leaving the pointer in the attack box was definitely the problem for me. Just being lazy I guess.

I can't decide whether to report this as a bug? Personally I don't think it should behave that way. It was extremely frustrating to me. Wish I had a buck for each time I sailed into the circle and right out the other side because I had no control.