Game-Labs Forum

MY FIRST CAMPAIGN

contact

Have now started my first Campaign as CSA.

Won some. Lost some.

I did have a problem at 2nd Bull Run.

I could not see anyway to obtain a draw. Let alone a win !

My force just too small. Approximately 20,000.

I thought this did not seem right being forced to fight !

I am trying to progress without any tips. Trying to learn as I go along.

But being forced to fight, made me decide to check out the tips for new players.

So glad I did. Simples!  Don’t have to fight every battle, just retire from the field. Lose the battle but save my troops and back to Barrack’s to enlarge my force.

Great info from Tips for newcomers. Very much appreciated.

Has made my weekend.

Onwards and upwards !

But have to say again. UG’s ACW is superb 👌

• Like 1

Welcome mate, glad you enjoy the game. I too started a while ago with a CSA campaign and had around the same number of troops at 2nd Bull. The key is not to attack but deploy your entire force in the wooded area and let the Union attack you. And don't deploy men to the small skirmish prior to the 2nd Bull battle. If you manage to hold the victory point and the wooded area you are able to win. I must say i had some issues because my army was just way too small, i could not get it to a adequate number so i was defeated at Antietam and gave up and restarted. You should check out the videos of Lava and Col. Kelly, i learned a lot from those two.

Hi,

Thanks for that advice. I tried to defend the wooded area. But still no luck. I held on at first. Counting down till my reinforcements started to arrive. But they arrived on the map just as the area became “contested”. I had them running to me. But with what I had left, as soon as a unit routed I lost. Before my reinforcements arrived. I have ‘saved’ it. So hope to return to it and try my luck again.

Having retired from the battle to the Barracks I was pleased to see my troops intact. I was able to increase/strengthening them. I moved on and carried at the engagement at Chantilly. It proved to be reasonable easy to defend. I won it without having to ‘work’ to hard. So back in Barracks to increase my numbers. There is one more small engagement to fight. But looming after that is Antietam 😕. Will see how that goes !

But will check out the videos you mentioned. Thanks for that.

Appreciate your help.

Best wishes.

Edited by contact

4 hours ago, Mukremin said:

Welcome mate, glad you enjoy the game. I too started a while ago with a CSA campaign and had around the same number of troops at 2nd Bull. The key is not to attack but deploy your entire force in the wooded area and let the Union attack you. And don't deploy men to the small skirmish prior to the 2nd Bull battle. If you manage to hold the victory point and the wooded area you are able to win. I must say i had some issues because my army was just way too small, i could not get it to a adequate number so i was defeated at Antietam and gave up and restarted. You should check out the videos of Lava and Col. Kelly, i learned a lot from those two.

Been thinking.

I may have one more attempt at 2nd Bullrun.

Could really do with the troops a victory would give me 🤞

• Like 1

14 hours ago, contact said:

By OP I assume you mean the version 🤔

I’m on the latest. Playing on Apple iMac

Sorry, OP is standard internet parlance for Original Poster of a thread. Don't fret if you misunderstood. I didn't know what it meant for a while either, but now you know. :)

I was asking if you were playing on the easy, middle, hard or legendary level. I tend to run low on troops as Confeds after Stones River, playing on the middle difficulty level and playing for a victory every time myself. I might try some deliberate draws myself to preserve manpower, but some battles are so costly even to draw, might as well go for the victory. Haven't been able to bring myself to deliberately lose by preemptively abandoning the battlefield though.

Edited by Gray_Lensman

9 hours ago, Gray_Lensman said:

Sorry, OP is standard internet parlance for Original Poster of a thread. Don't fret if you misunderstood. I didn't know what it meant for a while either, but now you know. :)

I was asking if you were playing on the easy, middle, hard or legendary level. I tend to run low on troops as Confeds after Stones River, playing on the middle difficulty level and playing for a victory every time myself. I might try some deliberate draws myself to preserve manpower, but some battles are so costly even to draw, might as well go for the victory. Haven't been able to bring myself to deliberately lose by preemptively abandoning the battlefield though.

Hi,

Thanks for clarification. I’m playing on the middle level.

When I started I choose the middle option on every page.

By deliberately withdrawing from the battlefield at the very beginning, the game will finish once the enemy has achieved all the goals. Thus you will not lose your man power. Then back to Barrack’s with all your troops and able to increase your numbers. Rather than just replenishing them.

Best wishes

On 6/4/2018 at 4:51 PM, Mukremin said:

and? how did it go :D

** RESULT 2nd BULL RUN on CAMPAIGN **

I am happy to inform I have managed a draw. Though at first I thought I had obtained a victory.

On day one I didn’t get involved in the small evening skirsmish. I gathered my forces for the following day.

I immediately withdrew all my troops to Stony Ridge. Early I said I had 20,000 troops. Wrong ! I had 10,000 😳.

I had 3 brigades of cavalry. These were placed in reserve, on the edge of the woods behind Stoney Ridge.

3 brigades of artillery. Consisting of 25 guns. Plus all the infantry were carefully positioned on the ridge in cover.

I then waited.

The Union attack’s started and were relentless. At various times I was tempted to use my cavalry but resisted.

