Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Still somewhat reasonable, but now shear numbers along will soon overwhelm the Union front line. The Union gunboats seem about effective as 6pdrs in 1.21; the other thing that I have noticed, CSA batteries are getting kill rates at long range like canister at short range. Union units are sometime losing 20 or more at extreme long range from CSA batteries.

Edited by BCH

Not reasonable now..

CSA brigades of 3916, 2763, 2114, 2286, 2896, 2977 for a total of 16,952 in only 6 CSA brigades. Trabue with 3,916 in the woods on Union left could not be routed even after being flanked and taking fire from the gun boats and two top Union batteries. That tied up Union brigades needed for defense of the VP.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca17b01f4be56cbc5f20301160697d35.jpeg

8 minutes ago, JonnyH13 said:

The Ship Cannon are unchanged from base game.  And they were terrible to begin with anyways so it is not unexpected.  That may change though.  Busy with real life stuff though...

Must have just seemed more effective with smaller CSA units; I do not remember CSA units just sitting on the Union left flank in the base game.

real life stuff.. speaking of which, off to work on some conference presentations here

Thanks for you answer.

Falling back is definitely difficult as the higher veterancy CSA units will usually have more speed perks than you will. Delaying skirmishers are my preference as the AI is very willing to just stand and fire at them while everyone else escapes.

That screenshot looks decent though definitely get that artillery out of the fortified positions if you haven't been. With the amount of artillery you have both Cutts units, woods and trimble need to be moved north of the VP or slightly northwest of it. If you can keep them out of the woods so they do maximum damage, counterbattery fire should be limited. You want at least double lines at the VP and the trees to the west of it as most of the charges will hit there and you can't afford to lose either location. The lines closer to the river can be weaker as you can afford to get pushed back there a bit.

12 hours ago, BCH said:

Still somewhat reasonable, but now shear numbers along will soon overwhelm the Union front line. The Union gunboats seem about effective as 6pdrs in 1.21; the other thing that I have noticed, CSA batteries are getting kill rates at long range like canister at short range. Union units are sometime losing 20 or more at extreme long range from CSA batteries.

The big thing I notice in this screenshot is you have no units on your far right. You need skirmishers and such in this area to constantly try and hit any flank you can and prevent the CSA from spreading out and enveloping you like what happens in the later screenshot. Somewhat true for your far left as well. Even just having skirmishers over there to move in and out of vision will disrupt the AI's attacks. Also, always be considering if it's worth being in fortifications or not. They will lower your damage, but allow you to take reduced damage. On the far ends of the line I would not use them most of the time if you have tree cover available. There are also two AI artillery batteries on the flanks that could be hit by sniper fire currently.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

The big thing I notice in this screenshot is you have no units on your far right. You need skirmishers and such in this area to constantly try and hit any flank you can and prevent the CSA from spreading out and enveloping you like what happens in the later screenshot. Somewhat true for your far left as well. Even just having skirmishers over there to move in and out of vision will disrupt the AI's attacks. Also, always be considering if it's worth being in fortifications or not. They will lower your damage, but allow you to take reduced damage. On the far ends of the line I would not use them most of the time if you have tree cover available. There are also two AI artillery batteries on the flanks that could be hit by sniper fire currently.

What is not seen in that screenshot is that there are three  Union units back around Shiloh Church that I waited too long to sneak up on that flank. Similarly, there is a full strength Union Cav. (500) in the middle; I also waited too long to bring them up.

I believe one of the keys for me at least is to fine tune my Union order of battle; putting my II Corp at Shiloh Church allowed me to get most of I Corp back to the Landing intact, but the order was a mess.

I am going to experiment with different division configurations in both Corp, so that I know exactly what units come in where and when on the map for reinforcements, etc. For example, since holding the Landing is absolutely essential; it makes sense for the better artillery to come in either very close or at the Landing proper. Shiloh Church or either of the other VPs can be easily recaptured by a cavalry unit in the end game as long as the Landing is held.

The AI even on MG seems to be very careless about its flanks as it moves toward the Landing, missing Union units sitting in the woods on both its flanks. I going to see if I can exploit that mistake by the AI.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Guardian said:

Could you continue to improve this modification? And... is this working on the GOG version?

The mod is still under active development Jonny and I have just been busy lately so haven't made a lot of progress recently.

After some additional tests the modified steam dlls do not appear to be compatible with the GoG version even if the patch version is the same. When I get the time I'll pick up a GoG copy and see if I can get it to work.

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 1

Installed Mod. Game ran perfectly and mod features are functioning. Finished all battles as  the Confederate up to 1st Bull Run. Clearly had won the battle after holding Henry House Hill as Confederates. Union forces all defeated or visably withdrawing. 'Finish' button appeared when expected. Clicked to Finish. Goes to Victory screen. Click to close Victory screen and the battlefield returns in full view with units in place and still moveable. Could not find ANY way to 'end' the battle. Couldn't even back out of the game. Finally had to close via Ctl-Alt-Del. Reloaded from last Save point. Refought final 1/3 of the battle. Again with the Finish screen coming up, then it goes to the Victory screen, then right back to the battle.... This certainly appears to be a definite bug in the mod as I have never had this happen in a year and nearly 1000 hours of play in the non-modded game, vanilla game. Love the mod and thanks, but whatever is causing this needs to be rooted out in a hurry.

