Game-Labs Forum
Intrepido

The top 10 problems of NA, my view.

1. Lack of OW content. Empty and boring seas.

2. Gank or get ganked in patrol zones, while it should be an event that promotes more balanced battles between teams. This will please the NA: Legends crowd.

3. Dead RVR, killed by alts. Esteros, Little harbour... havent provided the fights we imagine because many guys have enough alts to buy their ressources and sell the upgrades afterwards in free ports or capitals. Small and more casual rvr clans were killed by taxes.

4. Lack of balance in some ships and their BR. Overperforming vessels like Hercules, First rates. Underperforming vessels like seconds rates (specially the Pavel). Traders quite vulnerable.

5. Not safety in safe zones and limit on mission cancellations.

6. Trade. We need missions which you dont need to buy something first. This will help everyone (specially new players) a lot.

7. Endless farming: Gold, combat marks, slots on ships, books... all of this somewhat needed if you want to go to pvp and rvr. Why dont we have in admiralty more nice books for pvp marks or a drop of books after you succesfully capture or defend a port? Rewards in those activities looks quite low for me. You risk a lot and you get very little (specially in rvr) while if you pve you always win without almost any risk.

8. Lack of ship variety in some rates: very few superfrigates, corvettes, third and second rates.

9. Lot of afk sailing and time sinks: moving woods from distant places to crafting ports, sending repairs...

10. OW graphics: cities, sky and terrain. Repetitive and visually unappealing, unproper for a game of our time. Far behind the good work on ships and water.

I´ll probably miss other important issues, go ahead and post yours.

Edited by Intrepido
  • Like 17

RE: #4 - It feels like at this point there's a weird mix of "let's be historically accurate" and "let's balance the game for playability" in the ships and their specs. Having great game play requires ahistorical balancing of ship specs. Adjusting the various rates and choices within the rates to a rock/paper/scissors setup would probably help the game a lot.

This would also help ensure that every ship in the game would have some advantage or reason to be used. The devs have consistently said that ships and combat are the main content of this game and everything else is just window dressing or the board upon which the ships/combat play. If this is the case, why not balance the ship specs so that all the content is viable?

#1 Lack of Players

#2 Lack of motivation to do RvR

#3 Lack of motivation to leave capital zones

#4 Lack of timeshortcuts to transports goods from A to B

#5 Lack of PvE-mission variety (e.g. story driven quests)

#6 Lack of duellrooms

#7 Lack of proper done economy (without artificial trading goods that only purpose is to get from a to b)

#8 Lack of a flagsystem instead of grindy hostility missions we have right now

#9 Lack of players per nation (5 nations would be more than enough)

#10 Lack of restrictions to use alt accounts, as they destroyed so many gamemechanics

• Like 8

@Intrepido

Good post and multiple issues at each problem as well. If you put them in order of priority would the order change much?

For me...

1, 8, 4, 7, 9, 3...

Norfolk.

These suggestions are so familiar, they show up again and again with little effect. I would rate them all 10 if I had a chance. The list of missed items is too vast to spend time on it and I will just leave it be. 

Edited by Wind

It's not like people haven't been vocal about why they're not playing. You hit alot of the big ones along with.a few of the replies. At this point I'd rather play the game that was first released on steam. Got lost somewhere.

1 hour ago, SeamanStaines said:

Biggest problem at present is lack of players. Its reaching a critical point. The rest is trivial by comparison.

This is the symptom, not the disesase.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Intrepido said:

OW graphics: cities, sky and terrain. Repetitive and visually unappealing, unproper for a game of our time. Far behind the good work on ships and water.

I have to partly agree here. Sometimes the game looks simply beautiful but up close the vegetation seems too pixelated, there is no moon at night ( ? ) and the cities / architecture are indeed too repetitive and lacking in diversity but admin said, it might be improved at some point and we will have better looking cities with more diverse architectural styles.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

I have to partly agree here. Sometimes the game looks simply beautiful but up close the vegetation seems too pixelated, there is no moon at night ( ? ) and the cities / architecture are indeed too repetitive and lacking in diversity but admin said, it might be improved at some point and we will have better looking cities with more diverse architectural styles.

