Game-Labs Forum

Day-Night cycle in battle instances

hi Team,

I suggest that you lock down battle instance time of day and day-night settings to the state the battle was initiated in OW.

If i tag during day time, the battle will be fought daytime, if i tag night time, the battle will be fought night time. It would be a most welcome change.

It is one thing that bothers me since the beginning. 

Greetings,

Wick

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Why? The time compression in battle instances yields the equivalent of historic, multi-day battles...

You are talking about large fleet battles when the fleets were unable or unwilling to come to close action for the most part and then they broke off for the night.  Fighting at night was rare with some exceptions when the battle started late (The Nile, Constitution vs. Cyane & Levant for example). The majority of fights 1v1 or smaller squadrons were over in a matter of hours or less.

It is a major pita when you are lining up for a shot and darkness falls. Frankly I don't think it is something they can change though, in order to stay synced with the OW time.

25 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Why? The time compression in battle instances yields the equivalent of historic, multi-day battles...

C'mon now, we have fairly close to historic performance on ships, with around 1 min reload, sailing speed and turning, not so much sped up. Little faster than RL but close enough.It doesn't warrant this rapidly changing day-night cycle, in 1.5 hours how many times it changes? The multi-day engagement would be when Tag-battle-escape-tag-battle-escape-re-tag-battle sink. In this we would have a full cycle, thats fine but not within one battle. Or is it just me afraid of the dark?

3 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

You are talking about large fleet battles when the fleets were unable or unwilling to come to close action for the most part and then they broke off for the night.  Fighting at night was rare with some exceptions when the battle started late (The Nile, Constitution vs. Cyane & Levant for example). The majority of fights 1v1 or smaller squadrons were over in a matter of hours or less.

It is a major pita when you are lining up for a shot and darkness falls. Frankly I don't think it is something they can change though, in order to stay synced with the OW time.

Because it's instanced, it doesn't need to be in sync with the OW time and the engine is more than capable to handle whatever you can come up with.

42 minutes ago, Wraith said:

it looks dumb. It's not like reload speeds are compressed to >12 seconds to compensate for historical speeds, why day and night?

I was also thinking this would work well with a separate ROE for day and night battles. Say you get tagged at night you get a special ROE that puts you closer to the enemy and tighter join circle to simulate what a night battle would be. Daytime could get a larger join circle, and stay open longer as the opposed to night which would have a shorter window to reinforce.

One benefits hunters, other benefits larger scale battles and both fit well into the theme of the game.

Edited by Slim McSauce

4 hours ago, VO101_HWick said:

hi Team,

I suggest that you lock down battle instance time of day and day-night settings to the state the battle was initiated in OW.

If i tag during day time, the battle will be fought daytime, if i tag night time, the battle will be fought night time. It would be a most welcome change.

It is one thing that bothers me since the beginning. 

Greetings,

Wick

I agree, the battle instance is real time.

9 hours ago, Wraith said:

LOL, I guess my response was primarily driven by head scratching over, of all the things this game needs developers to spend time on, why the hell would this even make the list?

depends how long it would take but regardless it should be on the list.