Game-Labs Forum

To present a valid option to a sect of the playerbase than loves the game for the duel ( mainly frigates, master and commander style :) I suggest the inclusion of a Duellist Perk.

- costs 10 points

- enables 1v1 always, automatic closes battle ( no countdown, immediate start on tag ) in the following conditions:

1. player is tagged
  2. player is not tagger
  3. both ships are same navy rate eg. 5th rates 

- player cannot be tagged by different rated ships 

- Duellists can see each other's info ( small flag UI for example, or added text in info box ) and can attack each other to a 1v1

- Patrol Zone combat - 90 minutes, no escape.

- no ship capture. Only sinking for Battle Over.

- warships only. Trader models not affected.

Pros:

- duels !

Cons:

- Spies in frigates

• Like 2

What happens to fleetships?

Will there be an info for the attacker like "Nation XY - Enemy player - duellist RoE"?

What happens in special RoE zones like capital / carezone or patrol zone what RoE has prio?

Edited by z4ys

1v1, similar to patrol zone roe as fleet ships are not dragged in.

no info other than the normal Clerk announcement.

in a sense they shouldn't even have anything to make them stand out. If they get tagged, well, a 1v1 of equal rates happens.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

1v1, similar to patrol zone roe as fleet ships are not dragged in.

no info other than the normal Clerk announcement.

so actually everyone would wait to get attacked because you will not know what kind of battle you will get otherwise.

Edited by z4ys

Just now, z4ys said:

And what happens when non duellist attacks duellist? Will he see that he attacks a duellist before the battle starts? 

Nothing. Gets surprised and sucked into a 1v1 with a same rate ship.

Not different from a OW ambush with a bait ship and suddenly getting ganked.

But I understand majority people might avoid attacking each other al'together due to 1v1 ?! dunno...

Would be a lot easier to have a duel room where people can duel to their hearts content rather than an OW RoE for duels that people will find a way to exploit. For example about to get tagged by a group so you jump into a duel with a friend so battle instantly closes and on exit you get the escape buffs.

Edited by Archaos

Just now, Oberon74 said:

To be clear...you have the Duellist perk and you tag someone in OW.  They do not have a Duellist perk.  Battle begins and closes immediately, therefor they cannot be reinforced?

Duellist cannot "duel tag" someone else except other duellist.

Just now, Archaos said:

Would be a lot easier to have a duel room where people can duel to their hearts content rather than an OW RoE for duels that people will find a way to exploit. For example about to get tagged by a group so you jump into a duel with a friend so battle instantly closes and on exit you get the escape buffs.

No. I'd say Patrol Zone method. Two go in, 1 comes out.

Is that acceptable ?

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

No. I'd say Patrol Zone method. Two go in, 1 comes out.

Is that acceptable ?

I think you missed my point. Is it open to abuse for example to escape being tagged by a larger group you go hunting with a friend in a similar ship and if a group tries to get you, you start a duel with your friend and thus escape the group tag. Bringing more complex and varied RoE into OW can at times just lead to confusion and exploits.

Or are you saying that with the duelist tag you can only participate in duels?

Edited by Archaos

I get your point Archaos and it is entirely fair.

You and your buddy will have to wait 90 minutes inside the duel instance or othey have to kill each other to end it faster, if it is equal to Patrol Zone combat rules.

Just now, Oberon74 said:

Or no Duelling with same nation

Hunting squadrons do it often with friends from other nations already, as a insurance policy.

Was, in one case, once dragged into that situation without notice. Felt dirty as f.... in all honesty.

• Like 1

Just now, Abram Svensson said:

What if the duelist tags the member of a group, who doesnt want to get into combat?

When a duelist in a 1st rate tags a 1st rate of an attacking PB fleet, does the combat start?

Duellist perk ensures the player cannot drag anyone not a duellist into 1v1. He must be tagged for that to happen. It is written in the opening post.

• Like 1

So what you are saying is the people with duelist tag can only duel and not do anything else. If that is the case then it sounds just as carebearish than people asking to be able to fight AI unmolested. You may as well allow a perk that allows you only to attack AI and be immune from attacks from other players in OW.

Just now, Archaos said:

So what you are saying is the people with duelist tag can only duel and not do anything else.

No. They can still engage in any activity. They can attack anyone same as everyone, join battles, go to PBs, etc.

Just now, Archaos said:

Then it can be exploited.

Everything can, as plenty of players prove it in a monthly flavour basis.

In that case they are the same as every player, just without any other perk except the duellist one, which costs all the points :) 

I will adjust the suggestion as situations arise, invaluable insight on exploiting the game mechanics which seems to be a valid main concern.

I know a Duel Room is easier, but personally I like the - 2 go in, 1 comes out.

2 hours ago, Aster said:

orrrrr, they could just add a "Invite to Duel option/ Duel room in port"

I much would prefer this in my honest opinion.

so if a person has the duelist perk....they cannot be tagged by anyone except for those who also have a duelist tag and those who are in the same rated ship as them? and a duelist cannot tag anyone except for those who have a duelist perk?

The frustration I foresee here is that players see an enemy, tag him, and if they aren't in the same ship it fails...to which a player gets mad. I feel it would cause more confusion, it would cause more irritation about limiting some OW PvP for those who aren't "duelists," and it would also cause more frustration for folks who may be in the same rated ship...but expect reinforcements, whether it's because they perceive themselves as not being skilled enough, or that they enjoy group play more than solo.

whatever the case, I see why you propose this, and it is interesting that it would take all 10 points for perks....I suppose the duelist is at a disadvantage sort of? I can't help but feel a Duel room would just be better....sure it would take pvp out of the OW but I personally feel those that liked the duel room aren't playing at this time, or don't enjoy ow pvp at this time. I won't say a dueling room will increase the population, but rather I don't think it would increase or decrease ow pvp as we have it currently.

• Like 1