Game-Labs Forum

Why not have sailing in the OW?

4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

How do you do that and control your ship?

All the controls are the same.  The perspective gives you some challenges with regard to visibility.  Waves will block your view quite often and landmarks are tougher to pick out.  The invisible sails are still visible, so it's really like looking through gauze.  It's also a lot easier for an enemy to get close to you, so I would make a point of raising your perspective periodically for an "all round look".

I can only position myself on the deck with the camera view, and when I do I am unable to control the ship. 

I use the camera view to move along the deck and experience looking out at the wave top level.  I can also use the keys to climb the mast for a "all round look".

Wish it were possible to control the ship from on the deck ... But it is not.

24 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

I can only position myself on the deck with the camera view, and when I do I am unable to control the ship. 

I use the camera view to move along the deck and experience looking out at the wave top level.  I can also use the keys to climb the mast for a "all round look".

Wish it were possible to control the ship from on the deck ... But it is not.

Right mouse button in combat takes you to the deck to aim your cannons. From there you can move around and you will be at deck level and still have control of your ship. Doesn't work for OW though.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, Juan Navarre said:

Right mouse button in combat takes you to the deck to aim your cannons. From there you can move around and you will be at deck level and still have control of your ship.

Hmmm ... I must be missing  something in the 'aim' view.  I can right mouse click and lock myself in the center of the ship, on the deck, in an instance and I can look from side to side ... but I can't move around on the deck unless I am in camera view.   And if I look too far to the left or the right, when aiming,  the view jumps up above the deck again.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, Macjimm said:

Hmmm ... I must be missing  something in the 'aim' view.  I can right mouse click and lock myself in the center of the ship, on the deck, in an instance and I can look from side to side ... but I can't move around on the deck unless I am in camera view.   And if I look too far to the left or the right, when aiming,  the view jumps up above the deck again.

Can't walk around the deck, but if you are zoomed all the way in with the scroll wheel, you can look around a full 360 left and right and stay on the deck in the center of the ship. That is how I usually do most of the battles, just turning from starboard aiming to bow chasers, to larboard, to stern chasers.

Unfortunately, if you press Ctrl+H, it won't seem to let you switch out chain, grape, charge, etc... So it is tricky to do the whole battle without the holographic HUD.

I'm not able to get a view from the deck unless I use the camera view, or the aiming view in a battle.    When I use the aiming view I can't turn all the way around: I can only have about 180 degrees view before it jumps up above the deck.

The game would be improved if the ship could be controlled in camera view both in an instance, and in the OW.  This shouldn't be too much of a hardship for PvPers as they don't have to use the camera view. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I'm not able to get a view from the deck unless I use the camera view, or the aiming view in a battle.    When I use the aiming view I can't turn all the way around: I can only have about 180 degrees view before it jumps up above the deck.

The game would be improved if the ship could be controlled in camera view both in an instance, and in the OW.  This shouldn't be too much of a hardship for PvPers as they don't have to use the camera view. 

Wierd. And you are zoomed in all the way with your scroll wheel?

I wonder if it has to do with which ship you are sailing. I seem to be able to stay on the deck in my Indefatigable. Might be because it goes right to the bow chasers or stern chasers.

Anyway, I agree that a first person view from the helm would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

It would also be more than wonderful if the view from the deck was available in battle AND it was possible to issue orders to the crew.  I would be over the moon if the crew would "fire at will" and I was free to watch the crew perform their duties.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like there is a solid basis of people who would like to have this – minor – modification of the camera positioning so that ships can be controlled from deck both in battle instance and OW. Would it be possible for @admin to briefly comment on this? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1