Game-Labs Forum

1 minute ago, Thonys said:

you are absolutely right ,but the players who say this and that is always plausible ,perhaps when sails go to zero the more men can be used at the pumps 

and you think it has something to do with speed

i think reducing speed is only a good thing if you need the men at the pumps

All men go to survival at 100% priority, you don't even need to turn off sailing or gunnery.

@Thonys when most of the ships speed up, they increase their lean, when they slow down they decrease the lean. Other than that, if your survival is not lacking any crew, it does not matter if you make more man available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

All men go to survival at 100% priority, you don't even need to turn off sailing or gunnery.

possible, but the speed of water  intake is not included in the game

Edited by Thonys

4 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

???

the speed of the ship is not calculated by the amount of water intake compared by cubic (cl) meter water intake made by damage

(not a needed  necessary factor for the game)

Edited by Thonys

56 minutes ago, admin said:

There is also a snowball effect because waterline will shift (ship center of mass getting lower and lower), this will make newly created holes which were just safe 30 seconds ago go under water and increase water intake. 

This is interesting. So in theory the number of leaks will go up if my ship starts sinking. Let's assume the enemy player inflicts 12 leaks on my ship and I take in enough water to start sinking. Let's also assume that a lot of the balls from his broadside aimed at the waterline just hit slightly above it. These holes should become new leaks then right? I believe I never experienced that. Although I only sank once due to leaks I got "leaked" quite a few times but I can't exactly remember a situation where my leak count went up without being shot at. I mean a almost sunken ship should be cluttered with leaks. Does every hole inflicted on a ship get fixed over time so they won't count as leaks later on? So the emphasis in the mechanic is on newly created holes?

Edited by Cecil Selous

2 minutes ago, Cecil Selous said:

This is interesting. So in theory the number of leaks will go up if my ship starts sinking. Let's assume the enemy player inflicts 12 leaks on my ship and I take in enough water to start sinking. Let's also assume that a lot of the balls from his broadside aimed at the waterline just hit slightly above it. These holes should become new leaks then right? I believe I never experienced that. Although I only sank once due to leaks I got "leaked" quite a few times but I can't exactly remember a situation where my leak count went up without being shot at. I mean a almost sunken ship should be cluttered with leaks. Does every hole inflicted on a ship get fixed over time so they won't count as leaks later on?

White leaks - above water

Red leaks - below

New leaks are not created, they just start new water intake when ship goes down.

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

White leaks - above water

Red leaks - below

New leaks are not created, they just start new water intake when ship goes down.

I know and understand the white and red leak mechanic. But admins statement about the snowball effect about holes that aren't registered at leaks yet but can become ones when the ship starts to sink got me confused. I just want to know if he meant it this way or if I understood it wrong ;)

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

It's not to reduce leaks, it's too avoid them as prophylaxis. Once you  get leaks, depowering will kill you faster.

@admin since I started playing the game, all "smart" Rear Admirals tell everyone to drop sails to sink slower (if no armour or leaks). I never believed that, but the number of people spreading this false information is terrifying. So many Rear Admirals fail at this game because they listen to other "Admirals" mistakes how to play. Can you clarify water intake at full sails and dropped sails?

I think some of the confusion here relates to a discussion some time ago regarding ships taking on water if they are going at full speed with a badly damaged bow. If I remember correctly Admin mentioned something about ships in this position having to slow down to reduce the intake of water. Not sure if this mechanic was ever introduced.

But regarding leaks from broadsides one shotting ships, I think this is becoming more common. I almost had it happen to me when I received 33 leaks in one broadside on a Victory (which appears to be the easiest 1st rate for this to happen to). It leaves you in a bad position because to keep the leaks out of the water you have to maintain the heel which leaves you exposed to more leaks from other enemies especially if you are in a line formation. The strange thing though is that you appear to start taking water immediately without any change in your vessels heading or sails, which would indicate that some holes must be created below the water. I was lucky and the crew managed to get control of it literally a second or two before I sank, but I have seen other experienced players have the same thing happen to them and they sink.

