Game-Labs Forum

I had a L'Ocean in battle yesterday: 4 Brit L'Oceans + 4 small ships vs 1 Spanish Santi south of Bensalem. I had a LO/WO L'Ocean with Cartagena Caulking and others.

I was COMPLETELY undamaged and fully crewed and took just ONE broadside from him when he was more than 2 thirds hull damaged and less than 55% sail. 35 leaks and I sank instantly despite immediately putting everyone on survival and reducing sail.

He proceeded to kill us all despite being significantly damaged and with 53% sail left.

This inline with the Devs design to make ONE ship defeat a VASTLY superior enemy. I simply can no longer support a game with such ridiculous mechanics as this. Period!

Edited by Sir William Hargood
  • Like 3

Sooo, you got leak sniped? You know leaks happen in the real world, yes? If you can take on that many leaks in a broadside then maybe you should sink, sorry. A way to prevent this is to depower and make your sails parallel to the wind. Its not the ship that is broken, its that you either simply did not know leaks existed or you have always chosen to ignore them. Not a bug with the game, or the devs being biased. Just a player that is semi accurate with his broadsides.

• Like 11

I think as more and more players get wise to the "Sink Shot" and actually how easy it can be done (especially on a Victory) carrying pumps may be a wise move.:).

Gentlemen, if a severely damaged light build SOL can one-shot kill a completely undamaged Tanky SOL and then proceed to destroy a vastly superior fleet then you may as well bring Harry Potter into this game with his bag of magic clickies like POTBS. I have ZERO interest in a game with such ridiculous mechanics. If you dig it..good for you. Why destroy such a beautiful game of such an iconic age. The age of sail in my opinion is unparalleled.

Sounds a bit unfortunate to me, I have seen Arcadian Chaos staying afloat in a Victory after receiving 33 leaks in one broadside and he had a much more damaged ship.

Edited by Batman

2 minutes ago, Batman said:

Sounds a bit unfortunate to me, I have seen Arcadian Chaos staying afloat in a Victory after receiving 33 leaks in one broadside and he had a much more damaged ship.

not only leak count matters. hole size as well.

8 minutes ago, z4ys said:

A hole is a hole, not matter how big or small it may be 😏

21 hours ago, z4ys said:

+ heel & mods and there are much more factors that count. If a player cannot control heel of his ship and gets 30 leaks, his fault. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Batman said:

A hole is a hole, not matter how big or small it may be 😏

but you wont sink from one that you could plug with a finger. but a 42pd hole might be more than a finger. :D

20 minutes ago, z4ys said:

And if you know if your about to get leaked shot or have, than you can actually use heel to protect yourself from sinking until it gets repairs.  The problem is if you do that your prob all ready in a very bad spot to get even more leaks put into you if your rolling your belly up for them to leak you in the first place.

32 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Gentlemen, if a severely damaged light build SOL can one-shot kill a completely undamaged Tanky SOL and then proceed to destroy a vastly superior fleet then you may as well bring Harry Potter into this game with his bag of magic clickies like POTBS. I have ZERO interest in a game with such ridiculous mechanics. If you dig it..good for you. Why destroy such a beautiful game of such an iconic age. The age of sail in my opinion is unparalleled.

Trolling aside because i have no interest in it, i will concede if a relatively new player gets sunk in this way he probably won't log on again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tac said:

Trolling aside because i have no interest in it, i will concede if a relatively new player gets sunk in this way he probably won't log on again.

Dunno, if it happened to me i would probably try to gather info as to "what the heck just happened" and try to do better next time

I think leaks are at a good place atm.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tac said:

Sir William is a NA veteran like most players from this fight.

This particular battle aside:

Sinking ships of the line with one (even five) boardsides is just wrong. That is not how combat worked back in the day.

Mechanics that allow leak-sniping first rates (or any proper ship for that matter) are in need of an overhaul, imo. I can only imagine, that this will be quite difficult to archieve, however.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Sounds like a fleet full of inexperienced players got killed by a skilled captain. Do you want a "win button" when you have "superior numbers"?

