Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
melarky

Fleet - Lost & Found

Hope this is the right forum for this.

I' having a problem finishing combat when I have a personal fleet ship fighting with me. They keep disappearing when combat is over. I've lost 4-5 good boats now. It may well be my ignorance of the complete process for fleet management so any education you could provide is welcome. Here's what happens.

I am cruising OW with 1 fleet ship. I choose some target and go into combat. During that first cool-down I see the fleet boat, I pull up the fleet commands (on the map) and usually choose Free Form. Combat starts, we both start doing our thing. At some point I see the need for the fleet ship to back off so from the fleet commands I choose either Hold Fire or more likely Retreat. I can see that this is working and I continue the battle on my own.

If I end up winning I usually choose fleet command Stop although occasionally I forget to. I'll press ESC to go back to OW. When I open the status slide out and pick Manage Crew the other boat is gone - never to return. It did not sink!

So where am I going wrong? What is the proper sequence to close out a battle with a personal fleet ship? Did the Devs just program some slimeball captains that will run with your ship the first chance they get? Is that why there is a Sink option for the fleet boat?

Any help would be appreciated

As I understand it, you need to instruct your fleet ship to 'Retreat', then wait for it to actually vanish from the battle instance. This might take some time, e.g. when the enemy is Controlling it.

Then, when you leave the battle instance, your fleet ship should be in your, well, Fleet. :)

Edited by Kpt Lautenschlaeger

50 minutes ago, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

As I understand it, you need to instruct your fleet ship to 'Retreat', then wait for it to actually vanish from the battle instance. This might take some time, e.g. when the enemy is Controlling it.

Then, when you leave the battle instance, your fleet ship should in your, well, Fleet. :)

If you win the battle and it is ended, then no matter what you do the fleet ship should come out to OW when you do.

The only button I know that gets rid of the fleet ship is the Dismiss Ship button, that removes it from your inventory forever.

Edited by seanjo

44 minutes ago, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

Then, when you leave the battle instance, your fleet ship should in your, well, Fleet. :)

Correct. I add that if you are killed or leave the battle before the fleet ships have actually got out of the battle instance, you loose them since they will automatically surrender.

14 hours ago, melarky said:

They keep disappearing when combat is over

When having a fleet ship in combat on your side, and battle is over, you need to send your fleet ship/ships FIRST out of battle, BEFORE you leave. Press M, click on your fleet ship/ships and "RETREAT" them..When they leave the battle, you can leave too, and they will be in your fleet again.

On the other hand, if your main ship is sunk, the one which you control, and your fleet ships can retreat(escape the battle), they are in FLEET section in port.

Which means you can use them again, or buy another one and continue your voyage.

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like I was not waiting long enough for the other ship to leave the scene. Although I'm still a little nervous about that STOP button in the fleet commands.

Fenris - you mention the retreating ship will be in the fleet section in port. What port are you referring to? The outpost we originally left? The closest nearby? If my ship was sunk and the fleet ship is in a port can another one of my ships come to retrieve it?

6 hours ago, melarky said:

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like I was not waiting long enough for the other ship to leave the scene. Although I'm still a little nervous about that STOP button in the fleet commands.

Fenris - you mention the retreating ship will be in the fleet section in port. What port are you referring to? The outpost we originally left? The closest nearby? If my ship was sunk and the fleet ship is in a port can another one of my ships come to retrieve it?

Stop just makes your fleet ship bring In sails and well stop.  

If your main ship is sink and fleet ship escapes, you will appear in nearest friendly or Freeport. You can then switch to your fleet ship

Edited by Coraline Vodka

Well so far the advice is sound. Use RETREAT then wait long enough for the retreat. The fleet boat will disappear eventually. Then go for ESC. Haven't lost a boat in 4 combats.

Thanks everyone. I feel like I can use a real ship now for a fleet partner. Now if I can just keep them from running into me.