Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hugh Latham

ships falling from the sky

How hard can it be to enter new combatants a reasonable distance from play long after a battle has been going on?? I was trapped by a ship landing within cannon shot directly in my path of escape. It really takes the fun out of combat if one has to be worried about ships falling from the sky!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hugh Latham said:

How hard can it be to enter new combatants a reasonable distance from play long after a battle has been going on?? I was trapped by a ship landing within cannon shot directly in my path of escape. It really takes the fun out of combat if one has to be worried about ships falling from the sky!

There's a skill to entering the battle in just the right place.

34 minutes ago, seanjo said:

There's a skill to entering the battle in just the right place.

Its debatable whether it involves "skill" However, If the developers added romulan cloaking that might involve skill too, but it would still be ridiculous. Ships warping into position a few hundred meters from each other, cannons instantly blazing does not match the high standards of realism present in the rest of the game, even if it involves skill.

Edited by Capt Aerobane
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Capt Aerobane said:

Its debatable whether it involves "skill" However, If the developers added romulan cloaking that might involve skill too, but it would still be ridiculous. Ships warping into position a few hundred meters from each other, cannons instantly blazing does not match the high standards of realism present in the rest of the game, even if it involves skill.

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I jumped into a battle that was ongoing.  I landed right beside an enemy player and pounded a broadside into him.  While it is fun to watch his armour evaporate as all my shots strike, it kinda sucks on the realism side of things.  My enemy in this case had no warning that I was going to beam down beside him.  Had I spawned at a realistic distance, he would have been able to modify his tactics or even extend and attempt escape.  Still....it was a perfect broadside....

Edited by Oberon74

The same occurs joining active mission battles against AI.  I joined a hostility battle already in progress and was boarded by an AI before I could even raise sails...  fortunately I successful disengaged.

This is exactly why the "big 2 circle" insta-close was the best tagging mechanic the game had so far...  what you see is what you get....

Reduced ganks as well...  probably why it was removed.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

This is exactly why the "big 2 circle" insta-close was the best tagging mechanic the game had so far...  what you see is what you get....

I agree here. It was the best

13 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Suggest to bring it back then?

What we haven't tested yet is an idea, older than reinforcement zones.

The idea would be that battles stay open all the time, but the later you join into a battle, the further away you spawn into it. Of course balancing wise you can adjust the distances.

So basically it promotes an active going out to OW than to have a coastguard waiting in port untill somebody cries in nation chat he got attacked 20 mins ago and is still barely alive. And promotes using faster smaller ships than big fat first rates to secure your waters.