Game-Labs Forum

@adminIs it possible to implement open world wind system with currents? Currents would give travel boost.

GTMfbtf.jpg

Edited by Wind
  • Like 5

@Wind I'd be happy with just a variable wind and wave force system even if just using the current OW clock direction! Of course you'd set a minimum speed (force 2 maybe) so no one would be becalmed.  

• Like 2

I think wind shifts should be no more than maybe 30*-60* to either side of the starting point in the entire fight, and it should occur in very small incremental shifts over time. So basically, the wind slowly rotates a bit one way, maybe hold there for a while, then maybe move back some....never more than a few degrees per shift. This current system where wind goes crazy every 15 minutes is no good.

Regarding leeway...it was too strong at first...now its maybe too weak, but I can still tell its there. Not terribly long ago, I used it to drift downwind to loot an AI ship (the one time I managed to keep the AI from turning straight into the wind with no structure left LOL [why do they always like to do that???]). This is one of those cases where we have to balance gameplay with historical accuracy. Since we can't have our rudders turn a few degrees to auto-correct (as Admin mentioned in his post) our heading to account for leeway, I think its important that the leeway isn't "turned up" too strongly again. Make it slightly stronger. Only slightly, IMO.

• Like 1

Drifting away from the OP towards wind issue...

I do like @Wind currents systems image and @maturin windy link.  The OW time is what 20x Real Life near enough and BATTLE instance 5x. So, like @William Death suggests wind shift should be in small increments over time with no radical shifts.

Maybe predictable to some extent. Pick a variant either side of @Wind regional image with a +/- 60% swing. The wind direction slowly in OW moves in small changes one direction for a time then the other. When dropped into BATTLE that variant shrinks to +/- 20% of the last wind reading, but the direction change speeds up to reflect 5x RL speed.

OW Wind at Belize is North (from the image). The wind min/max variant 300’ to 060’. If dropped into BATTLE and the wind reading was at 030’ during the BATTLE it would swing between 010’ to 050’. Sort of idea...

The coding should be straight forward as you’ve pre-built wind directions for each map area (that’s the hard part), and the BATTLE drop in wind direction is already in place.

We’ve all had what @Le Raf Boom said getting the wind on someone for it to change violently ruining the chase unrealistically. However, I don’t want to go back to the old way using my excel Port Battle wind direction timer. This would still carry a surprise element.

If I’m reading correctly regarding Leeway, we’d need much stronger winds in order to go back to the old model and it would be unrealistic in real life? Can anybody recommend a good web link I could read up on this please?

Norfolk.

Correction 60% and 20% should read 60' & 20' degrees not percentage apologies

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wind said:

@adminIs it possible to implement open world wind system with currents? Currents would give travel boost.

GTMfbtf.jpg

all the new features (and old proposals like this) will be reviewed after we add 

• OW UI (coming very soon)
  • Port UI (coming june/july)
  • Rebalance and streamline economy ( coming very soon)
  • Localize the game into promised languages
    • German
    • French
    • Spanish
    • Russian
    • Japanese
    • Chinese
    • Korean
    • (text files will be moved out to a separate file so players can help localize into additional languages if needed)

Meanwhile
we will slightly increase leeway
and will reduce the intensity of wind changes

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, admin said:

we will slightly increase leeway
and will reduce the intensity of wind changes

Fantastic!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, admin said:

• (text files will be moved out to a separate file so players can help localize into additional languages if needed)

I really hope that can be done to flags as well if there are no other plans ofc.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

@Hethwill

Sorry smaller words and numbers for this idiot please.

150x Model scale / 75x speed? This gives 2 units of what?

Could you translate into Yorkshire for me please? How long is 1x NA-OW Day in Real Time roughly?

The BATTLE instance 1:5 is fairly spot on.... 1 is 1x unit of Real Life Time, 5 is the multiplier for NA-BATTLE correct?

Norfolk

@admin

This is Great stuff...

With the localized game language rollout why don’t you book a business trip to Hong Kong. Can see Macau and then pop over to Seoul South Korea, Japan is a little further away but all easily done within the week.

Just a thought

Norfolk.

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Hethwill

Sorry smaller words and numbers for this idiot please.

150x Model scale / 75x speed? This gives 2 units of what?

Could you translate into Yorkshire for me please? How long is 1x NA-OW Day in Real Time roughly?

The BATTLE instance 1:5 is fairly spot on.... 1 is 1x unit of Real Life Time, 5 is the multiplier for NA-BATTLE correct?

Norfolk

There is no magical number that converts in-game time to real-life time.

Everything is sped up or slowed down with balance, gameplay and realism in mind, with varying results.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, maturin said:

There is no magical number that converts in-game time to real-life time.

Everything is sped up or slowed down with balance, gameplay and realism in mind, with varying results.

this I completely accept. For some reason way back when I'd worked out ROUGHLY 20x OW and 5x BATTLE instance. 

It doesn't matter just dotting the "i" crossing the "t" so to speak