Game-Labs Forum

Limiting repairs would solve a lot of issues that we're currently facing with the balance of battles. The meta should revolve around skill, not how many repairs you pack.

That's why I think @Le Raf Boom's suggestion of 3 repairs on no timer would be the best. 3 repairs is enough to maintain your ships health throughout an average battle, and being able to use all 3 at once at a critical moment is a skill in itself, rather than popping a repair every 10 minutes which isn't realistic or balanced.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

thats just like, your opinion man.

but seriously, you don't just take away one element of pvp and not balance the other side of it. NEGLECTFUL! 

Edited by Slim McSauce

1 hour ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I think you are wrong, it will create more issues.

You actually never played the game when we only had one repair, did you?

Battles back then were much more interesting. Making mistakes would punish you, playing smart rewarded you.

What we have now is players just sailing close hauled for 15 minutes so they can get their repair done and then go back in because they have a brand new ship when their repair is done.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Batman said:

What we have now is players just sailing close hauled for 15 minutes so they can get their repair done

blame us all for that. leeway worked perfectly regarding the continuous close haul. we just couldn't bear having the cake being taken away. we did speak against it and how "breaking" it was ( apart from leewayfans ) we have what we all wished for. devs always deliver. *sigh*

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Batman said:

You actually never played the game when we only had one repair, did you?

Battles back then were much more interesting. Making mistakes would punish you, playing smart rewarded you.

What we have now is players just sailing close hauled for 15 minutes so they can get their repair done and then go back in because they have a brand new ship when their repair is done.

THIS! I hate what repairs have done to the meta, what was tactful, paced, and meticulous fighting is now a brutish DPS slugfest. It's disgusting.

Well Slim, I see no „brutish DPS slugfest“. I see a lot of mastsniping, running and ganking. Most of my battles (if I find one) end within 10-20 Minuten.

With the new chaindamage you have no chance against fir/fir hordes any way, so why change repairs? If you have a good and equal fight there is no need to change the current system, too. What we need is a chainnerf (old System was fine to me) and a leewaybuff. You said you stoped playing. I recommend you take a 5th rate (not fir/fir please) and go out alone for hunting. You will be surprised!

2 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Well Slim, I see no „brutish DPS slugfest“. I see a lot of mastsniping, running and ganking. Most of my battles (if I find one) end within 10-20 Minuten.

With the new chaindamage you have no chance against fir/fir hordes any way, so why change repairs? If you have a good and equal fight there is no need to change the current system, too. What we need is a chainnerf (old System was fine to me) and a leewaybuff. You said you stoped playing. I recommend you take a 5th rate (not fir/fir please) and go out alone for hunting. You will be surprised!

because you should not be able to regrow mast after mast and rebuild your hull from zero to 100 again and again. Not only does it not make sense to be able to do that it makes combat long, tedious and boring. Combat right now is a race to see who runs out of repairs first, nevermind who is the better sailor or gunner.

I dont think there is a „repairstackmeta“. No good player will waste his slots by stacking repairmods. You can run 1—2 repairmods, thats all. A lot of players use mastprotection (e.g. frenchrig), one or two speedmods or one speedmod and cartagena on there 3/5 expensive ships. Refering to the bookslots, it would be a waste of slots to use more than 1 for a repairmod. Speed, reload, mastprotection and even boarding seem to be more important. By the way, I am talking about fightingships (t/wo or t/t, not the fir/fir ganking—running—rubbish).

If you only stack all the repairmods, it would be pretty easy to sank you. 

The skill is to be agressive enough to use the damage you have done without giving the other player the chance to get out and repair. If you can not do that, it doesnt matter if he can repair 1 or 5 times, he will get you or get away anyway. If you limit repairs, the other player will not turn and try it again but run and escape. Battle over. 

I do understand that some mastsnipers want to limit repairs and nerf the effectivity of repairs. Shoot the mast — kill. But sniping masts is actually effective enough. If you loose a mast, you will be sunk in most cases.

Repairs are limited by their wheight. If you take to many repairs, you will slow down to much. I hope admin will not increase the weight to much, esp. refering to RVR.

Most PvP battles are short. If you nerf repairs, you will make them even shorter because there will not be any battle at all, there will be running and escaping. 

I dislike parts os the repairsystem. It is a waste of time getting repairs. It should be possible to repair a ship (slowly) in OW without repairunits. In battle, the system should stay as it is and there shoud be no increase of wheight.

19 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I dont think there is a „repairstackmeta“. No good player will waste his slots by stacking repairmods. You can run 1—2 repairmods, thats all. A lot of players use mastprotection (e.g. frenchrig), one or two speedmods or one speedmod and cartagena on there 3/5 expensive ships. Refering to the bookslots, it would be a waste of slots to use more than 1 for a repairmod. Speed, reload, mastprotection and even boarding seem to be more important. By the way, I am talking about fightingships (t/wo or t/t, not the fir/fir ganking—running—rubbish).

If you only stack all the repairmods, it would be pretty easy to sank you. 

The skill is to be agressive enough to use the damage you have done without giving the other player the chance to get out and repair. If you can not do that, it doesnt matter if he can repair 1 or 5 times, he will get you or get away anyway. If you limit repairs, the other player will not turn and try it again but run and escape. Battle over. 

I do understand that some mastsnipers want to limit repairs and nerf the effectivity of repairs. Shoot the mast — kill. But sniping masts is actually effective enough. If you loose a mast, you will be sunk in most cases.

Repairs are limited by their wheight. If you take to many repairs, you will slow down to much. I hope admin will not increase the weight to much, esp. refering to RVR.

Most PvP battles are short. If you nerf repairs, you will make them even shorter because there will not be any battle at all, there will be running and escaping. 

I dislike parts os the repairsystem. It is a waste of time getting repairs. It should be possible to repair a ship (slowly) in OW without repairunits. In battle, the system should stay as it is and there shoud be no increase of wheight.

Tell me in what simulator are you are able to bring your vehicle, ship or soilder back to full health.  Even in AC black flag you cant do that, Sid meirs pirates you cant do that, and they arent even simulators. repairs in this game makes zero logical sense. Tier the damage if you must for game play. limit repairs if your desperate i would even say remove repairs completely from battles. But repairs like this have no place.

The problem with the "just be aggressive" argument is that you shouldn't be forced to play hyper aggressive just because repairs so greatly affect pvp that it's impossible to play without them.

It's a big flaw that affects all the way up to PBs, it's the reason why you see teams winning against crazy odds so often, they're just using repairs and playing brutishly aggressive. The pace is all off, the game plays like Call of Duty on ships with how much health you regen over time.

Why do we need more than 3 repairs per battle? That''s 1 to repair damage from chain, 1 for hull after taking a big hit and 1 for a masts that gets snipped. You may ask well how do you win if you're mast are chopped? The enemy is on the same number of repairs you are. If your sails are torn up and the enemies aren't, or they have an extra repair and you don't then that means you were outplayed fair and square. There should be no bailouts, at that point you should be thinking about how to preserve your ship, not try to turn the battle around by running for 40 minutes while you repair up completely.