Game-Labs Forum
Intrepido

The top 10 problems of NA, my view.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, No name, no flag said:

I have seen L'Oceans broadside modded Bellonas with no effect, fleet ships disappear in patrol zones, Surprises overtake Lynxes going to windward, ships with one hull bar almost fully repair while in battle, Ingermans doing 15 knots, multiple Indiaman sunk by a single player in a snow and much, much more...

Modifying ships should be extremely limited to keep ships closer to their base stats, so that experienced players with a crap load of time and resources don't simply outclass newer players using the same ship by extreme amounts.  Using whatever cannons you like is fine, and having a couple other minor modifications to make the ship a little more of what you want is also fine, but nothing to make it bad as what's already been mentioned in this thread.

Also, the grind to get resources to build ships and modifications, the time invested, and having only one durability to lose it all in an instant is a huge mistake.  This isn't Eve online, there isn't a huge player base to keep the economy running, to keep the costs of ships and mods down.  Each loss hurts the individual player more.  You want to promote PvP but then make it such a burden on the loser to do so.  Who wants to risk everything if it's going to take them forever to get it back?  Losses need to not be so costly, and the rewards for winning not much greater than what you'd get for losing.  Sure this might not apply to players in large clans, but a lot of players, especially new ones, won't be in large clans, or might not want to be in large clans, and this will make them quit.

Speaking of not having a large player base, this game needs to be released, and soon.  The fact that it hasn't been released I'm sure has made numerous people, myself and all my friends included, stop playing.  I don't want my progress reset again, I'm not going to play knowing I'll just have to start over again.  Then there's all the people who stay away from this game because it's still in early access, and has been for over 2 years.  There's little confidence in this game right now because it has not been released.  Just read the reviews left on Steam.

21 minutes ago, fremen said:

Only one problem:

1-Lack of programers, intention and money to improve game propely.

Admin have the will, he is quite passionate about his work, but lacks the other two things.

We can only encourage him to take higher risks and invest more in NA. Despite all its faults, it is a nice game that can become excellent. And I have played tons of pc games but this one, is special.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 12:10 PM, Aegir said:

....all content, meaning and immersion is eroded when shortcuts are introduced.

This is valid.  Shortcuts and mechanics, that rush the gameplay, help soothe impatience in the short term, but ultimately create boredom.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, No name, no flag said:

Fans of NA in the form it is now have a right to like it as it is and the developers have the right to continue to move it in that direction

I feel the same way.  I wouldn't want to change the game and ruin the experience for those who love it the way it is.

Edited by Macjimm
Grammar

35 minutes ago, fremen said:

Only one problem:

1-Lack of programers, intention and money to improve game propely.

Even if devs justify the lack of new content (and the refusal to make some obvious and/or most asked changes) because of making the game "more hardcore", I actually reached the same conclusion. And that's basically also the reason why - at least for me - it does nolonger much sense suggesting things or changes on this forum (or even only wondering about which could be the problems of the game).

I actually cannot tell if the lack is more on the side of money or of will (maybe a bit of both). But - at the end of the story - the reason is not so important, while the result is.

And the result is that - after 5000 hours spent ingame - now I'm playing every day less and less time. And the numbers of players on steam seem to tell that a lot of other players are doing the same.

Anyway, let's see what next patch will bring us. Maybe there's some nice surprise behind the corner. :o

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

I find myself doing the same as @victor, currently I’m taking a needed break after NA-L and such with no special testing needed.

@Intrepido I think is absolutely right @admin has the will and still very passionate about his work. If its lack of programmers or money that we can only speculate on...

“And I have played tons of pc games but this one, is special.”

No one will disagree with this am sure. Could this game in all seriousness be launched in October/November 2018? What more core features need real attention. What Do we as TESTERs really need to test?

It’s a remarkable game, once completed I believe it would be much easier to launch additional content not just DLC but a NA-Legends plus more. Without the release it’s a pipe dream.

Can POST launch the Dev Team keep evolving NA-OW et al? Do they have the mainline resources or is it worth bringing in another company to help?

Norfolk.

Edited by Norfolk nChance

22 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

What Do we as TESTERs really need to test?

Everything.

And that means not get tied to stuff like rank or amount of ships or amount of things in the warehouse or amount of gold.

Fearless testing. Wipe character often. Test different aspects with every "new character.

That's what us testers need to test. Not be hamsters in a wheel running round and around doing the exact same things day after day after year.

On the OP vein of thought...

Latest idea and implementation, regarding OW and Conquest was Clanwars - very stronk, very strong suggestion from us players that devs implemented. Tell me... how is it going ? 

Remember that pretty much everything we do have, regarding "rulebook" is from suggestions brought by us that devs saw fit to implement to test.

So two things are happening and we must be honest - either the idea wasn't that good or we are not testing it right.

