Game-Labs Forum

Future of Ultimate General?

templarteppo

Greetings.  I have been a fan of Nicks work since his days back in the Total War community.  The Ultimate General series is the best battlefield simulator of the era it has covered, that I have ever played.  However it seems that there has been no confirmation of future Ultimate General games and thus bringing this awesome game formula to different eras.   The developers and Nick in particular have a winning formula here and it would be an absolute shame for them not to follow up UG:CW with future titles in the same vein as Ultimate General. 

Hello Salty and thanks for the image.  That image is certainly a tease.  Interesting.  The battle system has been almost perfectly nailed down, now the devs need to make a proper open ended sandbox campaign like in the Total War series for example.  If I'm not mistaken, Nick once said he wanted to have that in his game. 

• Like 1

if i remeber right, long time ago, there was a poll...what should be the next part:

1. war of independence

2. napolionic wars

imo, independence war would be awesome, because there so many games with napoleon...but from balance...would be napolionic wars,the better choice...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salty Sails said:

if i remeber right, long time ago, there was a poll...what should be the next part:

1. war of independence

2. napolionic wars

imo, independence war would be awesome, because there so many games with napoleon...but from balance...would be napolionic wars,the better choice...

Would be nice if they start with the French and Indian war though than they can go on from there and so many battles and war around that time too.  I would love to see some more battles added to UG:CW too like the Battle of Pea Ridge (had family fight in that one).

38 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Would be nice if they start with the French and Indian war though than they can go on from there and so many battles and war around that time too.  I would love to see some more battles added to UG:CW too like the Battle of Pea Ridge (had family fight in that one).

At this moment in time, there are no plans to add further content to Civil War as the game was considered "complete" by the Developers when it received the v1.09 patch.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:23 AM, The Marinadtor said:

The picture is a depiction of resting french soldiers in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870.

Actually it depicts French soldiers during military maneuvres in the late 1880s or 90s. If you look closely those are Lebel rifles. The soldiers are dreaming about the napoleonic victories, therefore I think it`s safe to assume that`s where UG will be heading next.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe in time many of the line-battle/gunpowder era wars can be made with enough historical research support to the developers. However, if we could only have one, the American Revolutionary War would be fantastic. It's a smaller scale, but just reduce base unit size from the brigade to the regiment. I actually prefer the smaller engagements anyway because I have no confidence in AI division commanders and otherwise have to pause to micromanage troops in a large battle or at least play at 1/2 speed.

But the Rev War - 8 years across New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and the Southern Colonies. Maybe even Quebec. Lexington and Concord as the first skirmish of a campaign and potentially ending at Yorktown if the Patriots survive the war. The developers could model British troops and German Hessians (maybe easy enough to also do the green outfits of Queens Rangers?), as well as Continentals and militia (with very poor morale and simple farmers clothes) for the Americans and even French troops at the end of the war. There is certainly more or less that could be done there but that would depend on the developers' art resources. 

Yes balance could be an issue, but you could argue balance was an issue in making UGCW too. The Confederates were handicapped for manpower and economy/industry. Their advantage seemed to be a lot of fighting on the defensive and leadership superiority. In the American Revolution, maybe the American side would only need to draw battles by sustaining less than some percent casualties and prolonging the war while the British side would have the same reputation points system that both sides have in UGCW. Just some quick suggestions but I'm sure this community could come up with a bunch to make this an engaging follow up title.

I would buy this game in a heartbeat if it lives up at all to UGCW.

• 1 year later...