Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

On 8/12/2018 at 11:42 PM, JonnyH13 said:

Updated to 1.22

Should this patch have added an extra career point?

Because prior to the update pre-Shiloh I had 4 Econ, 5 Training/AO. a 1 Log/Recon

As you can see from the screen capture, I have another point to allocate pre-Shiloh.

Edited by BCH

Some of my testing code didn't get pulled. One of these days we'll have a release where we manage to catch all of these things before posting ><

Once Jonny gets online we'll get this fixed. For now you just have 9 extra career points, so just don't assign them if you don't want to cheat.

1 hour ago, echelbergere said:

@pandakraut Has anyone else reported not being able to start battles in save games or treeless, unitless new campaigns?  I am experiencing this with the new version.

Nothing so far. I just tried a new campaign and it loaded without issue. No problems loading in battle or old save either. I would recommend reverifying your game files and reinstalling the mod and hopefully that will clear up whatever the issue is.

Hm.  I've tried a couple things and even with the new download I am still seeing a mostly plain map (no trees, units) and the units in the battle are all listed at 0 soldiers when selected from the bottom bar.  Any ideas?  Thanks to you both.  Great mod.  Version 1.21 worked like a charm.  Do I need to keep the old mod folder's aiconfig and config documents?  I had been going from a clean install each time and extracting to the data folder.  I may have pulled the trigger on that post just as you reuploaded.  Trying now.

Edited by echelbergere
New Info

On 8/12/2018 at 11:48 PM, pandakraut said:

@BCH I think the latest changes should help slightly? Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

Artillery capture and the end of day bugs should be fixed. Note the config files have been moved and are now located at Ultimate General Civil War_data/Mod/Rebalance.

Looks like it helps the AI.. ;)

I had more units surrender than ever before, including a top brigade that was not flanked and was supported by artillery.. started at 1200 strength and surrendered with 1000+.

I had the Confederates stretched back to the Hornet's Nest, and was attacking their flanks as they pushed to the VP. Biggest issue is they capture the VP while being south of the breastworks. I was unable to recapture the VP even with a unit sitting in the breastworks and a unit on the VP; it never even started to fade.

I had a double line at the VP, with Buell's brigades in the breastworks. Buell's brigades (especially the 1 star), break almost as soon as they are engaged in melee. I could try putting the second line right behind the rear of the first with no gap.

As you can see, almost 2.500 surrendered

Edited by BCH

9 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

There shouldn't really have been any changes to the surrender probability. Perhaps there were bad rolls in terms of melee perks and melee rifles. 

Must have been Southern Sympathizers then...

Not sure what the objectives were in version 1.22a, but playing on MG level is significantly harder.

I just restarted Bull Run for the third time; CSA cavalry now cross streams as if they were not an obstacle at all. This means the initial Union forces are cut to pieces (especially artillery) even when in a defensive position.

Below, I am attempting to just hold the ford (3d restart); I had to pull back from the bridge because the CSA artillery batteries greatly out range me (and out number me) and where decimating both an infantry and artillery brigade.

Here the CSA cavalry are about to capture the previously un-spotted Union cavalry, after making a bee-line to them.

Here I am pulling back the 1st Ohio, and attempting to move up the 2nd Ohio to defend the batteries that are about to be flanked by CSA cavalry. I end up loosing 1 1/2 batteries here. And what is not apparent below is that CSA forces have also crossed the Stone Bridge and have my units flanked from that side as well.

Meanwhile, I Corp has arrived and are marching to Matthew Hill. Only to find CSA units already advancing toward them.

The Union brigades are not even close to going in line and the CSA brigades are almost to the default rallying point for the Union here.

Below, the 1st La Tigers charge Hoover while taking a volley from each of the Union brigades as it moves by the front (never fazed the 1st La); the charge continues right into the brigades in the rear. The CSA unit is routed by artillery fire and destroyed by the Union Cavalry (a small victory in an otherwise disastrous major battle).

Below, Bee's Brigade has routed a 1 star Brigade under Gibbons, and has engaged Loomis in melee (Loomis is about to rout as well); Bee's brigade was flanked when it engaged Gibbon, still flanked while it engages Loomis and is now taking canister rounds. Bee's brigade only wavers after it engages the 143rd PA Inf.

CSA Barstow was starting to engage, but was distracted by Union cavalry attacking the CSA batteries (lost the Union cavalry because they would not disengage).

Edited by BCH
added jpeg

12 minutes ago, BCH said:

CSA Barstow was starting to engage, but was distracted by Union cavalry attacking the CSA batteries (lost the Union cavalry because they would not disengage).

maxed out my uploads, final screen shot will need to wait.

How do I delete old uploads? Found it..

Edited by BCH
addl text

Apparently I shouldn't try to work on 3 different releases at the same time...

What you are experiencing is that we found how to change some of the generic AI behaviors. There is a suicidal AI setting that results in the AI ignoring everything else and searching out the player units. This works less than well on several battles where the AI is supposed to be defending. The solution for Bull run would probably be to setup a defensive position on one of the rivers, destroy the AI defensively and then push the objective. Not sure if you have the time to pull it off though.

Anyways, this change was clearly not intended to be included at this time and we're working on getting this corrected.

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

There is a suicidal AI setting that results in the AI ignoring everything else and searching out the player units.

Pretty sure I found it.. :)

I will play out Bull Run before I load the update.. should be an interesting battle. I will see how they fair charging a line backed by mass artillery batteries.