• Like 1

@Hethwill

I totally respect your view here but Norfolk nWay, Norfolk nLegend, etc time and again have done new PC restarts including different servers and TESTBED. I was the one who called for @admin to do a complete and total wipe remember...

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/20652-the-junkie-his-dealer…/?tab=comments#comment-418875

This would be a wrong move now killing off too many players IMO. Fearless testing I’ve done on multiple occasions I genuinely believe. Then giving ideas back, like introducing “AGONY” and the using PvE ladders into PvP to help rookie starts. Whether taken up or not I don't care, it's just my feedback.

Probably what I’m trying to say is HOW CAN I HELP THE MOST WITH THE LIMITED TIME LEFT...?

If you don’t believe there’s a limited time left launching the game and it’s not the main priority then your comment is 100% correct.

Norfolk nHamister

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Everything.

And that means not get tied to stuff like rank or amount of ships or amount of things in the warehouse or amount of gold.

Fearless testing. Wipe character often. Test different aspects with every "new character.

That's what us testers need to test. Not be hamsters in a wheel running round and around doing the exact same things day after day after year.

On the OP vein of thought...

Latest idea and implementation, regarding OW and Conquest was Clanwars - very stronk, very strong suggestion from us players that devs implemented. Tell me... how is it going ? 

Remember that pretty much everything we do have, regarding "rulebook" is from suggestions brought by us that devs saw fit to implement to test.

So two things are happening and we must be honest - either the idea wasn't that good or we are not testing it right.

You know what part is lacking in your speech?

The "fun" element.

A game shall be funny (even in testing, at least when you are not paid for doing it). If a game - after two years of development - bored to death the majority of testers (which are quite expert players), how can you imagine that, when launched, the game will keep players engaged on the long term?

Maybe you (and some other players) can find the actual state of the game/testing very funny  ... de gustibus non disputandum est ... but when your personal concept of "funny game" is leading naval action to 300ish players population in prime time, you should start making some educated guess about satisfying also the idea of fun of other players. In multiplayer game numbers are essential.

As far as game features .... sorry to disagree with you: a lot of features in this game came out of the blue with little to no request from the players, while a lot of things and changes that were proposed and requested by a lot of people were ignored with no apparent reasons (yet I adimt that the suggestions of some kind of players, namely the OS PVPers, were sometimes satisfied). Devs also stated it clearly some time ago: the game has taken the "hardcore path". I personally do not agree with this direction of development, whose results in term of game population are just there to be seen.

This is a game just for PVP ... ok, no problem, I will deal with it (I have been playing also when no safe zones were there, BUT there was not the plague of PVP marks hunger). Point is numbers are showing that this model of PVP game is just not working properly.

But your logic is summarized in the last phrase. There is no escape from reasoning like "since they are always right, who disagrees must be someway wrong". But since this is the mood of the late stage of development, why wasting my free time with testing when I know that there is actually zero chance that my suggestions - being aimed to satisfy some casual and carebears needs - will be listened to?

As i told. I play a little and wait for the patch, just to see if the tide starts turning somehow.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

:) I take all EA's with the same approach. NA is no exception.

Victor, you are correct. Fun element is missing with good reason.

What brought a player to NA may well not be what brought another player to NA. To one the fun of simulating a career, for the other the fun of competitive combat.

So i dismiss it as I cannot speak of "fun" except my own. And game evolved a lot. For some it diverged from their "fun", for others it came closer to their "fun".

In the end, numbers tell. Hence why I question every change, no matter if it meets my own fun or not.

Is it working ? Why ? How it isn't ? Am I doing this correct ? Should I test it any other way ?

Time commitment is huge indeed.

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

I respectfully disagree. Our sugestions are contrversial at best and quite often contradictory. That implies that devs choose. And from the time i worked as a developer i remember that even before we wrote a single line of code we calculated the fallout of the changes we were about to make.

I can still remember manny of us were against this ideea (patch 11).

Edited by RaimundoJoe
  • Like 1

Just now, RaimundoJoe said:

I respectfully disagree. Our sugestions are contrversial at best and quite often contradictory. I can still remember manny of us were against this ideea (patch 11).

Oh totally. Let's not forget NA is not our property though :D , right ? Guess GL reserves the right to implement whatever they see fit from whatever we suggest ?!...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Oh totally. Let's not forget NA is not our property though :D , right ? Guess GL reserves the right to implement whatever they see fit from whatever we suggest ?!...

Time it takes to implement things killing off population. They need to speed things up. I am afraid once Skull and Bones hits the market it will punch NA in the groin. So, anything before it's release is a must, time is against us here. We need good content fast. Imho next few Patches are critical for NA and it's future. 

Best way would be Kickstarter project for things people want the most and willing to pay for it's development. Many new rates and frigates, campaign, world beautification, loot etc.. 

