Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

31 minutes ago, BCH said:

How does this impact campaigns already started?

Using the new version with an existing campaign should be fine.

32 minutes ago, BCH said:

And did you see my note on an additional bug in my campaign thread?

Responded there, but no immediate ideas on what would cause that. You seem favored with rare bugs :)

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

You seem favored with rare bugs :)

Dates back to the days when Philippe Kahn was CEO of Borland and I was using their Paradox relational database; kept finding odd bugs, and usually when I called tech support it would be "hey, the coder for that section just came back from lunch.. let me get them on the phone.."

There is an issue with the 1.21 package where the dll name did not get updated prior to being uploaded. I can't update it until Jonny is back online, so for now in your Ultimate General Civil War_Data/Managed folder rename Assembly-CSharpRelease1.21.tmp to Assembly-Csharp.dll

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, quicksabre said:

I haven't been able to play for a couple of months, but I finally have a bit of free time and started up a campaign in the mod (so it is working for me on a Mac, too!). Really nice work, I'm enjoying it immensely!

So as it turns out the modded Assembly-Csharp.dll still doesn't work on my computer - I could use the other modded files without it (with updated weapons and perks and maybe a few other things? I did notice the charging artillery bug) and the game used the default Assembly-Csharp.dll file that wasn't replaced. Still enjoying it, though!

10 minutes ago, quicksabre said:

So as it turns out the modded Assembly-Csharp.dll still doesn't work on my computer - I could use the other modded files without it (with updated weapons and perks and maybe a few other things? I did notice the charging artillery bug) and the game used the default Assembly-Csharp.dll file that wasn't replaced. Still enjoying it, though!

Did a prior version of the modified dll work for you? Or is it just the new one that is failing?

25 minutes ago, BCH said:

I am guessing it is best just to download the fixed version 1.21 rather than rename the .dll

Depending on your familiarity with this kind of thing. Re-downloading and repeating the install instructions is probably simplest. 

35 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Depending on your familiarity with this kind of thing.

Well I have a little experience with those types of things.. started on a PDP-11 at work, and entered the PC world with an IBM AT pre-DOS 4.0; first online game was Trade Wars through a BBS.

That still doesn't get me a cup of coffee, but  it has been interesting.

I was just thinking that downloading the corrected zip file would give people a proper back up.

6 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Did a prior version of the modified dll work for you? Or is it just the new one that is failing?

I haven't tried the mod since you created the mac-friendly version in June.

It's fine, please don't worry about trying to make it work on my computer, I was just sharing for information purposes in case others have similar issues!

19 minutes ago, quicksabre said:

It's fine, please don't worry about trying to make it work on my computer, I was just sharing for information purposes in case others have similar issues!

Feel free to PM me if you change your mind and I'll do what I can.

Any feedback on the AI change to get them to not stop in rivers would be very helpful. It seemed to be working well on my legendary tests, but the results so far have been very disappointing on MG. The issues seem to be persisting even if I remove that code though, so maybe something else is going on. My current results have been that units are stopping on the bull run bridge and rarely moving forward to attack and on newport news units rout into the river and then just get stuck.

Now that I have the correct version of 1.21; I reiterate my previous comments with some edits.

Note on Ver. 1.21:

Scaling seems different - still seems different, but for the better

AI CSA units seem more aggressive - definitely aggressive, did not see any widely different strategies on Logan's Crossing

Artillery shot and canister damage reduction has little impact on effectiveness of batteries - same opinion, my 14 Gun Napoleon battery, 14 gun 6pdr Battery, and 12 gun 10prd Ord. Battery on Logan's Crossing were just as effective tonight with the 1.21 version, as they were last night on the 1.20 version

Artillery speed changes require micromanagement to take advantage of terrain for movement; i.e. do not just straight line artillery to destination especially through wooded areas. - still true even though I was actually playing 1.20; I went back and looked at  a 1.20 version battle; untrained units of course moved slower than trained batteries with perks. With 1.21 on Logan's Crossroads I believe my battery of Horse Artillery (6pdrs) moved a lot faster than the battery of 10pdr Ord. This speed change may actually encourage players to use the 6pdr and 12pdr How.  as they were actually used.. Horse Artillery, able to quickly support a line.

