Game-Labs Forum

5 hours ago, Hethwill said:

but the more correct way would be, not a speed debuff per se but debuffing yard turning. After all the crews and passing lines and canvas up, abstraction of thre rig being worked means we can't handle it so easily.

4 hours ago, Christendom said:

I personally liked the old method of 1 repair/rig and that was it.  You tactically had to conserve your sides and when to save your repair was highly important.  Especially now that chain is limited it feel like this would be even more dynamic.  

4 hours ago, admin said:

This can be easily achieved without any change in code still giving the player flexibility to repair multiple times, but making this choice a hard choice.

For example repair weights could be increased to the point that if you want to repair 30% of the hull - the weight of this repair should a significant % of the repaired hull weight.

A combination of these two ideas, including Admins response,  seem to be the ones that try to mirror reality the most, while not affecting gameplay too negatively.

2 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

Speed nerf is to punishing in my oppinion especially with chasers with chain being so strong. This would be worse than limiting repairs because you cannot disengage anymore. The 2min repairing did alot to help the combat. If you consider anything sea trials repairs were best!!! 3 repairs in total. This way you can repair masts 3 times or hull 3 times

This sounds reasonable to me, and everyone could live with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, admin said:

What we would like to hear is your ideas on repairs that could improve combat depth (increasing importance of first proper shot and focus fire). For example - we are considering.

1. Add speed debuff when you repair sails/masts. Ships cannot repair sails/masts at speed.
  2. Add speed/water intake dependence: structural and penetrating leaks will take a lot more water if sailing fast and will take much less water if you are stationary. 

seems logical since you wouldnt sew a hole while the sail is up in the rigging, you would have to take the sail down = loose speed) before you put it back up. Also maybe increase splinter damage to crew when you do hull repair because the crew are infact next to the side to plug holes.

8 hours ago, admin said:
  • Add speed debuff when you repair sails/masts. Ships cannot repair sails/masts at speed.
  • Add speed/water intake dependence: structural and penetrating leaks will take a lot more water if sailing fast and will take much less water if you are stationary. 

I think first solution is very bad, as it eliminates lone hunting as a viable option. Lone hunter already has odds against him. If he is slowed down when repairing, he has no chance. 

I think NA needs more action not less, and eliminating lone hunting eliminates some of this action. In the same time it doesn't add visible new opportunities for fun and engaging battles. 

I fully agree with Liq here. 

I think a good alternative would be to slow down repairs, so that they work more like rum, over extended amount of time. Another option is to extend cooldown to eg 15 minutes. This would make them a bit more tactical. In the same time it's safer than introducing new mechanisms which are risky and may need a lot of time for being fine-tuned.

9 hours ago, admin said:

This can be easily achieved without any change in code still giving the player flexibility to repair multiple times, but making this choice a hard choice.

For example repair weights could be increased to the point that if you want to repair 30% of the hull - the weight of this repair should a significant % of the repaired hull weight.

Sails are lighter and captain always carried a lot of extra sails and mast parts on voyages, but for hull repairs i think the weight is too low. 

Currently repairs to fully repair 10000 hp (100 repairs) only weight 100 tons
Which is definitely an oversight.
Repairs to fully repair hull and structure for 10000 hp (a 3000+ displacement ship) should not weight 100 tons; 1000 tons would be a more appropriate number.

I actually don't have a problem with repairs right now other than some one should not be able to get back to 100% with one repair if they are down to like 50-60% sails/hull (this is more an issue with sails) and they should not be going full speed/full sails while repairing.  I really like the concept of having to be in battle sails to do repairs.  This means you have to slow down and take the risk to get those repairs done, you can't hall balls up wind and escape going as fast as possible to out run every one.  What we are see is a lot of really soft ships built for speed and escape in fights cause of repairs get them back up to decent health fast. It's actually rare you see a hull repair in battle other than PB's maybe cause every one just repairs sails and runs or backs off the fights if need be. 

8 hours ago, admin said:

Also - did not this system let you actually win and use the mechanics to your advantage?
Structure already gives debuff, if you were able to slip away was it because of your skillful positioning, or them not damaging you to a proper level (to slow you down).

