Game-Labs Forum

I do recall sometime ago there was a discussion on what to do when holed between wind and water. If I recall the Devs indicated that a moving hull will take on more water than a stationary hull therefor the doctrine would be to bring your ship to a standstill as quickly as possible. It is evident from above that that doctrine is no longer relevant. In the absence of documentation who knows...clarity on the issue would be great.

1 hour ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Really? This is not the first time I have had leaks in game. I have survived exactly the same thing before with exact same ship and mods as before. The difference was I was actually battle damaged before...not undamaged and fully crewed as now. This is the first time I have actually seen or experienced a one-shot kill. As it happened I immediately depowered and dropped all sail, removed crew from guns and sails and when I saw how quickly I was filling with water hit a hull repair.

Lots of mistakes dude, you clearly dont know what to do.

You need full sails and heel, and emergency repairs (to repair pump), not hull repairs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Okay now that I've had my little rant and every Tom, Dick and Harry (and his Vice Admiral) has had his say...Can we all (including me) please lighten up a tad and move on...Thanks

Like it, all this talk of game magic is very concerning.

Buster Potter (Huff and Puff)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rediii said:

so it should be all about the nice boarding mechanic right?

And ships should not be lost but mostly be captured right?

Why not? I didn't know hoping for a nice boarding mechanic was a bad thing, but if you say so...

Srsly: I never said ships should not sink, I never said they all should be captured, BUT being able to sink within less than 3 boardsides of an equal ship is neither fun, nor realistic, nor economically well structured. All the time you need to gather ,materials, craft, level up ship knowledge, join a fleet & sail into action, join the battle, take formation only to be utterly destructed within 2 minutes as a player making a heeling mistake must be trumendous fun for inexperienced players. Sure, if you make a gameplay mistake you'll have to suffer the consequences when your mistake is exploited by the enemy, but sinking a SoL with a single boardside? Please no.

Capturing ships vs sinking them: It is connected to the trading & crafting  mechanics and also to fleet gameplay meta (what to do with captured ships after the battle?), I am aware of this. That is why I already wrote that this is difficult to implement.

9 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Lots of mistakes dude, you clearly dont know what to do.

You need full sails and heel, and emergency repairs (to repair pump), not hull repairs.

There was nothing wrong with my pump or any "emergency repair items". I could have hit emergency repair all day, it would have done nothing. And regarding speed and heel...sure...this seems evident now...changed from previous where speed was the killer...

2 hours ago, PG Monkey said:

Mistakes were made but it's still bullshit if you can sink a first rate with 1 broadside :)

It is bullshit as well if your ship explodes immediately, after getting a hit into the ammo magazine/chamber..would you rather like to have this feature?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fenris said:

It is bullshit as well if your ship explodes immediately, after getting a hit into the ammo magazine/chamber..would you rather like to have this feature?

Yes because there are real life accounts of that actually happening..none of a 1st rate sinking with 1 broadside though

1 hour ago, Fenris said:

Ummmm....  except one actually HAS happened....  and the other, not so much.... 

Thing is if it should be all about boarding the whole battlemechanic of the game has to be reworked and boarding shouldn't be a static thing with both ships locked into 1 place. I'm realistic enough that I know that this won't happen now

• Like 1

First of all GG and thank you Banished Privateer for documenting this with a print screen. We all know with out a print screen it did not happen!
Secondly and probably not shocking, I like the current battle mechanics -> A LOT! I'm not going to tell you guys what you did wrong, because I will most likely have to fight you guys again. If the OP read all the advises some very nice members posted here, you will learn/improve a lot for the next time :) 

We have issues with very low player numbers and I feel like most of the time I'm either getting ganked or I'm part of a gank. I consider ganking rubbish content and extremely boring.. I prefere equal or underdog fights, because winning is actually rewording then! I find it reassuring that 1 player can survive a massive gank like this.
Because then I don't have to fear sailing out into OW all by my lonesome, at least not all the time :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Thing is if it should be all about boarding the whole battlemechanic of the game has to be reworked and boarding shouldn't be a static thing with both ships locked into 1 place. I'm realistic enough that I know that this won't happen now

Its a shame that a 40€ game can have u loose a ship (that will take in some cases 4-5 days to craft) to a broadside or a papper/scissor/rock type of game.

But nevertheless here we are!

Edited by RaimundoJoe

6 minutes ago, RaimundoJoe said:

Its a shame that a 40€ game can have u loose a ship (that will take in some cases 4-5 days to craft) to a broadside or a papper/scissor/rock type of game.

But nevertheless here we are!

That is exactly the game you bought. Don't sail out stuff you can't risk to loose. 

Just now, Nelsons Barrel said:

That is exactly the game you bought. Don't sail out stuff you can't risk to loose. 

I don't care about loosing stuff, i try to make a point!

When not a pro don't play NA and pvp. People will just s laugh ter and tell "git gud". And never ever fight a pro. Pro tricks don't work on them and they don't give nice battle result screens.