** I did not see any killed or wounded officers replaced as described by the ChangeLogV1.21; I still needed to replace officers when back in camp post battle. - It now works. This is great! Simulates what actually happened in many battles during the Civil War, junior officers finding themselves in charge.

6 minutes ago, BCH said:

Artillery shot and canister damage reduction has little impact on effectiveness of batteries

The reduction was 5% so it's probably not that noticeable. Maybe it should have been more. Will have to see how it averages out with the speed reductions.

29 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Any feedback on the AI change to get them to not stop in rivers would be very helpful. It seemed to be working well on my legendary tests, but the results so far have been very disappointing on MG. The issues seem to be persisting even if I remove that code though, so maybe something else is going on. My current results have been that units are stopping on the bull run bridge and rarely moving forward to attack and on newport news units rout into the river and then just get stuck.

On Bull Run, at the ford above Stone Bridge the CSA cavalry unit seems to almost always get stuck on about the third or fourth attempt to cross the ford. This only happens I believe when a Union unit is directly blocking the ford. Any CSA units attempting to cross the ford, are always flanked by Union artillery.

I have mostly sent the Ohio brigade to block the Cav unit until Sherman arrives; I have had the Ohio brigade also get stuck trying to cross the ford.

Now that I really have 1.21, I will restart my campaign; I will do some experimentation with the ford and Stone bridge and get back to you.

1 minute ago, BCH said:

On Bull Run, at the ford above Stone Bridge the CSA cavalry unit seems to almost always get stuck on about the third or fourth attempt to cross the ford. This only happens I believe when a Union unit is directly blocking the ford. Any CSA units attempting to cross the ford, are always flanked by Union artillery.

This one I'm sure used to happen before I started changing things. Units getting stuck in rivers when routing has always been an issue, it's just suddenly much more prevalent. Maybe I'm just having really bad rng, but more data is needed. 

2 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Maybe it should have been more

Let me have the historical 30pdr Parrots that started the Bull Run Battle at Stone bridge and I will support a little less damage over all ;)

8 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Units getting stuck in rivers when routing has always been an issue

It is however historic; retreating back across a river usually had dire consequences for the unit that did so.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, madmatg said:

Just tried out a battle at Potomoc Fort on MG, afterwards both of my inf regiments were at 80 or above on firearms, seems like it's still progressing the same speed as the prior update

That's higher than I got, but I agree it's still increasing to fast. If you want to experiment with it you can increase the shootPerFirearms value in the Mod/UnitModifiers.csv file. 1.21 increased the value from 550 to 600 for reference.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:01 PM, pandakraut said:

My current results have been that units are stopping on the bull run bridge and rarely moving forward to attack

My first battle with Bull Run had the CSA cavalry still get stuck at the ford north of the Stone Bridge; they do not seem to get stuck until the Union Scouts arrive and are place near the ford.

Unit placement:

As far as the Stone Bridge goes, the CSA units had no problem crossing it. First a skirmisher unit, then CSA cav, then Hampton Legion (not sure how they got there, they were routed northeast of Matthews Hill).

About to restart the battle from a save.. I'll watch Stone Bridge action again.

Edited by BCH

16 hours ago, BCH said:

About to restart the battle from a save.. I'll watch Stone Bridge action again. 

I did two restarts on Bull Run, I observed no issues at the Stone Bridge for either side (would have been happy to see Hampton's Legion get stuck..)

I kept a close eye on the streams  during the second restart as I played through the battle (perhaps too close because this was an extremely messy win), other than the CSA cavalry, no unit was stuck.

26 minutes ago, BCH said:

I did two restarts on Bull Run, I observed no issues at the Stone Bridge for either side (would have been happy to see Hampton's Legion get stuck..)

I kept a close eye on the streams  during the second restart as I played through the battle (perhaps too close because this was an extremely messy win), other than the CSA cavalry, no unit was stuck.

Thanks for the input, maybe I just had bad luck with the frequency on my attempts.