Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
koltes

Pirate Dens around the map

Recommended Posts

Hi all,
Its been a while lol

Question-suggestion Re: hunting. 
Understand capital zones are now not possible to hunt due to safe zones or whatever they are called.

I have a suggestion to give some loving to pirates (long due, no?) give us pirate dens or hideouts all around the map. Lots of them (20-30 maybe).

Can't build ships there. No shop, nothing. All we need is a warehouse and space to store ships. That's it.

I see pirates have become what you always wanted - they are not an organized force anymore (like it was with BLACK on Global) and do not invest time or resources into conquest.

So why not remove pirates ability to capture ports altogether and instead give us the hideouts that can only be entered by pirates. This will allow us to be just pirates and hunt.

It just makes no sense when I'm hunting and there is no free ports to store my supplies. In normal pirate's life I would just anchor anywhere even on Jamaica's coast and make a hideout myself or make a stash. Who cold stop me?

This simple "mechanic" also has other benefits too:

Pirate nation WILL become unique as the whole purpose will be to hunt and be hunted.
It removes pirates need to own SOLs. They can still have them, but they can't use it in conquest, because there is no conquest there for them.

Your thoughts?

P.S. is it just me or Global chat have become less toxic? :P 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh my, he's back.

 

I agree, pirates should have little hideouts similar to the secret island. I suppose one could argue that the current free towns are those hide outs, but pirates should be a more unique faction to encourage a privateer lifestyle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

oh my, he's back.

 

I agree, pirates should have little hideouts similar to the secret island. I suppose one could argue that the current free towns are those hide outs, but pirates should be a more unique faction to encourage a privateer lifestyle.

Didnt say im back :P

Just checking on you ya know :D

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to @admin and he can correct me as I'm not going to dig for the post where he made the comment.  Pirates might get some love after release, but until than there are more important things to work on.   So maybe some day they will take all the great ideals and some stupid ones we have posted and come up with something for the pirates.

 

Oh and Pirates are in RvR, the EU pirates have took some ports down south.  It just seems there is zero US prime time pirates in the game other than a few souls @Privateer and a few others.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, koltes said:

Didnt say im back :P

Just checking on you ya know :D

 

 

That's right. When @Duncan McFail

says his ALTs are Back they'll be back.... nice to see you fella o7

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, koltes said:

P.S. is it just me or Global chat have become less toxic? :P 

Nice to see you around again, and nope you must of logged on in an off period 😂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, koltes said:

Hi all,
Its been a while lol

Question-suggestion Re: hunting. 
Understand capital zones are now not possible to hunt due to safe zones or whatever they are called.

I have a suggestion to give some loving to pirates (long due, no?) give us pirate dens or hideouts all around the map. Lots of them (20-30 maybe).

Can't build ships there. No shop, nothing. All we need is a warehouse and space to store ships. That's it.

I see pirates have become what you always wanted - they are not an organized force anymore (like it was with BLACK on Global) and do not invest time or resources into conquest.

So why not remove pirates ability to capture ports altogether and instead give us the hideouts that can only be entered by pirates. This will allow us to be just pirates and hunt.

It just makes no sense when I'm hunting and there is no free ports to store my supplies. In normal pirate's life I would just anchor anywhere even on Jamaica's coast and make a hideout myself or make a stash. Who cold stop me?

This simple "mechanic" also has other benefits too:

Pirate nation WILL become unique as the whole purpose will be to hunt and be hunted.
It removes pirates need to own SOLs. They can still have them, but they can't use it in conquest, because there is no conquest there for them.

Your thoughts?

P.S. is it just me or Global chat have become less toxic? :P 

 

Capitals are attacked all of the time, even with safe zones.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seanjo said:

Capitals are attacked all of the time, even with safe zones.

 

Out of lack of better option, not because anything worth while actually awaits inside the zone. That's how it's always been.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, koltes said:

Didnt say im back :P

Just checking on you ya know :D

 

and here I was hoping for a little new breath of life :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That feature would also be one of good reasons to add exploring and exploration ships to the game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, Hellmuth von Mücke said:

many questions left...

a) maintenance?
No, as these hideouts provide no shipyard or buildings. Merely a hideout, that after UI has been completed could be visually presented as a cave or a tiny hidden harbor.

b) the base are vulnerable?
No. It should be "invisible" to the nation players and like an enemy port no ability to enter. No reason for a smuggler to enter anyway as there will be no shop. Cant trade. All it is a warehouse.

c) establish a den cost money?
This could cost some money to establish. Something like a first upgrade of a warehouse, same sort of money.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree !

However,

* Pirates are hardcore, you have to start in other nations, after some point starting from M&C, you can choose to become pirate. You loose your progress ! , you are given set amount of money and some resources according to your rank, and a ship of your choice, a 6th rate :)

* Pirates at maximum level should have around 500 crew at max. So, they can only command a 4th rate efficiently, yes they can undercrew big ships. They can only build up to 6th rate. They have to capture or buy, bigger ships.

* Pirates can not capture any port, but they can own it for1-3 days, loot it.

* They should have dens around, if other nations sail just very close like hitting the coast, "the hideout" can be discovered. So it can be attacked. If enemy player is not there to defend, his max. number of 2 ships AI controlled defends the hideout. The hideout revealed for 1 hour, it can be attacked at that period, after that it is invisible again need to be evacuated in set amount of time, 1day ? If it is not evacuated, it is destroyed, some loot remaining for anyone to loot, or it is destroyed by players, it can be looted.

* Pirates already can access freetowns, all around the map. A pirate has 8 outpost slots, he can put the hideouts in these slots, freetowns, or Mortimer, or Free for All towns.

* There should be bounty on the pirates, showing who got most loot, most victories, most ships captured. Sinking a famous pirate, you will be awarded a reward from Admirality. This is great feature, so best players can go pirate, show us how good they are, a super pvp incentive.

* And yes pirates can attack anyone, including pirates. Their clan can make allience with others, so who are not in allience are red.

* I am not sure about, if they should have any greenzone, shrinked greenzone or just greenzone around mortimer.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

Pirates at maximum level should have around 500 crew at max

Makes no sense for Pirates :)

The more plunder a pirate captains brings back to port the more crew will want to sail under his/her command.

No ranks, just plunder. This isn't the navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hethwill you are right but have you ever heard a pirate captain to command 1400 crew ? That is my point. So you will never have 1400 crew with splitting your plunder to pay them. That 500 or whatever is a number to represent that aspect and prevent them using big ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@Hethwill you are right but have you ever heard a pirate captain to command 1400 crew ? That is my point. So you will never have 1400 crew with splitting your plunder to pay them. That 500 or whatever is a number to represent that aspect and prevent them using big ships.

No we haven't :)  But that simple mechanic ( crazy coding maybe ) would not lock anything while keeping the "pirate life for me" appropriate and not a navy copycat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make pirates unique remove RvR from them, give them only Mortimer and the ability to have these 'hideouts'. No safe zones, how is that for content?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 12:41 AM, koltes said:

Pirate nation WILL become unique as the whole purpose will be to hunt and be hunted.
It removes pirates need to own SOLs.

Delete pirate 'nation' altogether, as there never was one. Pirates are individuals fighting for profit and maybe grouping with others, that makes a clan. So Pirates can offer what some have been demanding for all nations in this forum: a clan based conflict and not RvR. All 'other' nations of course stay nations.

And seeing Pirates move around in fleets the size of a national navy is just ridiculous. Impede them in crew command, so they can barely use a 4th rate.

Other mechanics, like the proposed dens and secret hideouts, are given to them as unique feature in compensation of the lost status and battle ships of a real nation. I think that will bring them even more players...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@Hethwill you are right but have you ever heard a pirate captain to command 1400 crew ? That is my point. So you will never have 1400 crew with splitting your plunder to pay them. That 500 or whatever is a number to represent that aspect and prevent them using big ships.

As Hethwill said, crews will flock to successful Captains, so make crews free to Pirates.  Yes to the 500 crew limit, but perhaps its a per ship limit, allowing a fleet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Delete pirate 'nation' altogether, as there never was one.

Buccaneer "republics", especially francophone one, and then the anglo saxon privateers turned pirates late federations were a reality. Just not a "nation" as established by... the nations. :)

They all lacked logistics innate to a nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Buccaneer "republics", especially francophone one, and then the anglo saxon privateers turned pirates late federations were a reality. Just not a "nation" as established by... the nations. :)

They all lacked logistics innate to a nation.

That fits into the clan structure picture, doesn't it? Those loose groups never had a full size battle ship fleet, crew came and went with their plans and success, low grade of organization, people deciding to become Pirates have to face legal problems outside of these groups and thus have to think twice before joining Pirates  -- all that must be the major difference to a real nation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

 Those loose groups never had a full size battle ship fleet

In the Caribbean no. Was not their intent at all :) although they had some serious battle fleets that effectively raided a lot of major ports. But let's not divert back to that.

The idea behind the OP, of having the havens like Treasure Island - unmarked - is a good one. Always was. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go with the concept of hard core Pirates, operating out of secret ports and having limited crews (VERY cool!), perhaps you would need a "legitimize" option (per Henry Morgan?).  After a successful and lucrative career pyrating, a Captain could purchase legitimacy and return to a nation (with his loot).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×