Game-Labs Forum

1 minute ago, admin said:

Also - did not this system let you actually win and use the mechanics to your advantage?
Structure already gives debuff, if you were able to slip away was it because of your skillful positioning, or them not damaging you to a proper level (to slow you down).

I was able to slip away with maybe 20% structure damage.  I should of mentioned the lighter frigate was demasted and I had a nice split on them.  Hence going in for the board.  Instead I just sat next to him and used double ball to knock him out quickly.  Not ideal, but 1 enemy gone is worth getting banged up.  

3 minutes ago, admin said:

70 crew should be board-able if you are in a trincomalee - you are not telling everything :)

He was in a indy.  I think the crew difference was like 310 to 280ish.  I want to say he started out at 350 and I was at 325 or so.   

I think the idea of limiting repairs to a max of 2 full repairs/hull and 2 full repairs/sail would work. However, because repairs will be limited, the timer between repairs could be shortened to 5 mins.

9 minutes ago, RedPanther said:

(Kind greetings from the guy who rammed his Endy in your Trinco yesterday^^ when will you come for another visit at Belize? :ph34r:)

I flew a little too close to the sun there and let one of you tag me in the reinforcement zone.  Maybe a little cocky after the aforementioned 2v1.  Only took 3 endys, a prince, an Aggie and an oddly fast Indiaman 😭.

My beautiful purple trinc....

• Like 2

you can't limit the number of repairs in the current game, simply because players can join as late as 25 min after a battle started in some cases.

limitation coming from wight is a good thing. it is up to the player to know what he needs and what not.

• Like 4

The problem I have with repairing is that you can do it up to 10 times in any battle depending on mods, not to mention the many hundreds of crew you can bring back with rum. It's pretty unrealistic and also a big cause of unbalance and lack of PVP.

This is what extends combat beyond the point of stretched. While I like the idea of making your ship slower while repairing, lessons have taught you shouldn't hardcap player choice. What would be better is to lessen the effectiveness of repairs at full sails, and improve them at battle sails like you're gonna do with normal sailing qualities. A repair should be possible at full sail, but at a disadvantage as promote the feature not force it, adding another magic wall, decreasing immersion and throwing off balance.

Repairs should be simplified like crafting, weight limited you should only be able to at max carry 5 hull/sail repairs and only enough rum for 1 full crew refill on your ship. To do this I suggest a separate hold for repairs like the captains chests that you can hold as many repairs as you want, but your actual ship can only carry the limited amount of 5 or so. That way people are only taking those 5 repairs in battle WITHOUT the negative of having to constantly go back to port to refill your ship with repairs. When you're out of battle and back on the OW you simply open up your hold menu and drag and drop more repairs into your ships hold. You can choose any variety of 5 repairs, either 1 hull and 4 rigs or 3 hulls and 1 rig. More balance achieved that way and less tedium with carrying repairs around or arriving at a port and it not having repairs to fill your ship up.

Both realism and balance should be considered when dealing with repairs, the way we have it now is neither realistic nor balanced and is also preventing people from engaging in pvp. 

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

I'm OK with the way it is, the effect the number of repairs you carry has on performance is a factor that stops people carrying "infinite" amounts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I'm OK with the way it is, the effect the number of repairs you carry has on performance is a factor that stops people carrying "infinite" amounts.

the amounts you can carry at once are still way above what should be acceptable from a realism standpoint. No more than 5 repairs a battle, anymore stretches them out past the point of tedium, while subjectively making combat DPS based and arcade, not paced and tactful like it should be.

Edited by Slim McSauce

44 minutes ago, admin said:

70 crew should be board-able if you are in a trincomalee - you are not telling everything :)

A few days ago I fought an Indiaman with a rattlesnake I couldn't even board him as we had even crew numbers. I was able to board him as he had 70 crew left (I had 119 at this time) Determined defender should work till when 30% of the Max crew got killed and not the difference has to be 30%

• Like 1

@adminI don't know what to say at this point, you are back to magic while trying to build a realistic game. Smart move would be to add classes and skills per each class that include - buff , de buff, repairs, damage bonuses, speed bonuses etc... I am looking at potbs repairs. 

They have 3. Each have a timer and repair %, but they also have skills that cause damage and de buff, so that is different. Unless you want to add such skills then you will be able to add more repair types. This will make survival more likely.

I never liked NA repair system to end with. 

Edited by Montauban

50 minutes ago, Christendom said:

He was in a indy.  I think the crew difference was like 310 to 280ish.  I want to say he started out at 350 and I was at 325 or so.   

