Game-Labs Forum

I was wondering if anyone knew or could validate the following:

Does the thickness stat affected by your FRAMING wood type refer to the thickness of your structure or your armor (planking)? And, is there even a mechanic in the game for structure thickness? I know armor (planking) has a thickness value, but does you structure (framing) do as well? Do shots need to penetrate the structure after penetrating the armor in order to actually reduce the HP of the structure? 

For instance, does the 5% thickness bonus from Teak Framing increase your framing thickness, your planking thickness, or both? And if both, is it equally 5% for both of is it distributed unequally?

I hope I articulated that correctly, thanks for the help.

P.S. Here is a link to the values I am using as a crafting aid. 

Only the armor has thickness.

the lower your armor hp gets the lower your thickness will be - that is why it is harder to bounce balls when in structure. Bermuda Cedar and Fir looses thickness faster than the other woods. The only thing stopping balls is armor thickness.

framing and planking is not the same as structure and armor. Framing and planking each adds bonuses to the ship’s base stats. If framing has 5% thickness bonus and planking has 5% thickness, then it will add 10% to the base armor thickness stats.

Real life bonus info: The framing of the ship was essential to a ships ability to bounce balls, it is the primary element determining the thickness of the wooden walls of a Ship of the Line - it’s fascinating how these old ships were built and how their wood types/quality/age would affect the performance.

• Like 3

@[ARMED] Matster77

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25469-thickness-penetration-details/

@Percival Merewether is correct. In an earlier POSTED Qs, I answer this and with a link to one of my guides. Also prove “Thickness Peel Off” doesn’t exist and is a side effect felt from a precipitous decline in the Planking’s Health and not a reduction in the static thickness number value.

N.

• Like 1

@Norfolk nChance, are you 100% sure “Thickness Peel Off” is not a thing? I can definately feel it in-game and admin has mentioned it mulitple times:

On 1/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, admin said:
  • Thickness drop due to damage increased for light builds. This means that if you are sailing fir/cedar ships you will have to start repairing earlier to retain thickness. 

Can’t properly quote this on my iPad so I’ll do it like this: 

• Bonuses for ship building woods were slightly rebalanced, ship will retain thickness for a bit longer when losing HP

I find it best to repair at rougly 80% armor to retain thickness the longest.

Edited by Percival Merewether

Because structure consists of frame and planking: structure also has thickness which is equal to the overall hull thickness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, admin said:

Because structure consists of frame and planking: structure also has thickness which is equal to the overall hull thickness. 

Will there be a wood modification any time soon? I heard that there might be changes to woods - changes that would make woods other than Teak/ White Oak more valuable. Perhaps ships made out of certain woods would be more inclined to get perm slots - other woods might get better random trim....some combinations have a better chance of both.

Im sure there is a way to make other woods more valuable. Right now, it seems the whole game/ crafting is based on Teak/WO/LO 

The only exception might be Patrol area ships as players tend to bring cheap ships. 

I was just curious.....

@Percival Merewether

Thank you for the reply. There is one thing you can do to see for yourself, very few if any players would actual test the theory. I have.  In relation to @admin comment...

Update 4 October

Bonuses for ship building woods were slightly rebalanced, ship will retain thickness for a bit longer when losing HP

As at Christmas I am absolutely sure Peel off doesn’t exist. First @admin sentence is NOT exact or clear. Is he actually referring to the Planking Thickness Health and not the Planking Thickness Penetration value? I believe he’s actually commenting on when the HEALTH reaches absolute zero and the next ball to hit will strike the internal health or central bar of the ship?

Sucking Eggs...

In-game I’ve just looked at one of my Agamemnon ships. In the second tab showing the ships detail mid screen you see this line...

Sides (L/R) 7172/7172 Thickness 67.58

Please bear with me here. It shows the two sides armor health values and the thickness penetration value needed to cause a successful strike. What was told to me in the POST as one side is warn down the Thickness Pen value also reduces. Thus, giving the planking peel off effect.

