Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

1 hour ago, philip79 said:

Have problem with this great mod. Crashing to desktop at startup with no errors. The game was patched to v1.11.

Same problem have withUI and AI Customizations Mod

This usually means that the configuration files used by the mod are in the wrong place. If you extract the zip in your Ultimate General Civil War_data folder you should see a Mod/Rebalance or Mod/UIAICustomizations folder where the config files are stored.

Are you on a Mac or using a GoG version of the game?

20 hours ago, pandakraut said:

This usually means that the configuration files used by the mod are in the wrong place. If you extract the zip in your Ultimate General Civil War_data folder you should see a Mod/Rebalance or Mod/UIAICustomizations folder where the config files are stored.

Are you on a Mac or using a GoG version of the game?

I think its unziped in good place (Ultimate General Civil War_Data  folder) and have Mod/Rebalance folder,

conf. files: resources.assets  and  Assembly-CSharp.dll are overwrited.

Im tried the deleting conf files in gamedata folder, without effect.

Using a GoG version, updated to latest ver 1.11.

This is my best strategy, and Im depressed :( because this mods are so great job.

Edited by philip79

I've discovered an oversight which has triggered twice in a row (Hard Confederate campaign mission 1):

The objectives of The Potomac Fort are:

Destroy Battery A

Destroy Battery B

Capture Fort

All need to be completed to get a victory instead of a defeat.

But if your attack on the fort forces one of the batteries to surrender it does not count as destroyed. (Since batteries don't surrender in the base game they don't have coding to handle this.)

This means that I've wiped out the entire Union force and yet been informed that I'd been Defeated.

This is a little bit frustrating, as I'm sure you can imagine! I'm going to try saving before my assault on the fort and reloading if I haven't "destroyed" both batteries A and B in the assault.

8 hours ago, philip79 said:

I think its unziped in good place (Ultimate General Civil War_Data  folder) and have Mod/Rebalance folder,

conf. files: resources.assets  and  Assembly-CSharp.dll are overwrited.

Im tried the deleting conf files in gamedata folder, without effect.

Using a GoG version, updated to latest ver 1.11.

This is my best strategy, and Im depressed :( because this mods are so great job.

GoG is the issue. The dll is slightly different than the one used by steam. I know what the fix is now but unfortunately I won't be able to get it uploaded until next week. Should have it up by the 16th or 17th. Sorry for trying delay.

2 hours ago, Saphroneth said:

I've discovered an oversight which has triggered twice in a row (Hard Confederate campaign mission 1):

The objectives of The Potomac Fort are:

Destroy Battery A

Destroy Battery B

Capture Fort

All need to be completed to get a victory instead of a defeat.

But if your attack on the fort forces one of the batteries to surrender it does not count as destroyed. (Since batteries don't surrender in the base game they don't have coding to handle this.)

This means that I've wiped out the entire Union force and yet been informed that I'd been Defeated.

This is a little bit frustrating, as I'm sure you can imagine! I'm going to try saving before my assault on the fort and reloading if I haven't "destroyed" both batteries A and B in the assault.

Just to confirm, you have the latest version? I haven't been able to recreate this issue after the last patch. Were any of the objective batteries split into two brigades for you?

I'll take a look at this again when I can but it will be a bit before I can get to it. Sorry for the bugs.

Well then, for those curious about the scaling overall while in vanilla Confederate campaign on max difficulty it stops working (enemy starts to bring significantly less troops than it previosly could) when you kill around 1 million yankees in this rebalance mod it stops working when you kill around 2,5 million yankees in the same campaign on same difficulty.
I tested it with cheating myself manpower, money and perk points by cheat engine and right before Cold Harbor battle yankees essentially broke their neck. (Could do 2,5m kills sooner but preferred to use somewhat garbage guns my troops could hold on)

Other important note, imho, game maps are not suitable for 6000 max divisions, they are too huge for those tiny maps. Both the enemy and myself found troublesome to navigate those huge stacks around. It could be somewhat worked out with vanilla snipers but since this mod rebalances distance of fire for most of guns towards 400 it was horrendous. Entrenched troops are even more overpowered  since they take less space and as per usual game bug those troops located on the same spot can shoot too. Counter-battery fire starts to play significant role and if not for retarded AI sometimes seemed to wanting to charge his artillery into melee his artillery would be quite frightening thing to behold - for the same reason, maps are too small for the enhanced battles that the mod is providing.
(Also, more available for participation in battle brigades rarely leads for game engine to crash itself when it has too much info to calculate on and the only two solutions were to move less troops around or even take less brigades than possible for the battle to get rid of this problem..)

The one bug of the mod I found hilarious is that if you are given allied troops in the battle and they are divided into several smaller ones by the mod's script while the original brigade was entrenched - those several brigades are entrenched into the same trench, lol.