I think many people have now found the sweet spot to aim at to produce the maximum number of leaks and this is starting to become the meta. I had a Bellona try it on me in my Victory the other day, it was obvious with his maneuvering that he was trying to get upwind of me before firing his broadside, but since my near miss I always try and depower if I am downwind and I usually run with optimized ballast to reduce heel especially when on a Victory. 

7 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I think some of the confusion here relates to a discussion some time ago regarding ships taking on water if they are going at full speed with a badly damaged bow. If I remember correctly Admin mentioned something about ships in this position having to slow down to reduce the intake of water. Not sure if this mechanic was ever introduced.

But regarding leaks from broadsides one shotting ships, I think this is becoming more common. I almost had it happen to me when I received 33 leaks in one broadside on a Victory (which appears to be the easiest 1st rate for this to happen to). It leaves you in a bad position because to keep the leaks out of the water you have to maintain the heel which leaves you exposed to more leaks from other enemies especially if you are in a line formation. The strange thing though is that you appear to start taking water immediately without any change in your vessels heading or sails, which would indicate that some holes must be created below the water. I was lucky and the crew managed to get control of it literally a second or two before I sank, but I have seen other experienced players have the same thing happen to them and they sink.

I think many people have now found the sweet spot to aim at to produce the maximum number of leaks and this is starting to become the meta. I had a Bellona try it on me in my Victory the other day, it was obvious with his maneuvering that he was trying to get upwind of me before firing his broadside, but since my near miss I always try and depower if I am downwind and I usually run with optimized ballast to reduce heel especially when on a Victory. 

Lots of experienced players tried to kill me that way,  my Bellona survived 30+ leaks and my Trinc survived about 25 leaks. There are many ways to counter this, so it cannot become a meta... Last time I died to leaks was maybe 6 months ago, maybe a year ago, I don't even remember.

1. Pumps, we have thousands of pump mods, books, you name it

2. Woods. Fir-Fir ships will go down like a brick. Teak and Mahogany woods are best for leak resistance.

3. Charismatic Boatswain will make your crew switch to survival much faster

4. Skill and sailing experience:

a) Leak prevention - never getting leaks

b) Leak management - how to keep your ship afloat once you fucked up the prevention part :) 

Edited by Banished Privateer

Japp! All we need now its to bring back the one shoot demast meta, togeter with this 'head shoot' kill of a 1th rate and we are all set.

I belive we tried stupid before, but lets try that again just a tad diffrent, this time will surely work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thonys said:

the speed of the ship is not calculated by the amount of water intake compared by cubic (cl) meter water intake made by damage

Why should it? Your speed would not affect pressure of water pouring into leaks on your sides in any significant way, thus speed wouldn't increase water intake. You almost never get leaks in your bow.

3 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Lots of experienced players tried to kill me that way,  my Bellona survived 30+ leaks and my Trinc survived about 25 leaks. There are many ways to counter this, so it cannot become a meta... Last time I died to leaks was maybe 6 months ago, maybe a year ago, I don't even remember.

1. Pumps, we have thousands of pump mods, books, you name it

2. Woods. Fir-Fir ships will go down like a brick. Teak and Mahogany woods are best for leak resistance.

3. Charismatic Boatswain will make your crew switch to survival much faster

4. Skill and sailing experience:

a) Leak prevention - never getting leaks

b) Leak management - how to keep your ship afloat once you fucked up the prevention part :) 

All the counters are great, but once you equip your ship with all those counter mods your ship is f..all use in the battle.

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

All the counters are great, but once you equip your ship with all those counter mods your ship is f..all use in the battle.

You don't need to use all counters, usually 1 is enough :) I named them all, we have countless options to "beat leak-meta".

9 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

It's not to reduce leaks, it's too avoid them as prophylaxis. Once you  get leaks, depowering will kill you faster.

