Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Dens around the map

Make pirates pirates - a dangerous path but potentially a rewarding one. The thing is you make them to cool and you drain the population away from the nations so you'd have to make nations 'cool' too. Why would I want to play any nation when I could just rent my services to whoever and get more PvP that way, there wouldn't be anyone left to rent my services :)

14 minutes ago, koltes said:

however while implying the negative consequences for being a pirate you are not giving an incentives that made people to made a decision to become a pirate in the first place.

Independence...  being the only ones capable of founding secret hideouts on the map... having no diplomatic ties to observe as we nationals have to... hit-and-run fun and seeking wealth and fortune...

All this will make people flock to a Pirate clan, it will be a totally different play style. And I think this is more than sufficient in benefits as to accept the restrictions on crew / ship size.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 1

Just now, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Independence...  being the only ones capable of founding secret hideouts on the map... having no diplomatic ties to observe as we nationals have to...

All this will make people flock to a Pirate clan, it will be a totally different play style. And I don't think this is more than sufficient in benefits as to accept the restrictions on crew / ship size.

Its also more of a high risk gameplay.  Some will love this while the more risk-adverse will stay with the security of the nation structure.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, koltes said:

Thus, would remove pirate nation altogether, Instead you would have KPR that have their "British" pirates. You would have French pirates who lived on La Tortue and so on.

This what you describe is just one form of piracy. The legalized one in the service of a nation, with a "letter of marque". Basically that is the privateer career. He gets his booty or a large share as long as he is attacking only the nations his king wants to see attacked. Piracy employed by his nation.

The moment he strikes someone else, the privateer status is lost and he is an ordinary pirate again, who knows no allegiance to any side (or just temporary for some 'deal').

The moment when we don't speak about privateers but full pirates, the nationality or origin does not play any role. On the contrary: as a criminal awaiting death sentence once caught his way back to his country is impossible without granted pardon, he has to seek a fortune with another nation where nobody will know him (so he hopes).

We could give another purpose to Pirate clans as a sort of mercenaries (if they chose so). Nations can hire a clan for supporting them on a given goal, for example as screen group at a PB. Or for raiding the waters of a specified enemy. In a table somewhere on your map window you could check the status for Pirate clans (not a Pirate 'nation', as it would be dissolved and turned into a loose clan structure system) and see, for whom they are under contract at the moment - turning them into a privateer clan for the time the contract works, with right to enter ports of the nation they work with and get ships equipped and repaired there. After contract is expired, they turn into general Pirate clan again and can be hired by someone else.

Lots of dynamics this way....

• Like 1

Forged Papers already can lend your "letter of marque" for a period of 30 days already. Captain will be bound to service for that period. Then he can switch back.

And most importantly... do not lose anything.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Forged Papers already can lend your "letter of marque" for a period of 30 days already. Captain will be bound to service for that period. Then he can switch back.

And most importantly... do not lose anything.

lol I was not aware of that. So Forged Papers no longer allows to swap nation permanently? Is it a temporary switch?

3 hours ago, koltes said:

lol I was not aware of that. So Forged Papers no longer allows to swap nation permanently? Is it a temporary switch?

I think you misinterpreted.

You can change nation every 30 days and without losing assets.

That gives you liberty of acting like you'd be under a letter of marque for 30 days, right ?

I would appreciate pirate dens.

Including capabilities for nations to attack there for sacking (getting dollars and pieces of eight), or ravaging (destroy or capture ships) or looting (get back upgrades).

This function could also be added to other ports, including uncapturable capitals.

Edited by Eleazar de Damas
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, Hethwill said:

I think you misinterpreted.

You can change nation every 30 days and without losing assets.

That gives you liberty of acting like you'd be under a letter of marque for 30 days, right ?

I regard a letter of marque mechanism as something different from "changing nationality every 30 days".

More like a contract thing.

And only for pirates.

They can chose lifestyle and jobs. Either stay plain pirate and attack anyone (from their secret hideouts), or offer themselves or their clan as contract mercenaries to nations, which hire them for an appointed period and negotiated price. Only then they are privateers with letter of marque. Contract ends and they lose status as privateer for that nation which took them under contract, they return to the plain piracy mode.

This has nothing to do with the DLC changing the nation. In my concept pirates would not become "french" or british" or else but still be pirates, just on temporary truce with the nation which hired their clan and working for that nation.