Edited by Wind

I don't want any artificial help making fair fights. There needs to be protection for new players and that's it.  I couldn't give a toss if a fight is fair or not you win some you loose some.

Is one person in a Bellona with book of five rings and other top mods against another person in a Ballona without all the tops mods fair just because its one V one? Very little is fair in the open seas and that's how it should remain for me.

9 minutes ago, Fletch67 said:

I don't want any artificial help making fair fights.

OW will be like that, don't worry. Us crazies ask for that only in patrol mission zones, you can stay away from it as we don't want to force fun on anyone.

I've always thought there was a clear lack of direction. I could be wrong, but @admin allowed development to be sidetracked chasing suggestions in the forums. Over a year ago I enjoyed logging in and trying things out, now it's a chore. Now I'm just sitting on the sidelines watching it burn to the ground.

A couple months ago iirc @adminclaimed there was over 10k unique logins a day, yet no more than 500 online at a time( according to steamcharts fwiw) does not seem to add up.  

NAL is dead, they should just go ahead and remove it's section from the forums. Any who believe otherwise are kidding themselves.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:07 AM, Intrepido said:

We can only encourage him to take higher risks and invest more in NA. Despite all its faults, it is a nice game that can become excellent. And I have played tons of pc games but this one, is special.

I agree on the 2nd part, but the first one is just a joke. Why would you invest money into a project which has seen most of its sales? They finish their promises (UI, translations) and add some stuff which brings money (ships, DLCs) and everything beyond that is just a gift.

They should just move to NA2 and fix problems which cannot be fixed in NA anymore. Like for example economy. How can you make a nice economy if the server only updates once a day? Its simply not possible, noone wants to check every port all the time for items just because the game is unable to give infos about it or allow 3rd party sites to show items currently for sale.

They can also partially use the UI and translation which they are doing right now for NA2 and ofc the combat system and ship models.

@Justme NAL is ofc dead since they stopped working on it and turned off the servers.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

I agree on the 2nd part, but the first one is just a joke. Why would you invest money into a project which has seen most of its sales? They finish their promises (UI, translations) and add some stuff which brings money (ships, DLCs) and everything beyond that is just a gift.

They should just move to NA2 and fix problems which cannot be fixed in NA anymore. Like for example economy. How can you make a nice economy if the server only updates once a day? Its simply not possible, noone wants to check every port all the time for items just because the game is unable to give infos about it or allow 3rd party sites to show items currently for sale.

They can also partially use the UI and translation which they are doing right now for NA2 and ofc the combat system and ship models.

@Justme NAL is ofc dead since they stopped working on it and turned off the servers.

Why would they invest more in NA? Because NA hasnt been released yet and the quality of the release wil determine if there is more NA in the future. 

14 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Why would they invest more in NA? Because NA hasnt been released yet

How could they sell 300k copies of the game if it wasnt released yet? 

The game was on a steam sale for 50% off I believe and you hardly noticed any change in player numbers so I really doubt that the sales will skyrocket when they leave EA. I think most players who are interested in the game have already bought it and a finished NA would only bring a lot of the players who quit the game back to try it again. So yes state of the game matters for DLC sales but thats about it.

And even if you could make the game suddenly great (with huge investment), why would you when you can just sell it as NA2 to the same people again?

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

20 hours ago, Justme said:

NAL is dead, they should just go ahead and remove it's section from the forums. Any who believe otherwise are kidding themselves.

Heh, remember this in five years time when we already know what the shape of NA2 looks like. 

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Heh, remember this in five years time when we already know what the shape of NA2 looks like. 

NA2? That may be a bit optomistic to say the least.

I could see a Mediterranean setting being successful. But I doubt the devs were ever serious about NAL.

They need to delete the forum section on it.

18 hours ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

You forgot RNG crafting. That's what made me leave, anyway.

I didnt.

For me, rng on crafting is not game breaking.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:58 PM, Nelsons Barrel said:

#1 Lack of Players

#2 Lack of motivation to do RvR

#3 Lack of motivation to leave capital zones

#4 Lack of timeshortcuts to transports goods from A to B

#5 Lack of PvE-mission variety (e.g. story driven quests)

#6 Lack of duellrooms

#7 Lack of proper done economy (without artificial trading goods that only purpose is to get from a to b)

#8 Lack of a flagsystem instead of grindy hostility missions we have right now

#9 Lack of players per nation (5 nations would be more than enough)

#10 Lack of restrictions to use alt accounts, as they destroyed so many gamemechanics

YOU FORGOT SOMETHING 

Lack of patience by the players .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thonys said:

YOU FORGOT SOMETHING 

Lack of patience by the players .....

The players have been more than patient, what do you think they are, star citizen backers?