What a nice lesson :) it's really good for player retention I am sure :))))))

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, z4ys said:

What a nice lesson :) it's really good for player retention I am sure :))))))

Not sure if you read all the posts where people gave him advice on how to prevent it, maybe have a reread? Yes he will be made fun of, he deserves to be xDD. But he also got given advice and even got told he could get his ship back for free if it was so badly wanted. Yet here we are, all trolls and all rude, even when we helped the guy out :) and smiley faces dont hide passive agression :))))))

8 hours ago, BlueEagleGER said:

As my previous post seems to be overruled by countless accusations of "game fault" vs "you suck" followed by "offensive liar":

Naval Action's main goal is to recreate the naval combat of the 18th century with proper manouvers, historically correct ship models etc. Sinking Ships of the Line in battle - especially with single boardsides- was anything but realistic.* Yeah, some reasons for this might also include the inability to aim naval guns for such precise waterline shots and the unwillingness to sink expensve ships, but rather to capture them. My two shillings: Sinking first rate ships within a couple of minutes should not be a thing in game, and I can imagine that changing the mechanics will be difficult to archieve in a balanced state.

*In the battles of Saints (1782), First of June (1794), St. Vincent (1797), Aboukir Bay (1798) and Trafalgar (1805) a total of 245 SoLs participated of which 49 ships were lost:

44 captured,

2 exploded after out-of-control fire, 1 after being set on fire by the own crew

1 scuttled after capture, 1 blew up after surrendering

only 1 sank, after 4 hours of intense fighting

This list based soley on wikipedia entrys

TLDR: Sinking ships by leak sniping is a very potent and destructive thing in game, that IMO should not be possible in its current way

Most of the ships captured was either scuttled or so unseaworthy after the battles that they wouldn't be used again. As for realism - limit chains = unrealistic, demasting with sniper accuracy? = unrealistic, erecting a mast magically while at sea? - unrealistic. I believe we can all safely conclude that we sacrificed the realism under the bus of the gameplay (wether we find it fun or not) a long time ago. Wether it being realistic or not - paying attention to what's happening in a battle is paramount wether you're in a first rate or not... Or wether you're playing a realistic game or not.

Interesting to see that the captain himself acknowledged his failure and probably wont repeat it, while the anti-"git gud" crowd uses realism. Considering that: methinks no navy would have spent tremendous sums in training their officers to finally let them make easy mistakes in battle. As most people probably agree upon NA is about skill foremost.

o7 to Tiedemann and William Hargood, one for the skill in battle, one for the skill to acknowledge the made mistake

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Sir William Hargood said:

So Mr Genius, please tell me how many times ships get one-shot killed and how normal that is....or do I carry the distinction of being the only noobtard in this game and got what I deserved?

i got oneshoted once by AI santisima and i lost my bucentaure becouse of magasine detonation

Sooner devs remove mod stacking from this game before what's left of the player base gives up the better.  Otherwise it will be left with 20 or so core players and their alts.

• Like 1

Understanding exactly how these mechanics function would be great. The absence of game documentation makes it somewhat trial and error or someone sharing this knowledge. In this case, yes, Henry Turner did give me that but this contradicted prior knowledge that de-powering and coming to a stop is essential. ie Speed kills regarding leaks. De-powering and stopping had worked in the past along with moving all crew off guns and sails onto survival. Previous (wrong) knowledge was derived from some Forum posting in the past. I'm not sure if these mechanics have been altered.

I understand that the Devs policy is that players find out for themselves rather than posting documentation or tutorials. hmm...

That being said. Congratulations to @Tiedemann for a truly remarkable achievement.

So in summary:

Prevention: Do not have full sails downwind of an opponent. Almost inevitable in trying to recover the weather-gauge...but...just don't do it. Fix: Abandon battle and re-tag from an upwind position.

Cure: Do NOT De-power. Maintain speed and heading. Ensure to keep heel or even try to increase it. Move all crew to survival and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Considering your country giving you a RearAdmiral rank, they should have already trained you about these realistic happenings like ships getting sunk by leaks, how to prevent sinking by leaks. 

So cutting the bullshit "you are a RearAdmiral so you should have known..." which is really a meaningless bullshit in this game. Your Navy is to blame, as you are not properly trained when you first started your navy life. So I blame the developers not giving players enough information :)

11. Player experience and new player experience.

Experienced players are encouraged to participate in assisting new players. Players taking a lead in help chat will be rewarded by rare ships if they are pointed to us by the community.
Confusing players with incorrect information on purpose is not allowed. Spreading false information without factual video proof is not allowed (this includes information about non-existing cheats that some players love to explain their losses with). Spreading false information ruins experience for others - such players will be banned from chat and forums.

13. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason. Deliberate attempts to derail a discussion may result in deletion of comments.

Several trolling and 100% non helpful and offtopic posts have been removed.

19 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

this is a game fault, should be explained to you, by some kind of text, somewhere in the game. You also need to learn to lean to the non-leaking side, which you have to experience, or be told by someone, rinse and repeat !

Lets unravel this case

I personally don't remember Counter strike explaining me the headshot mechanic, maybe they added it later but i found it out by playing. Not all games try to give all the information at once and prefer players to find it out in game. 
Some games even consider this a feature (Dark souls one example) when player can only find something out by playing or by talking to other players. 

having said that - games should try to explain important things to players.
This can be done by the guides, explanation or by showing IN GAME by means of user interface or action.
Leaks are visualized, counted, and split into two groups on the user interface (above water - white; below water - red) and when you have experienced them once, you know that red leaks are dangerous and will sail differently next time it happens.

• Like 11