Game-Labs Forum

Bring Back Outlaw Battles for Every Nation

I'd like to see outlaw battles brought back for every nation. If every nation had outlaw battles, this would keep the mechanics even so nations couldn't complain about the mechanics being abused or one nation having an advantage, etc. I do think that nations besides pirates would need a deterrent from doing outlaw battles, however the past mechanic of the attacker becoming pirate was too extreme. There are a couple options for deterrents that I'd like to suggest.

First Option: After the attacker sinks a player from their own nation, and they try to enter one of their nation's ports, they would go into port and a message would pop up saying something like "Due to your attack on local forces, you must pay a bribe to dock" with an accept or decline button. If they accept it would take 10% of their gold up to 250k or something, if they decline it would put them back in the open world before they could repair or do anything in port. They would of course have use of free towns without paying.

Second Option: After the attacker sinks a player from their own nation, they'd have a timer for an hour or so during which they couldn't enter ports of their nation. They could also have a marker or a flag over them in the open world. Maybe if someone from their nation kills the person with the timer, that attacker wouldn't get a timer.

Everything else about the outlaw battles would remain the same, no xp, gold, or marks would be given. People could only join the defender's side, etc.

Edit: I guess in the past there were two versions of outlaw battles. One where it was a free for all with everyone against everyone else, and one where it was the attacker vs everyone else. Although I enjoyed both, I think the second version - where it is only one attacker vs the defender and everyone that joins is on the defender's team - is the better version of the two. This version allows for 1v1s, but does not allow for a single clan or group to 'terrorize' or 'rule' a nation. In this second version the attacker can never be the ganker, and the defender can not be ganked.

Edited by --Privateer--
  • Like 7

Wish they remove Pirates from chargen, only way to become a pirate is kill a fellow nation member. If your tired of being a pirate than delete your char and do the test or just use forge papers.  

Most of the folks we saw abusing the outlaw battles wasn't the pirates but nationals with pirate alts.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

Not for every nation.

Just weird with officers attacking other officers of the same nation. 

No it's not, outlaws where a big part of the time, just because I was born in the US doesn't mean I have to fight for the US. This would add more depth and reduce sexual tensions between clans within a nation who don't like each other. More toys in the sandbox=more fun. As long as the penalty is strong enough, then this would be a good addition adding depth to the game.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

No it's not, outlaws where a big part of the time, just because I was born in the US doesn't mean I have to fight for the US. This would add more depth and reduce sexual tensions between clans within a nation who don't like each other. More toys in the sandbox=more fun. As long as the penalty is strong enough, then this would be a good addition adding depth to the game.

By outlaws you mean pirates no?.

Your are right if you are born in U.S don't need to fight for U.S, you could fight for Great Britain, but then you wouldn't be sinking british ships would you?. That would make you.. pirate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

By outlaws you mean pirates no?.

Your are right if you are born in U.S don't need to fight for U.S, you could fight for Great Britain, but then you wouldn't be sinking british ships would you?. That would make you.. pirate.

That's way more complicated than what's suggested and if it was that easy to make pirates proper then it would've been done already. Being an outlaw is a matter of status not of what "nation" you chose.

Edited by Slim McSauce

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

That's way more complicated than what's suggested and if it was that easy to make pirates proper then it would've been done already. Being an outlaw is a matter of status not of what "nation" you chose.

What's complicated with what I said?. It was just a statement not a suggestion for game mechanic.

@Liang Dao Mingthe pirates we have in game are a nation. By your post it sounds like  everyone who wants the outlaw lifestyle should pick pirates, those two things aren't equivalent by current standards and wont be without a massive overhaul of game mechanics. Giving every nation outlaw battles with an outlaw status achieves the same thing in less time while other things can be focused on.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

@Liang Dao Mingthe pirates we have in game are a nation. By your post it sounds like  everyone who wants the outlaw lifestyle should pick pirates, those two things aren't equivalent by current standards and wont be without a massive overhaul of game mechanics. Giving every nation outlaw battles with an outlaw status achieves the same thing in less time while other things can be focused on.

Ok I think we just misunderstand eachother. But I finally got what you mean.

But then pirate nation would have to go in my opinion as then every nation would have their own pirates (no matter if you call them outlaws or not) otherwise we would have a pirate nation AND pirates in every nation.

Or am I completely not understanding this?.:)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

Ok I think we just misunderstand eachother. But I finally got what you mean.

But then pirate nation would have to go in my opinion as then every nation would have their own pirates (no matter if you call them outlaws or not) otherwise we would have a pirate nation AND pirates in every nation.

Or am I completely not understanding this?.:)

Yes exactly, but as an alpha fix you can just call them outlaws, give them an x amount of time penalty and call it day, no need to remove the pirate nation....yet :D

• Like 2

What about a new outlaw pirate nation only available with the prolific forger DLC ( to prevent new players from starting in it and give DLC owners something extra ) that flies the red flag? Just remove the FFA outlaw battle in favour of 1 vs 1 only battles against other outlaw players to prevent abuse etc. ...

