Game-Labs Forum

Naval Officer is a Shipwright

@adminI can not understand why we do not have dedicated jobs in this game. How a Naval Officer who sails a 1st rate can become a shipwright at the same time and construct 1st rates himself and go sail around in it while hauling in a trader ship and constructing another one.  Yeah that is how messed up it is. 

Why not make it like this

Each account will start with 1 slot for a career. You can purchase more (cost should be around $5 per career slot). Each account can have 6 career slots (if you want more get another account). Introduce maximum per account structure limit. ex. you can have 6 Shipwrights, but only 25 structures. Get it? (Want more, get another account).

Careers

We could have a Trader and Shipwright careers. These would be restricted from sailing warships, but have ability to sail unique trader ships. 

We could have Buccaneer career that would allow raids (small local wars).

Cutthroat career would allow refits from pvp captured ships. 

Only Naval Officer career would allow you to sail 1st rates (and Frigates).

Privateer career would allow you to cap and return ships for money as well as unique frigates for skirmishers in port battles. 

It would be much more interesting and would also boost game sales. However, this all would require a top notch economy, admiralty and trading company mechanics. Without it I am afraid it will not work properly. 

Why was this ignored? This would triple account sales and keep people busy. If Devs reading this, there is still time... 

How to pull it off

Add careers to NA

Add reset tokens and let players create fresh toons with their new career. 

Save player valuables and ships and let them recover them when career is set up

In this case a solo players will most likely roll Naval Officer so they can sail 1st rates, 2 account holders, will have a Trader/Shipwright and Naval Officer/Privateer or Cut/Buccaneer 

3 account holders make their life easier they have NO, Priv, and Shipwright. 

Do you get my ideas here?

How would we get these ships for each career?

NPC loot (books, scraps, pages), sold on the market to all who needs it. Buy, read, learn , hop on your Shipwright toon and craft, then list it on the market for Naval Officers, Traders, Privateers, Cuts, Bucs... 

This is the content that will bring players back to NA. You can also expect $30 + $40 for extra account for every 3rd old or new player. Plus long term income. On top of that you introduce Captain club with bonuses and member content. To have all this work you need content(ships, trinkets, flags, titles etc) for each shelf and you are good to go. 

Edited by Montauban
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Each career could then have special missions,

Traders - Something like delivery missions but not broken this time

Naval Officer - Combat Orders

Shipwright - Build this ship made of this and put on sale for this much. Shop then autobuys it at a decent price.

Exactly, this is the easiest way to add tons of content and room for a future expansions. This content will boost reviews without questions.  For example Trader can have an achievement pyramid with a top reward (blueprint - war galleon) This will allow them to also participate in some light pvp. 

Edited by Montauban

There is not enough content in game to make different career paths viable, and it is a bit much to expect people to buy additional copies of the game for each career path they want to try. If you were going to have different career paths then you would need a lot more content for each path and also allow multiple characters on same account.

51 minutes ago, Archaos said:

There is not enough content in game to make different career paths viable, and it is a bit much to expect people to buy additional copies of the game for each career path they want to try. If you were going to have different career paths then you would need a lot more content for each path and also allow multiple characters on same account.

Well, you don't have to buy extra accounts, it's optional. Game already has tons of alts. Content will be created as we go. I myself hold 2 and would buy 2 career slots on one axcount and have a Priv and a Shipwright. Expand later. As a shipwright I would supply 1 account holders with ships. It's a win win. 

As a Priv I would roll with a group of otherr Privs and do Heavy Frigate battles or Join in a mixed group of NO/Priv to participate in some heavy fights (rates/heavy frigates). 

Once we have careers (shelves) we can fill each one with unique dedicated content that is only available on that shelf. This could be a game change for NA in the good way. 

Edited by Montauban

10 minutes ago, Archaos said:

He's not talking about multiple copies but multiple characters. In STO for instance you can have 3 different ones, each occupying a different branch, science, engineering or tactical respectively.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Montauban said:

Do you get my ideas here?

