Game-Labs Forum

Premium ship with congreve rockets

There could be a premium / DLC ship firing congreve rockets. Very hard to hit / low accuracy like mortars but high damage and very high fire chance. The ship should also have much higher chance to get set on fire itself as another downside. Seeing how mortar brigs are only used in port battles, I don't think this ship would be too strong and probably rather the opposite.

Firing_Congreve_Rockets_PAH7444.jpg

That could really piss people off, though. The people who keep getting set on fire by the rockets, I mean. I'm reminded of artillery in WoT, only with these you'd have the extra torment of seeing all those rockets coming for you. 

Edited by Arvenski

2 minutes ago, Arvenski said:

That could really piss people off, though.

2 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

These kind of experiments in naval action could turn quite bad. Every time a new ship is added it is so op... see the Hercules, the new miniwasa.

The Hercules is OP because the devs want it to be that way... you can balance any ship by tweaking its stats. Just give the rockets horrendous spread and accuracy and it won't be too powerful. Those rocket ships weren't very effective historically either...

2 hours ago, Sovereign said:

The Hercules is OP because the devs want it to be that way... you can balance any ship by tweaking its stats. Just give the rockets horrendous spread and accuracy and it won't be too powerful. Those rocket ships weren't very effective historically either...

We sunk a few and almost sunk a few more last night.  The main reason it's OP is cause of it's speed and weapons.  If you get some good players that team up and work together they can take them down fast.  Specially when folks make them very squashy for the extra speed.  Found out a lot of the WO ones we fought last night where teak teak and would damage very easly but just about all our engagement with them has been with slow port battle ships so we can't catch them so they control the fight pretty much.

As for as premium ship I kinda like the chance to catch sails on fire and such, but in that video those where way to OP killing ships to easly.  Maybe have a special mortar brig that isn't a light ship would be cool.  I would love to see like as ship like the 3rd rate that has mortars on it,  Maybe have 4 instead of 2 so they can do more damage and are more deadly but they are slow tugs so once you get in range if they aren't defended they are pretty much dead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We sunk a few and almost sunk a few more last night.  The main reason it's OP is cause of it's speed and weapons.  If you get some good players that team up and work together they can take them down fast.  Specially when folks make them very squashy for the extra speed.  Found out a lot of the WO ones we fought last night where teak teak and would damage very easly but just about all our engagement with them has been with slow port battle ships so we can't catch them so they control the fight pretty much.

I think the main problem with Hercules is simply that it is classified as 6th rate and allowed in shallows...

but in that video those where way to OP killing ships to easly

Yeah, the video was purely for visuals and I should not have linked it. Obviously the rockets weren't and shouldn't be nearly as accurate. The main reason they would hit is the high volume of fire / big volleys.

I would love to see like as ship like the 3rd rate that has mortars on it,  Maybe have 4 instead of 2 so they can do more damage and are more deadly but they are slow tugs so once you get in range if they aren't defended they are pretty much dead.

I would like to see this aswell. @admin Please give some love to mortar firing mechanics and mortar vessels...

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

I think the main problem with Hercules is simply that it is classified as 6th rate and allowed in shallows...

Yeah, the video was purely for visuals and I should not have linked it. Obviously the rockets weren't and shouldn't be nearly as accurate. The main reason they would hit is the high volume of fire / big volleys.

I would like to see this aswell. @admin Please give some love to mortar firing mechanics and mortar vessels...

Yah the big issue I'm guess with the Hercules is going to be shallow port battles.  We only seen one brought (one guy on our side the other night) to actual port battle, but the rest have been used for screening mostly.   I think it should have a BR of 100, just like the Wasa which wasn't really OP other than it's BR placement made it so.

The other thing would be nice if sail hits from a mortar had a chance to chatch them on fire.....I play a mortar brig a lot so I'm kinda bias and just want to watch a bunch of 1st rates burn....burn....burn....lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The other thing would be nice if sail hits from a mortar had a chance to chatch them on fire.....I play a mortar brig a lot so I'm kinda bias and just want to watch a bunch of 1st rates burn....burn....burn....lol

The mortar brig / mortars could definitely use some love to be honest. It is a nice addition to the game and offers a completely new playstyle but is held back by its clunky aim mechanics and one dimensional style. I would like to see the mortar brig being more effective and more skill demanding / hard to master aswell. And explosive shells ( even if they only increase crew damage and fire chance ) should definitely be considered as the mortar vessels also used this type of ammunition historically.

"A bomb vessel, bomb ship, bomb ketch, or simply bomb was a type of wooden sailing naval ship. Its primary armament was not cannons (long guns or carronades)—although bomb vessels carried a few cannons for self-defence—but mortars mounted forward near the bow and elevated to a high angle, and projecting their fire in a ballistic arc. Explosive shells (also called bombs at the time) or carcasses were employed rather than solid shot. Bomb vessels were specialized ships designed for bombarding (hence the name) fixed positions on land. " (source)

This would also look much more dramatic and epic in game. 

@admin , what do you think?

Edited by Sovereign