While I get you want to give folks a chance to win/escape when out number, but the problem is the only ones that are doing so are the pro vets.  These are the same guys that slaughter teams when way out number when they really shouldn't win.   They all ready have an advantage with skill over the other players.  Alot of times folks will use up there chain early and soon as the team is out of chain the solo guy will make a run for it and repair.  Than he escapes cause ball is not very effective at slowing some one down unless you can hit mast.  Even than with super accuracy stern guns the escaping ship has a better chance of demasting the chasers than the chasers do of hitting the runners mast.  Super accuracy stern guns needs to be changed to the same accuracy as all the other guns.   As above instead of limiting the number or repairs limit when you can do them.

Also remeber folks any changes done to the players repairs will effect AI fighting such as doing Epic Fleets.  Part of how most folks survive them is tanked out repairs and DPS them once they are split up, or as a few do is shoot sails but I haven't seen any one try this with limit chain now.   I never been able to demast one of those epic ships so wonder if they have boosted Armor.  We haven't done one the last few weeks since change to chain shot and other things but might try that out this eve to test it if we find one.

While admin stated it would not happen anytime soon...rediii saying that each repair should give less (25, 15, 10) would be my vote.

Next best thing? I feel a combinatiom of thoughts and suggestions made here would be the ideal solution.

I just don't think it should be possible to fully repair the ship back to 100% in a battle after taking damage.

What if when a sail repair happens, the ship would not lose or gain speed while repairing?

Overall I think repair functions as they are now are good but not great. I think a hard cap of 5 repairs (hull/rig/rum) would be good.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

What we are see is a lot of really soft ships built for speed and escape in fights cause of repairs get them back up to decent health fast. It's actually rare you see a hull repair in battle other than PB's maybe cause every one just repairs sails and runs or backs off the fights if need be. 

I think we may be playing a different game, as I have a completely different experience around LT, MT, KPR, Gustavia, New Smyrna, Manataca, Shroud Cay, and a few other places.

6 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

While I get you want to give folks a chance to win/escape when out number, but the problem is the only ones that are doing so are the pro vets.  These are the same guys that slaughter teams when way out number when they really shouldn't win.

Those pro vets have an important role in the game now as well - they start a fight when outnumbered, which is not happening without them. In case there are only groups of players who look for numerical advantage to fight and avoid fights when they don't have an advantage, there is no fight at all - there are just groups of people who avoid each other.

Those pro vets as you call them are also usually heavily outnumbered, to a point of absurd, and usually sink a few times per day.

Last but not least, those pro vets usually don't use speed builds :) 

• Like 4

Yes we should be able to access our hold in battle and have the option to throw cannons and anything in hold overboard to increase speed. That would be historically accurate.

We should also be able to pull up next to another ship in OW and come to a stop and trade goods between those two ships. This also would be historically accurate.

Edited by PaladinFX
  • Like 1

Keep it simple, intuitive and fun.

3 hull repairs, 3 rig repairs per battle.

No need of complex things happening when repairing neither a great increase of the weight... 

You solve it fast so you can focus on other important things.

• Like 1

4-5 times repairing should be the limit in battle instance. Regardless of hull / sail or even crew. As stated many times, keep it simple. 

I still feel, you should never repair up to %100.

I think you have all the tools in place already to vary repair speeds etc.  just by increasing the weights of repairs like you mentioned earlier will change the amounts carried and provide options as to how captains continue to load their ships.  You could also vary the amount of crew that gets diverted to repair the ship- this continues to affect the other functions of the ship as it does now.  I think repairs don't need to be reworked but other wieights, and crew allocation numbers could be tested to see the effects. Testing is what we are here for. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 3:58 AM, vazco said:

I think we may be playing a different game, as I have a completely different experience around LT, MT, KPR, Gustavia, New Smyrna, Manataca, Shroud Cay, and a few other places.

Those pro vets have an important role in the game now as well - they start a fight when outnumbered, which is not happening without them. In case there are only groups of players who look for numerical advantage to fight and avoid fights when they don't have an advantage, there is no fight at all - there are just groups of people who avoid each other.