@admin since I started playing the game, all "smart" Rear Admirals tell everyone to drop sails to sink slower (if no armour or leaks). I never believed that, but the number of people spreading this false information is terrifying. So many Rear Admirals fail at this game because they listen to other "Admirals" mistakes how to play. Can you clarify water intake at full sails and dropped sails?

Yah you don’t want to know some of the crap I have heard from folks playing the game as long as we have. 

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
Cause my phone and fat fingers couldn't type.

SOL's wouldn't be sailing at full sail in battle.  Ahead of the battle they would reduce sail and get the crew ready for combat.  The fact we can have SOL's sailing at full sail during combat is one of the most inaccurate parts of battles.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Since I started playing the game, all "smart" Rear Admirals tell everyone to drop sails to sink slower (if no armour or leaks). I never believed that, but the number of people spreading this false information is terrifying. So many Rear Admirals fail at this game because they listen to other "Admirals" mistakes how to play. Can you clarify water intake at full sails and dropped sails?

8 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I'm just trying to figure out where fake informations come from and trustworthy source like admin to clarify that.

It's not fake information, but most likely outdated information from when we got leaks from ramming. So if you got 15 leaks at your bow from ramming another ship, it makes sense to slow down right? But I'm not sure if it was actually a in game mechanic that based water intake on amount of leaks/location etc. I kinda doubt it, but desperate times called for desperate measures :)     

On 6/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, Sir William Hargood said:

So I suck coz of game design...really? So we need to get offensive and insulting?

What do you expect form a troll?

3 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

SOL's wouldn't be sailing at full sail in battle.  Ahead of the battle they would reduce sail and get the crew ready for combat.  The fact we can have SOL's sailing at full sail during combat is one of the most inaccurate parts of battles.  

Generally. Sort of.

More appropriately, SoLs would set the amount of sail that was tactically appropriate. Nelson's fleet broke the Allied line with full sail and studdingsails set. And you can bet that the ships engaged in Cornwallis' retreat weren't carrying reduced sail as the sought to escape the French. And then you had two French SoLs foundering at Quiberon, which tells you they were heeling drastically more than any ship in this game.

• Like 3

Most of the British approached the action carrying every scrap of canvas they could muster as the wind, although from a favourable position, was light and variable. The French and Spanish, by contrast, had reduced sail to await the enemy onslaught, although later in the battle some of their leading ships increased sail to turn about and get into the action. :)

( right... who waits for enemy onslaught in game ?  majority of engagements are running and turning engagement full sails )

Who wants to "play" the entire morning approach in a battle instance ?!... During the battle, the ships engaged carried varying amounts of sail - depending on their position and intent. As both these factors altered almost minute by minute, it is impossible to accurately portray a vessel except at a specific point in time.

In truth there's too much too many details that cannot be simulated at the moment, like - wind strength, collision and standing rigging damage from that, entanglements, gun batteries accidents by excessive heel, etc.

In true gameplay purposes the 1st rates ( and any SOL really and even super and heavy frigates ) are so so so so easy to build that, let's be honest, they "need" to be able to be sunk in a catastrophic event like a sudden magazine explosion or well aimed broadside.

• Like 1

The reason that ships reduced sails for battle was fire hazard.  Ships would bring in their courses (large sails closest to the deck) so that sparks from their own guns would not catch fire on these lower sails.  Nelson was able to use full sails to approach the enemy because he was not firing broadsides. Both sides had brailed up courses for close action so that muzzle blast from enemy ships that were 50 feet away did not catch the sails. 

On 6/11/2018 at 12:59 PM, Banished Privateer said:

Structural leaks and penetrating leaks water intake speed dependence increased. Changes are as follows

• 50% speed – standard leaks (current)
  • 100% speed – leakage is increased 2x
  • 0 speed – leakage is reduced 2x

Source:

9 hours ago, z4ys said:

Source:

yes, now it got implemented but before that the worst you could do was getting slower/getting less heel or pushing your leaks inside the water by turning.