Game-Labs Forum
Carlos_Condell

Determined Defender Magic Perk

50 minutes ago, Batman said:

DD might be stupid, but intentionally ramming ships and pushing them into the wind is even more stupid and unrealistic, so I rather have DD than 5 ships ramming me.

So 5 ships attacking you, and you expect them not to board you ?

And I do agree, crashing into another ship with high speed is stupid. If you are in small ship hitting a big ship with 10 knots, it should cripple your ship, badly with rig and also hull damage and the big ship would suffer less. 

may be there should be a grappling phase which also prevents the insta-boarding. So both ships need to be sailing less than 3.5 knots for 25 seconds, and determined defender extends this time ? Like there  a circle gets filled to represent grappling phase, determined defender has a chance to interrupt or extends the timer.

2 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

And I do agree, crashing into another ship with high speed is stupid. If you are in small ship hitting a big ship with 10 knots, it should cripple your ship, badly with rig and also hull damage and the big ship would suffer less. 

may be there should be a grappling phase which also prevents the insta-boarding. So both ships need to be sailing less than 3.5 knots for 25 seconds, and determined defender extends this time ? Like there  a circle gets filled to represent grappling phase, determined defender has a chance to interrupt or extends the timer.

Hit something at speed and the sudden deceleration should demast you.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

DD might be stupid, but intentionally ramming ships and pushing them into the wind is even more stupid and unrealistic, so I rather have DD than 5 ships ramming me.

This.

13 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

And this is also stupid as it would encourage bigger ships to ram small ones resulting in RAM damage triremes.

well a determent defender in this game is a  denial of boarding 

and that is not correct ....

it should be : harder to board but not a complete denial

a net prevent you to board a ship ,but in the end the ship will be boarded>>>  it delays<<  but its not a complete denial otherwise every ship today would have a net  ...and that s not the case

• Like 3

Just now, Thonys said:

well a determent defender in this game is a  denial of boarding 

and that is not correct ....

it should be : harder to board but not a complete denial

a net prevent you to board a ship ,but in the end the ship will be boarded>>>  it delays<<  but its not a complete denial otherwise every ship today would have a net  ...and that s not the case

No it should be renamed lead in your face, that's what you would get when boarding a taller ship.

1 minute ago, Le Raf Boom said:

No it should be renamed lead in your face, that's what you would get when boarding a taller ship.

Let's not open a pandora box :). That's a brig takeover a 38 gun frigate. But hey, it is possible to do in game.

In truth battles last 90 minutes and that gives time for the engagement to get fully resolved.

the-russian-cutter-mercury-captures-the-

• Like 2

What are you showing here? A ship that's already been damaged in combat with other ships. Apparently we should have oars now too according to the picture.

As a counter argument - here is a ship that could not be boarded despite being demasted, surrounded and badly damaged.

c827d79dff90fadad81f16af38930247.jpg

Edited by Le Raf Boom
  • Like 1

Boarding was being abused though, A boarding action was being initiated with no chance of success, but to hold the bigger ship in place while friends graped it down. So it was used simply to lock a ship down. Determined defender simply says your crew would be beaten back by  the bigger crew on the bigger ship before it made it over the side.. I would like to see it taken further, pulling a ship should incure casualties on both sides in proportion to crew size and preparation, If you try and rage aboard a ship with determined defender it should cost you a lot of crew to pull it.

Edited by Fletch67
  • Like 3

Raf, just showing that reality is way more complex than our NA complex combat :)

Cannot simply say - no smaller ship ever boarded a bigger one, it would be shot to pieces.

~S~

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

What are you showing here? A ship that's already been damaged in combat with other ships. Apparently we should have oars now too according to the picture.

As a counter argument - here is a ship that could not be boarded despite being demasted, surrounded and badly damaged.

c827d79dff90fadad81f16af38930247.jpg

Also

put up a net without masts >>>very interesting thought 

determent defender (active)when the masts are down is wrong

(if we speak about a net)

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

Another discussion, another split in the player base, another 50-100 players lost when a drastic change is made.

Carry on.

Seems like things go from one extreme to the other whatever the change,  and as usual in life the truth is often somewhere in the middle.

Admin said somewhere 120k copies sold,  and we have maybe 500 at peak players at wk-end.  Maybe devs should do what they want and stop listening to one extreme or the other.

Edited by Dibbler

Ship physics would have to be changed, boarding from the side only. I mean, this whole business of pushing someone into the wind and the velcro effect these ships display is just not conducive to good game play, in my opinion. This whole thing needs to be looked at.

boarding from the side only.

Why ? 

( would love ships relative positions being taken into the boarding system )

• Like 2

Determent defender works very well imo. The recrew option is very limited now, and has a long cooldown. So only reason you can't board players with determent defender in 1,5 hour, is either because you don't have a advantage or your not aggressive enough.

I know you guys, you just want it to be fast and easy again! Shot some sails, push against the wind and then chain board the player while your mates rake.. There is no skill involved in this, it's just a gank.

7 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Was there not a thread that went through this all just the other day!!!!

Problem is devs are stuck between extreme views each time, maybe time to totally ignore players and do as they want.  There is no player concensus on anything just extremes from either side of discussions shouting loudly and ones who are best connected get their way. The silent majority just see massive swings in play and eventually can't be bothered and playerbase declines over and over.

Devs i think just need to do what they want and ignore forum tbh.

Edited by Dibbler

11 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Raf, just showing that reality is way more complex than our NA complex combat :)

Cannot simply say - no smaller ship ever boarded a bigger one, it would be shot to pieces.

~S~

yes i agree

like sailing in full sail and firing your guns , instead of battle sail

did they used cold gunpowder or something ?

when firing a gun it will set you on fire when doing full sail attack specially if the wind is against your ship

we don't see it in this game......

its not that historical also ,>>when firing guns it should be done in battle sails (period)

if not>  and you go full sail you have a 50% chance of burning sails (what will slow you down >damaged sails) 

in this game when sailing in full sail there is no fire to the sails probability at all ..

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

Why ? 

( would love ships relative positions being taken into the boarding system )

Because, as far as I know, that gives you the widest area to attack from and the ability to attach to the enemy ship. If you attack from the front/back the defender can defend with a much smaller number of men...

I know that. But you know what ? Side to side is  a 50/50 affair as documented in the manuals. So maybe, just maybe there's different ways... just saying.

You posted " boarding from the side only"...

...only...

...only..

...only...

*sigh*

This is a game, we should be honest. "I want this because it fits me and sticks a harpoon up my opponents stern" is unwanted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I know that.

You posted " boarding from the side only"...

...only...

...only..

...only...

*sigh*

This is a game, we should be honest. "I want this because it fits me and sticks a harpoon up my opponents stern" is unwanted.

Mmmm...there are ships, i don't see a whale ..

and when a harpoon is used you will be boarded for sure..

• Like 1

Because, as far as I know, that gives you the widest area to attack from and the ability to attach to the enemy ship. If you attack from the front/back the defender can defend with a much smaller number of men...

Please make a suggestion out of that. Imo it makes perfect sense and would place some and much needed depth into boarding. So if you end up boarding a enemy from a bad angle, that could cripple the attackers advantage (counter boarding mods). I love it!  

• Like 1

Just now, Tiedemann said:

Please make a suggestion out of that. Imo it makes perfect sense and would place some and much needed depth into boarding. So if you end up boarding a enemy from a bad angle, that could cripple the attackers advantage (counter boarding mods). I love it!  

Yep, one of the oldest boarding requests :)