Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Just now, BCH said:

What file type are the maps and where are they located?

From my limited knowledge on Unity, you need a decompiler to even be able to read the maps, and you need to convert the entire game back into an editable project to be able to edit it which is nigh impossible without the actual development tools and resources.  

To further explain the maps, each map is divided into segments, each segment has its own position on an XYZ plane.  You will need to create a contour map for each of these segments taking into account the XYZ positions regarding elevation as well as researching the actual heights of the terrain and translating them into the game.  This is also not including the elevation problems already in some maps.  Also the more segments in a map you add, the more code you need to program into battles in order for those contour lines to load, and therefore you might increase loading times.  Also from what I saw in the code of UGG, the contour map lines seem to be several 3D images placed on each top of each other so you might have even more work to do.  

Long story short, if you want to edit the maps, you will need a lot of time, patience, and resources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyH13 said:

From my limited knowledge on Unity, you need a decompiler to even be able to read the maps, and you need to convert the entire game back into an editable project to be able to edit it which is nigh impossible without the actual development tools and resources.  

To further explain the maps, each map is divided into segments, each segment has its own position on an XYZ plane.  You will need to create a contour map for each of these segments taking into account the XYZ positions regarding elevation as well as researching the actual heights of the terrain and translating them into the game.  This is also not including the elevation problems already in some maps.  Also the more segments in a map you add, the more code you need to program into battles in order for those contour lines to load, and therefore you might increase loading times.  Also from what I saw in the code of UGG, the contour map lines seem to be several 3D images placed on each top of each other so you might have even more work to do.  

Long story short, if you want to edit the maps, you will need a lot of time, patience, and resources.

Thanks for the info..

I have the entire suite of ESRI tools at my disposal, so working in 3D and rendering elevation data into a map is not much of an issue. But if the maps themselves are compiled into the product that would be an issue. Since contour lines are not needed for the program to 'figure out' elevation differences; I was hoping all that would be necessary would be to simply create the lines that simply overlay the actual maps.

Watch here tomorrow and I will post a real world example.

10 hours ago, madmatg said:

Just now hitting Shiloh and I concur, it is very difficult! d:

Right now, I am looking at what forces the CSA AI brings into Shiloh as I continue to load my camp before Shiloh and then play it.

With the goal of making it a challenge but with more balance I believe you can have one of the following conditions but not both:

1. High total of large brigades for CSA

2. High CSA veterancy (mostly 3* and 2*)

If CSA veterancy is going to be high; the brigade sizes should be smaller, e.g. You should rarely see a split brigade of 3,010 ea, nor a single brigade of 3,695.

If CSA  brigade size is going to be high, veterancy should be less.

Edited by BCH

12 hours ago, BCH said:

Right now, I am looking at what forces the CSA AI brings into Shiloh as I continue to load my camp before Shiloh and then play it.

With the goal of making it a challenge but with more balance I believe you can have one of the following conditions but not both:

1. High total of large brigades for CSA

2. High CSA veterancy (mostly 3* and 2*)

If CSA veterancy is going to be high; the brigade sizes should be smaller, e.g. You should rarely see a split brigade of 3,010 ea, nor a single brigade of 3,695.

If CSA  brigade size is going to be high, veterancy should be less.

The problem with adding those kind of conditions is that they are very difficult to make generic enough to work across multiple difficulties and army setups. 3k and 3.7k brigades would be very small for people building max sized units. Veterancy is largely a factor of difficulty and campaign status and any set rules around it would have similar issues. 

The variance mode is intended to have the chance to generate battle setups which are difficult or impossible to win. I will turn it off by default in the next patch.

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

I will turn it off by default in the next patch

The variance mode makes it interesting and adds unpredictability to the battles; I would not get in a hurry to turn it off. Bull Run is an example of a major battle that is much more interesting with it turned on.

More on contours:

In the first screen shot, all the data behind the contours sits in the background. 3D analysis can be performed without showing the contours themselves.

In the following screenshot, the contour lines have been rendered from the data in the background:

Once rendered, the 10ft contours (derived from a LIDAR point cloud, feel free to Google that for more info) can simply be a graphic which provides a visual representation of the data. This is all that a player really needs in the game, simply a graphic of the data. The player does not need to click on a contour line to get the elevation; a bit of familiarity with topographical maps and the existing graphics would be enough to determine if a location is on the top of a hill or not.

