Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Gameplay Rebalance and Customizations created by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut. Thanks to TheSoldier, Adishee, Kristoph42, FiascoGames,  HiBob WarBob, and ArtemK for their contributions.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/NmHUGvq

Get the Mod here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0ebljmwqhppb8v/RebalanceModV1.28.4.zip?dl=0

GOG Version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7umb8gf8o8c1u6d/RebalanceModGoGV1.28.4.zip?dl=0

Install Instructions: 

Download RebalanceModV1.28.4 and extract the zip folder into your Ultimate General Civil War_Data directory.  You will be prompted to overwrite Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets

Uninstall Instructions:

Verify game files to restore the Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets and delete Ultimate General Civil War_Data/Mod folder

Mac Install Instructions: 

1) In Steam, right click UGCW and select Properties. 

2) Click local files, then select browse local files

3) right click 'Ultimate General Civil War' and select 'show package contents'

4) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/

a) Place the 'Mod' folder in Contents/

5) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/Resources/Data/

a) Copy the resources.assets file into /Data/

b) Copy the /Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll file from the mod release into the /Managed/ folder, overwriting the existing file

05/06/2023 Updated to 1.28.4

Changelog Highlights

- A Major General Light difficulty is now available. When starting a new campaign and selecting MG difficulty, a prompt will show up prior to entering your name. 
This difficulty is the same as MG except the AI units will be smaller and less experienced. This should be closer to playing MG in the base game or in earlier versions of the mod.
- AI weapons quality throughout the campaign has been standardized to be closer to what is used on legendary.
- All config files have been reorganized and comments have been added in the files to indicate what values do.

- Bugfixes and minor balance changes.

-Save game compatible.

Full changelog is in the /Mod/Rebalance/Change logs folder

6/30/2022 Updated to 1.28 

Added many bug fixes, balance adjustments, and UI improvements as well as the following major features. A full changelog is included in the install package under /Mod/Rebalance

Battle Rework: All battles through Antietam have had their timers, scaling, and deployment positions updated. This should reduce the ability to spawn camp and standardize timers for more consistently challenging battles. Some grand battles now have alternative deployment locations for some AI units to provide some more variety and encourage the player to have to scout rather than relying on prior knowledge.

Casualty System: Casualties taken during battles are now divided into killed, missing, badly wounded, and wounded.

Veterans: Adding veterans is now limited to the number of men in the player's veteran pool. This pool is filled by disbanding units that have participated in a battle or by taking casualties. The veteran pool tracks its own stats instead of veterans taking on the stat of the unit they are added to.

Digging in: Units will now automatically start to dig in when not moving.

Detached skirmishers: The AI Can now use them.

Overview of Mod Features:

The intention of the mod is to expand and improve the original game while also providing a more challenging experience on MG and Legendary difficulties. A variety of configuration options are also provided to allow the player to customize difficulty to their liking.

• All weapons, perks, and career points have been rebalanced and expanded upon with an emphasis on enabling specialization and trade offs. 

• Battles are now much more condition and morale focused. Units that are exhausted will be nearly helpless. Units will take fewer casualties, but morale damage has been increased to compensate. Units can also be destroyed sooner if reduced to 0 morale which reduces total casualties and speeds up end of battle cleanup.

• Unit size caps have been increased for the player and the AI. This allows the AI to scale to larger sizes in certain battles and for players to play with massive armies if they want to. Players can continue to use normal sized units while continuing to face roughly equivalently sized units in most cases.

• A variety of quality of life and UI improvements have been added along with changes to increase replayability of the campaign.

More details can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lvM9uwewxANmSoBXCKGPJSUKcpmM7IJJiv8plS8XMTg/edit?usp=sharing

Some general tips to get started.

• Tactics that work in the base game may no longer work or will be less effective.

• Do not overuse your units.  Let them rest and recover their condition, otherwise they will suffer major combat debuffs.

• Perks are much more valuable now, get them as soon as you can.

• Get a Major General to lead your corps as soon as you can.  

• Melee is very important and deadly early on but do not rely on it.  Melee becomes less effective as you progress through the campaign.