14 hours ago, DrunkVision said:

Also, more available for participation in battle brigades rarely leads for game engine to crash itself when it has too much info to calculate on and the only two solutions were to move less troops around or even take less brigades than possible for the battle to get rid of this problem

Any specific examples you can provide where this happened? What we have seen so far is that some of the larger battles will break if we double the amount of brigades on both sides, but we've never seen it crash just from the increased deployment sizes.

Also, any details you can provide on the AI starting to bring significantly less troops? Post Cold Harbor the AI units are no longer about the same size as your own? With the existing minimum size restrictions I would have expected that to continue all the way to the end of the campaign. As far as I'm aware there is no total manpower limit or anything like that, though I certainly could have overlooked something.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

Any specific examples you can provide where this happened? What we have seen so far is that some of the larger battles will break if we double the amount of brigades on both sides, but we've never seen it crash just from the increased deployment sizes.

Also, any details you can provide on the AI starting to bring significantly less troops? Post Cold Harbor the AI units are no longer about the same size as your own? With the existing minimum size restrictions I would have expected that to continue all the way to the end of the campaign. As far as I'm aware there is no total manpower limit or anything like that, though I certainly could have overlooked something.

I'm sorry, but I'm long past the phase were I encountered those crashes. Sorry about that.

Regarding less troops - well, I just did the same I did while filthy cheating in vanilla - maxing out my brigades sizes and massacring as much enemies as I could per every battle. Both in vanilla and in a mod game at a certain threshold assumes that you massacred yankees (in a case of confederate campaign) so much that it doesn't even matter whether you lose after it or win your battles and on the end game screen of DEFEAT it writes down in the first paragraph of your noble defeat and on the second one.. about how your troops marched to Washington and how Confederacy won (with your position after the war being decided by the perk points taken) so I assume that it was intended game feature rewarding those extremely efficient pro players.

So, the detail is a simple one, I just maxed out my brigades while doing every side mission and enemy did maxed out their brigades in every single major battle until Cold Harbor where it brought around 2100-2500 men per infantry brigade and around 20 gun per gun brigade instead of maxing it to 6000 men brigades and 50 gun brigades respectively. Again, I did massacred around 2,5 million yankees to achieve it which surely impossible thing to do without some hacks or being God Almighty himself. The 1 million of enemy casualties applied in vanilla was achievable, though, and this threshold was apparent for veteran players. I could only assume that you maxing out max manpower of brigades from 2500 to 6000 in your mod has something to do with that triggering some hidden parameter of the game and changing it's multiplier of the threshold.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:26 AM, pandakraut said:

Just to confirm, you have the latest version? I haven't been able to recreate this issue after the last patch. Were any of the objective batteries split into two brigades for you?

I'll take a look at this again when I can but it will be a bit before I can get to it. Sorry for the bugs.

So, why fix dont have any link for gog ver in this forum?

On 10/9/2018 at 12:39 AM, pandakraut said:

I only very recently found out that there was a need for separate GoG version. I'm travelling this week but will get a GoG version added as soon as I can.

Im instaled UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.4, but must install all versions, from older (v1.1) to actual (v1.4), and then game run without problems.

Im thinking about installing this mod (rebalance and customization) , the same way, but cant see older ver than v1.23a.

ps. sry for my eng, Im from Poland :)

Edited by philip79

6 hours ago, philip79 said:

Im instaled UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.4, but must install all versions, from older (v1.1) to actual (v1.4), and then game run without problems.

Im thinking about installing this mod (rebalance and customization) , the same way, but cant see older ver than v1.23a.

ps. sry for my eng, Im from Poland :)

You really shouldn't need to have installed all versions of the customizations mod. The later versions will mostly overwrite any files from the earlier ones.

With the Rebalance mod several config files moved in 1.23 so older versions wouldn't be helpful. The fix to get the Rebalance mod working with GoG is very quick on my end, I'm just away from home for a few more days so I can't make the changes yet.

All of the features in the Customizations mod are already included in the Rebalance mod. They should not be installed together as they will not work correctly.

10 hours ago, pandakraut said:

You really shouldn't need to have installed all versions of the customizations mod. The later versions will mostly overwrite any files from the earlier ones.

With the Rebalance mod several config files moved in 1.23 so older versions wouldn't be helpful. The fix to get the Rebalance mod working with GoG is very quick on my end, I'm just away from home for a few more days so I can't make the changes yet.

All of the features in the Customizations mod are already included in the Rebalance mod. They should not be installed together as they will not work correctly.

Is there a chance, to working mod with oryginal Assembly-CSharp.dll   ???? (of course GOG ver)

I do this, and unpack the mod without replacing Assembly-CSharp.dll  . Then game run (at least), and I think mod working (maybe only particulary),

but see longer weapon range, fire radius and the diferent description and names of weapons.

How can I check, the mod is fully working?

56 minutes ago, philip79 said:

Is there a chance, to working mod with oryginal Assembly-CSharp.dll   ???? (of course GOG ver)

I do this, and unpack the mod without replacing Assembly-CSharp.dll  . Then game run (at least), and I think mod working (maybe only particulary),

but see longer weapon range, fire radius and the diferent description and names of weapons.

