Game-Labs Forum

Please for the love of god please fix loot mechanics....

7 minutes ago, admin said:

Me too. 
I just dont have enough evidence (anecdotal or video). I personally do not have problems with loot pick up. I also dont see this as a problem on live streams.

But if it exists we can increase the time to sink for vessels. (which was increased twice over the last year) and can be increased again if necessary (range). 

@admin  That would really help !

yea in streams it's not allways a Problem... but in streams you not often see peoples that goes to sink a 25er fleet AI. And i think too in dangerous PvP action you will not see the guys looting. aslong they dont fight against noobs where you anyway got enough time to what ever you want

Edited by the Kidd

9 minutes ago, admin said:

Me too. 
I just dont have enough evidence (anecdotal or video) that will prove that loot pick up is impossible.
I personally do not have problems with loot pick up. I also dont see this as a problem on live streams.

But if is a problem for a majority and the problem exists for everyone we can increase the time to sink for vessels. (which was increased twice over the last year) and can be increased again if necessary (range). 

I try to make a point of holding the fatal shots until the ship is in a better position to loot, however the only time I really run into an issue is when the when suddenly changes and a ship that was once downwind and very lootable is suddenly upwind and very unlootable :D

If the sinking is relative to time compression then this is an issue too. Why does my ship react so slowly then? So it takes me how long to tack or come about? I believe there should be no time compression in battle instances. It is seriously annoying all this damn daytime/nighttime changing in battle. Why do we need time compression in battle instances. When did battles ever take days to complete?

• Like 1

Just now, Sir William Hargood said:

If the sinking is relative to time compression then this is an issue too. Why does my ship react so slowly then? So it takes me how long to tack or come about? I believe there should be no time compression in battle instances. It is seriously annoying all this damn daytime/nighttime changing in battle. Why do we need time compression in battle instances. When did battles ever take days to complete?

9 minutes ago, the Kidd said:

@admin Youre right... the time is probably in a good relation and it could be realistic.... but it is no fun -> and i dont think your argument works at all. i mean you say 1 min real time are 72 mins in game. with this logic my boat should sail in fight also 72x faster -> shoot 72x faster etc.

I mean it works for open world -> there you've got this time buff but in combat zone your back in realtime... so a boat should be longer loootable not only because that should be realistic because it's realtime it's also no fun with this frustration situation now. Do you know what i mean ?

Thats exactly what ive tryed to explain

1 hour ago, admin said:

Even if charges were not set to let the fleets to show respects properly (would be harder if it sank in 1 min or completely exploded)

The sinking of the Implacable (And the history of her) is very interesting, if you're interested I'd suggest you read about her - can spend hours doing so... Anyways.. back on topic; She was supposed to sink faster, the three hours was a mistake. They filled the ship with pigiron hoping she would go down immediately, the explosion ripped her apart and all the ballast fell out.

As we both know ship sinking times varied greatly depending on damage and tonnage

1 hour ago, admin said:

Current in game hours to RL hours conversion fits perfectly with what you have said. 
Correct me if am wrong of course but 3 hours is how many mins in game time? 

You'd know this better than I, you decided the RL to in-game conversion hours - you're the boss..

I merely confirmed @Sir William Hargood's statement regarding the Bounty's sinking time and wanted to share the rather sad story of the Implacable. Your game was never mentioned.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Also - if you board the vessel it does not sink. It only sinks if you completely destroy its structural strength, which in turn makes sinking time somewhat fine. 

Good point.

How do you feel about further increasing realism and make looting impossible on a sinking ship? By that I mean only allow access to the enemy hold if they surrender or you board - if any skillbook/upgrades are dropped, grant them automatically to the captain who sunk the ship post-battle.

2 hours ago, Sir William Hargood said:

OMG please Devs please improve the loot mechanics: Doesnt't my ship have a fucking longboat in which I can row to the goddamn wreck to loot. Really? I am literally next to the wreck and cannot loot. Either the loot distance or the sinking speed must change...Wooden ships wallowed in the water much longer while foundering...remember the footage of the Bounty that sank in 2012 in Hurricane Sandy off North Carolina? She was awash for quite some time. Please guys the last 6 ships I was right next to and couldn't loot. Its very very very frustrating. Especially since this is the only way to get essential books and stuff for PVP.

IRL you could send a boat over...

But IRL you would also be expected to evacuate the whole enemy crew. So count your blessings.

• Like 1

This isn't going to go away.  Sure the better players have this figured out, but the new player may not even realize he can loot ships, let alone be able to maneuver into place in time.  And then there are the encounters with OW fleets - where all the good loot comes from - one player vs many, boarding and looting 4-5 ships in one engagement?  likely not, only way to loot is sink and maneuver while under fire alongside if possible...

Or it ends up like a chess match....   where you have to plan the battle around looting...  

4 hours ago, Sir William Hargood said:

OMG please Devs please improve the loot mechanics: Doesnt't my ship have a fucking longboat in which I can row to the goddamn wreck to loot. Really? I am literally next to the wreck and cannot loot. Either the loot distance or the sinking speed must change...Wooden ships wallowed in the water much longer while foundering...remember the footage of the Bounty that sank in 2012 in Hurricane Sandy off North Carolina? She was awash for quite some time. Please guys the last 6 ships I was right next to and couldn't loot. Its very very very frustrating. Especially since this is the only way to get essential books and stuff for PVP.