• Melee cavalry is good at cleaning up routing units, but charging units at full strength will result in high losses. Cavalry can also get into flanking positions to hit charging units before they reach your line.

• Muskets must get very close to deal decent damage, long range fire will be ineffective.

• Artillery and skirmishers will be less effective until they have 1-2 stars. 

• Detached skirmishers are weaker than in the base game. They cannot be deployed near enemy units and have a cooldown period before they can be reattached. They will also regenerate morale much slower if not near a normal unit.

• Merging units in battle removes any bonus they get from perks. Since shattered units return in camp now, it’s almost never worth merging anything but 0* units.

• Legendary can be extremely punishing, especially for the Union early on. When playing on this difficulty, and to a lesser extent on Major General, you may need to restart battles or the entire campaign multiple times before getting a good result.

• Combined arms and keeping your units within supporting range will help with managing AI charges. If you have 3-4 units backed up by artillery and with skirmishers or cavalry to fire at the flanks you can generally waver a unit before its charge lands even if outclassed in size and experience.

• Throwing multiple weaker units into melee is unlikely to overwhelm a larger more experienced unit until it gets tired. 

Over time there will be periodic updates to remaining battles in the campaign that have not yet been reworked. Keep checking back here for updates.

Feedback will be appreciated.  Have fun!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Modded weapons -> base game template(for damage fall off curves).
1855 -> palmetto
musket -> farmer
Sharps -> Colt Revolving rifle
whitworth -> fayetteville
HF1855 -> Lorenz
Lorenz -> 1855
1863 -> 1861
1865 -> 1863
1861 -> HF1855
Sharps 1859 -> Sharps 1855
Merrill -> Sharps 1859
Tarpley -> CS1862
E1856 -> Hunter
Colt 1855 -> Sharps
DNC -> Whitworth

Modded(V1.24) Artillery Damage Fall off curves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h6mke4wu4n3vqw/ModdedArtilleryWeaponCurves.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 2

Well this is great timing now that I`m just about done with my exams.

8 hours ago, JonnyH13 said:

Unit size caps have been increased for the player and the AI. The early game is now much harder on MG and Legendary. 

How does this work for AI scaling? Does this change the number of brigades the AI will bring to battle?

@aileycc The number of AI brigades has not been changed, though we will be doing that in a future campaign rework. In the base game the AI units can only scale to a max size of 2950 for infantry. In the mod that max size has been increased so scaling is effectively not capped. This change mostly just impacts MG and Legendary currently, though if the player makes their army large enough it should also be possible to see units larger than 2950 on Brigadier General.

Our current expectation is that this will increase the difficulty but that a reasonable size(not minimum scaling) army can still get through the campaign on Legendary. There are 1-2 battles that are extreme edge cases which may have to be changed going forward.

Since you made it possible to modify things in csv's pandakraut, would it be possible to export the unit cap value to a file as well? (csv, json, xml, yaml all is fine) I personally prefer playing smaller battles with smaller armies. I'm also under the impression the AI also performs better when it gets smaller brigades (but with more brigades) instead of larger ones.

Edited by limith

Excited to try this (tho won't have much time for the next couple of months). Do you know where I would find the appropriate folder in which to install this on a Mac?  I know I've installed one of your mods before but I can't find the folder this time.

@limith While technically possible, I'm currently overriding the unit size overrides in a method that get called very frequently. Putting a file read in there would likely cause performance issues. The good news is with a few exceptions you should be able to play without even noticing the increased sizes. If you keep your unit sizes small or even average you shouldn't even see over capped units before MG. On MG you will see a few slightly larger units on Shiloh and Bull Run because of the size of your allied units. Legendary will definitely have over capped units on those battles, but otherwise as long as you sustain a high enough kill ratio and keep your units small the scaling should still keep the AI units in your size range. 

Regarding Bull Run and Shiloh you can definitely get through though with 1k -1.5k units even on Legendary(maybe not union Shiloh Legendary still working on that myself). While your units will be much smaller than the over capped brigades (3.5k - 5k) with good positioning you can deal with them. The Legendary starts can be very punishing currently so if you are playing on that difficulty expect restarts. 