Build a Light SOL, add upwind & pen mods, stay upwind, defeat any number of ships incl. some one-shot kills = win button by design = one dimensional meta = boring as fuck game =thanks I'm not interested

35 minutes ago, rediii said:

the game focuses on being skillbased. You suck and dont know how leaks work so you got sank.

So I suck coz of game design...really? So we need to get offensive and insulting?

21 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Yes, exactly how he says that. Using capslock, blaming developers, threatening Devs he won't support the game because he cannot win an easy battle, calling himself VASTLY SUPERIOR. Enough said.

So we need to get offensive and insulting? Where did I say I am vastly superior? I said vastly superior enemy/force...default meaning as has always been the case with such a quote refers to strength and not abilities...insert offensive expletive liar. Tell me I'm wrong: Santi vs 4 L"Oceans, 1 Constiturion, 1 Endymion, 2 Renomees, 1 Frigate, That Equates to a vastly superior force in my opinion.

I know how the British fleet fight, they sail downwind, lose all position, don't understand the wind factor in a fight, most of the Brits stay 1000m away from enemy scared to get close, fleets are not grouped up together, one ship gets seperated or sail too much ahead and gets slaughtered by a 1st rate. It's all common mistakes that make you lose every fight.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Build a Light SOL, add upwind & pen mods, stay upwind, defeat any number of ships incl. some one-shot kills = win button by design = one dimensional meta = boring as fuck game =thanks I'm not interested

So I suck coz of game design...really? So we need to get offensive and insulting?

So we need to get offensive and insulting? Where did I say I am vastly superior? I said vastly superior enemy/force...default meaning as has always been the case with such a quote refers to strength and not abilities...insert offensive expletive liar. Tell me I'm wrong: Santi vs 4 L"Oceans, 1 Constiturion, 1 Endymion, 2 Renomees, 1 Frigate, That Equates to a vastly superior force in my opinion.

Your ship heeling makes you vulnerable to getting leaked. Depower and you dont get leaked. Easy as that, no I win button.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Getting leaked to death has nothing to do with the building of the L'Ocean but everything to do with the inexperience of the captain. Depower sails and that wouldn't have happened.. The damage sustained by the Santi has nothing to do with the dmg it does in the leaks. If you want to play a game that magically shields you from stupidity - by all means go play Assassins Creed Black flag or some such game. Leaks are devastating because taking in water faster than your pump can funnel it out is realistic - it is a sailing game... You do realise that in a sailing game we sail on the water right? - Not under the water....

• Like 3

The yes boys are in full gear!

This meta is especially designed for the streamers so they can kill a superior fleet and thus sell the na dream.

Allso, some folk here are against everyones ability to build 1th rates, but killing them with a broadside that perfectly fine.

Edited by RaimundoJoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

+ heel & mods and there are much more factors that count. If a player cannot control heel of his ship and gets 30 leaks, his fault. Now for laughing time:

Screenshot_77.png

tiedemann sank also the victory 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir William Hargood said:

I had a L'Ocean in battle yesterday: 4 Brit L'Oceans + 4 small ships vs 1 Spanish Santi south of Bensalem. I had a LO/WO L'Ocean with Cartagena Caulking and others.

I was COMPLETELY undamaged and fully crewed and took just ONE broadside from him when he was more than 2 thirds hull damaged and less than 55% sail. 35 leaks and I sank instantly despite immediately putting everyone on survival and reducing sail.

He proceeded to kill us all despite being significantly damaged and with 53% sail left.

This inline with the Devs design to make ONE ship defeat a VASTLY superior enemy. I simply can no longer support a game with such ridiculous mechanics as this. Period!

Being sunk by leaks ,although you have sometimes full HP, is nothing new, and there is no "magic" behind that, except the captain which aimed pretty well :)

#Just like others already explained, depowering sails and manual sailing could,under circumstances, prevent you from getting those..And if you suffer again from such devastating broadside: 2 things..

1. "White" leaks---"not so bad", not drawing water, try to keep this position.

2. "Red" leaks-- "very bad", drwaing water, and depending on amount of those, they can sink your ship in 2-3 minutes(depends on rate, it goes faster too ;))

(this a very simple explanation ;)

Some other perks or books, or upgrades can help to survive, although most players don`t use those.

Good luck next time :)