Glad to see someone who is talking sense. 

Not only vegetation, textures used on most land objects are brutal. Fort textures have better resolution, but still could use an improvement. For example compare land texture with fort rock texture (day and night).  Vegetation could use variety of color/shapes and a much better approach. It feels like they haven't decided what the resolution should be across all object in the world just yet. They allowed hi res on forts, but low res everywhere else. I would also boost saturation on everything just a bit. Trees need to be green. 

Skies need a higher resolution. You can see that sand. They need to beautify Capitals the most as these areas will be filled with players.

Also, US ports have wrong structure models (historically incorrect). 

This all must be polished before release. Lot's of work. 

Edited by Wind

Too dreary and time consuming to bother playing, yet all content, meaning and immersion is eroded when shortcuts are introduced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, victor said:

This is the symptom, not the disesase.

Works both ways really - the mentioned issues especially the massive grind and thereby waste of time caused the mass exodus of players and the lack of palyers now renders many game mechanics unplayable or increases the grindyness. Lets face it crafting a Victory between 50 players per clan is not too big an issue if you get a guy to make an excel and assign resource buildings to each guy - each does 30mins of sail for trade and a little expense and uses their hours to turn resources. But now imagine the same workload but only 1-5 guys working on it...

• Like 1

- I would remove PVP marks. They make profitable sinking new and unexperienced players. Before PVP marks you just let them go.
- Anonymous OW ships info. Its supposed to be a clan based game but u cant tell if that pirate o or french, etc belongs to a friendly o foe clan. 
- No OW chat between ships. Therefore no coordination with players of other nations.
- PVP patrol zones. Remove players from OW. PVP in PVP patrol zones is not real PVP and generates PVP inflaction.
- 1 dura ships. With old 5-3-2-1 duras players were more pronned to enter in battle.
- Rare pvp-expensive Books & Upgrades. They give too much advantage to players that already have advantage because of their experience.
- Special ships you give in tournaments that are only won by the same 10 players.
- Too few outposts and ships slots. DLCs could solve this.
- I miss the flag system. It could return in special events. It was really fun wondering from where to where the flag would go.

• Like 2

I only got one problem to comment on.  There needs to be BIG fun battles for this to succeed.  I bought this game after watching the sea trials battles on youtube, so  that is primarily what I was looking for.  The unfortunate vehicle of "port battles" is what we ended up with to set up big battles, and it fails for various reasons such as player numbers, metas, time zones, RvR manouvering, etc.  After the Great Wipe I played for 9 months and in going to what must be more than 24 port battles, only TWO of those were fully contested port battles.  Night flips would be counterd by work flips, and the hostility system was broken.  Everybody trying to set up an easy win.  Almost every port battle was empty, a complete mismatch, or a tiny handful of players. One of my port battles was a one-vs-one stalemate!   It will help that people can now do the tutorial to get to a frigate much faster, but there have to be fleet battles.  The fleet practice thing was an interesting idea, though I didn't try it at the time.  I don't mind the open world part for what it is, but without fleet battles there's ultimately no point. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)
  • Like 1

The premise for my comment is that I believe most solitary players enjoy economic depth to a game. So I think #1 problem with the game is the lack of depth, workability , and activity (content) in the economy of NA.  It affects and cascades down to everything in the game, such as ship sales and construction, trading, support for clans, OW sailing, on and on.

• Like 5

On 6/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, Intrepido said:

3. Dead RVR, killed by alts. Esteros, Little harbour... havent provided the fights we imagine because many guys have enough alts to buy their ressources and sell the upgrades afterwards in free ports or capitals.

This problem could be mitigated by de-incentivizing their use.

Players with time on their hands can camp on top of drops and pretty much airlock the economic activity in a given upgrade resource.  All it takes is a couple such campers and the odds of getting in on the drop fall very rapidly.  Huge incentive to use alts.  Only possible way for non-alt players to compete is by using the coming outpost DLC but you STILL have to have time on your hands. 