Unfortunately, i.t does not appear that this simple solution could be easily adopted for the game

Edited by BCH
  • Like 2

20180831140021_1.thumb.jpg.bbaa441332f3567ac8d3bba86b5682f1.jpg

(I know this is nothing different from what people have been saying but just figured I'd post it)

This was my second try at shiloh, both times had similar sizes of both sizes of the battle. I really felt good with the slow retreat but eventually a lack of supplies crippled the arty to where they couldn't repel the charges and then I was done for. The units of reinforcements that come at hornets nest were great but definitely needed at least one more group of reinforcements or at an extra supply truck to come up to resupply the arty. Finally lost at 2 hours left.

52 minutes ago, madmatg said:

This was my second try at shiloh, both times had similar sizes of both sizes of the battle. I really felt good with the slow retreat but eventually a lack of supplies crippled the arty to where they couldn't repel the charges and then I was done for. The units of reinforcements that come at hornets nest were great but definitely needed at least one more group of reinforcements or at an extra supply truck to come up to resupply the arty. Finally lost at 2 hours left.

If you put together 1-2 cheap cavalry units you can usually steal 1-2 wagons from the AI so you can start resupplying before phase 2 opens. After the hornets nest opens up you should have access to your 2 corps worth of supply? Or are you running through that as well?

@BCHI forget are Buell's reinforcements the ones that come during the hornets nest phase? If so I did, if there are other reinforcements that show up in the final phase at pitts landing then no.

@pandakraut - Only had one corps fighting here, that's probably my problem, I was buffing up training thinking for the long term but I guess I need to be spending points on AM and econ so I can afford to field more men. The 1-2 cav units sound good also I just couldn't figure out how to fit them in my only corps. With 2 corps should be easier.

9 minutes ago, madmatg said:

if there are other reinforcements that show up in the final phase at pitts landing then no.

Those are the ones of which I am speaking; I have yet to see them at the Landing phase. I was down to 2:33 and did not see them, you were down to 2:00 and did not see them.

I am wondering if anyone playing 1.22d is seeing them in the Landing phase...

3 hours ago, JonnyH13 said:

If you look on the battle report prior to starting the battle you can see what allied troops will be on the field that day.  

I understand that.

The second corp due during the Landing phase has  not shown up in about 14 battles now in a row. I do not expect them when I only hold the Landing to the 4 minute mark, but sort of expected them when I was down to about 2 minutes.

2 hours ago, BCH said:

I understand that.

The second corp due during the Landing phase has  not shown up in about 14 battles now in a row. I do not expect them when I only hold the Landing to the 4 minute mark, but sort of expected them when I was down to about 2 minutes.

do you mean hours, not minutes? 1 division of Buell's Corps should arrive 1 hour before end of day 1.

3 hours ago, BCH said:

By second corps do you mean your 2nd corps? Or the AI reinforcements? Both showed up fine for me, here is the later set at 14:50.

1334989566_BuellsReinforcements.thumb.png.12493163a09b0c18329a5c17cd60f2c9.png

Battle Changes
- Fortifications now no longer reduce damage or reload speed. 
- Union gunboats damage brought in line with other cannons outside of the tutorial battles.
- Size of CSA units decreased somewhat at Shiloh.

Bug Fixes
- Colt RR and Colt M1855 removed from AI adaptation weapons since they don't properly show up in the shop when captured.
- Capturing artillery units at Potomac Fort and Nansemond River will now still trigger the destroy batteries victory condition.
- Muskets now back to 300 range.

8 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Each brigade can only target one unit. Units do deal collateral damage in a weapon specific radius. Is that what you were asking about?

I must have been observing an extreme case of collateral damage; I had a Union brigade taking damage from a single CSA Brigade and was watching the counter spin like a gas pump display. Then an adjacent Union Skirmisher unit began taking damage and was destroyed, and another Union brigade immediately behind the first began to have its counter spin down as well. No other CSA brigades or artillery were within range of the Union units.

A screen shot is not going to show any of that.

What is everyone using to record a battle?

9 hours ago, pandakraut said:

By second corps do you mean your 2nd corps? Or the AI reinforcements? Both showed up fine for me, here is the later set at 14:50.

AI reinforcements, I have been down to the same time setting of 14:50 and have not seen the AI reinforcements. Could just be bad luck on my part.