Game-Labs Forum
Louis Garneray

game not starting...

I'm using my laptop (I'm on vacation). I was able to get in the game until Thursday but then I had a major update for windows 10 and since that I am unable to get the game to start. The only thing I see is the icon appearing on the bottom bar and then nothing else happen.

I tried to use compatibility with windows 8 or 7 and didn't get any change. I also tried to uninstall the game and re-install it and it didn't do anything. Any suggestion will be very welcomed.

Check in the laptops Power Settings when playing the game it is set to "High Performance" and not "Power Saver" or "Balanced"

1. Right Click Windows symbol on the START menu.
2. Second from the top menu [Power Options] left click
3. Power & Sleep screen, right side left click [Additional power settings]
4. Choose High Performance, then click [Change plan settings] on the right-hand side

N.

Thanks for your suggestion... I checked and that's what I already have.

I'm 100% sure it has to do with the windows update.

46 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

I'm using my laptop (I'm on vacation). I was able to get in the game until Thursday but then I had a major update for windows 10 and since that I am unable to get the game to start. The only thing I see is the icon appearing on the bottom bar and then nothing else happen.

I have exactly the same problem: update Windows, go off home and no game...

The rest is working OK, utube and Rise of Flight for example. But when I launch NA, I can go to the button START, but when I click on, the game does not launch, I stay onthe same screen. Just, a small black circle appears on the bottom left corner of the screen.

@Norfolk nChance, I checked that the computer was set on high perf. It was...

Edited by Eleazar de Damas

OK Guys,

I noticed this last Win10 update it was trying to control YouTube notices and other social media things... Google Creep.... all sorts of stuff

nVidia...

nVidia also had a driver Update on Thursday. So, sometimes it doesn’t always gel. If you are using GE Force Experience just check the driver installed is Version 397.64

Win10...

Next in win10 go to the settings page [Windows symbol, left click the cog wheel above the on/off button].

Update & Security [Left click]

First check it says “You’re Up to date”

Second left click “View update history”

Just see if anything says “Failed to Update” Normally this will be the Windows Defender

Check if any of the iCores are PARKED...

Laptops sometimes have two or three of the iCores in your system parked. Now Win10 is so large compared to the previous OS the system it may need extra puff.

Right Click Windows symbol then second section [Task Manager] click. Bottom on the window make sure you see arrow in a circle pointing upwards with “Fewer Details”. Then click performance tab.

At the bottom of the window click “Open Resource Monitor”, then tab “CPU”. On the right side you will see all the iCores on the systems. CPU 0,1,2,3... CPU 7 (iCore7 etc). Check they all have 100% on the right of each graph and NOT “PARKED”.

If all good then open STEAM...

Top left STEAM > Settings > Downloads > then left click “CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE”

You will be logged out and need to relog back into STEAM.

That’s all I got at the moment for you to try. Let me know how you get on...

Norfolk.

• Like 1

Im playing on a laptop (ASUS) with win10 and nvidia GPU  (950m).

Running with last version of drivers and windows updates. Windows defender is on (firewall) and using avast antivirus.

If I can help, just ask me.

Edited by Intrepido

@Louis Garneray I had the same problem for a different game (pubg) and I also thought it was because of the Windows update.

But there was a Nvidia update almost at the same time which was the problem for me.

If you hva a nvidia card try this tool for a clean uninstall: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and install an older driver from the Nvidia homepage..

• Like 1

The laptop took all the upgrades without failure.

The video card is up to date.  It's an older one gt540M, which was working with NA until Thursday with lower graphic quality. I have not updated the card driver between Thursday and today. It's latest version is from

Version:391.35  WHQL

Release Date:2018.3.27 http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132841/en-us

The only change was windows10 pro upgraded to the latest version (cursing myself now).

I did what Norfolk and Ink suggested and it's still in the same state.

Others games do open  without any problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

The video card is up to date.  It's an older one gt540M, which was working with NA until Thursday with lower graphic quality. I have not updated the card driver between Thursday and today. It's latest version is from

Release Date:2018.3.27 http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132841/en-us

The only change was windows10 pro upgraded to the latest version (cursing myself now).

Have you tried rolling back the upgrade? May only be a temporary workround but at least you may be able to play. If nothing else at least you will know if it is a windows upgrade problem.

This is why I fear giving up on windows 7... I never have any issues with any games. I dread the day I am forced to upgrade....  

11 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

Please check the workaround with NA registry clearance. Also could you please clarify that screen resolution was not changed after the update?

That's one of the first thing I did after encountering the problem and nothing changed after clearing the NA registry. The screen resolution is still the same also. 1366*768 on that poor laptop.

mess with your resolution while the game is running.  change it to something else and then hit revert.  

roll back the windows update.  I know win10 had an issue with it over the past week

do the verify game integrity thing 

get DDU and wipe you GPU drivers and completely reinstall
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I have done so far every thing that was recommended beside rolling back the update.

I'll try to do that one only as a last recourse... which may well be very soon today.

Edited by Louis Garneray

I just tried to run Ultimate General civil war... and I got the following error (if that can help)

Switching to resolution 1366x0 failed, trying lower one
All resolution switches have failed
Screen: could not switch resolution (1366x768 fs=1 hz=0)

6 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

I just tried to run Ultimate General civil war... and I got the following error (if that can help)

All resolution switches have failed
Screen: could not switch resolution (1366x768 fs=1 hz=0)

If you right click on your desktop, do you see the Nvidia control panel?