How can I check, the mod is fully working?

While the game will run you will not be getting all of the mod changes. What you are seeing is only the changes that have been made in the assets file. This includes weapon changes, perk changes, some battle changes, and some career point changes. 

20 hours ago, JonnyH13 said:

Uploaded GOG compatible version.  

GoG ver works 100%

Thanks, Great Job!!!

Because my english is not so good (I'm trying to learn it quickly 😉 ), I have little problems witch searching some topics on the forum. So I have some questions:

1. UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.4, has some interesting changes too. Is there any sense to install both mods?

2. The game has a graphic bug with visual presentation the size of brigades. Sometimes 2000 men brigade visualy looks like 500 men. Artillery and cavalry has that problem too. This is not a big problem, but frustrating. Is there any mod that fixes that?

3. In my opinion the game has a big historical realism problem. This problem was solved in old classic "Sid Meyer's Gettysburg". In that game all brigades has a big morale bonus when they have friendly units on flanks, even on the rear, and a minor morale drop when they don't have save flanks (Im not talking about situation when a unit is flanked or attack). Is there any mod that solves this problem?

4. The next realism bug (in my opinion) are situation when soldiers reloading their weapons with the same speed when they standing, when moving, and even when runing or reatreating. Is there any mod that solves this?

Edited by philip79

1) Everything in the customizations mod is already included in the Rebalance mod. The mods also will not work together so definitely only install one of them at a time.

2) I've tried to change the amount of sprites that display based on the amount of men but have not succeeded in improving anything.

3) We are experimenting with giving units a morale regeneration bonus when multiple allied units are nearby. This won't quite be the same as SMG but it's as close as we can get currently. That change isn't released yet, we're working on a complete revamp of the combat system to hopefully reduce the ridiculous casualty rates.

4) Reloading speed is reduced when falling back or retreating. In the Rebalance Mod we have set it to nearly 0. It may be possible to reduce it while running or walking but would have to look into it more. 

Ok so I download the mod and extract into (Ultimate General Civil War_Data)  folder but I dont get an option to overwrite. So I manually take the data files out and overwrite them but when i launch the game, it gets stuck on the loading screen, nothing happens. What's going on?  I must be doing something wrong because most people seem to be working fine.  

Edited by GeneralRubenski
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, GeneralRubenski said:

Ok so I download the mod and extract into (Ultimate General Civil War_Data)  folder but I dont get an option to overwrite. So I manually take the data files out and overwrite them but when i launch the game, it gets stuck on the loading screen, nothing happens. What's going on?  I must be doing something wrong because most people seem to be working fine.  

If you get stuck on the loading screen that usually means that the config files in the Mod/Rebalance folder aren't being found. Are you using GoG, Steam, or a Mac?

Edited by pandakraut

On 10/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, pandakraut said:

1) Everything in the customizations mod is already included in the Rebalance mod. The mods also will not work together so definitely only install one of them at a time.

2) I've tried to change the amount of sprites that display based on the amount of men but have not succeeded in improving anything.

3) We are experimenting with giving units a morale regeneration bonus when multiple allied units are nearby. This won't quite be the same as SMG but it's as close as we can get currently. That change isn't released yet, we're working on a complete revamp of the combat system to hopefully reduce the ridiculous casualty rates.

4) Reloading speed is reduced when falling back or retreating. In the Rebalance Mod we have set it to nearly 0. It may be possible to reduce it while running or walking but would have to look into it more. 

About sprites of units size.

If you look, same times on sprites of some units.

So, they are showing size, but visual size of what?

Anyone have a bug where first few volleys or hits on a unit will cause hundreds of instant casualties??

I looked but I cant see anyone mentioning this. I had this on both sides meaning I have been on the recieving and delivering end of this huge volley. It can be shots from artilley or volley from a small skirmisher unit it will wipe out about 1/3 of any brigade that is hit. 

I had it on three seperate maps so far, I think it possibly happens on every map. Also it will happen more than once in the same battle. Just now in Shiloh playing as Confederacy, I had it near the church, then the next stage attacking the right flank my units coming in had 1.800 something men and first shots from one union brigade caused 800+ casualties instantly. 

I can post some pics if needed.

I have had at least 3 cases in my current campaign (just finished Chickamauga as BG on Union side) where I clicked on a unit I thought had been unengaged and found them with dozens or a couple hundred casualties.  I'd wondered, "How did that happen?" 

I've never noted a unit that had a third of its strength gone all at once though, and I never caught it happening. And, yes, I am attentive to whether I'm on a second or third day's battle, with casualties showing from previous days, and whether the unit in question is a game-supplied one not in my army which may have experienced "casualties" offscreen before the fight.

My most recent case was a Whitworth cannon brigade that suffered 30+ casualties from "somewhere." Because the game's range degradation curves actually make Whitworths more accurate at long range than mid-range, I always try to use them in their solid shot zone... and my rare and valuable Whitworths don't suffer many losses that way.

Edited by TechnoSarge