11 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

What about a new outlaw pirate nation only available with the prolific forger DLC ( to prevent new players from starting in it and give DLC owners something extra ) that flies the red flag? Just remove the FFA outlaw battle in favour of 1 vs 1 only battles against other outlaw players to prevent abuse etc. ...

*vomits*

please dont ever sell basic functionality as dlc, a great way to permanently f*** your reputation as game developers. 

17 minutes ago, Christendom said:

PLEASE.

Also just make it so no outlaw battles can be opened in the safe zone.  None.  This will future proof the mechanics from players like KoC who used alts to “manipulate” outlaw battles in the zones.  

+1 and the good thing with this is you can kill known alts, something we've been waiting to do for a long time :)

aka. I can't defend from the ganks of the enemy nations so let me gank our own instead.

aka. I don't want to sail to enemy waters to fight, so let me fight our own.

*yawn*

Anything even remotely outlaw should be 1v1 equal BR, closed duel, raise yer fists you knave, not a moshpit.

28 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

aka. I can't defend from the ganks of the enemy nations so let me gank our own instead.

aka. I don't want to sail to enemy waters to fight, so let me fight our own.

*yawn*

Anything even remotely outlaw should be 1v1 equal BR, closed duel, raise yer fists you knave, not a moshpit.

It's just pvp, it's not like me sailing an hour to gank noobs at KPR is any better. Besides this is a sandbox and outlaw and vigilantes are a part of any good game.

• Rename current pirate nation to Republic of Pirates (of Nassau)
  • Add a Nation called Pirates (or something similar)
    • Settings:
      • No Reinforcment zone
      • Can attack any other players of the faction
      • Cannot capture ports
      • Can buy crafting materials and / or ships for gold / pvp marks
      • "Pirate Den" access in every freeport

Let average joe play "Pirate" in the Republic of Pirates faction for an hour after work sinking npcs, if that's what he wants to do.

BUT there should be a "real" privateer faction not giving any shits about anything.

Another suggestion then would be the ability of other nations to put up Real-Time bounties on a seperate chat / in port which players of the privateer / "real" pirate nation go after.

Example: French Chef d'Escarde puts up a note: British Frigate spotted at Camp du Roy, needs eliminating. 500k reward.

Basically anything to make Naval Action's life more interesting for the privateer oriented players.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 2

None of the suggestions so far has addressed the possible abuse of the outlaw mechanic.  What do you do about using the outlaw battle to hide? What about using the outlaw battle to get away when being chased?

As long as it is open to abuse the outlaw mechanic does not work.

4 minutes ago, Archaos said:

None of the suggestions so far has addressed the possible abuse of the outlaw mechanic.  What do you do about using the outlaw battle to hide? What about using the outlaw battle to get away when being chased?

As long as it is open to abuse the outlaw mechanic does not work.

Outlaw battles stay open for 30 mins.  Problem solved for #1

Anyone can join an outlaw battle and sink anyone in it.  Problem solved for #2

The largest abuser of the outlaw mechanic was from alts or disgruntled members of the pirate faction tagging others inside the safe zones so national players could get in.  Remove the option to form outlaw battles in reinforcement zones.  Problem solved.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

It's just pvp, it's not like me sailing an hour to gank noobs at KPR is any better. Besides this is a sandbox and outlaw and vigilantes are a part of any good game.

Man, i'd just raid every single trader on "my" nation. Sit in front of the major hub and get bored to hell :) as they keep coming until there's no one left.

See where this is going ? It is not about 1 playstyle, it is a mechanic that will affect everyone.

Think about it in depth.

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

Outlaw battles stay open for 30 mins.  Problem solved for #1

Anyone can join an outlaw battle and sink anyone in it.  Problem solved for #2

The largest abuser of the outlaw mechanic was from alts or disgruntled members of the pirate faction tagging others inside the safe zones so national players could get in.  Remove the option to form outlaw battles in reinforcement zones.  Problem solved.

Didnt they used to stay open before? The problem is unless you join almost straight away they are too far for you to catch.

If outlaw battles were open to all nations you would have even more alts ganking traders and creating battles so others can join and generally being a nuisance.

I can see some merit in outlaw mechanic for a very hardcore pirate faction that was not a nation, but otherwise there are just too many flaws with it.

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Man, i'd just raid every single trader on "my" nation.

And for this your whole nation will punish you.

It was like this when Pirates had outlaw mechanic. Some clans ganked every other player and they got killed over and over for it.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 2

Just now, Hethwill said:

Man, i'd just raid every single trader on "my" nation. Sit in front of the major hub and get bored to hell :) as they keep coming until there's no one left.

See where this is going ? It is not about 1 playstyle, it is a mechanic that will affect everyone.

Think about it in depth.

then your nation hates you and people go out of their way to make your life hell, good luck getting into a PB after that. Its self balancing in that sorta way. Nothing one person can do can't be countered by another. Unlike when we use to have outlaw battles that only pirates could use, of course making them OP.

• Like 1