Game-Labs Forum

A suggestion that suggestions should have feedback

+1 I'm still waiting on a response to this suggestion that got overwhelming support and I think would really improve the game, even when tagging the admin. With a response I would know whether it's "good idea but we're busy on x/y/z but it's on the list" or "no not a good idea because x/y/z" or "we are unable to do this currently because x/y/z

too many good suggestions that aren't getting dev attention. Here's the suggestion btw :) 
http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25424-spotting-from-land-realism-suggestion/

Everyone who's posted a good suggestion that didn't get a response should post it in this thread!

Edited by Slim McSauce

10 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

A suggestion that suggestions should have feedback.

Often people make suggestions and nothing is said by the team. Why was it (not) a good idea etc? That way we can get on the same wavelength.

I guess if they did give feedback on all suggestions then it would be a full time job replying to all the suggestions that would be raised. But I do get your point that there have been many good suggestions that do warrant some sort of response as to why it would not work or why they cannot implement it.

I don't think responses to all suggestions are a good use of development team time, What I would prefer to see is a community rating score so ideas can be bounced off a system of peer review then the better ideas would be more easily targeted by devs and hopefully this would also lead to better ideas getting the most attention too. Then say after so much score and votes the devs could give a response, although by no means should it stop a response happening earlier on.

This could be one of the main objectives for the community contributors,

they could Review suggestions put forward, and if a majority of them feel they are good, they can be discussed with the dev Team.

• Like 1

I don't imagine it would take too much time to respond to the suggestions. After all, we spend time making them so we should at least know whether or not we're just wasting our time, which it certainly feels like most of the time.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

whether or not we're just wasting our time

*sigh*

With all due respect, Sir... is this even for real ?!

Nevermind, no need to answer.

Snappy salute.

6 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

*sigh*

With all due respect, Sir... is this even for real ?!

Nevermind, no need to answer.

Snappy salute.

The fact that you had to reply to show your dissatisfaction with his statement proves that suggestions with even 75% community support by way of likes/dissents should be offered a response by devs/staff, no matter how minor.

If a suggestion has 20+ likes and a dozen +1s in the comments with no major dissenting opinions, it should be forwarded to the opinion of the developers. It's probably a good idea if our jaded community can find no wrongs in it.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaimundoJoe said:

U are a moderator,  right? Why the need to feel superiour towards us mere mortals?

You are sorely confused.

Participating within a game development discussion, fueling ideas and having a good time in a hobby is never a waste of time.

That's how it goes.

Now if you want to raise a fist I suggest you find yourself another picture on the wall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

You are sorely confused.

Participating within a game development discussion, fueling ideas and having a good time in a hobby is never a waste of time.

That's how it goes.

Now if you want to raise a fist I suggest you find yourself another picture on the wall.

are those ideas going anywhere, that's the question.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

You are sorely confused.

That's how it goes.

Well that's the thing, it's not really participating because participating implies that it's two way.

It seems like many folks are just talking to a wall. That isn't participating, it's wasting time.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Absolutely !

I'd say most of the game is built on community fueled ideas :)

it seems like the devs take the loudest opinions with the most controversy around them at the time, ignoring the good, quiet ones that no one is really talking about but people mostly agree on. Many ideas go under the rug because they only get half a dozen supporting replies but no negative replies to drum up more responses, so the suggestion sinks to the bottom without a reply even though it could have a dozen of likes to it.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

People just want to know that the effort the put into making suggestions is at the very least read by someone on the dev team.  There have been countless suggestions on here that have gone without a single reply from anyone.  A simple button that the devs can click that says  "read" would be enough.

I would not be so optimistic about an idea pool where users can vote for their favorites and thus expect developers *must* pick the most popular and integrate it into the game.

--

This is a private programming business, after all, and no democratic institution. They can chose their way, if you like it or not. Or if many of us like one idea or not.

I give a hint towards the idea pool which was set up last year by another indy developer I take interest in, KEEN softwarehouse in Prague, CZ. Just like the one you are suggesting here. On top and most popular is, for this sandbox game which deals with building star ships etc (Space Engineers, now in beta), the re-introduction of ladders. While this is already available from a mod in workshop. Anyway, this is the top choice by community (not mine) and devs there don't want to do it. Such idea pool and voting thing is good for creativity, but more than suggestions, in fact as you do now in *this* forum, you seriously cannot expect.

Here is what I am referring to: https://feedback.keenswh.com/

From point of view of the developer, this is great for inspirations. From point of view of the gamers participating in Alpha, it functions as a tool for measuring popularity. As I said before, popularity does not necessarily push developers to what the community wants.

How about deleting useless comments not related to suggestions? I have read a few and noticed a lot of trolling and derailing that simply destroys the whole suggestion point. 

Edited by Montauban

It's a 2 guys dev team. I don't know what people expect them to be. 24h forums active plus the rest of the 28h day coding?

I know everyone feels to be important and wants instant answers by devs but where would we end up?

Looking at the game and suggestion thread I see many suggestions that got in-game. So it seems to work.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, z4ys said:

It's a 2 guys dev team. I don't know what people expect them to be. 24h forums active plus the rest of the 28h day coding?

I know everyone feels to be important and wants instant answers by devs but where would we end up?

Looking at the game and suggestion thread I see many suggestions that got in-game. So it seems to work.

What happened to the rest? Newcomers mostly feel abandoned when they see no replies or updates. I know this from other game forums. People quickly get upset and leave. 

Edited by Montauban

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

You are sorely confused.

That's how it goes.

Well, a lot of people thinks that HERE it is a waste of time.

And BTW that's NOT how "IT goes" at all, but just how YOU think it should go.

Edited by victor

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

It's a 2 guys dev team. I don't know what people expect them to be.

And that's exactly the very point. Think about the fact that Game labs have sold 130.000 copies of the game for about 40 bucks each .... make some math and then you will realize why someone could feel upset.

Edited by victor