@quicksabre Do these steps work for you?

1) In your Steam games list, right click Ultimate General: Civil War and select properties
2) Click on the Local Files tab in the window that opened updated
3) Then select the Browse Local Files option, this will open a window to the location the game is installed at
4) Extract the mod zip in the Ultimate General Civil War_Data directory

Otherwise I think this is the path? I don't have a mac to test on. /Users/(YOUR USERNAME HERE)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/(NAME OF YOUR GAME FOLDER)/Ultimate General Civil War_data

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

1) In your Steam games list, right click Ultimate General: Civil War and select properties
3) Then select the Browse Local Files option, this will open a window to the location the game is installed at

Otherwise I think this is the path? I don't have a mac to test on. /Users/(YOUR USERNAME HERE)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/(NAME OF YOUR GAME FOLDER)

Hey Pandakraut, do you have to follow the steps you listed above, or if you know where the files are store you can manually go there and replace the files by copy/paste? Because that is what I did.... although I have not tried a new campaign yet.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

Otherwise I think this is the path? I don't have a mac to test on. /Users/(YOUR USERNAME HERE)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/(NAME OF YOUR GAME FOLDER)

I used those steps when I installed an earlier version of the mod and I remember it being pretty easy. That path is the one I tried first, but the only thing inside my UGCW folder is a folder called browser assets and the application itself. There is no directory called any variation of "data".

I also tried the save game location: /Users/(YOUR USERNAME HERE)/Library/Application Support/unity.Game Labs.Ultimate General Civil War but all that is in that folder are my save games and the game log.

I wasn't sure where else to look, and I don't remember how I did it last time.

Thanks!

@i64man As long as the files end up in the right spot in the game install directory it should work. Extracting the zip in the data folder should put everything in the right place but if you prefer to move things manually it should work. Just make sure the Mod folder goes into the data directory. If you start the battle of phillipi check the tooltips, unit composition, and if units move noticeably faster in column to verify if everything is working.

@quicksabre You could try searching for resources.assets or Assembly-CSharp.dll and see if that leads you to the installation folder. Can you PM me a screenshot of the UGCW folder that you described?

Thanks! Debating whether to finish my campaign (just to the peninsular campaign, but I don't have too much time to play so it represents a couple of weeks of play time for me), start a new one with the mod, or trying to port my game with the mod.

You will probably find that some of your weapon and perk choices aren't what you might want with the mod, but there are no technical limitations preventing you from continuing your current campaign. You'll probably find that you have some advantages and some disadvantages from a new campaign, so I would go with whatever you feel is a better use of time.

So when I try to play the mod, the battles won't start. If I click the "start" button on a custom battle, nothing happens. If I hit escape and try to return to the main menu, it gives me the quitting prompt but then nothing happens. If I try to start a new campaign, the briefing won't run. It seems to be related to the Assembly-CSharp.dll file. When I only replace the resources.assets file, the game runs fine and seems to exhibit some of the listed features (deadly melee, for one).

I should clarify - All of the mod features seems to be working when I have the Assembly-CSharp.dll file installed. I can see the new tooltips for weapons, officers are more expensive, etc. It's just that the battles don't seem to run.

Should I maybe have replaced the whole "Managed" folder rather than just the one file?

Only the Assembly-CSharp.dll should be changing in the managed folder. In the Ultimate General Civil War_data folder you only want to overwrite the resources.assets file and add the Mod folder. My best guess is that it can't find the unitModifers.csv and that is what is breaking the battle loads. Can you double check on that folder's location? You should probably see it right next to the Managed folder. 

Hm... So my problem might be that there are two Managed folders and two Data folders. One of the data folders is UGCW/Data, the other is UGCW/Resources/Data. Both have a folder called "Managed" within them. In the first, this is the only item, so the second seems to be the one where I need to install it.

edit: removed screenshots to keep thread clean.

Edited by quicksabre

The contents of the data folder in your first screenshot matches what I have in my data folder. The managed folder displayed in that screenshot right above the Mod folder would be were I would expect the dll to go. Sorry I'm not more help here, without a mac to test on I'm mostly just guessing.