Game-Labs Forum

on Beverages and Reviving the dead

The NA rulebook as per the present day states that:

- Rum can be used to revive crew lost during battle

All good and despite the name involved the mechanic does away with logistics necessary to conduct naval operations.

Now my suggestion comes towards a multinational approach, as in game multi nations.

Items that could be included as crew revival should be:

- Tea

- Bourbon

- Wine

- Cider

Pros:

- local access in any nation to specific item even when rum is not available

- nation fluff if player decides - a yank privateer might pack some bourbon, a french corsair will go with fine wine, a tea totaller like pagan must go with Tea.

Cons:

- ... not sure.

• Like 8

How would it work if you had a mixture? say for example you head out hunting with rum as your crew revival, but as you hit enemy shipping and you stocks are running low you replenish from ships you have sunk, but now you find yourself with multiple different revive drinks, could you use a mixture of these to make up the quantity required to revive crew or could you be left with odd amounts of each?

Good suggestion, but I think each item should have a different effect. The more items you have the better. Expand economy. 

- Tea - revives 10 sailors/30 secs

- Bourbon - revives 15 sailors/30 secs

- Wine -  revives 20 sailors/30 secs

- Cider -  revives 25 sailors/30 secs

- Rum (the best) 

Edited by Wind

Why we need make things more complicated. Keep little things simple, complicate where it matters.

Rum is fine as it is i think, no need for ten different variations of it. 

Edited by Liang Dao Ming

11 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

Rum is fine as it is

Yes it is. There's no issue with Rum. Neither was that stated anywhere.

Would be interesting to see more offers, more diversity, more choices.

...instead of the same Rum monopoly :) ( especially by hostile contract takeover ).

Especially given a ton of wine and other types are dully transported by traders from ports and sold into free towns.

Plus fluff.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Yes it is. There's no issue with Rum. Neither was that stated anywhere.

Let me rephrase, Rum being the only source of reviving crew is fine, no need for 10 variations of it.

7 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Would be interesting to see more offers, more diversity, more choices.

Might aswell do that with hull repairs, rig repairs,.. what else we got,... introduce ammunition and a wide range of different types. The list goes on and on and I just think there no need for it.

I just don't see how more diversity as to which type of "crew reviving" drinks onboard your ship will make the game more enjoyable or interesting. 

Just an opinion mate, I suggest keep things like this simple and introduce divsersity some other way.

Yep, just an opinion. That's what suggestions are. :) All good.

The variation ensures, imo, a free market, amongst other things, main one being - alternative.

Let's say you buy ALL of the rum produce and you want to sell it at 1500 each. Some Cider is sold into the shop, usual trade route with good profit, and the shop sells for 1000.

Some Bourbon also sees its way into the shop, and it becomes available at 550... It goes on and on and on. Competition by multiple offer.

No need to change anything. Rum stays as Production good. Rest stays as trade goods with added effect.

Rigs and hull are one entity type of thing. Beverages are multiple types.

Whilst I hate that dead crew can be revived (hate it!), If we were going to have this, I like the idea that different beverages would have different power (to create our zombies).  To keep it simple, it would be best to leave it with the "Surgeon" function.  He would simply use the best option available until used up and then go to the next one down.

If its not a hidden suggestion to reduce rum prices then the missmatch of rum availability at certain locations is created due to the fact that  selling rum at useless ports generates less profit over time for traders. Why risk when you can have it almost safe in homewaters and high risk + high profit at freetwons and be certain to sell it? Because of that we would need to cure the root and not to try to cure by symptoms.

Edited by z4ys