I did received around 3000 reinforcements late on coming from my right flank. They were held at bay by Union troops. At first it was disappointing till I realised just how many troops the Yankees were using. Taking away from their attack on Stoney Ridge.

With 0.12 on the time. It said the Ridge was contested. Then with 0.08 held by the Union. I now  sent the reserve cavalry plus every infantry unit that had retreated towards the contested ridge. No matter what their morale state or number. With 0.05 it stated Ridge was contested. At 0.03 it said held by CSA. I could only watch the clock. Finally it went to 0.00. Finally it finished with the CSA in control ! 

I was a tad smug. Thinking I had won 2nd Bull Run. Unaware there was a third day 😳😐.

Fresh orders came. “Now to counterattack and drive the Yankees out🤔. Really? 

I had received some reinforcements taking me back to just over 10,000 infantry. 2 brigades of cavalry and 10 cannon. Against me was 42,979 Union troops. Counter attack 🙄.

I sent all reinforcements to Stony Ridge. Leaving approx 3000 infantry 2 brigades of cavalry and 4 cannon to try a wide flaking manoeuvre and get around the Union right flank and take Henry Hill. This was one of the victory conditions. Along with still holding Stoney Ridge. The flanking was executed but I delayed attempting to take Henry Hill till late as possible so as to then have to hold it for only a short time.

I did continue to hold Stoney Ridge against the Yankees best efforts  and sneaked onto Henry Hill.

Time was up. I had obtained the objectives. But had failed to “Inflict at least 5% more casualties than enemy”. Not surprising considering I was out numbered 4-1.

So a draw it is. But with $122,000 to use. Also, very pleased only 1 officer killed and 1 wounded. All others promoted. I do feel aggrieved at only getting a single point to add to my reputation !

But onwards and upwards. 

Back to barracks !

Edited by contact
Changed
  • Like 1

Bull Run 2 is relatively easy to win, even on the middle level, but you have to have 2 reasonably sized corps. (each at least 15 Brigades of 2000 men or 20 Brigades of 1500 men substituting a few of the infantry brigades with artillery for the Stony Ridge (Jackson's) Corp, using them for cannister defense of the VP  mostly, in fact I micro set them to hold fire until the enemy is in cannister range to conserve ammo. When the enemy falls back I again set them to Hold Fire, but load cannister, that way they are ready for the next attack/charge.

One of the Corps (my main fighting corps for Stony Ridge defense,) the other for the reinforcement/counter-attack can be made up of relatively newer brigades since they'll be entering fresh against worn down Union brigades. In fact, if done right, you can roll up the Union left and just about annihilate the Union Army and easily take Henry Hill, but even without taking Henry Hill, inflicting 20% more casualties than the enemy should be attainable with 2 corps.

I usually have my strongest corp holding Stony Ridge with most of it holding the northern and center area around the Victory Point. Assuming 15 or more brigades, (usually 20 for me), it usually only takes about 3 brigades to hold the southern part of Stony Ridge (south of the VP), using Skirmishers to fill in the gap, but you have to keep an eye on it in case the Union Strategy does a "change-up" and tries to go around it to the South. If so, you have to be pro-active and engage with skirmishers until you can re-position some center/northern brigades to accomodate the change-up, until reinforcements/counterattack.

Unlike Antietam, (which might be considered for leaving the battlefield), this is one of those battles that you WANT to take advantage of to whittle down the Union Army size for future battles, even if you take some extra casualties. It's not ALL about just keeping your Army big, but also keeping the overall Union Army whittled down in size as well as Union Army training levels for future engagements.

BTW, (and a little off-topic) I've been to the BULL RUN 2 railroad cut where Jackson's corps stood. It's now overgrown with trees but still shows the remnants of the railroad cut embankments. Had to use my Garmin manually to find it, but it was pretty cool to find this unmarked obscure area of the battlefield. I suggest anyone touring Civil War battlefield areas to be sure to take a battery operated Garmin or equivalent that lets you manually plot destination points that you plot out ahead of time. (I do this by comparing geographic things like bends in rivers to old Civil War battle maps to approximate the locations. Be prepared for modern landscape changes in some areas, but rivers generally are not altered.

Edited by Gray_Lensman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gray_Lensman said:

Bull Run 2 is relatively easy to win, even on the middle level, but you have to have 2 reasonably sized corps. (each at least 15 Brigades of 2000 men or 20 Brigades of 1500 men).One for Stony Ridge defense, the other for the reinforcement/counter-attack. In fact, if done right, you can roll up the Union left and just about annihilate the Union Army and easily take Henry Hill, but even without taking Henry Hill, inflicting 20% more casualties than the enemy should be attainable with 2 FULL corps.

I usually have my strongest corp holding Stony Ridge with most of it holding the northern and center area around the Victory Point. Assuming 15 or more brigades, (usually 20 for me), it usually only takes about 3 brigades to hold the southern part of Stony Ridge (south of the VP), using Skirmishers to fill in the gap, but you have to keep an eye on it in case the Union Strategy does a "change-up" and tries to go around it. If so, you have to be pro-active and engage with skirmishers until you can re-position some center/northern brigades to accomodate the change-up, until reinforcements/counterattack.