Doubt that I can beat the timer, but it will be interesting

7 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Apparently I shouldn't try to work on 3 different releases at the same time...

What you are experiencing is that we found how to change some of the generic AI behaviors. There is a suicidal AI setting that results in the AI ignoring everything else and searching out the player units. This works less than well on several battles where the AI is supposed to be defending. The solution for Bull run would probably be to setup a defensive position on one of the rivers, destroy the AI defensively and then push the objective. Not sure if you have the time to pull it off though.

Anyways, this change was clearly not intended to be included at this time and we're working on getting this corrected.

The change would be interesting if you could get it to work in the following manner:

1. Only allow a maximum 1-3 brigades in any given battle to charge in that manner.

2. Greatly limit the chance of it happening in any given battle

There are examples from the American Civil War where a 'suicidal charge' has a positive result.

An example would be during the 1st day of Gettysburg. The 149th PA Inf. Regiment with fixed bayonets charges into Daniels Brigade made up of the 32nd North Carolina, 45th NC, 2nd NC, 43rd NC, and the 53rd NC regiments and drives Daniels off of the Railroad Cut.

(Full account is found in Stone's Brigade and the Fight for McPherson Farm, Battle of Gettysburg July 1 1863, James J. Dougherty author)

Outcome of Bull Run with the 'suicidal charge'..

Overall it came down to time..

Massed artillery decimated the CSA brigades when they charged.. unfortunately two of them charging together back to back, then routed behind my lines. That required me to divert three brigades to take care of them when they recovered and headed toward my artillery. CSA cavalry crossed streams with little impairment, I did manage to capture Stuarts Cavalry before they destroyed any of my batteries completely.

I was still fighting up hill when Johnston arrives and starts a counter attack.

I counted 15 suicide charges including cavalry in the battle; with most of the CSA units down to half strength or less when they charged.

As I said earlier, if you could get this 'feature' down to 1 to 3 units total in a battle; and have a 15-20% chance of it happening at all...

Edited by BCH

1 hour ago, BCH said:

As I said earlier, if you could get this 'feature' down to 1 to 3 units total in a battle; and have a 15-20% chance of it happening at all...

This is definitely a testing 'how far can we push this setup'. Any sort of actual implementation would see significant changes. Thanks for giving it a try though :)

Edited by pandakraut

Phillipi as Union with 1.22b

One glitch:

Union unit on far right flank of the town in the open area next to the river during the CSA counter attack; advances forward when the F key is pressed. At that point there is no longer any control of that unit, even though it has not yet wavered. You can select the unit, but any and all commands are ignored including the facing. This is the same behavior that I witnessed with a skirmisher unit in the same location several campaigns back.

Each time a CSA brigade has been quickly advancing on the right flank, and to avoid melee I try to move the Union unit back a bit. (this issue is not related to the 1.22b update, as it was experienced in the 1.21 version as well).

Unrelated issue:

Walton's brigade was split into two 800 man units; at the time of the CSA counter-attack, one unit was at 720 and the other unit was at 535. Both split brigades remain at close that amount of men at the end of the battle, with the 720 unit accounting for a great many more CSA casualties.

After the win, in camp I end up with the smaller of the two split brigades for Walton (534) and of course a lot less experience earned for that brigade.

Is this working as intended?

7 minutes ago, BCH said:

Union unit on far right flank of the town in the open area next to the river during the CSA counter attack; advances forward when the F key is pressed. At that point there is no longer any control of that unit, even though it has not yet wavered. You can select the unit, but any and all commands are ignored including the facing. This is the same behavior that I witnessed with a skirmisher unit in the same location several campaigns back.

There seems to be an issue with the pathing in that area. Same issue exists in the base game. You can usually get around this by holding down right click and angling the unit where you want it to fall back to.

9 minutes ago, BCH said:

Walton's brigade was split into two 800 man units; at the time of the CSA counter-attack, one unit was at 720 and the other unit was at 535. Both split brigades remain at close that amount of men at the end of the battle, with the 720 unit accounting for a great many more CSA casualties.

After the win, in camp I end up with the smaller of the two split brigades for Walton (534) and of course a lot less experience earned for that brigade.

Is this working as intended?

No, any units that go to camp shouldn't get split.

47 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

There seems to be an issue with the pathing in that area. Same issue exists in the base game. You can usually get around this by holding down right click and angling the unit where you want it to fall back to.

No, any units that go to camp shouldn't get split.

I will go back and double check, I have a save from right before Phillipi is captured and a screen shot.

I will try to join the split brigades to see if that changes the out-come.

8 minutes ago, BCH said:

I will go back and double check, I have a save from right before Phillipi is captured and a screen shot.

I thought I had added a check to prevent those units from being split, but I must have missed something. Will have to fix it in a future release.

8 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

I thought I had added a check to prevent those units from being split, but I must have missed something. Will have to fix it in a future release.

Well in my case it was not a real detriment to the up coming Distress Call battle; I had captured a CSA brigade of 300+ and exchanged them for 500+ men. I would have liked to have had the full allotment of '61 Springfields that I technically did not lose in the battle, but I recovered enough of them to bring Walton up to almost 900 out fitted with the '61s.

Refitting Walton and retaining the 2 star status was a bit expensive at $17,000; but Scales and Loomis were able to refit to 1,000 each with recruits and both are 3/4 of the  way to their 2nd star.

As I said in the previous post; I will replay from my save and try to join the split Walton brigades. If that results in the Walton brigade being in better shape after the battle, then that strategy can be used by others until a future release.