Thanks!

Edited by tonyc_25
spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyc_25 said:

Installed Mod. Game ran perfectly and mod features are functioning. Finished all battles as  the Confederate up to 1st Bull Run. Clearly had won the battle after holding Henry House Hill as Confederates. Union forces all defeated or visably withdrawing. 'Finish' button appeared when expected. Clicked to Finish. Goes to Victory screen. Click to close Victory screen and the battlefield returns in full view with units in place and still moveable. Could not find ANY way to 'end' the battle. Couldn't even back out of the game. Finally had to close via Ctl-Alt-Del. Reloaded from last Save point. Refought final 1/3 of the battle. Again with the Finish screen coming up, then it goes to the Victory screen, then right back to the battle.... This certainly appears to be a definite bug in the mod as I have never had this happen in a year and nearly 1000 hours of play in the non-modded game, vanilla game. Love the mod and thanks, but whatever is causing this needs to be rooted out in a hurry.

Thanks!

That's likely something with the officer replacement changes breaking. I played through that battle very recently so I don't think the bug is something consistent. It sounds like you have an in battle save? Would you be able to send it to me? Save file location is C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate General Civil War. Save file names are not human readable, so the easiest way to find the right one is to load the save, save it under a new name and then sort the save folder by date.

Edited by pandakraut

Mod is FANTASTIC it's like a new game so thank you very much for your time, however, I have noticed that Chancellorsville (2nd day) just ends as soon as you press start, battle for Salem Church ends in defeat as soon as you press start, and Chickamauga, second day ends ending in defeat as soon as start is pressed. hope this info helps

51 minutes ago, tomollany said:

Mod is FANTASTIC it's like a new game so thank you very much for your time, however, I have noticed that Chancellorsville (2nd day) just ends as soon as you press start, battle for Salem Church ends in defeat as soon as you press start, and Chickamauga, second day ends ending in defeat as soon as start is pressed. hope this info helps

I think these were all related to extending the end of day timer. I checked those battles with that fixed and didn't encounter any issues. I was hoping to include another bug fix for whatever was breaking closing the victory screen at bull run as well but I haven't been able to recreate it. If I don't get more information on that by tonight I'll release what I do have ready then. Thanks for your patience, happy to hear you're enjoying the mod.

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 1

Regarding the 1st Bull Run battle and it not finishing... I replayed the entire 1st Bull Run battle from an 'In Camp' save point just prior to the battle start in the same campaign I had the problem in. Won again as before. This time all worked perfectly and as normal. Perhaps the officer who was replaced in the previous attempt did not get replaced this time? That would certainly fit your theroy.

I am sending along the file you requested. This was the only file listed on the date of the issue. I find it curious that it has 0 KB of data. All other files on many other dates in that folder have data. All I can assume is that due to the fact I had no way to close (and thus 'save' the game in question) other than Ctl-Alt-Del, no data was stored.

Rick W

9otz9r1h.oc8

Edited by tonyc_25
spelling

Just a question about rifles:  Is there any benefit to purchasing the more expensive ones like the Enfields or Lorenz?  It seems like the SF 1855 and especially the HF 1855 have the most bang for their buck.  Am I missing something regarding the stats? I set up a spreadsheet to show high accuracy and low accuracy damages and multiplied everything by the rate of fire and aside from the Whitworths and Henrys, nothing seems close.

another day, another loss at Shiloh..

Closer to a victory this time though, I managed to string out the CSA units by using  skirmishers along the flanks. Routed the CSA brigades that captured the VP, but could not regain the VP in time to stave off the loss.

After about a dozen experiments with the Union Order of Battle,  I have a better idea about how to distribute my divisions to get the strongest close to the Landing. (more on that in a separate thread when I have a chance).

My strongest divisions came out of it relatively intact, I decided to play on to Gaines Mills.. what a disaster that was.  Faced 3:1 odds but eked out a draw that caused the Confederates to lose over half of their infantry. (24,521 out of 42,738) But it pretty much cost me an entire Corp to do that

10 hours ago, pandakraut said:

@BCH I think the latest changes should help slightly? Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

Artillery capture and the end of day bugs should be fixed. Note the config files have been moved and are now located at Ultimate General Civil War_data/Mod/Rebalance.

From a mid-1800 military tactics point of view, I understand how it should work. I just need to maneuver my units into position faster/better within the game and account for some of the 'game balance' issues. Forcing the other side into frontal attacks and then flanking the attacks works well; order of battle in the major battles is more important than it might appear.

thanks for the update.