One would argue that this is ok because victory could not board determined redoubtable even when they lost 350 men to casualties.

• Like 2

These are some different system, that I can think of :

1) I would say, increase the weight of repairs with the current system. Keep everything same.

2) or increase the weight of repairs slightly and limit total repair to maximum 5 times, including sail/hull/crew. 

3) or make repairing never up to %100, you can never repair a hull or sail to back to %100, "historically" unrealistic ;)  

a) sail cloth and mast repair back to %90 of previous hp. So you start %100 sail, you have lots of repair mods, you start repair becomes max. %90, next time becomes %81, and so on.

b) Hull repair %80 of previous armour and hp. You start repairs, you become %80, repeat you became &64 now, and so on.

4) Old system but, if you repair hull  and you get damaged on your left side while repairing, your left side repairs slows big time and you have some crew loses as they were repairing those side. You are repairing sails, you got chained again, your sail repairs slows down. Hey your sailors are up on your sails, working, they have cannon balls, chains coming at them.

• Like 1

Being able to repair 7 times in one battle it is too much. It is good to have a system where you can recover if you did mistakes but 7 times... come on. This makes battles lasts too much when it is not needed at all (not every guy can afford 3 battles of 90 minutes duration each).

And not being able to tow repairs with the ship... you dont have an idea how many times that killed my desire of going to sail. And sorry but Im not crazy neither stupid to pay 3.5k for every repair..

• Like 3

Personally, I don't see a problem with repairs, the only problem exists in small fights where enemies run and wait for the repair timer. This could be dealt with by having inherent repairs that draw from your hull whenever you take damage and tick slower and slower if your distance to any enemies increases. It's not the most elegant but maybe it would help with the problem.

The repair problem does not exist, to the same degree, in big battles - or are we talking about 1v1s here. Frankly the game needs to decide whether it's a team game or a dueling game. If you're going to promote big battles than the repairs help your team be more cohesive, focus fire targets better. You can do whatever adjustments as long as you scale them to the size of the battle.

Another problem is raking damage/rum, it's way too easy to get on the stern of a big ship and 'decrew' it. I've killed 100s of crew in a single rake on a small ship where my target really could not possibly counter me doing it over and over. So the rum/rake technique should be rethought as well.

Edited by Le Raf Boom

Speed nerf is to punishing in my oppinion especially with chasers with chain being so strong. This would be worse than limiting repairs because you cannot disengage anymore. The 2min repairing did alot to help the combat. If you consider anything sea trials repairs were best!!! 3 repairs in total. This way you can repair masts 3 times or hull 3 times. 2 hull and 1 rig etc. This way pve players will not complain! If you want a gold sink this will not change much. 90% of battles end before 3 reps.Remove the cool down also.  I would consider doubling the price and their open sea repair to 100% of what it is. 

A Great gold sink would be to service your ship!!! If your ship gets old or has been in to many battles you need to restore its hull etc... If captains don't it could loose Armour and speed. 4/5 and 5/5 ships cost more to restore. OMG I am liking this idea more and more. Maybe a new topic??? 

• Like 4

give the captains a individual choice of how much repairs they want to take  .

every ship has its max aloud to put in the hold (hold for cargo - hold for repairs)[2 hold types]

also influence speed if you use full repair hold drastically.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pumps:

at the moment no one uses pumps (they are not important for the beginning and mid term fight)

if they are used, they are only uses in the end game of the dying ship

make pumps more important on leaks

if done so:

also influence water in the hold drastically if a ship makes 10 % water your speed is getting down by 20%

if used a better pump > better result in recover from leaks and better recovery of speed

at the  moment pumps have no influence on a fight..

that does not mean no pump>> will sink ships  <   ,but it has all to do with speed because water in the hold slows you down drastically

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

pumps need a separate slot 

at the moment some player have the rare books 

it is to much advantage against players who does not have it...(or make the rare books more available for regular captains)

if pumps become standard equipment of the ship , /or make them only available as a extra ship item in the build (what i prefer)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you want to make the ship a one of a kind, we need more possibilities to make a ship more different to build .(now only wood!!)

we need more options on ship building (within class parameters) it will also make the use of a ship more interesting

all and all within the range of the ship class (so avoiding OP ships)[premiums not included]

this kind of building will also bring a ton of different characteristics for how a fight will end  and many problems will be solved by that .

example :Build in (not to confuse with perks wich i see as experts)

(now only wood!)