Although I agree that the loot mechanics could be better, using the reality argument in this case does not work, because although ships may take quite a long time to completely sink and they may be awash for several hours, in reality the would very quickly be at a stage where the cargo become inaccessible and very few people would be willing to go aboard to remove items.

In general the biggest problems I find with looting AI are the risk of insta-boarding if you get too close, the fact that they seem to be able to keep reloading and firing broadsides up till the last second (I have been in battles with AI where majority of the damage taken has been after I have them sinking), and the fact that while you are looting the other AI are sitting at range sniping your stern and wrecking your crew.

My biggest gripe with looting though is the rarity of important drops, it is just ridiculous that after grinding to five slots on all 1st, 2nd and 3rd rate ships and many other ships against OW AI fleets I still lack some of the rare drops for gunnery encyclopedia. They should bring in an exchange system based on the rarity of the drops so you can exchange drops of equal rarity. Its just frustrating sitting with 5 Tables of parts of ships of war yet unable to get L'horizon Balistique or Means of directing fire. I am always left feeling that that AI ship I was unable to loot was the one that had that wanted drop.

Edited by Archaos

On 4/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, z4ys said:

How will crates magical leave the hold? They are even tied together....

If you care about cargo then board. If you care more about pvp marks then sink it.

How do you magically enter in the cargo (full of water) of a sinking wood vessel? 

Realism card is just a cheap card here: Devs play this card when they need to defend some of their choices and do not play it (while playing the "it's a game" card) when they need to defend their other choices.

Point is that they have their tabu and, no matter what, they will keep some mechanics ingame even if a lot of people dislike it.

This forum is full of smart proposals that have been totally ignored and the game is full of changes that no one asked for. So basically I have reached the conclusion that there is no actual point in proposing and debating too much about features or game mechanics: just put there your two cents and that's it. 

Steam reviews and the number of players are just there to show us and them the plain truth about how good are game mechanics.

Time and numbers are the best (and merciless) judges. There is no argument against them.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

I like the the challange of looting another ship when I am in a big one. I have to plan my kill :) 

But come on, why would a Lineship sail next to a frig to loot? They will send boats to do the job. Give us sailboats with very limited cargo space ;) , so it would be historicaly accurate ?

On 4/30/2018 at 12:55 PM, admin said:

But if is a problem for a majority and the problem exists for everyone we can increase the time to sink for vessels. (which was increased twice over the last year) and can be increased again if necessary (range). 

Increased range symbolizes the use of longboats someone mentioned rightfully. So it makes sense. Eye candy - when done with animations of boats leaving your ship and returning with the loot. But without animations still better than now, so I should not ask too much at a time. :)

[since we have beautiful ships and a beautiful Caribbean world, thinking of eye candy is just in line with the overall picture]

On 4/30/2018 at 6:21 AM, admin said:

I don't know man. We had auto loot and i like this implementation better. Its not like we randomly place the enemy ship far away. Where loot is - is under full control by the player.
Auto loot is impossible technically due to reward system rework last year. 

Can you spit out floating loot around the ship? Barrels and boxes. It would be much easier for guys to pick them up by just clicking on them without stopping. 

Edited by Montauban

• 2 weeks later...

I have effectively solved the loot issue. I go out in an Endymion or any other highly maneuverable ship in company with a fleet ship like a Bucentaure to take all the punches and dish out the damage. I easily handle 2-3 Frigate AI fleets with 4-5 small ships no problem and have no issues with looting them all. I want to try the Endy with 2 heavy fourth rates.

Devs, I apologize for my emotive post above.

@Sir William Hargood you can do it alone, in a second rate. Just save your final broadside when you are in a position to kill and loot. Only problem will be the 6th rate and smaller enemy ships, as the may sink quicker.

Easier way is big ship plus a suprise, belle pule friend in your team.

This is a guide for attacking ai fleets.

http://bccnavalaction.freeforums.net/thread/58/obtain-books-upgrades-attacking-fleets

• Like 1

Random, but 4th rates and above have more chances. But given statistics are what they are. o7

Stay upwind most of the fight. There will be zero issues reaching any wreck unless everything develops far from a heavily damaged AI which eventually sinks.

23 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@Sir William Hargood you can do it alone, in a second rate. Just save your final broadside when you are in a position to kill and loot. Only problem will be the 6th rate and smaller enemy ships, as the may sink quicker.

Easier way is big ship plus a suprise, belle pule friend in your team.

This is a guide for attacking ai fleets.

http://bccnavalaction.freeforums.net/thread/58/obtain-books-upgrades-attacking-fleets

Your right, but how many new players have a lost a ship by being boarded after approaching a ship before it was fully sunk. 

Just now, Fletch67 said:

Your right, but how many new players have a lost a ship by being boarded after approaching a ship before it was fully sunk. 

Every single NA player was a new player once... sooooo... all of us ?! 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fletch67 said:

My only advice, approach the sinking AI ship if you have more crew, otherwise wait, see it is sunk and go loot. It will insta board you if it has more crew. So you may use hammocks on you ship. For low levels, I recommend frigates from shop, as they have more crew and costs 112k, is all around, good sailor, good gun power etc. Using the Determined Defender perk can help a lot.

Unfortunately if new players do not look for info, they will learn by experience like most of us.

Edited by AeRoTR