Great idea.. seen it suggested a number of times in 2015..  2016..  2017  and now in 2018...

I don't think it aligns with what admin is looking for even though it is standard MMO/Sandbox stuff and would, I agree, make a LOT more people be present in game.. AND the majority of the background coding is already in the game.

Personally, my first character would be a trader, but that's just me :)

Edited by Moria15

13 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

He's not talking about multiple copies but multiple characters. In STO for instance you can have 3 different ones, each occupying a different branch, science, engineering or tactical respectively.

He was meaning multiple copies otherwise how would account sales triple?

2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

the classic appeal to pockets. The idea is good but this part not so much. 3 chars per account like eve.

Edited by Slim McSauce

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

the classic appeal to pockets. The idea is good but this part not so much

I would gladly spend $5 to expand career slots vs $40 for the whole new copy. This is a much better and more secured income. 

Just now, Montauban said:

I would gladly spend $5 to expand career slots vs $40 for the whole new copy. This is a much better and more secured income. 

yeah you would, doesn't mean you should lol. 1 char per account is pretty stringent already.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archaos said:

more people coming to the game perhaps, perchance?  People coming into the game because it really is a sandbox not a one shot pony?

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

the classic appeal to pockets. The idea is good but this part not so much

I agree with the different career paths, but I do not think the game currently has enough content to divide it up. It would require a major rework to many areas of the game. For example, you can use up crafting hours in a couple of minutes in the game, what does the shipwright do after that? The economy is basic at best so traders would only be able to make money and be content for the naval officers who hunted them. 

The game would need to expand on crafting and economy a lot before such a suggestion could be viable.

3 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I agree with the different career paths, but I do not think the game currently has enough content to divide it up. It would require a major rework to many areas of the game. For example, you can use up crafting hours in a couple of minutes in the game, what does the shipwright do after that? The economy is basic at best so traders would only be able to make money and be content for the naval officers who hunted them. 

The game would need to expand on crafting and economy a lot before such a suggestion could be viable.

A stock market?  Insurance?  Investing in East India Company Voyages?

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

It would. Not much debate there, foundation needs to be laid before we can seriously talk about a change like this. But it does seem like a place NA could be in a year or so if from UI on development was on point 100% of the time with content only patches and no major reworks or turnarounds.

33 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Great idea.. seen it suggested a number of times in 2015..  2016..  2017  and now in 2018...

I don't think it aligns with what admin is looking for even though it is standard MMO/Sandbox stuff and would, I agree, make a LOT more people be present in game.. AND the majority of the background coding is already in the game.

Personally, my first character would be a trader, but that's just me :)

Why would they ignore all that treasure? ))

Trader here as well)

Edited by Montauban

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Arent perks already working this way? We kind of have perks for traders, shipwrights, navy officers and privateers.

that's an alpha development thing. Character progression should exist and not be as simple as becoming an expert in whatever you allocate your perks in. The only character progression I see outside of rank, ship xp and $$ is crafting level and ship knowledge which is RNG. Other than that you're the same as everyone else.

Edited by Slim McSauce

4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Character progression should exist and not be as simple as becoming an expert in whatever you allocate your perks in.

So easiest way would be to make suggestions to improve the current perk system? But looking at ship knowledge which is kind of a char progression as well. Its not well received and for many players a pain or isnt it?

Edited by z4ys

Just now, z4ys said:

So easiest way would be to make suggestions to improve the current perk system? 

Unironically yes.

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

But looking at ship knowledge which is kind of a char progression as well. Its not well received and for many players a pain or isnt it?

I mean it is but it's overshadowed by the books which are required to use those slots. The grinding is is part of it but it's really about getting lucky on RNG to get knowledge, a book, or you could call it a "ship perk" that sets you apart from other ships in a big way. Most people will have a 5 slot connie, but not everyone will have the best rarest books which mostly relies on RNG.

A ship knowledge tree would be real progression and make more sense. You sail more, you learn more. You specialize in boarding, you get more knowledge in boarding. Same with perks.

• Like 1