-different kind of sails cloth

-pumps

-rigging type- angles on mast -sorts of mast

-ruther types

-build in fuse for explosion setting (burner)

-% crew veterans or not veterans

-officers on board (never seen a ship without officers )

-new or old guns (old guns give more crew damage [bored out use of the gun>  scrap material like glas and stones same used in call. gun]

Edited by Thonys

Just now, Thonys said:

at the moment no one uses pumps (they are not important for the beginning and mid term fight)

if they are used, they are only uses in the end game of the dying ship

Hmm, you ever have leaks? I believe thats what pumps do. Pumps have alot of influence and if they were disabled you would notice it fast :) Turn of survival for a whole battle untill the end before youre sinking. You will end up sinking to one leak. Pumps are a passive very very important thing.   

1 minute ago, Le Raf Boom said:

Another problem is raking damage/rum, it's way too easy to get on the stern of a big ship and 'decrew' it. I've killed 100s of crew in a single rake on a small ship where my target really could not possibly counter me doing it over and over. So the rum/rake technique should be rethought as well.

My main concern about this issue is that a surprise can stern rake a first rate and kill many guys. For me, it is absurd that so small ship is able to deal so great amount of kills, I would understand if a Bucentaure kills lots of guys on an Ocean but not a surprise. On Trafalgar the sternrakes were made by ships of the line against ships of the line.

2 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

My main concern about this issue is that a surprise can stern rake a first rate and kill many guys. For me, it is absurd that so small ship is able to deal so great amount of kills, I would understand if a Bucentaure kills lots of guys on an Ocean but not a surprise. On Trafalgar the sternrakes were made by ships of the line against ships of the line.

This is where brace should come in, but it's hardly ever used because you can't turn at all with it on, and it takes forever to recharge. Shouldn't be so cut and dry of a feature, more viable less effective.

Edited by Slim McSauce

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

This is where brace should come in, but it's hardly ever used because you can't turn at all with it on, and it takes forever to recharge. Shouldn't be so cut and dry of a feature.

Brace is useless. Only used when a ship is going to explode.

Still my point remains. Why so small ships are able to kill so many guys?

Is this the ball behaviour in a sternrake?

giphy.gif

Edited by Intrepido
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Brace is useless. Only used when a ship is going to explode.

pretty much. Or you can run in a straight line for 20 minutes with it on while the ship balls your stern instead of graping it, either way a pretty limited use of such a common tactic of the time.

Edited by Slim McSauce

4 hours ago, admin said:

Captains. 

Lets talk about balancing of repairs. Multiple players request limitation of their numbers. Some think that they make battles much longer. 
Our goal with repairs is the following

• Provide the money sink
  • Give the option to the captain to recover from mistakes (for example the ability to repair masts only in port would be ok in a single player game but wont be ok in a multiplayer game - because no-one would like to stand still for 1.5 hours losing masts at the beginning of the battle)

As a result of this goals repairs must stay in game and captain should decide himself how many repairs he carries and how many times he can repair in battle.

What we would like to hear is your ideas on repairs that could improve combat depth (increasing importance of first proper shot and focus fire). For example - we are considering.

1. Add speed debuff when you repair sails/masts. Ships cannot repair sails/masts at speed.
  2. Add speed/water intake dependence: structural and penetrating leaks will take a lot more water if sailing fast and will take much less water if you are stationary. 

I vote for 1 and 2 as for bold text:

With repairs as they are this is not possible becouse no way you can magicaly repair rudder and mast during battle and good sternrake should couse Heavy damage plus couse crew shock and putting you out of the fight for some time forcing allys in battle to choose protect or leave you alone.

Admin will we get redoubtable in game?

I actually think the repair systen is relatively ok even though i haven`t been around when it was drastically different as described above.

Making repairs heavier sounds reasonable to me as Long as i have the choice to take as many or few repairs as I like i am good.

The Thing I despise in the repair System is the instant Module repair. It makes no sense to me. I think modules should be harder to hit (it feels like they get hit very randomly at times) but if they do get hit it should be to a devastating effect. Maybe this is unbalanced but i feel like clicking a button and instantly repairing is very weird.

if you go with a speed reduction for/when repairs are used then you should think about allowing captains to empty their hold (of repairs only) in battle BUT including (or only) cannons to increase speed and chance of escape possibly deck by deck with a time factor 

1 minute ago, Retrin said:

if you go with a speed reduction for/when repairs are used then you should think about allowing captains to empty their hold (of repairs only) in battle BUT including (or only) cannons to increase speed and chance of escape possibly deck by deck with a time factor 

Yes disposing cannons should be an Option !!