I actually tried when Little Harbor was open.  I do not have time for that.  Good way to suffocate player interest in doing econ in the game which already is considered hard-core because of the time it requires elsewhere.

If this is viewed as a real problem in the economy then EVERYTHING that goes into player crafting ought to come from a player production building.  Probably by adding something like a "crown trading concession" or some other such building for locations that currently have drops but no historical basis for production.  That opens the airlock. 

High-priced commodities will attract new player production.  And the prices come down.  Econ 101.

Couple this with giving owning clans the ability to restrict the nation of who can open a building in a closed port.  Alts will still get used.  No way to stop that.  But they will need additional copies of the game to cover the additional nations.  Or be churning the Proflic Forger every 30 days and pulling up stakes.

Actual player-driven econ will also reduce the need for #6.

Edited by Marcus Corvus

After logging over 2600 hours into Naval Action I can honestly say that I enjoy Sid Meier's Pirates far more. Why this is the case I'm not sure. I can recall what seemed to be a golden age of Naval Action back before 2017, but what made it so, and why it no longer has this quality I am unable to pinpoint. Perhaps it's the player base or maybe it's the players themselves that have changed. Or maybe  instead of one thing or ten things that have gone wrong, it's the hundred or so small changes that have caused the game to lose it's luster. Either way I no longer have a desire to play NA or even own it.

It is certainly not my task to "defend" the game, but if you do not like it and you do not play it, why you write about it on the forum? You do not even know why you do not like it! no name, no flag even your name is useless!
A tip: uninstall NA and free space on your hard drive, and at the same time we will no longer have to read unnecessary comments.

19 hours ago, No name, no flag said:

Either way I no longer have a desire to play NA or even own it.

Good to see the desire to still come on to the forums and moan about the game without offering any constructive criticism is still there at least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RaimundoJoe said:

What did u offer that was constructive?

Nothing!

I am not sure who you are addressing here, because you did not quote anyone but just in case of the off chance it is me:

I'm not the one whinging and moaning about the game without any suggestion of how to fix it, like you and the other fella. I am happy with the game and patches and thus do not need to add constructive criticism at this point in time. Can you follow through?

Edited by Sovereign

Fanboys take a breath, what I wrote was not a whine or a moan, it is simply an observation. I didn't recommend any changes because I do not know what can effectively be changed to improve the game. NA has good combat mechanics and beautiful graphics, the cannon balls fly and ships get sunk, but that is where it ends for me. I am at max crafting and xp rank, have lvl 3 shipyard, workshop, multiple 1st rates and millions in gold. I can lose a 1st rate and shrug it off, buy victory marks on a whim and lose three indiaman with all their cargo and replace them in a few moments. So what is left for me to do? RvR? I have tried pushing my nation into war by attempting to organize players to generate hostility on enemy ports, no interest. I have even tried raising hostility on enemy ports alone to generate a port battle, again no interest. Wheres the patch to fix this? So because RvR in my nation is dead what do I do? PvP? While in a Santi, I recently watched three friendly third rates and a second rate run past me going in the opposite direction while I was trying to get upwind to join a battle that they had declined to join because the odds were to even. By the time I reached the battle it was closed and the three friendly ships inside were lost. I have seen this scenario in one form or another repeated over and over again. But lets say I accept that my fellow countrymen won't fight and I take my 5th rate alone to MT looking for a battle, in NA players consistently shy away from 1 v 1 or even 2 v 1 in order to fight 5 v 1, meaning I would just be spending an hour to have the privilege of dying. What patch could be employed to fix this? I have seen L'Oceans broadside modded Bellonas with no effect, fleet ships disappear in patrol zones, Surprises overtake Lynxes going to windward, ships with one hull bar almost fully repair while in battle, Ingermans doing 15 knots, multiple Indiaman sunk by a single player in a snow and much, much more, but no patches are needed because these are desired game mechanics. Fans of NA in the form it is now have a right to like it as it is and the developers have the right to continue to move it in that direction but I just don't see myself going along for that ride.

• Like 7