Unlike Antietam, (which might be considered for leaving the battlefield), this is one of those battles that you WANT to take advantage of to whittle down the Union Army size for future battles, even if you take some extra casualties. It's not ALL about just keeping your Army big, but also keeping the overall Union Army whittled down in size as well as training level for future engagements.

BTW, (and a little off-topic) I've been to the BULL RUN 2 railroad cut where Jackson's corps stood. It's now overgrown with trees but still shows the remnants of the railroad cut embankments. Had to use my Garmin manually to find it, but it was pretty cool to find this unmarked obscure area of the battlefield. I suggest anyone touring Civil War battlefield areas to be sure to take a battery operated Garmin or equivalent that lets you manually plot destination points that you plot out ahead of time. (I do this by comparing geographic things like bends in rivers to old Civil War battle maps to approximate the locations. Be prepared for modern landscape changes in some areas, but rivers generally are not altered.

Hiya,

Must admit when I was playing it. I felt that if only I had a slightly larger force. Then I could win it. Alas with the troops I had I don’t believe it was possible.

I know when I played it as a stand-alone battle I was successful.

Even with the small number of troops I had at my desposil the Union troops took heavy casualties !

No doubt at some point I will have to start the campaign afresh.

But I’m really enjoying it. Learning as I go along. I know I am making some wrong decisions. All part of the learning curve.

I realise there is a wealth of knowledge available on here to help players. But first I want to see how much I can achieve on my own.

I have taken on board the tactic of retiring from the field of battle. This would have been very useful earlier on in the campaign. I would now be in a stronger position than I am. But for me all part of the enjoyment.

However, funny you suggesting not fighting Antietam. I am already thinking of that. I can take the loss of career points and still “be in the game”. Something for me to ponder over.

After a battle I often ponder where I went wrong and what I should have done. I hope and think this helps me become a better player.

I am new to UG. But I’m a seasoned war gamer. Having started with model soldiers. Fighting various periods in history.

Interesting to hear you have been there. It’s something I would like to do. Does sound interesting.

All the best

Edited by contact
  • Like 1

Antietam is one of those "maybe" battles. If you are in good condition, going in you can inflict massive casualties on the Union Army, but it will cost you also. It depends on your play skill and level you are playing at as to whether or not you want to fight it. I never bother to fight the opening small battle to the north of Dunker Church. It has no value for Victory and only weakens your Dunker Church defense forces.

You can learn a lot by observing some YouTube videos.

HistoryGuy has an excellent series, though it's in Legendary Mode, his techniques are what you want to observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddclK7uyj8&list=PLgYUpdX_kl3cral1uxYj8n6B7VfK3joGL

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, since he was playing in legendary mode, he tried, but ultimately abandoned Antietam. taking the loss hit, but he just couldn't manage ANY victory at that legendary level so the loss hit was less just abandoning the battle than fighting it out and taking the battlefield losses.

Edited by Gray_Lensman

12 hours ago, Gray_Lensman said:

Antietam is one of those "maybe" battles. If you are in good condition, going in you can inflict massive casualties on the Union Army, but it will cost you also. It depends on your play skill and level you are playing at as to whether or not you want to fight it. I never bother to fight the opening small battle to the north of Dunker Church. It has no value for Victory and only weakens your Dunker Church defense forces.

You can learn a lot by observing some YouTube videos.

HistoryGuy has an excellent series, though it's in Legendary Mode, his techniques are what you want to observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddclK7uyj8&list=PLgYUpdX_kl3cral1uxYj8n6B7VfK3joGL

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, since he was playing in legendary mode, he tried, but ultimately abandoned Antietam. taking the loss hit, but he just couldn't manage ANY victory at that legendary level so the loss hit was less just abandoning the battle than fighting it out and taking the battlefield losses.

Thanks for the above tips. Will definitely take them on board

Cheers.

6 hours ago, contact said:

had 3 brigades. One had 5 guns. The other two both had 10.

Without spoiling to much, make sure to pay attention to your units performance as you as you progress further and increase their size. There are some hidden mechanics to discover.

If winning Antietam seems out of reach, the other tactic you can try is a fighting retreat to inflict losses while still ultimately leaving the battlefield before the majority of reinforcements arrive and you take to much damage. This can be hard to execute correctly though as there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong. 

18 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Without spoiling to much, make sure to pay attention to your units performance as you as you progress further and increase their size. There are some hidden mechanics to discover.

If winning Antietam seems out of reach, the other tactic you can try is a fighting retreat to inflict losses while still ultimately leaving the battlefield before the majority of reinforcements arrive and you take to much damage. This can be hard to execute correctly though as there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong. 

Hi,

Many thanks. I will pay careful attention. 

Will give some thought to my next move.

Bestt wishes

Re Antietam 

After weighting up the pros and cons. I decided to withdraw from the field. Thus saving my troops.

In so doing, I only lost a few troops. 1 officer was wounded. But 4 were promoted. No doubt due to their skilled withdrawal 😉.

I’m looking forward to the next step. But I need to up my game !

But all very enjoyable 👌.