Those pro vets as you call them are also usually heavily outnumbered, to a point of absurd, and usually sink a few times per day.

Last but not least, those pro vets usually don't use speed builds :) 

And they mostly go for hull and hullrepairs. :)

I'm also more in favour of limiting amount of repairs and not putting a timer on it, so as some proposed 3 repairs for rig and hull combined. 

If you can repair say 75% of your sails (3 x 25%) why wouldn't a ship repair 75% at once but only 25% wait some time, and then another 25% and then another, if repairing the 75% at once means he could survive/win the battle, same goes for hull.

Edited by The Spud

14 hours ago, Le Raf Boom said:

3 repairs seems sensible to me, and why not remove the timer? Repair to your heart's content, but only 3 times.

This.

Edited by victor

16 hours ago, Le Raf Boom said:

3 repairs seems sensible to me, and why not remove the timer? Repair to your heart's content, but only 3 times.

This is what I'm thinking. Nice and simple. 

16 hours ago, Le Raf Boom said:

That's an interesting concept.  It brings into the game the need to decide for yourself whether to repair quickly or kite.  Mistakes will occur...

Honestly leave the repairs alone if anything reduce there effectiveness of a repair, 

some ideas how ever historically correct are going to push the game to the hardcore mode again and players will leave again 

I don’t dislike any idea put forward here and some are very well thought out and put together very well, just think you need to be carefull messing/testing this repair change. 

I feel the pain of some payers seeming to have an unlimited repair I have also been on the other side so it does swing in roundabouts 

5 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

That's an interesting concept.  It brings into the game the need to decide for yourself whether to repair quickly or kite.  Mistakes will occur...

It was like this in sea trials. I would have to look up and old video but I'm 90% sure I remember correctly. 

On 5/6/2018 at 6:49 AM, Intrepido said:

Keep it simple, intuitive and fun.

3 hull repairs, 3 rig repairs per battle.

No need of complex things happening when repairing neither a great increase of the weight... 

You solve it fast so you can focus on other important things.

That is 6 repairs..... Do the math. 6*12 min. Would change nothing. 

8 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

That is 6 repairs..... Do the math. 6*12 min. Would change nothing. 

if an enemy focus you on hull or rig, it does. In big fleet engagements i have seen enemies repair up to 5-6 times the hull.

Edited by Intrepido

Weight is a decision factor. I'd say bigger than how many repairs.

Sacrificing performance before the wind to have more repair capacity over time is important.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:52 AM, admin said:

Captains. 

Lets talk about balancing of repairs. Multiple players request limitation of their numbers. Some think that they make battles much longer. 
Our goal with repairs is the following

• Provide the money sink
  • Give the option to the captain to recover from mistakes (for example the ability to repair masts only in port would be ok in a single player game but wont be ok in a multiplayer game - because no-one would like to stand still for 1.5 hours losing masts at the beginning of the battle)

As a result of this goals repairs must stay in game and captain should decide himself how many repairs he carries and how many times he can repair in battle.

What we would like to hear is your ideas on repairs that could improve combat depth (increasing importance of first proper shot and focus fire). For example - we are considering.

1. Add speed debuff when you repair sails/masts. Ships cannot repair sails/masts at speed.
  2. Add speed/water intake dependence: structural and penetrating leaks will take a lot more water if sailing fast and will take much less water if you are stationary

1. If you consider the standing/running rigging as part of this damage then you'll have crew splicing lines aloft not to mention sending up a new yard. This crew should be more vulnerable to fire - like crew on boarding prep, so you should take more crew damage whilst repairing rigging. Some repair could be done at speed but some lines would have to be slacked off to be replaced/fixed, in particular standing rigging. (Similar to changing tacks while a leak is being fixed). So yeah a reduction in speed would be good but a small percentage could be done at speed - thinking of balancing for the lone privateer players.

2. Good on the hull repair - should work like leaks water comes in more on the side you are heeled on.

Should still be some limit on repairs whether hard number, increase weight or limit the % repaired each time one is used.

• Like 1