Take a ship out get in a fight and retreat back to PORT. I did this with Mercury in the POST but any ship will do. If my Aggy took 50% damage to the Starboard side the new line in PORT would now read this...

Sides (L/R) 7172/3586 Thickness 67.58

If Thickness Peel-Off existed it would read this...

Sides (L/R) 7172/3586 Thickness 67.58/33.79

Thickness

Or Penetration value of the planking is a fixed constant figure that never changes. Exactly like the Damage the actual Cannon ball delivers on a successful penetration of the Hull.

Peel-Off Feel Good is Real

I can definately feel it in-game and admin has mentioned it mulitple times:

What you are actually feeling is the logarithmic Percentage increase in Damage which is causing a precipitous decline in HEALTH.

Example...

Imagine you successfully deal 500 points (breaching the Penetration Value) each broadside to a ships side that’s got armor health of 10,000 points. You account for about 5 percent damage to the ships health. It will take 20 broadsides to knocked out the side planking...

The feeling you have starts probably at 30% reduction but definitely noticeable when the enemy armor is at 50% health. Now the Broadside damage of 500points against the Hull of 5,000 points has doubled to 10% in value. 10 broadsides are only needed to completely destroy the side.

At 3000 points is 17% or just 6 more broadsides are needed...

You are NOT dealing any better damage but each new broadside delivered is dealing more effective HPs compared the previous one. THIS IS THE FEEL-GOOD FACTOR.

Test Test and Keep Testing...

Its very easy to reply in a forum POST “That’s wrong or rubbish or whatever...”. Just test it and see. If you read the entire back and forth in the post I highlight predictive target destruction. How many successful rounds would it take to sink a ship at x distance with a type of cannon...

Funny enough using my ALT I did it. The only issue I couldn’t prove was the STERN. It takes more shots to sink the boat than I predicted.

Sorry for the length but I needed to explain each stage. If Peel off exists the side thickness value needs two figures to match each side of the ship.

Norfolk.

4 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Its very easy to reply in a forum POST “That’s wrong or rubbish or whatever...”. Just test it and see. If you read the entire back and forth in the post I highlight predictive target destruction. How many successful rounds would it take to sink a ship at x distance with a type of cannon...

Funny enough using my ALT I did it. The only issue I couldn’t prove was the STERN. It takes more shots to sink the boat than I predicted.

I have never claimed your theory to be rubbish, don't be so quick to make that kind of assumptions - it's not going to get you anywhere..

In regards to testing I think you're going about it the wrong way - you shouldn't count how many successful rounds it will take to sink a ship. You have to count how many rounds are sucessfully penetrating the ship as the HP goes down, you will notice that the further down the HP goes, the more rounds will penetrate.

Going by my theory you should do more damage per broadside since you will get more penetrations, and I have just tested it in-game:

(Counted in broadsides)

1. 5x hull
  2. 5x hull
  3. 8x hull
  4. 7x hull
  5. 7x hull
  6. 10x hull
  7. 14x hull
  8. 18x hull

Both ships were static and the target was angled at roughly 45 degrees - I'll have to redo the sometime this weekend with screenshots.

• Like 1

@Percival Merewether

forgive my poorly worded script. It wasn't aimed at you in anyway shape or form

I see your point and will give it a test. The Peel-Off would need to show on the static Thickness number still. Thickness detrition will allow for the higher dispersion shots to count as a success rather than miss in other words. If both Cannon Pen and Thickness values are fairly close at the start of battle you'd see more misses while towards the close you'd see more hits.

Even so with this method the damaged ship returning to PORT will show one side damaged against the other but the thickness value would have not changed. One side value should be lower than the other. 

An off the cuff thought might to be to try an analyzed dispersion code in the game. This is where the adjustment could be made and yet still have a permeant thickness value that's static. In other words the attackers guns become more accurate the lower the Armor HEALTH... 

N.