Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Juan Navarre

Why not have sailing in the OW?

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

 Don't get it wrong, naval action really offer a superb experience of the trill of being a captain of a sailship.

I think there are players who would like a game with less distractions and more content.   

NA feels like you are playing an e-sport game.  It's difficult to imagine the genuine age of sail experience.

- Speedboats rocketing  around at unworldly speeds,

- Spaceship style information HUD rather than old world instruments,

- Giant text floating above ports that can never be turned off,

- Teleportation in the 1700s ,

- No deck perspective.  The ship can only be controlled when you are nailed to the mast high above the deck.

- Combat is limited to a little toy boat perspective - a view from the captain's eyes is not an option.

- The tall ship hunt and chase of an old time era has been sanitized from the game to appease players who seek quick combat without waiting.

I can understand players like Killick who want a game that recreates the age of sail.  Where the priority is not as much on impatient fighting, but it is about an experience of standing on a wooden deck a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can have a deck perspective.  I quite enjoy bounding along in my Prince at deck level.  It even gives you a feeling that there is a horizon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

You can have a deck perspective.

How do you do that and control your ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

How do you do that and control your ship?

All the controls are the same.  The perspective gives you some challenges with regard to visibility.  Waves will block your view quite often and landmarks are tougher to pick out.  The invisible sails are still visible, so it's really like looking through gauze.  It's also a lot easier for an enemy to get close to you, so I would make a point of raising your perspective periodically for an "all round look".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I can only position myself on the deck with the camera view, and when I do I am unable to control the ship. 

I use the camera view to move along the deck and experience looking out at the wave top level.  I can also use the keys to climb the mast for a "all round look".

Wish it were possible to control the ship from on the deck ... But it is not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

 I can only position myself on the deck with the camera view, and when I do I am unable to control the ship. 

I use the camera view to move along the deck and experience looking out at the wave top level.  I can also use the keys to climb the mast for a "all round look".

Wish it were possible to control the ship from on the deck ... But it is not.

 

Right mouse button in combat takes you to the deck to aim your cannons. From there you can move around and you will be at deck level and still have control of your ship. Doesn't work for OW though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, Juan Navarre said:

Right mouse button in combat takes you to the deck to aim your cannons. From there you can move around and you will be at deck level and still have control of your ship.

Hmmm ... I must be missing  something in the 'aim' view.  I can right mouse click and lock myself in the center of the ship, on the deck, in an instance and I can look from side to side ... but I can't move around on the deck unless I am in camera view.   And if I look too far to the left or the right, when aiming,  the view jumps up above the deck again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, Macjimm said:

Hmmm ... I must be missing  something in the 'aim' view.  I can right mouse click and lock myself in the center of the ship, on the deck, in an instance and I can look from side to side ... but I can't move around on the deck unless I am in camera view.   And if I look too far to the left or the right, when aiming,  the view jumps up above the deck again.

Can't walk around the deck, but if you are zoomed all the way in with the scroll wheel, you can look around a full 360 left and right and stay on the deck in the center of the ship. That is how I usually do most of the battles, just turning from starboard aiming to bow chasers, to larboard, to stern chasers.

Unfortunately, if you press Ctrl+H, it won't seem to let you switch out chain, grape, charge, etc... So it is tricky to do the whole battle without the holographic HUD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not able to get a view from the deck unless I use the camera view, or the aiming view in a battle.    When I use the aiming view I can't turn all the way around: I can only have about 180 degrees view before it jumps up above the deck.

The game would be improved if the ship could be controlled in camera view both in an instance, and in the OW.  This shouldn't be too much of a hardship for PvPers as they don't have to use the camera view. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I'm not able to get a view from the deck unless I use the camera view, or the aiming view in a battle.    When I use the aiming view I can't turn all the way around: I can only have about 180 degrees view before it jumps up above the deck.

The game would be improved if the ship could be controlled in camera view both in an instance, and in the OW.  This shouldn't be too much of a hardship for PvPers as they don't have to use the camera view. 

 

 

Wierd. And you are zoomed in all the way with your scroll wheel?

I wonder if it has to do with which ship you are sailing. I seem to be able to stay on the deck in my Indefatigable. Might be because it goes right to the bow chasers or stern chasers.

Anyway, I agree that a first person view from the helm would be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×